Options

Lack of energy at Philly II

Comments

• Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    JenInTheBx wrote:
    I was sitting in the middle of section 202... the crowd rocked back there, lots of energy, however, neither Fanch or I could see shit night 2.
    i was section 202 row b on mikes side. the crowd was really good i thought. singing along and bouncing around (some). i took a friend who loves PJ as much as the next guy but started off the show with his arms crossed just because thats who he is. he was jumping around and screaming by the end though!
  • Options
    kalusskaluss Posts: 38
    the crowd was great last night...and the band felt it. no doubt about it.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Bullshit! They were awesome! Way better than night one too...

and ill quote ed... "fuck it, I WANNA STAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, why cant i stay?" during rockin in the free world;)

good stuff, had a blast!
  • Options
    StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    I have to say I'm sorry. I've been calling the Camden shows "Philly." This is a true insult to the beautiful City of Brotherly Love. For that I'm sorry. Camden is a word class shit hole. It should be wiped from the face of the planet. I truly wish the shows really were in Philly, as I love that city. However, because the posters say "Philadelphia," I will continue to call them Philly shows. Just know that I do know the difference, and anything negative I have to say about those shows, the venue, or the city of Camden, are in no way directed at the people or city of Philadelphia.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I thought the Sunday night crowd was great. From where I was (Section 200, Row C) I had a clear line of sight to the stage and it looked to me like the majority of the 100 sections was pretty energetic. Great fucking set too. This weekend was well worth the trip!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    Stryker420 wrote:
    Maybe it was because I was just coming off both Boston show, but the crowd last night seemed very sedate. Aside from the people in the first 2 rows the whole place looked like a bunch of Zombies until the second encore. It was such a downer. I was the only person jumping up and down and singing every song where I was sitting. And people looked like they were bothered by it. Mind you I was only about 20 rows back, everybody should have been rocking out. This was by far the weakest crowd of the 4 shows I've been to on this tour. In fact it was probably the weakest crowd of any PJ show I've been to. And the band really feeds off the crowd energy. It was like everytime they tried to get something going, the crowed just tried to smother them.

Dude you should have looked behind you, I was in 104 row Z and i was rockin out! i noticed people all the way to the left and to the back of 104 werent moving like the rest of the place but other than that theres not much to complain about.... haha by the end of the last set i was covered in sweat. man what a sweet last set!! oh btw the vip section right behind was ROCKIN OUT TOO.
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    OnceDividedOnceDivided Posts: 83
    From my seat in section 102 the crowd seemed great.
  • Options
    Mr. ChubbyMr. Chubby Posts: 19
    I was in 202 and definitely didnt get that impression. ONly drag was some asshole in row I that fucking puked 5 songs in. If you cant hold your dope dont smoke ya fucking rookie.

Maybe it depends on where you are. I thought Camden II was more insane then Camden I, but i was on the lawn for Part I. Horrible scene up there, im sticking.
    Well, thats just like, your opinion man.
  • Options
    jinxcat23jinxcat23 Posts: 2
    I was in the 7th row on Stone's side. the crowd was awesome!!
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Some energetic people in our section (200, middle row P area). Some fun dudes in front of us taking each others' pictures and band pictures, really into it. We get into it. Not too many people around us really recognized Leash until it really got going. Mixed group I guess - quiet people on either side of us, but who cares. Did you have fun at the show? Did you enjoy the music? Did YOU have energy? Were you considerate of your neighbors (ie. not puking on their seats etc...) If so, none of the rest of it matters....
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    all you people talking about how the crowd was bad at camden 1...what the fuck?!?!

one of the best crowds I have ever been apart of, people were going FUCKIN NUTS!! I cant speak for the lawn though but my section (202) was going fuckin crazy and the people up near the stage were fuckin great too....every song was a sing a long! i didnt feel like an idiot jumping up and down screaming the lyrics like i did in hartford, because most of the people in camden were doing the same!!

i agree 100%. i was also in section 202 and the energy of the crowd AND the band was out of control. it was like a giant pj orgy. :D
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    jhinkle1114jhinkle1114 Posts: 207
    Yep, ton of energy last night...and I was in the Lawn! I missed out on fan club tics for the 2nd night. Kind of glad I did as I have a super high number (just joined this spring) and was near the back of the pavillion. Had more fun being a little further back in the front of the lawn and being able to see the video screens.

Crowd was into it all night for sure, even in the lawn.

Best show I've seen.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, DC
    2008: DC, Ed DC II
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Posts: 249
    I was at the 2 Boston shows and both philly/camden shows. And I have to say the Pit fans at Tweeter were pretty lame. The sitting during the encore break and not making any noise, to me, was disrespectful. There's a spoiled expectation that the boys will be coming out for multiple encores like its routine. At one point during philly 1 Matt Cameron had to come out and tell the fans to get into it. I was embarrassed.

After seeing them over 40 times including Boston 1 (which had one of the most intense crowds ever) and an epic show at the Spectrum in 2003 with a great crowd so I know not all the fans in the first section are lame asses, but the Pit fans in Philly definitely were this time around.

(second night was a better crowd, but the sitting down was still lame...is the fanbase aging too much to rock out for over two hours anymore?)
    "I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    ontheroad wrote:
    The sitting during the encore break and not making any noise, to me, was disrespectful.
    LOL!
    So sitting down for 2 minutes after standing for 2 hours is disrespectful to a band that at that very minute was probably SITTING backstage?
    ontheroad wrote:
    There's a spoiled expectation that the boys will be coming out for multiple encores like its routine

It IS routine. Tell me the last show they haven't done that? Are you trying to say that we are lucky the band does encores? Give me a break.
    ontheroad wrote:
    is the fanbase aging too much to rock out for over two hours anymore?
    From what you are saying about the crowd, that appears to be the case

ontheroad wrote:
    I was embarrassed.
    This is my favorite quote from your entire post. You were personally embarassed that the fans of a band that last time I checked, YOU AREN'T IN, sat down during an encore. For what it's worth, I sat down during the encore break and enjoyed every second of it. Thanks so much for the laugh.
  • Options
    I'll preface this response by saying I had an absolute blast at both the Philly shows...loved the setlists and the performances...just great rock n roll. This is just an observation of the crowd in my area; supposedly the longest and biggest pearl jam fans in the ampitheater:

While encores are routine for a PJ show, they aren't for many acts. And if you've seen PJ play, you know how much impact a great, loud crowd can have on a performance; whether it's changing the setlist on the fly or playing a longer show, a great crowd can make it transcendent.

And yes I was embarrassed, not for myself or the people rocking out during the show, or the people showing their appreciation by cheering thru the encore break, but by those in the PIT who give the rest of us long tenured fans a bad rep.

Seriously, when was the last time a member of Pearl Jam not Mike McCready had to illicit cheers and emotion from the crowd. When they walked back out after the first encore at Philly 1 the band seemed startled by the lack of emotion/noise. The crowd finally came back to life, and PIT seaters began to stand only with Cameron's urging.

I can say that I've never seen that before at a PJ show and it disappointed me about some of the fans within the first 20 rows.

And it would never happen in Boston...
    "I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
  • Options
    LikeLukinLikeLukin Posts: 29
    I think the way PJ's seating is done greatly brings down the energy of the shows. while I agree that floor seating definitely has it's advantages, it doesn't exhibit half the energy that a GA show does. And with all the late 20 to late 30 year old people who take up the majority of the front rows at every show, you are guarenteed for the energy to be a little low.

In my opinion, the shows would be the best if the floow was General admission for the fan club members. This would give the younger fans a chance to get closer to really rock out and bring some fresh young energy to the shows. age has nothing to do with how big a fan you are, so I feel that Pearl Jam's shows could really benefit by giving the younger fans a chance to get close, preferably through making shows general admission.
  • Options
    UGH!... enough about BOSTON!... christ... these boards are flooded with crap that boils down to "boston is better than philadelphia". yeah, philadelphia gets it now, they suck... so just SHUT UP!... sorry people werent drunk enough to go bonkers through the whole thing and most likely would rather have enjoyed the music than be sloshed and not remember it the next day. im 22... ive been a fan club memeber nearly my entire life (134xxx, believe that!)... pearl jam is by far my favorite band... just about the only concerts ill pay for anymore these days... i dont drink and therefore do not act drunk through the whole thing... i LOVE the music, sing along... but im NOT constantly jumping up and down screaming... id really rather hear vedder sing pearl jam songs instead of my own dumb self. theres so much complaining here and constantly bringing up boston in comparison is getting SO ANNOYING....
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    Stryker420 wrote:
    Maybe it was because I was just coming off both Boston show, but the crowd last night seemed very sedate. Aside from the people in the first 2 rows the whole place looked like a bunch of Zombies until the second encore. It was such a downer. I was the only person jumping up and down and singing every song where I was sitting. And people looked like they were bothered by it. Mind you I was only about 20 rows back, everybody should have been rocking out. This was by far the weakest crowd of the 4 shows I've been to on this tour. In fact it was probably the weakest crowd of any PJ show I've been to. And the band really feeds off the crowd energy. It was like everytime they tried to get something going, the crowed just tried to smother them.

plenty of energy in MY seat and around me (203). The lawn, the pit, where were you?
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    UGH!... enough about BOSTON!... christ... these boards are flooded with crap that boils down to "boston is better than philadelphia". yeah, philadelphia gets it now, they suck... so just SHUT UP!... sorry people werent drunk enough to go bonkers through the whole thing and most likely would rather have enjoyed the music than be sloshed and not remember it the next day. im 22... ive been a fan club memeber nearly my entire life (134xxx, believe that!)... pearl jam is by far my favorite band... just about the only concerts ill pay for anymore these days... i dont drink and therefore do not act drunk through the whole thing... i LOVE the music, sing along... but im NOT constantly jumping up and down screaming... id really rather hear vedder sing pearl jam songs instead of my own dumb self. theres so much complaining here and constantly bringing up boston in comparison is getting SO ANNOYING....

exactly
    ive seen shows in both towns and they are both good PJ towns...one doesnt stand out above the other.
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    ontheroad wrote:
    I was at the 2 Boston shows and both philly/camden shows. And I have to say the Pit fans at Tweeter were pretty lame. The sitting during the encore break and not making any noise, to me, was disrespectful. There's a spoiled expectation that the boys will be coming out for multiple encores like its routine. At one point during philly 1 Matt Cameron had to come out and tell the fans to get into it. I was embarrassed.

After seeing them over 40 times including Boston 1 (which had one of the most intense crowds ever) and an epic show at the Spectrum in 2003 with a great crowd so I know not all the fans in the first section are lame asses, but the Pit fans in Philly definitely were this time around.

(second night was a better crowd, but the sitting down was still lame...is the fanbase aging too much to rock out for over two hours anymore?)

so the pit holds 26,000 people?...interesting

look around the place next time
    frickin negativity
  • Options
    Nope, just joining the thread commenting on the crowd in Philly.

I have no idea how the rest of the crowd outside the pit chose to act or show their appreciation for another great experience during the show...In no way did I comment on the entire crowd: The posts described my disappointment in the people around me...in the pit.
  • Options
    compared to Camden I,
    Camden II was a fucking mosh pit.

Stryker has one thing right ... the first two rows were ON FIRE last night.
    They really showed their passion ... something i can't say happened at Camden I ...

and the pit, in general, was showing a lot more enthusiasm ....

i don't know how many "season ticket" holders were at Camden I, but i do know that my tickets (and those of the guy who stayed next to me for both shows) moved up 2 rows and in towards the center for the second night.

I'm glad that Camden finally showed the band the full scope of their passion and let their energy flow back and forth with the band ...

Camden II was beautiful ... maybe no Spectrum '03 (crowd wise, but the set was better) ... but it was a lovely lovely evening. :D

it was like a mosh pit at the top of sec 200 on the inside aisle- people were going nuts- everyone had fist thrown in the air- guess it was were you were at- but to be hopnest it looked like the whole crowd was getting down. If the pit is lame its the 10c rules fault , thats all. -fuck the pit- who gives a shit about pit. Maybe you should buy tix for the back of the joint were the real animals are! Maybe Boston had a lot on Camden1 but Boston had Nothing on Camden2- see you thursday to blow away sunday!!!

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    ontheroad wrote:
    Nope, just joining the thread commenting on the crowd in Philly.

I have no idea how the rest of the crowd outside the pit chose to act or show their appreciation for another great experience during the show...In no way did I comment on the entire crowd: The posts described my disappointment in the people around me...in the pit.

oh aight yah i saw some people getting into down there but i see what u mean
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    im 22... ive been a fan club memeber nearly my entire life (134xxx, believe that!)... pearl jam is by far my favorite band... just about the only concerts ill pay for anymore these days... i dont drink and therefore do not act drunk through the whole thing... i LOVE the music, sing along... but im NOT constantly jumping up and down screaming... id really rather hear vedder sing pearl jam songs instead of my own dumb self.

who are you?! You pretty much descirbed me.. except i dont have a REALLY low 10c # and i drink (but i dont get drunk for the concert)

i sing along every word and jump around when needed but i'm not the type of person who jumps and spins and tries to high five people on every note of every song... not my style.
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    kirilovkirilov Posts: 3
    you were the only person, I know. Just you. No one else. Just you. Of 45,000 people you were the only person "jumping around" - all you. Noone else even moved a little bit to the music - but you, you were going nuts and you were the only one. idiot.
  • Options
    imfaithfulimfaithful Posts: 106
    all i have to say is that i was at both nights in philly,section 202, and i was exhausted after each show because i was going nuts for this band......
    I LOVE THIS BAND

"If some guy's not really giving me a reaction, I'll try and fucking get a reaction out of him. And I feed off of that. I go crazy. In a good way."-Mike McCready

www.myspace.com/lovethejam
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    ontheroad wrote:
    I'll preface this response by saying I had an absolute blast at both the Philly shows...loved the setlists and the performances...just great rock n roll. This is just an observation of the crowd in my area; supposedly the longest and biggest pearl jam fans in the ampitheater:

While encores are routine for a PJ show, they aren't for many acts. And if you've seen PJ play, you know how much impact a great, loud crowd can have on a performance; whether it's changing the setlist on the fly or playing a longer show, a great crowd can make it transcendent.

And yes I was embarrassed, not for myself or the people rocking out during the show, or the people showing their appreciation by cheering thru the encore break, but by those in the PIT who give the rest of us long tenured fans a bad rep.

Seriously, when was the last time a member of Pearl Jam not Mike McCready had to illicit cheers and emotion from the crowd. When they walked back out after the first encore at Philly 1 the band seemed startled by the lack of emotion/noise. The crowd finally came back to life, and PIT seaters began to stand only with Cameron's urging.

I can say that I've never seen that before at a PJ show and it disappointed me about some of the fans within the first 20 rows.

And it would never happen in Boston...

i'll preface my reply by saying i attended with a bronze medal tennis champion who pogo'd their way IN THE PIT through all sets at both shows and had to sit down or pass out during the encores.

and this wouldn't have happened in boston because somehow in boston the air is such that with both high temperature *and* humidity in an **outdoor shed**, a high performance athlete would have been able to sustain it? or is it that in boston, athletes are just that much better than those who attended the philly shows?

give me a fracking break.

what a stupid thread this is. i shouldn't have bothered to open it. what's the matter with you people? my city pisses better in the pit than your city??

We're not from either city!!!!!!!!!!! Come to Baltimore. We piss better, longer and farther than anyone!

: P~~~

; )

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    funkdupfunkdup Posts: 228
    maybe people should drink up.
    would have if they hadn't cut off drinks @ 9:15
    most places serve drinks until the show is almost over
    some serve even after that
    even 10-10:30 would be reasonable but that was just plain fucked up
    i can see not serving even an hour before the show lets out
    or cutting off people who are obviously fucks
    but adults should be able to police themselves up & until that point
    then they tried to say it was the bands choice
    just like they said pearl jam didn't want blankets inside,
    yeah ok, sure they didn't.
    i'm sure eddie would have kept making toasts
    when he knows we'd been drinkin' water since 9:15
    p.s. this did not in anyway diminish the energy
  • Options
    When i went to camden in 03, it was by far the 2 loudest shows of my 8 show trek audience wise. I guess it could be all where you are sitting too, Cleveland this year I thought crowd participation was awful, then it sounds great on the boot.
    Kerry/Edwards 04!
    I really need to update this sig.
  • Options
    London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    T-Bone 82 wrote:
    Camden 2 was unbelievable. I thought the crowd was excellent. In fact, I thought it was a better crowd than night 1

absolutely