Options

Smoking

So I haven't had a cigarette for 2 weeks, and I can finally say I am done with that disgusting, vulgar, nasty, STOOOOPID! fucking habit.
But I tell you, nicotine withdrawal is nothing but a great big pain in the ass!
I have had a constant fucking headache for about 4 days now. Im really hoping it goes away soon.
Other than the headache I haven't really had any other problems. Have not craved a cigarette, have not had any anxiety, blah blah blah.
Quitting is obviously something I should have done a long long time ago. Better late than never?
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Good luck.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Good stuff Speedy. And good luck keeping at it. I have two friends who have recently quit after smoking for many years. They are both feeling better and claim they can taste their food now!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options

Good stuff Speedy. And good luck keeping at it. I have two friends who have recently quit after smoking for many years. They are both feeling better and claim they can taste their food now!

Thanks.
    I have friends of mine who are doing the electronic cigarette thingamajiggy. Personally I think its ridiculous. The shit has nicotine! I realize it doesn't have the carcinogens that a normal cigarette has, but still, isn't that just something else they are going to have to quit further down the road? Ya know what I mean? Why not just QUIT cold turkey, and be DONE with it? But to each their own.

And I truly don't miss the cigarettes, I don't crave them, its not on my mind 24 hours a day...Not smoking is NOT making me crazy. Ive just had enough of feeling like shit. Its been 2 weeks and I am feeling a little better physically(other than the pounding fucking headache). And mentally I feel GREAT! I FINALLY quit the most ridiculous habit known to mankind.
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Good luck.

Thanks
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    to me, its nice to have the vape/e cig around. I dont use it nearly as much as cigs. However, mentally its nice that it's there.

There are still certain situations I absolutely crave a smoke. Drinking, hanging with certain friends who sidebar outside for a few minutes (which I like to do), tailgating, road trips. Those situations the vape cig comes in handy
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

to me, its nice to have the vape/e cig around. I dont use it nearly as much as cigs. However, mentally its nice that it's there.

There are still certain situations I absolutely crave a smoke. Drinking, hanging with certain friends who sidebar outside for a few minutes (which I like to do), tailgating, road trips. Those situations the vape cig comes in handy

So how long ago did you quit smoking cigarettes? How long since the last smoke? Just curious.

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    one of the hardest things i ever had to do. Worst part was being around friends having a few drinks, the majority of which smoked, that's when i craved it the most. smoked for about 10yrs and towards the end started coughing like crazy- black stuff and shit...just didnt enjoy it anymore. At that time i just knew it was time to stop. First attempt i used the patch and the final time i just quit cold turkey.

Congrats Speedy keep up the fight...
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,488
    good luck on quitting Speedy. The wife and I have been seriously thinking about quiting for the last couple of weeks as well. Its just getting around to committing to do it. We have thought about the vapour cig as well to help. Will keep an eye on this thread and see how you making out.
    I've quit before for about 4 1/2 yrs then started again, worse thing I ever did
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I "quit" years ago via acupuncture. Amazing experience, almost surreal...but still a smoker.

Gives credence to "when there's a will, there's a way".

Hope the headpounding eases up soon, and wish you luck and strength.

Curious - has the quitting affected your skin? It fucked with mine at the time, with the toxins being released.
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:

good luck on quitting Speedy. The wife and I have been seriously thinking about quiting for the last couple of weeks as well. Its just getting around to committing to do it. We have thought about the vapour cig as well to help. Will keep an eye on this thread and see how you making out.

I quit for 5 years
    And started again
    Ughjjjjj
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Congrats ...keep at it, I quit 14 years ago ... never looked back and I'd say within 3 days I never desired to smoke again.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Smoking is really nasty I agree and think of all the money you will save. Buy something to congrat yourself :)
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Wish you all the best, Speedy - stay strong
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

So I haven't had a cigarette for 2 weeks, and I can finally say I am done with that disgusting, vulgar, nasty, STOOOOPID! fucking habit.
    I have had a constant fucking headache for about 4 days now. Im really hoping it goes away soon.
    Other than the headache I haven't really had any other problems. Have not craved a cigarette, have not had any anxiety, blah blah blah.
    Quitting is obviously something I should have done a long long time ago. Better late than never?

I really commend you, well done! Now just make sure you drink plenty of water to flush your system out ;)
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:

Ive read where if you quit smoking, after just 72 hours, your body is no longer physically addicted to nicotine. After 72 hours it turns in to a mental thing. Which is why I went cold turkey. In my eyes why keep inhaling the nicotine? 72 hours? I can do 72 hours and deal with the insanity. ..haha

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    =D> =D> =D>
    Good for you speedy ...good luck
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

Smoking is really nasty I agree and think of all the money you will save. Buy something to congrat yourself :)

over $10 a pack in the city of Chicago.

$3500 or so a year?
    With nothing to show for it but chronic health issues.

• Options

=D> =D> =D>

And YES Jose.
    Your health scare was a BIG REASON why I quit smoking.

What happened to you scared the fuck out of me.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited August 2014
    JWPearl said:

I really commend you, well done! Now just make sure you drink plenty of water to flush your system out ;)
    Yes, might help with the headaches too.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315

=D> =D> =D>

And YES Jose.
    Your health scare was a BIG REASON why I quit smoking.

What happened to you scared the fuck out of me.
    I'm glad i can take a little tiny bit of credit for this challenge in front of you wishing you total success ...I know you will kick this habit to the curve !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    Good for you!! Best gift you can give yourself.
    I quit 3 years ago after smoking for 30+ years. Used the patch. Once in awhile I'll get a 5 second craving out of the blue, but then it's gone.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Congratulations! I've never been a smoker, but I have seen people struggle to break the habit. Best of luck, and good wishes for continued strength.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Good luck Speedy!
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    edited August 2014

Ive read where if you quit smoking, after just 72 hours, your body is no longer physically addicted to nicotine. After 72 hours it turns in to a mental thing. Which is why I went cold turkey. In my eyes why keep inhaling the nicotine? 72 hours? I can do 72 hours and deal with the insanity. ..haha

After 15 years of smoking I quit about 2 1/2 years ago. Like you, I went cold turkey. That lasted about a week, and I started using Nicorette gum. I loved that gum and it worked great for me. I used it a little longer than recommend because I had trips to London and Vegas planned and wanted the crutch for them. After 4 months of Nicorette I switched to regular gum, and eventually was fine with nothing. It does take some time, but Ive never felt better.

Dont let your brain fool you into believing you can just have just one or your fucked. Stay strong, youll appreciate it later.
    Post edited by RS151862 on
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    =D> You can be very proud SPEEDY MCCREADY ! So you got 2 weeks !

As I quit smoking in summer 2007 (after a little cold) I told myself everyday that I got one more day and it would be stupid to take a cigarette. "Don´t be silly you can make it one more day!" After 3 weeks I took one breath/ pull (sorry, don´t know the right word) and it hurts so much in my lungs that I immediately knew I would never try it again!

So I hope everytime you think about smoking only one cigarette again, you will tell yourself that it would just be too stupid to do that! You don´t need other help - only your pride!
    (sorry for my poor english)

Oh, and congratulations for this 2 weeks!
    The headache will just go away soon and hey, be careful - all this good things taste sooo much better now... ;)
    Now you deserve some more PJ goodies !!! \:D/
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

So how long ago did you quit smoking cigarettes? How long since the last smoke? Just curious.

Only about a month. But I can tell this is it. I have an 17 month old son and I owe it to him. Wife doesn't know I smoked for a bit I'm always sneaking off like a sleaze and binging with friends and Axe spraying in my car. Sick of the smell. The feeling. Etc...

I do want one. But it's very easy not to in social situations with my vape. Don't want that to be a habit though.

I tell myself I'm not a smoker and it feels good. I also tell myself not to waiver and I have to treat it like heroin. No turning back
  • Options
    Oh and I also had a cancer diagnosis dream last week so that really straightened me out!
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,461
    Better you quit smoking BEFORE it quits you.

GOOD LUCK SPEEDY!!
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Fuck cigarettes! And congrats buddy on kicking that shit, hopefully forever
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,488

BLACK35 said:

I did the cold turkey thing as well, I truly belive that is the only way to go...mind over matter. After a couple of weeks I found it easy and like most of you have already stated, its the social situations and after eating that I found the hardes
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2