Options

Smoking

13»

Comments

• Options
    rr165892 said:

Way to go.now breathe deep.Isnt that nice?

I dont miss them one bit.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I am still rolling strong. Just over 7 months. I just need my vapor nicotine sometimes if I'm with friends having a few beers or at tailgates, camping, road trips and such.

I'm 100% done with cigs though. No interest in them at all. My brother in law is having a bunch of reconstruction surgery and taking out a bunch of his face to hopefully get "all" the cancer and give him a 50/50 shot.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Awesome SPEEDY!! Incidentally, Feb.20, was one year free from that disgusting habit! Now I just gotta quit smoking weed again. Lol ahh but it was fun for whole it lasted..
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    MayDay10 said:

I am still rolling strong. Just over 7 months. I just need my vapor nicotine sometimes if I'm with friends having a few beers or at tailgates, camping, road trips and such.

I'm 100% done with cigs though. No interest in them at all. My brother in law is having a bunch of reconstruction surgery and taking out a bunch of his face to hopefully get "all" the cancer and give him a 50/50 shot.

Man, I am sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. My f-i-l died 5 years ago. He smoked cigars for years and drank vodka routinely. The docs said the combo set up " a field of cancerization". Rotten shit. I hope things turn out well for your family.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    And good job to all of the quitters. It is extremely hard work, but so worth it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Prayers to you and your family @MayDay10. And I'm so glad to hear everyone's success stories!! It is really awesome how much better I feel! And it's so not worth the risks!
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    everytime I do a little shneef and jim beam, I love a good pack of camel crush. other than that, I don't smoke.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Prayers to you and your family @MayDay10. And I'm so glad to hear everyone's success stories!! It is really awesome how much better I feel! And it's so not worth the risks!

Ditto this.Best wishes and Good thoughts your way.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    thanks, guys.

My point wasn't trying to dredge up sympathy as much just to point out how it really woke me up. I do not want to get some sort of news in a doctor's office and realize that I was totally complicit. Don't know if I could take it.

He was diagnosed a month or 2 after I decided to quit. Just seeing what he has gone through. Chemo/Rad, lost all of his weight. Cant eat. Constantly in pain. Found out cancer is back... And now terrified he has to have pieces of his leg grafted to create jawbone and tongue, on a limited budget. Ugh. It has completely shut me off of any possibility of relapse... and if nothing else, his pain has and will lead me to take a different path.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

thanks, guys.

My point wasn't trying to dredge up sympathy as much just to point out how it really woke me up. I do not want to get some sort of news in a doctor's office and realize that I was totally complicit. Don't know if I could take it.

He was diagnosed a month or 2 after I decided to quit. Just seeing what he has gone through. Chemo/Rad, lost all of his weight. Cant eat. Constantly in pain. Found out cancer is back... And now terrified he has to have pieces of his leg grafted to create jawbone and tongue, on a limited budget. Ugh. It has completely shut me off of any possibility of relapse... and if nothing else, his pain has and will lead me to take a different path.

Despite the circumstances it took to give you your wake up call, we're all very happy that we'll have you around to put your two cents in around here.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    I wish I could get my mom to quit. She's smoked all of her adult life and is currently 63. My dad died at age 56 of cardiovascular disease. She's been alone since. She has health issues. I don't know what will wake her up.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I smoked bout 10 years. I quit 11/2012. I pretty much think about cigarettes everyday. No slip ups because I quit to have my first baby and now I'm prego with #2. I loved smoking. I always hated the smell but I don't wake up vigorously coughing anymore and I obviously breathe so much better and I don't get sick all the time anymore and overall I'm happier. Lol sorry that was kind of running along together but I'm too lazy to go back and clean it up :lol:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

I wish I could get my mom to quit. She's smoked all of her adult life and is currently 63. My dad died at age 56 of cardiovascular disease. She's been alone since. She has health issues. I don't know what will wake her up.

I wish you could too Jen. I also have a friend who has had multiple cancer scares/surgeries (breast/skin) and she still smokes a lot. She even tried the e-cig. There is no stopping her. My f-i-l finally stopped when he realized how serious the cancer was. He went through chemo and radiation. The tumor was still too big to attempt any surgical removal. It's a damn shame, but there was no convincing him before it was too late. Good for you FoxyRedLa, and good for your babies too! :smile:
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    FoxyRedLa said:

I smoked bout 10 years. I quit 11/2012. I pretty much think about cigarettes everyday. No slip ups because I quit to have my first baby and now I'm prego with #2. I loved smoking. I always hated the smell but I don't wake up vigorously coughing anymore and I obviously breathe so much better and I don't get sick all the time anymore and overall I'm happier. Lol sorry that was kind of running along together but I'm too lazy to go back and clean it up :lol:

Congrats on the new addition you got coming.
  • Options
    Thank you ocean and rr! Very blessed I am :)
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,784
    FoxyRedLa said:

Your not alone, the first time I quit I missed it for the entire 11 years and now it's been since November 2014 and I still miss it. I don't want to smoke but there is nothing better than a smoke and a beer on the back deck in the summer *sigh*. Congrats on quitting and staying off of them and congrats on your second wee bundle.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    I'm happy to read all your success stories...I've never smoked...I'm highly allergic to cigarette smoke, gives me terrible migraines...so I avoid it like the plague...

I had a dear friend though who smoked for years and then quit, and hadn't touched a cigarette in 30 years...and she passed away from lung cancer that spread into her stomach a year and a half ago...

I share this, not to be a downer...but just to remind you all...to take care of yourselves! And get checked out regularly, because damage is done...if you catch it in time, you can beat it...she didn't catch her's in time...and the world is less an amazing person...and I would hate for anything to happen to any of you!!!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    Thank you so much northern!