Options

Which songs will survive live from Lightning Bolt?

On later tours, which songs will still be staples? Will Mind Your Manners dissapear like The Fixer has done? Will Sirens survive like Just Breathe and Amongst the Waves?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    I think Mind Your Manners will be considered one of Pearl Jam's greatest up there with Hail, Hail and Rearview Mirror rankings. I would bet that one will show up consistently on future set lists. I have a feeling Swallowed Whole will find a good spot from now on too because that one kinda reminds me of Corduroy. And I think Getaway is as god as Got Some, Animal, Severed Hand, and most of the rockers but I never heard it live and I think I remember reading on here that it doesn't translate well to a live performance. Is that true about Getaway?

I have a feeling Lightning Bolt, Sirens, and Pendulum might not show up so much after the next album comes out.

There's my two cents.
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    otter said:

I think Mind Your Manners will be considered one of Pearl Jam's greatest up there with Hail, Hail and Rearview Mirror rankings. I would bet that one will show up consistently on future set lists. I have a feeling Swallowed Whole will find a good spot from now on too because that one kinda reminds me of Corduroy. And I think Getaway is as god as Got Some, Animal, Severed Hand, and most of the rockers but I never heard it live and I think I remember reading on here that it doesn't translate well to a live performance. Is that true about Getaway?

I have a feeling Lightning Bolt, Sirens, and Pendulum might not show up so much after the next album comes out.

There's my two cents.

Listen to this version from Amsterdam. I think it works, but always "sad" when Eddie reads off lyrics of the floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43c83dCaoeE

Sirens is a Just Breathe-esque hit. I'll think it will stick but not at every show. Lightning Bolt and MYM will stick around. Pendulum will be gone.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Getaway seems like it's being played at the right speed and in the right key. The version that I heard in PHX sounded really different.

MYM, LB, and Sirens are the new staples and are here for the duration.
    My opinion, Yellow Moon and Future Days will find their way into many first encores.
    I really like Infallible, as well.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I think Pendulum will be one of the regular opening songs
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Pendulum, MYM, Sirens, Lightning Bolt, Future Days and Infallible are the ones you can expect every 2 or 3 shows IMO for future tours
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    I think lb will be on the same page as corduroy. Same kind of feel to both songs.
    Mym, yellow moon, lb and sirens will be regulars in the future.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I think getaway has got better the more they play it.
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    That Getaway was great but looks like it's one of those songs that kills Ed's throat.
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    My personal opinion ranking the likelihood of each song sticking around heading into the future:
    1) Lightning Bolt - 100% will stick. It is to LB what Unthought Known is to Backspacer, which has turned into that album's most-played song and still an energized crowd favorite.
    2) MYM - tons of fun every time, lots of energy, great for an early set crowd pumper
    3) Sirens - If LB is this album's Unthought Known, this is its Just Breathe. So I think we'll see it every third to sixth show.
    4) Pendulum - I think it'll continue to open shows, just not nearly as often. It'll probably be as common as Long Road, Of the Girl, Wash, etc. as an opener.
    5) Let the Records Play - I see them continuing to pair it with STBC every so often moving forward, but obviously not as much as this past year.
    6) Yellow Moon - will become a much sought-after gem similar to Binaural tracks like NAIS, Parting Ways.
    7) Future Days - future rare encore song
    8) Getaway - Great song on record that's so-so live
    9) Swallowed Whole - one of my favorites from the LP that I believe gets largely overlooked among the fanbase, but seems to be missing something live. The arrangement just might be tough to deliver in that setting.
    10) My Father's Son - they obviously aren't huge fans of playing this one, and it's a bit too weird to stick around as a regular. Will end up being a cool rarity to catch once every 10-20 shows.
    11) Infallible - Great song, in my opinion, but just rough vocally live, and Ed's voice isn't likely going to improve moving forward.
    12) SBM - No explanation needed
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706
    lightning bolt will get played a lot, they seem to really enjoy playing it

was sad to miss out on infalliable and getaway in Europe

but tbh lightning bolt wasn't heavily represented at all
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Yes lightning bolt was played at just about every show, so no doubt it stays.

I agree with whoever said its like backspacers unthought known
    Bang on my friend
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    edited August 2014
    I think Lightning Bolt will actually find its way into regular rotation; it is a great live song. MYM is another I think that will show up often in future tours.

I really like Getaway and heard it live twice. The first time I heard it in Seattle I didn't think it sounded so great live, but I remember it sounding a lot better in Trieste this year. I hope they find a way to get this on to more setlist.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    edited August 2014
    Lightning Bolt and Mind Your Manners are both far superior to The Fixer, so I hope they stick around. I think Pendulum enters the ranks of semi-regular openers. Doubt you will see too many shows where Sirens, Yellow Moon and Future Days are all played. I think all three become here and there songs. As for the rest, maybe a few plays each tour but it won't be surprising if some don't appear quite as often.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    sirens and lighting bolt for sure
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Like others have already said, Lightning Bolt, MYM and Sirens will be set list regulars for sure on future tours. Any song that encourages a crowd sing-a-long will always be a staple in PJ's set. Personally I really love Yellow Moon live as well and would love nothing more than to see a NAIS -> Yellow Moon one day.

RM
  • Options
    GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 231
    I agree with most. I think LB and MYM will be played most often. Things like Yellow Moon, Swallowed Whole and Sirens will be moderately played kinda like In Hiding is. The rest will likely show up once per tour.

I know I'm a minority here, but I like their take on SBM. It has grown on me, I guess because I gave it a chance. I wish it was played more often.. For me it reminds me of something from Zeppelin III..
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Another interesting point is which songs will be rarity? I think it is fair to say Force of Nature from B/S and Inside Job from S/T are rarities now.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

Pendulum, MYM, Sirens, Lightning Bolt, Future Days and Infallible are the ones you can expect every 2 or 3 shows IMO for future tours

I tend to agree with this post...and I'm thinking that Yellow Moon may become the rarity song from Lightning Bolt!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    pdalowsky said:

lightning bolt will get played a lot, they seem to really enjoy playing it

was sad to miss out on infalliable and getaway in Europe

but tbh lightning bolt wasn't heavily represented at all

Was strange how as the tour went on they didn't play much of the album. If you only attended the last 2 shows you'd have got just Pendulum, MYM, Lightning Bolt and Sirens all twice and Let The Records Play and Yellow Moon once. Compare that to the first 2 shows in Amsterdam and they played everything but Infallible, Yellow Moon and Future Days.

I expected Yellow Moon and Future Days to get played alot more.

Back on topic, I think Lightning Bolt is already a staple in the set. Sirens will probably stick around. The rest I'm not sure. Swallowed Whole and My Fathers Son are hardly getting played already.

And Getaway in Amsterdam was awesome!

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I think the only one that actually sounds good live is "Lightning Bolt". The rest just don't sound right. I've always felt that most Pearl Jam songs sound better live. Lightning Bolt is the first album where I feel like the album sounds better. A million times better.
  • Options
    lostalias said:

I think the only one that actually sounds good live is "Lightning Bolt". The rest just don't sound right. I've always felt that most Pearl Jam songs sound better live. Lightning Bolt is the first album where I feel like the album sounds better. A million times better.

I think that's more attributed to the fact that they're new songs which the band is still trying to work out the kinks in a live setting. If you go back to previous tours and listen to those boots you'll notice that some of the new songs sound just as awkward as LB does live right now.

• Options
    derbydave said:

I tend to agree with this post...and I'm thinking that Yellow Moon may become the rarity song from Lightning Bolt!
    Yellow Moon has already been played 21 times this tour, definitely not rare status if you ask me. My Father's Son and Swallowed Whole will be the rare gems from this album that everyone will be posting request for the band to play at the show they're attending.

RM
  • Options

On later tours, which songs will still be staples? Will Mind Your Manners dissapear like The Fixer has done? Will Sirens survive like Just Breathe and Amongst the Waves?

Lightning Bolt will be a staple.
    Yellow Moon will evolve into a staple
    MYM is already a staple

Infallible will disappear
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    otter said:

There's my two cents.

No way Lightning Bolt drops out. If anything, that's the sure fire to stay...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    I think Sirens may well stick around.

I hope Pendulum does as well. Hearing it live made me like it more than I did just listening to the album version.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    vant0037 said:

otter said:

There's my two cents.

No way Lightning Bolt drops out. If anything, that's the sure fire to stay...
    Lightning Bolt already sounds like it has been part of the setlists for years!

I feel the songs off this album fit more into the sets than the Backspacer ones did.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706
    hit a bunch of shows this tour and heard only Just breathe off backspacer.......
  • Options
    Lightning Bolt and MYM will b in heavy rotation.

Sirens and Yellow Moon will pop up fairly often or at least more often than the rest
  • Options
    Here's the thing with expecting any of these to become staples - unless they plan to significantly change what they've been doing or start to play 4 hour sets!!!!! None of them will become true staples. Considering you already have about 10 staples a few of which are fairly long (Porch, Evenflow, Alive, Indifference/YLB), there's simply not enough time in the set (my parens were just 25 minutes of a 180). I think stuff like LB, Pendulum and MYM will end up in regular rotation, but to expect any of them to be staples would be a long shot. Would you call Release a staple? I don't think so, but it's played every 5th show or so. Do you really expect any of these to get more play than that? To me staples are songs you'd expect to hear at least once in a 2 night stand. I don't think any of these become that. As you add more songs to the catalog, it's less likely anything new becomes a staple.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    sirens
    danny d