How to do that super loud whistle

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
edited September 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
I have been unable to do a loud whistle all my life, and not for lack of trying. But i finally just learned how by following these instructions! I almost can't believe it, lol. Not sure how handy it will be now, since I've spent my whole life getting used to not employing this skill... but you never know. Maybe if PJ plays Soon Forget at another show I'm at it will be very handy. I wasn't able to participate in the whistling part at the last show, lol.

Got this from Facebook and saw that many comments said these instructions didn't work for them, but I am thinking maybe they were largely the people who don't follow instructions very well or gave up too fast? Because it worked for me almost immediately. :)

http://m.9gag.com/gag/a49Ygzy?sc_ref=direct
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Comments

• Man, I always wante to know how to do that too! I tried with the instructions, but it didn't work. :-<
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889

Man, I always wante to know how to do that too! I tried with the instructions, but it didn't work. :-<

Takes some practice. I am only managing some of the time. Work in progress. :P I think you need to experiment a bit with the positioning of everything if it doesn't work right away.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • way to much work to whistle i just curl my tongue up against my bottom teeth and whistle away loud too !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

way to much work to whistle i just curl my tongue up against my bottom teeth and whistle away loud too !

I would if I could!
  • PJ_Soul said:

way to much work to whistle i just curl my tongue up against my bottom teeth and whistle away loud too !

I would if I could!
    At least you can do the two finger whistle :-c
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810

Can we get a demonstration?

Lol I tried the above FB thing and just ended up spitting everywhere!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    Hmm. I think if it's not working you're trying too hard? :))
  • I tried more and now I have a knot in my tongue :P
    :))
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    This thread is turning me on....I gotta get outta here,,,,,
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    =))

I've found that you need to leave a hole between your fingers and your lower lip, which the instructions don't explain. Like a small triangle space where the whistle comes out, lol. I've been practicing all day trying to get consistent, and still only get it half the time (I'm still sick... i have a LOT of time on my hands lately, ha!). My neighbors must be ready to kill me.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,484
    very informative thread.

thank you.
    www.myspace.com
    edited September 2014
    :)

I seem to have gotten better, but still need some practice. The part about the lower lip and where the whistle comes out is key. You can even move that part of your lower lip to get more creative with the whistle. :))
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    You can also just use your thumb and index finger...
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

:)

I seem to have gotten better, but still need some practice. The part about the lower lip and where the whistle comes out is key. You can even move that part of your lower lip to get more creative with the whistle. :))

This is all hilarious but especially this post and JW's last one.
    i need to practice
    www.myspace.com
    JWPearl said:

You can also just use your thumb and index finger...

I can't mange that at all. I need internet instructions! :))
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    "mange" :D
    Makes me wonder when I was texting about mange with someone, lol. :P
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,773
    i can only whistle if i "suck" the air in
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

i can only whistle if i "suck" the air in

8-} That's weird!

:))
    i can't do it. it hurts my fingers
    www.myspace.com
    Hmm. That shouldn't be.
    Why don't all of you come out to Vancouver and I will host a seminar?
  • I'd gladly take it. I tried more today, but I just don't get it right. I have problems with the "pushing the tongue back" part for some reason. There is still air coming out of all kinds of crevices and then my lips start to hurt because I pressed them on too hard L-)
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    how is the practice coming along? lol
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee said:

how is the practice coming along? lol

80% success rate now, including whistle variances. I should have it mastered by tomorrow night. :D=))

I'd gladly take it. I tried more today, but I just don't get it right. I have problems with the "pushing the tongue back" part for some reason. There is still air coming out of all kinds of crevices and then my lips start to hurt because I pressed them on too hard L-)

Lol. Well if i see you somewhere I will be sure to give you a tutorial. :-B :))
    variances?
    LOL
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee said:

variances?
    LOL

Like different pitches, the hailing a cab whistle vs the wolf whistle, etc. B-)
    edited September 2014
    wow, you have come a long away, doing variances and shit :D
    (edited for grammar)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto