Options

Lightning Bolt masterpiece

callencallen Posts: 6,388
edited July 2014 in The Porch
Just an incredible album. Not many artists put out such a gem later in career.

Followed Yield tonight and it compares.

Good job gents. See you in Colorado.
10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
Post edited by callen on

Comments

• Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I think LB is one of their best. I agree.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    The first week it was out I proclaimed it a masterpiece to my friends, who are all 10c members... they were a little mixed. .. but I am not, I love everything about this album
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    I've never been so split on a PJ album, half of the songs I love and can't get enough of and the other half I could take or leave. Overall it ends up in the top half for PJ albums for me which is pretty amazing considering most of the world thinks they disappeared 20 years ago.
  • Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    Have to agree!
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,898
    RiotZact said:

I've never been so split on a PJ album, half of the songs I love and can't get enough of and the other half I could take or leave. Overall it ends up in the top half for PJ albums for me which is pretty amazing considering most of the world thinks they disappeared 20 years ago.

Totally agree with you. I find myself skipping 4 to 5 songs every listen.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 580
    I think it's a great album and amazing that a band could put out such a fine record at this stage of their career.

However I feel it dips slightly in the 2nd half and for that reason I would only have it about eighth best on my list. Just my opinion of course!
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 749
    Getaway, MYM, Lightning Bolt, Sirens, Pendulum would have made a killer EP....

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I like it but can do without yellow moon and future days. They sound cheesy.
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
    I could do without let the records play and infallible, they aren't bad but i just find myself skipping them, but overall I love the album
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    I can do without Sirens.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    I like Infallible to begin with but I find myself skipping it now. I was surprised to like Sleeping By Myself as much as I do. Swallowed Whole is underrated. Great tune. Getaway, My Father's Son, Swallowed Whole, and Yellow Moon are my favorite tracks. Wonderful album.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Ten
    No Code
    LB
    Yield
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    8-}

;)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    edited July 2014
    If you were to play Getaway, Infallible, My Father's Son and Swallowed Whole right now, I'm not sure I could tell you which was which. Those are the tracks that never connected with me and now I tend to skip.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    j3brow1j3brow1 Posts: 37
    JimmyV said:

If you were to play Getaway, Infallible, My Father's Son and Swallowed Whole right now, I'm not sure I could tell you which was which. Those are the tracks that never connected with me and now I tend to skip.

Wow. 4 strong tracks there. To each their own ...
    I'm in the camp that feels this is a very good record. Front to back. Everything from the artwork, music, lyrics, sequencing ...it's all there. Masterpiece? Don't know. I do feel the 2nd half of their career is every bit as good as the first. Riot act --> Avocado ---> Backspacer ---> LB is one hell of a run.
    the all encompassing trip
  • Options
    Where is the love for BS?
    j3brow1 said:

JimmyV said:

I'm in the camp that feels this is a very good record. Front to back. Everything from the artwork, music, lyrics, sequencing ...it's all there. Masterpiece? Don't know. I do feel the 2nd half of their career is every bit as good as the first. Riot act --> Avocado ---> Backspacer ---> LB is one hell of a run.
    Where is the love for BS?
  • Options
    j3brow1 said:

JimmyV said:

I agree that Lightning Bolt is a strong album. The four I mentioned just haven't connected with me...yet.

Pendulum is fantastic. MYM and LB are great additions to the live catalog. I think Yellow Moon is, too. Sirens is beautiful.

• Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    edited July 2014
    Lightning Bolt should have been two EPs

#1 "Shucks, I love my family so I need to believe in some afterlife but christianity sure seems like some bs to me lately"
    Getaway, MYM, Infallible, Pendulum

#2 "Dad is getting old, and afraid of death, so let's (dad) rock"
    Sirens, Future Days, Lightning Bolt, Swallowed Whole

Not sure Pendulum fits on the first record (it is probably closest to Sirens lyrically), but it certainly isn't dad rock and it is the best song on the album so I wasn't going to cut it.

Let the Records Play is straight ahead dad rock and could be on #2, but is just not a good song, it would be better fitted as a b-side. I get the feeling that Sleeping by Myself is someone (maybe O'Brien) thinking it could be a pop hit as a full band song. It definitely should have been shelved once it was clear that it wasn't a winner. My Father's Son is another Ament rocker that isn't bad, will be fine live, but makes little impression and will not have staying power (God's Dice, Ghost). Yellow Moon is a swing and a miss lyrically by EV trying to recall his Into the Wild magic. It feels forced and boring. It is the most disappointing song on the album for me because I think that both the tempo, and EV channelling nature is right in PJ's wheelhouse at this stage of their career.
  • Options
    weebleweeble Bristol, England Posts: 133
    I love it, but I agree it dies feel a little too Dad Rock! Let The Records Play is so Dad Rock its nuts! The whole album for me is missing a gritty edge. That angst, that raw energy.

That said, I do prefer it to No Code.....

:)
    This might pass, this might last, this may grow
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I skip Sirens, Sleeping By Myself and Future Days
    thus, I only skip 3 songs
    thus, since I skip more on self-titled and Backspacer, it is far superior to those albums
    I am pleasantly surprised how good it is
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    If I were to rank the last four albums:

1) S/T
    2) Lightning Bolt
    3) Riot Act
    4) Backspacer

LB is a close second. BS is bringing up the rear by quite a bit.

• Options
    Staney12Staney12 Posts: 42
    Ten
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    No Code
    Lightning Bolt
    Backspacer
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Pearl Jam
  • Options
    Staney12Staney12 Posts: 42
    Ps Unfortunately, I tend to skip Infallible, Let the Records Play & Sleeping By Myself
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    I love it -- every album has a few that have to really grow on you down the road. For LB, to me, it is Yellow Moon & Future Days. I like that they are at the end of the album so I can just listen up through there and cut it. I do listen to them probably 1 out of 5 x. I also tend to skip MYM and Sirens as I listened to the shit out of them when they first came out.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The Brendan O'Brien piano outro to end the album still pisses me off.

• Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    This album is starting to grow on me a little but I just can't get into Let the records play (it is my least favorite song of all time), Sleeping by myself & Future days. This album is not one of my favorites. So I will just leave it at that.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    If LTRP is "dad rock," then Sirens is "1000% mom rock."
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

This album is starting to grow on me a little but I just can't get into Let the records play (it is my least favorite song of all time), Sleeping by myself & Future days. This album is not one of my favorites. So I will just leave it at that.

Some great guitar on "let the records play". Do skip a few songs but get that same musical high on much of it that drove me to PJ. Self Titled had some as well.

Just struck how good after following up to Yield.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Easily their second weakest album after Backspacer.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    RiotZact said:

This. Exactly.

Sleeping by Myself and Future Days absolutely destroy the last half of the album for me. There's nothing more I hate than skipping a track on a PJ album.