Options

I thought "Into the Wild" sucked

Comments

• Options
    I don't understand how you didn't like the movie, for some reason I just find that impossible. Maybe you just aren't mature enough, I don't know that's really my only guess.
  • Options
    The arrogance in this thread is mind boggling. Just because someone has an opinion that's different from yours doesn't make them wrong, idiotic, or immature. Try opening yourself up to the possibility that *gasp* not everyone views art the same way. And you know what? That's perfectly okay.
  • Options
    From Penn's acting I just assumed the picture sucked without ever suffering through it. Did I do good saving my 7.50?
    Poetry and powertools
  • Options
    From Penn's acting I just assumed the picture sucked without ever suffering through it. Did I do good saving my 7.50?
    in my personal op9inion... no... not at all... emile hirsche is a fine upincoming actor and the movie brought me to tears... which i guess isnt athat hard cause im a big softy... but still... its a good movie... lil long... ill agree with that... but conisidreing you cant take too much away from the book without taking away from the story the movie had to be a lil long to fit everything... im glad they took out his pet dog from the book that he had to cut open to stay warm or whatever... i dunno its been awhile since i read it
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    in my personal op9inion... no... not at all... emile hirsche is a fine upincoming actor and the movie brought me to tears... which i guess isnt athat hard cause im a big softy... but still... its a good movie... lil long... ill agree with that... but conisidreing you cant take too much away from the book without taking away from the story the movie had to be a lil long to fit everything... im glad they took out his pet dog from the book that he had to cut open to stay warm or whatever... i dunno its been awhile since i read it
    No offense meant. It just seems that every time I see Penn in an interview he cannot piece together a coherent sentence so I am wondering how he can piece together a coherent motion picture.
    Poetry and powertools
  • Options
    No offense meant. It just seems that every time I see Penn in an interview he cannot piece together a coherent sentence so I am wondering how he can piece together a coherent motion picture.
    try to sit through an interview with tim burton... the mans a film legend IMO but a compltet fuckin incoherant lunatic... sometiems you just cant vocalize what a film means to you... and honestly penn had more in common with the character in I am Sam than an actor shoudl.....

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    try to sit through an interview with tim burton... the mans a film legend IMO but a compltet fuckin incoherant lunatic... sometiems you just cant vocalize what a film means to you... and honestly penn had more in common with the character in I am Sam than an actor shoudl.....
    AND try to sit through that other Tim's band opening for PJ!!!
    Poetry and powertools
  • Options
    AND try to sit through that other Tim's band opening for PJ!!!
    try being an extra on the set of a tim robbins movie and he entertains us all with a half hour set of his awful wannabe bob dylanesque music... fuckin christmas carols in july for god sake just cause we were filming in a church... and the only ray of light that kept me going was being a few yards from rachel mcadams and then talking to her for a bit after filming and gettting a photo with her... i got tims autograph too... he didnt seem too enthused that i A) interrupted his smoking braek and B) only cared about shawshank redemption

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,748
    loved it, nothing to do with the tunes either.....thought it was really well put together and in the same vein as dances with wolves....

Thats one of the biggest compliments any film could wish for
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    try being an extra on the set of a tim robbins movie and he entertains us all with a half hour set of his awful wannabe bob dylanesque music... fuckin christmas carols in july for god sake just cause we were filming in a church... and the only ray of light that kept me going was being a few yards from rachel mcadams and then talking to her for a bit after filming and gettting a photo with her... i got tims autograph too... he didnt seem too enthused that i A) interrupted his smoking braek and B) only cared about shawshank redemption
    Has he done anything aside from shawshank and bull durham?
    Poetry and powertools
  • Options
    Has he done anything aside from shawshank and bull durham?
    well thats enough to pay the bills... so why should he?... go see "the return" tho when it comes out and look for the handsome young man in the green shirt and tie somewhere int he church scene... based on what i saw it looks like a terrible movie tho... its got that michael pena from crash tho and hes pretty cool espeically in real life

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    well thats enough to pay the bills... so why should he?... go see "the return" tho when it comes out and look for the handsome young man in the green shirt and tie somewhere int he church scene... based on what i saw it looks like a terrible movie tho... its got that michael pena from crash tho and hes pretty cool espeically in real life
    Crash was terrible. (Sorry - i know that wasn't your point).
    Poetry and powertools
  • Options
    Crash was terrible. (Sorry - i know that wasn't your point).
    no... but it is my point now... thats one of my favorite movies... WTF... theres only 3 people posting right now and one of us is a crash hater?!? jeeeeez

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    no... but it is my point now... thats one of my favorite movies... WTF... theres only 3 people posting right now and one of us is a crash hater?!? jeeeeez
    Sorry - contrived at best is what i thought.
    Poetry and powertools
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    vedderelf wrote:
    The only things it had going for it was the basic plot itself, the beautiful vistas, the fact that the lead actor looked a little like River Phoenix and of course the soundtrack.quote]

In my book, that River Phoenix comment nullified your whole argument. :)

I think the best way to describe how Chris' attitude was towards the people he met along the way is that he never would have accomplished his mission if he allowed himself to grow attached. I like the way that was portrayed.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    So sorry for using the "really, really, really." I didn't know we had the English police here. I was trying to convey the fact that I really, really, really wanted to like this movie. I spend a lot of time outdoors and spent a year away from friends and family in the middle of the desert trying to find myself, so to speak, so I had high hopes for this movie.

Like I said, I haven't read the book so I can't speak as to how much of it followed that narrative. I have been told that the book jumps around a lot more than the movie so maybe that's where that came from. I just didn't think Penn did that great of a job capturing the essence of the story. Maybe someone who has read the book can answer this, but the part where he's canoeing and comes upon the European couple, was it really necessary for her to be topless? Or the part where it flashes to the hippy couple having sex? Was that really necessary? It seemed a little gratuitous to me.

Also, if you haven't seen the movie, why on earth would you open a thread that said it sucked? Of course it's going to give away plot elements.

From articles I have read in the days since I saw this movie, there is a floating theory that McCandless was schizophrenic (sp?) or was exhibiting syptoms. That's not to say that what he did was crazy only by society's standards but it's an interesting theory. While I think what he did was admirable, I can tell you that my friends and I are better prepared for camping trips than he was going into the wild. I guess that was by his choice, tho.

My absolute biggest problem, however, and I heard someone else say it, is the way he treated his family, especially his sister. If he was so mature, you think he would have realized that people are human and make mistakes. I hate when people blame their lot in life on their parents. Throughout the movie, I kept having to remind myself that this was a 22-year-old and not a 16-year-old.

Just my opinions. Sorry if you disagree and you feel the need to anonymously attack me on a message board. Still think Emile looks like River Phoenix. Not really sure how that's a bad thing.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    sgossard3 wrote:
    im glad they took out his pet dog from the book that he had to cut open to stay warm or whatever... i dunno its been awhile since i read it

He did what????? The movie wasn't shown at the big theater here, but it will be shown in a couple of weeks at a small downtown theater. I was going to see it, but have had my doubts about whether I would like it because to me McCandless does not sound like an appealing character. Of course, this is all based on the reviews and this forum board. I have not read the book either. BUT, if it is true that he killed his dog to keep warm then I for sure won't like him and if I don't like him I'm not sure I would enjoy a movie about him. However, if I can get past that and enjoy the scenery and the music, maybe I won't mind spending the time/money on it.

So tell me about the dog..
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Yeah, the movie does kinda suck, but the soundtrack is good enough....What was the movie about again? Some lonely, confused, virgin misfit who ventured out into the wilderness to escape the reality he was too scared to face? Ultimately dies from eating the horizontally striped as opposed to vertically striped plant?
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    He did what????? The movie wasn't shown at the big theater here, but it will be shown in a couple of weeks at a small downtown theater. I was going to see it, but have had my doubts about whether I would like it because to me McCandless does not sound like an appealing character. Of course, this is all based on the reviews and this forum board. I have not read the book either. BUT, if it is true that he killed his dog to keep warm then I for sure won't like him and if I don't like him I'm not sure I would enjoy a movie about him. However, if I can get past that and enjoy the scenery and the music, maybe I won't mind spending the time/money on it.

don't base your thoughts of chris from these threads.....many on here completely miss the point. go see it....just to hear eddies voice is worth the price of admission. I enjoyed the movie and didn't read the book. it is kinda long....but thats okay...where the fk does evryone need to go anyway.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    The Champ wrote:
    Yeah, the movie does kinda suck, but the soundtrack is good enough....What was the movie about again? Some lonely, confused, virgin misfit who ventured out into the wilderness to escape the reality he was too scared to face? Ultimately dies from eating the horizontally striped as opposed to vertically striped plant?
    nah he was just tired of dealing with idiot humans.....
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    vedderelf wrote:
    My absolute biggest problem, however, and I heard someone else say it, is the way he treated his family, especially his sister. If he was so mature, you think he would have realized that people are human and make mistakes. I hate when people blame their lot in life on their parents. Throughout the movie, I kept having to remind myself that this was a 22-year-old and not a 16-year-old.
    that's how i felt after reading the book. i had heard so many good things about the book and went into it with high expectations. i was let down after reading it, mainly because i found chris to be so selfish and unlikeable. i guess when i said it would have helped to read the book first is because for me, i liked the movie version of chris better. i went in expecting to dislike him and was pleasantly surprised that i felt more sympathy for the movie portrayal of chris.
  • Options
    the movie did a good job of making a unlikable guy likable.

At first i didnt think i'd like it much, but by the end of the movie i was in love with it. i want to see it again.
  • Options
    ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    (I thought into the wild sucked)..

You thought wrong, fucker!

Kiddin'... or am I?
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • Options
    No WayNo Way Posts: 39
    DarkStar wrote:
    there's plenty of folks with like reactions over at the ItW board on http://www.imdb.com. There's a lot you missed...but if the movie didn't suit you, then that's how it goes. here's my take on what Chris learned:

))SPOILERS((

"Happiness only real when shared."

In reality, Chris wrote this in the margin (above the text below) in his copy of Doctor Zhivago:

"And so it turned out that only a life similar to the life of those around us, merging with it without a ripple, is genuine life, and that an unshared happiness is not happiness. ...And this was most vexing of all."

"What if I were smiling, and running into your arms. Would you see then, what I see now?"

Chris asked this question because he knew that through his journey he had been healed and had forgiven his parents...but he didn't know if his parents were healed and if they recognised that their actions had a profound and unhealthy impact on Chris. You have to remember (and this is only in the book) that part of the reason Chris left and went on his journey was to spite his parents...in a way, forcing them to realise what effect their actions had on him.

at any rate, there is also an important visual element to the ending scene where Chris embraces his parents. remember when Chris challenged Ron to climb the mountain/hill? once Ron got to the top they had a conversation and Ron said:

"When you forgive, you love…and when you love, God’s light shines on you." … and then a cloud moved and the sun shone down on them both.

well, when Chris asks "What if I were smiling, and running into your arms. Would you see then, what I see now?" the scene cuts back and forth from the sky to him embracing his parents...while showing the sky, the sun is covered by a cloud...while showing the embrace, there are shadows on their faces. during this scene, and while he's saying the lines "What if I were smiling, and running into your arms." Chris's face shows wonderment and confusion...and then as he says "Would you see then, what I see now?" Chris's face turns accepting and calm...the scene then cuts to Chris in the bus taking his last breath...and as he does so, the cloud moves and the sun shines down....

also, as the camera pulls out of the closeup of Chris after he took his last breath, the song Hard Sun is played...it's the instrumental version...but i've posted the lyrics below. one might say that the "she/her" in the song is love/happiness.

ds

Thanks for posting this - it was really enlightening. To me, posts like this prove that there is much more to this movie than some people give it credit for - the closer I look, the more I realize how well done it was. This makes me want to see it again . . .
    I just need someone to be there for . . . me
    I just want someone to be there for . . .
  • Options
    the dog character was written out of the movie... but in the book he was like wilson the volleyball was to tom hanks... and like people have already said emile hirsch does a good job making a pretty selfish guy seem cool... i think youd probably like the movie... even if just for the beautiful scenery and music... i think seeing it on the big screen is key to in order to get an idea of the expanse of his surroundings... and to get ed in that wonderful surround sound :D

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,502
    On Thursday's Live w/ Regis and Kelly. Regis said he was the movie and liked it. He was raving about it.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    for me.....that film was soooooooooo great,

I'm so sorry you weren't able to appreciate the the things I was.

Christopher McCandless...........via...........so many nameless and faceless others......represents everything......and nothing....to soooo many of us......

That film....and his life... just made me think......It was like I related soooo much at one point....and then at another......

My understanding may seem blind.

But it is what it is.........

I have a boy........and I truly hope he'll never leave me to find truth. But if that's what he needs to do to to find himself....I will ALWAYS love him UNCONDITIONALLY

*edit* ps... i read the book. selfish or just damn human. come on guys. Love.......................................................
  • Options
    smokeabudsmokeabud Posts: 253
    no comment
    Vote for PJ to play in Alaska

11/91 chicago
    7/11/95 chicago
    6/29/98 chicago
    5/30/00 london UK
    6/4/00 manchester UK
    10/8/00 alpine valley
    10/9/00 chicago
    6/18/03 chicago

PLAY ALASKA U PUSSIES
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    vedderelf wrote:
    I was really, really excited for this movie but I was extremely disappointed. I'm curious as to what others thought about the actual movie, soundtrack excluded.

I don't think this is Sean Penn's directorial debut but it looks like something someone out of film school would do. The opening letter to Wayne at the beginning was cheesey, and by the time Wayne comes along, you've already forgotten about that opening part.

The movie was waaaaay too long (started at 7:45 and got out at 10:20) and the sister's narration not withstanding, it didn't give any insight at all into Chris' state of mind. What exactly was it that he was getting out of the experience? And at the end, when it flashes to the people he met along the way, what sort of connection did Chris feel to them? Because the way it came off to me, it was more like Chris was like self-centered narcisist who didn't really care about the people he was leaving behind.

I should have read the book first because the movie soured me on the whole story. It could have been this epic adventure and instead, it got muddled in what I thought was a horrible job by Penn. I mean, there's 3 different parts where Chris looks right into the camera! It was distracting and unnecessary.

I just really, really, really wanted to like this movie and I was pretty disappointed. The only things it had going for it was the basic plot itself, the beautiful vistas, the fact that the lead actor looked a little like River Phoenix and of course the soundtrack.

Just wondering what others thought, especially those who spend a lot of time in the outdoors and lead a version of this lifestyle portrayed. Also, those parents were pretty brave to cooperate with a movie that made them look like some pretty horrible people.

The letter at the beginning was the actual letter Chris sent to Wayne right before he went to the bus, when he got to Fairbanks. (when i read the book, that letter haunted me throughout until I finished the book and afterwards)..

I think its all a matter of opinions as far as Chris' portrayal, many have read the book and have the same opinion about Chris, of him being a narcisist self-centered bastard that didn't give a shit about who he was leaving behind and how he was affecting them.

After reading the book and getting a feel for what people felt for him (the people he met along the way) I can only think that he was a very special person because this people actually grew to care deeply for him.
    I think Chris was very clear as to what his intentions were when he met new people, he wasn't there to make friends and become part of the community, he always had this fixation with going to Alaska and any of those people who were saddened by his departure every time he picked up his stuff and left shouldn't have as they knew Chris was never there to stay.

As far as the parents, I'm no one to judge the feelings he had towards them, I always wondered after I read the book why he never sent a postcard or somin' to his sister just to let her know he was ok, but he must've had his reasons.

I like the book a lot better than the movie only because the book can go into so much detail, I think that if the movie had been any shorter it would've done a disservice to the story, I thought Penn did a fine job and Emile had an outstanding performance. Needless to say I'm impatiently awaiting for the DVD to come out :)

PS: And on a personal opinion regarding Chris' adventure, I think that by the time he was dying he had accomplished what he was going for, I think he was searching for himself, for meaning and he realized what happiness was right before he died and by looking at pics of the real Chris days before his death I think he found peace, of course that's my personal take on it.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    why don't you just tell everybody the whole movie scene by scene so the people who haven't seen it yet don't have to, does that explain 'SPOILER "....

I think that for anyone who hasn't seen the movie, a title like "Into the Wild sucked" would pretty much warn you that there is discussion about the movie in it, so its their choice to open this thread after reading that title.. besides I dont think he gave away anything IMO.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV