Canadian Treats You Can't Get in the United States

Ok so in a recent discussion with a friend who lives in the States I learned that he didn't know what poutine is....my friend and I were horrified to discover this....I have since learned you don't know what Nanaimo bars are and this horrified me worse than the poutine!!! So then it got she & I on a search for stuff we have that you guys don't and we have a hard time believing some of it... This is the list we've compiled...let me know if this is accurate and if there are other things not listed...I'm thinking this friend may be getting a little care package educating him on the fantastic treats he's missing out on.

Poutine
Nanaimo bars
Smarties
Coffee Crisp
Turtles
Wunderbar
Oh Henry
Eatmore
Crispy Crunch
Hawkins Cheezies
Ketchup chips
Dill Pickle chips
All Dressed Chips
Hickory Sticks
Shreddies cereal
Pirate cookies

What am I missing? And what do I have incorrect info about and you can actually get?

Comments

• BCBABCBA Posts: 220
    Molson dry
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Maybe it's because I live at the border... but we always have had smartees, ohenry, turtles, and wunderbar. Some restaurants have pouting too but nowhere near as common as canadia
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Cadbury is another thing that we have in Canada but did not have in the states, but Cadbury was purchased by an American company (few years ago?) so we are starting to see Cadbury products around regular stores here in the US.

Smarties and coffee crisp are available at the international section at wal mart.
    Kinder Eggs are another thing, but apparently highly illegal to bring over.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Idris said:

Cadbury is another thing that we have in Canada but did not have in the states, but Cadbury was purchased by an American company (few years ago?) so we are starting to see Cadbury products around regular stores here in the US.

Smarties and coffee crisp are available at the international section at wal mart.

I love cardbury! Ya the states do have it, I belive hershey bought them.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I had a coworker tell me about the All-Dressed chips last week. I really want to try them!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    MayDay10 said:

Maybe it's because I live at the border... but we always have had smartees, ohenry, turtles, and wunderbar. Some restaurants have pouting too but nowhere near as common as canadia

East Coast has had most of these items as well. I've been eating O'Henry bars and Cadbury creme eggs since I'm a child, and that's a long time ago. Have also seen ketchup and dill pickle chips too.

Poutine... we have a variation we call "Disco Fries", which is a plate of french fries with melted mozzarella and gravy. But probably like in Canada, it is eaten at a greasy diner at 3:00 in the morning after a night of drinking.

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,674

I had a coworker tell me about the All-Dressed chips last week. I really want to try them!

They are great, one of my favs behind salt & vinegar
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Beaver tail

Kinder egg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    There are these maple caramels (nancy's ?) that I fell in love with, can't get them here. I usually seek out the international section at Cost Plus to get candy that most grocery stores don't carry.

I think it's lovely you are sending your friend some unique treats. I know some Canadian friends that would love to get some Paydays, Easy Cheese, and a few other things from the US.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    edited August 2014
    Kinder eggs are banned in the U.S. Cause kids here may eat/choke on the toy.
    Post edited by Idris on
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I would've sworn I've seen those kinder eggs here.

Can confirm oh! Henry and Smarties are easily available here. Cadbury too but I'd question the selection. I picked up Oreo & Daim dairy milk bars in England cuz I've never seen them here. Oh and a crunchie one too. But here I can easily get Turkish, fruit & nut, whole nut, the caramel one, etc.

Dill pickle & ketchup chips have popped up fairly recently. Frankly I think the chip making people have lost their minds. I've seen Cappuccino, mango salsa, and similar nonsense recently.

What's a Nanaimo? And why does my autocorrect know what it is?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    edited August 2014
    ldent42 said:

I would've sworn I've seen those kinder eggs here.

Can confirm oh! Henry and Smarties are easily available here. Cadbury too but I'd question the selection. I picked up Oreo & Daim dairy milk bars in England cuz I've never seen them here. Oh and a crunchie one too. But here I can easily get Turkish, fruit & nut, whole nut, the caramel one, etc.

Dill pickle & ketchup chips have popped up fairly recently. Frankly I think the chip making people have lost their minds. I've seen Cappuccino, mango salsa, and similar nonsense recently.

What's a Nanaimo? And why does my autocorrect know what it is?

Ha, Nanaimo is a small city on the east coast of Vancouver Island in BC. Supposedly that's where the nanaimo bar originated. It's a dessert square that requires no baking. They are too sweet for me personally, but a lot of people love them. They are definitely very Canadian.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Longueuil said:

Beaver tail

Kinder egg

I've seen Kinder eggs before, but never a Beaver tail--what is it?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Canada, you are officially out of control when you are eating a dish that cannot even be found in Wisconsin. Seek help!

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Idris said:
    That one linked to this one: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20110418/upper-east-side/easter-egg-hunt-search-for-contraband-kinder-eggs

I knew I'd seen them around here before. The supermarket I'm thinking of used to sell a LOT of european chocolate. It was the first place I saw the light purple wrapper chocolate bars too. They've since gentrified though and I don't think they sell regular chocolate anymore. :(
    I want to try one now.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    A Beavertail is a piece of fried dough roughly the shape of a .... well, you can guess. Basically a flat donut. The original ones have sugar and cinnamon but you can get them with all kinds of other flavours, like chocolate, Nutella, fruit, etc. They are iconic in the stalls along the Rideau Canal in Ottawa, which freezes in the winter allowing you to skate for miles, but are also found in other winter destinations. Yum.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

A Beavertail is a piece of fried dough roughly the shape of a .... well, you can guess. Basically a flat donut. The original ones have sugar and cinnamon but you can get them with all kinds of other flavours, like chocolate, Nutella, fruit, etc. They are iconic in the stalls along the Rideau Canal in Ottawa, which freezes in the winter allowing you to skate for miles, but are also found in other winter destinations. Yum.

Kinda sounds like what we in the PNW call a 'maple bar' or everywhere else they call it a 'longjohn' (yes we still say 'maple bar' if it has chocolate instead of maple icing on it...it's a 'chocolate maple bar')
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425

Smarties
    Turtles
    Oh Henry
    Dill Pickle chips
    Shreddies cereal

We have all those and have had them as long as I can remember. Maybe some others not here we have too. Shreddies are wheat Chex.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,773
    Learn something new everyday.

we have our own version of smarties
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    the kinder egg ban is real ...

Canadian Kinder Surprise smuggling ring broken up by US officials
    http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/blog/2014/06/02/canadian-kinder-surprise-smuggling-ring-broken-up-by-us-officials/
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224

That is call Rockets here

That's Smarties. It look like M&M, but doesn't taste like it
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,773
    Longueuil said:

That is call Rockets here

That's Smarties. It look like M&M, but doesn't taste like it
    yeah i googled that. i think nesltle bought the name or something. your smarties look pretty good too.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    edited August 2014
    Smarties don't look that good anymore. They decided to go with all natural colouring, and they look like someone's already sucked on them for a bit and spit them back in the box. :(
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I gave an Aero and a pack of smarties to a girl I met the other day, she said it tasted soooo great,

She originally asked me to pick up a Hershey Bar for her, I had to get her the other chocolates as well for her to try.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    I feel like I have been seeing poutine a lot lately. Although I'm not sure how it compares to the poutine in Canada. I really need to try some authentic poutine at some point.
    Longueuil said:

Beaver tail

Kinder egg
    image</blockquote

The Beavertail looks amazing!

Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    Jason P said:

Canada, you are officially out of control when you are eating a dish that cannot even be found in Wisconsin. Seek help!

I can think of at least 3 places in Madison that serve poutine.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    PJ_Soul said:

Smarties don't look that good anymore. They decided to go with all natural colouring, and they look like someone's already sucked on them for a bit and spit them back in the box. :(

hahahahaha! ewww.... image

- Christopher McCandless