Options

2023 CHICAGO BEARS

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I was pretty shocked at how quickly they hired a GM. Though I am excited they went with someone non-Bears.
    Next up...coach.
    I hope Pace has all the say in this. I really hope the Pres and the McCaskey's have no say in that decision!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,748
    mca47 wrote: »
    I was pretty shocked at how quickly they hired a GM. Though I am excited they went with someone non-Bears.
    Next up...coach.
    I hope Pace has all the say in this. I really hope the Pres and the McCaskey's have no say in that decision!

According to the press conference, Pace has full control over the 53 man roster as well as the final decision on the head coach.

I still don't like that Pace reports directly to Ted Phillips. The Bears will NEVER get rid of that guy.
  • Options
    Next up...coach.

According to the press conference, Pace has full control over the 53 man roster as well as the final decision on the head coach.

I still don't like that Pace reports directly to Ted Phillips. The Bears will NEVER get rid of that guy.
    Yeah, I don't see how Phillips still has a job. What exactly has that guy done? The Bears are what...the 2nd or 3rd biggest market in football, they make a fricken fortune, neither of which was his doing. They put bad teams on the field and hire terrible GMs and coaches. Hmmmm....

It's almost like the Bears are subscribing to the Cubs model. Ugh!
  • Options
    Next up...coach.

Yeah, I don't see how Phillips still has a job. What exactly has that guy done? The Bears are what...the 2nd or 3rd biggest market in football, they make a fricken fortune, neither of which was his doing. They put bad teams on the field and hire terrible GMs and coaches. Hmmmm....

It's almost like the Bears are subscribing to the Cubs model. Ugh!

I've always read that Phillips was a big part of the deal that they worked out for the new Solider Field so the Bears will pretty much never fire him. The McCaskey's love him. Let him run the business side. He shouldn't have anything to do with football-related decisions.
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    Jason P wrote: »
    Remember the good times? 30 years ago? Where you alive?

2048x1300

I sure Do……One of DA Best teams ever in Professional Sports history… Great pic, thanks 4 sharing
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    davidtrios wrote: »
    i was barely alive but who cares, that was 30 years ago. it's time to move on from 1985. #forgodsake #greatscott

Well thats all i got and I will never forget DA Best team Ever in NFL History. Without a doubt the most fun and entertaining team sports has ever seen…Back in the simpler times days…I sure miss those days.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote: »
    Remember the good times? 30 years ago? Where you alive?

2048x1300

Crazy to see how skinny players were back then...compared to now.
    Also, it's funny how the Fridge was this "huge" 300 lb dude. He'd be tiny in today's game!
  • Options
    Kubiak is out. Sounds like the Bears were going to go after him hard, but he is staying in Baltimore as the OC.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Kubiak is out. Sounds like the Bears were going to go after him hard, but he is staying in Baltimore as the OC.

I wonder why he's not interested? Could it be because of #6?
  • Options

I wonder why he's not interested? Could it be because of #6?

I doubt that's the reason. There were a few teams that wanted to talk to him about the head coaching spot and he's not interested in any of them.
  • Options
    Sounds like they'll be interviewing John Fox soon. Guy has a good track record. And it would probably make sense to pair a young, first time GM in Pace with a veteran coach like Fox.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Im not a big Fox fan, but I will say, his job of salvaging that season around TIm Tebow's deficiencies was masterful
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote: »
    Im not a big Fox fan, but I will say, his job of salvaging that season around TIm Tebow's deficiencies was masterful

Yeah, he doesn't feel like a slam dunk hire. But it's hard to argue with his success as a head coach when you look at his record. Sure, he has lost 2 super bowls. But if that's his biggest problem...I'll take it!
  • Options
    If John Fox signs here, Cutler will give him another heart attack. He will LITERALLY be a coach killer
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Arent the Shanahans still a major possibility with the whole Cutler resurrection angle?

I would say that is worth a try and if it fails, blow it up and start from scratch with a 2016 or 2017 early 1st round QB.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Shanahan is a QB killer. The bears would be foolish to hire him.
  • Options
    Fox would be the best option IMO. He'd have his hands full with Cutler though. Going from a game manager in Manning to a gun slinger. Though I do wonder how close Manning and Fox were. Clearly one of the best QBs of all time but I could see how that might get under a coaches skin with the QB running the show, changing plays, running practices...
  • Options
    Gotta love when people call Cutler a "coach killer". One of the dumbest fucking terms out there. Just something that the talking head dipshits on ESPN came up with and everyone latches on to it. I'm no Cutler apologist. He's just not a very good QB. Plain and simple. People try to make it so much more than it really is.
  • Options
    Bowles goes to the Jets. Sounds like Gase is going to SF. I'm guessing it will either be Fox or Quinn for the Bears. Part of me wants Fox. Another part of me wants Quinn
  • Options
    Gotta love when people call Cutler a "coach killer". One of the dumbest fucking terms out there. Just something that the talking head dipshits on ESPN came up with and everyone latches on to it. I'm no Cutler apologist. He's just not a very good QB. Plain and simple. People try to make it so much more than it really is.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-cutler-firings-bears-spt-1230-bears-20141229-story.html

10 different coaches since 2009. This is the tribune, not espn (btw)
  • Options

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-cutler-firings-bears-spt-1230-bears-20141229-story.html

10 different coaches since 2009. This is the tribune, not espn (btw)

Like I said...I'm not a Cutler apologist at all. But is that his fault or management's fault? I mean...just look at this list of coaches...just awful. It's comical to me how much blame is placed on Cutler. And most of it is based off of his "bad body language" and "he looks like he doesn't care". The fact is that he just isn't a very good QB. That's pretty plain and simple to me.....not sure why the media is always trying to make it so much more than it is. But I guess that makes him a "coach killer".
  • Options
    Robert Griffin, Eli manning, Mark Sanchez, teddy bridewater, Andy daulton, Matt Ryan, Ryan tannehill, geno Smith, Derek Carr, Blake bordles, Alex smith, Charlie Whitehurst, Mike glennon. I'm sure there a couple that I'm forgetting.
    I would take Jay Cutler over any of these starting quarterbacks. I could take Eli off that list with OBJ, but I'm still ok taking Cutler ahead of him.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    ^^^^ null

Id take Matt Ryan..Eli.. And possibly tanyhill over jerk face jay
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Wma31394 wrote: »
    ^^^^ null

Id take Matt Ryan..Eli.. And possibly tanyhill over jerk face jay

Yep. I'd probably take Carr and Bridgewater too....young guys with a bright future. It's pretty clear what Cutler is at this point.
  • Options
    I'm not sold on Bridgewater yet. But yeah, I'd take Cutler of Eli and Ryan.
  • Options
    *over*
  • Options
    Deal that would bring John Fox to the bears as their head coach is all but done. Good for the bears. They got something right.
  • Options
    Deal that would bring John Fox to the bears as their head coach is all but done. Good for the bears. They got something right.

Yep. I like it. A coach who has been successful in 2 previous spots. A guy that will get respect from the locker room immediately....something that was lacking big time the past 2 years with Trestman.
  • Options

Yep. I like it. A coach who has been successful in 2 previous spots. A guy that will get respect from the locker room immediately....something that was lacking big time the past 2 years with Trestman.

This^. Fox doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd take shit from anyone and runs a tight program. Certainly won't allow a guy to miss practice or a game to open a restaurant!
  • Options

This^. Fox doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd take shit from anyone and runs a tight program. Certainly won't allow a guy to miss practice or a game to open a restaurant!

I can't even imagine how toxic that locker room was this past season. I know a lot of stories have leaked, but there are probably so many more that won't. Trestman has to go down as the worst Bears coach of all time, right?

Interesting thing about the Briggs restaurant fiasco....Briggs was on ESPN1000 last week and said he straight up told Trestman why he asked for a personal day. And then Trestman acted surprised about it when he was asked about in a press conference a few days later. Just one of many examples of Trestman not having a fucking clue.