Options

Oslo didn't deserve Strangest Tribe

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    JimmyV said:

He showed back up and apologized. Not everyone would.

exactly, but you know Pearl Jam fans

...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

i know. my post didn't say what i thought about that. your post does a much better job of that. :)
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    JimmyV said:

Yep fair play to OP. End of discussion really!

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    hansmariushansmarius Posts: 16
    edited July 2014
    Probably silly to get a bit provoked by this but anyway...

A couple of things to know.

A norwegian crowd is often very "sedate" in lack of a better word. Attentive, listening. Not necessarily jumping up and down, although you'll see some of that too. I've been to several death metal shows here and in Sweden where a lot of the crowd stood arms crossed and just nodding their heads rythmically...

Second, this was the bands 6th time in Norway. Between 93 and 99 they had no appearances here or close to here, After 2000 they waited again 12 years until they reappeared in 2012. So it's probably true that the majority in the crowd didn't know every song played in Oslo, Strangest Tribe in particular. A lot of us did, though. When I say a lot, I may be speaking for a thousand, maybe even less. Given the fact that I live in Norway I am never gonna reach a hundred shows. I counted my seventh now. The fact is getting from where I live in Norway to Oslo cost me more than the plane ticket I bought from Oslo to New York (going there in september). I can't begin to describe how much it means to me that the Oslo setlist turned out that way. It's one of those things you read about and think "I'm never gonna get to watch a show like that".

In the US the band and the fans has cultivated their releationship through countless concerts and naturally you'll find more really hardcore fans there that know each note and the title of every obscure track. But in any big crowd I guess you'll see both... Norway has 5 million people, and Oslo has less than a million people.

A crowd jumping up and down and screaming during Strangest Tribe isn't very respectful or attentive and certainly doesn't deserve such a treat.

I say if anyone deserved this it was sundays crowd. The band thought so too, and that should be enough.
    Post edited by hansmarius on
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,818

rafie said:

The song was played due to the never ending requests by a guy from Germany named Mike. During the 2012 tour he made tons of banners with "strangest tribe" written on them and handed them out to people (got one myself too). He went to multiple shows that tour and showed the banner (even got the finger from Ed once or twice). He took the banner since then to shows in south america and the last US tour. This Euro tour the banner kept on going being reinforced by the euro crowd (some with their own 2012 "strangest tribe" banners and some with signs made on the spot). Mike did (I think) all the shows up until now and at every show has shown the banner and requested the song. At Berlin, a bunch of people on the rail spelled out the song name on individual letters and Ed told them to spell a different song name with the letters (they spelled "Bee girl" which the band then played that night).
    To say that "Oslo did not deserve it" is ridiculous. It was the perfect crowd reaction for that song - total silence in order to appreciate being a part of PJ history!

(/end rant)

And there it goes. Thank You for that, the answer. I appreciate it. Sorry for pissing off soo many people, I was totally wasted last night, like Blackout Town, population 1 (wife and kid are outta of town, first time in 3 years). Anyway I apologize. I should have never written this post or honestly never been online. I'm totally not an elitist, although I may be an asshole from time to time obviously. Anyway I would like to recant my post. I'm embarrassed and have been extremely hung over for like 15 hours. Anyway, Oslo deserved it. Every city that gets a PJ show deserves it and all that comes with it. Again I was wrong and soo sorry for upsetting this many people. The song sounds/looks much better sober.
    No problem. Good to see someone owning up to a mistake!! Alcohol will do that! Haha
  • Options
    hansmariushansmarius Posts: 16
    Okay, so I posted before reading the whole thread.

Mighty big of Foriginal Sin to apologize. Cool. :)
  • Options
    stankratzstankratz Posts: 183
    I posted before seeing that the OP retracted his original statement, fair play to Foriginal Sin. Everyone makes (drunken) mistakes, only a fraction of people admit to them and say that they were wrong. This thread now gives me hope!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    the most rare pj song played at oslo??
    damn
    i didnt pay attention cos was chatting to a Norwegian redhead hottie amd seems i missed it..
    cool i was at the show tho..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

damn
    i didnt pay attention cos was chatting to a Norwegian redhead hottie amd seems i missed it..

i'm calling bullshit on you missing the song! redhead hottie, not bad B-)
  • Options

damn

not only i did that but i never sucked satans dick...true story...what ever u listen or see are rumors..lol
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237
    Downtown , fallen angel , hey foxymophandlemoma that's me , scenery , truth be known , and what happened yesterday Hope we see these in Leeds , that's would be amazing would we not deserve to see any obscure rare tracks ?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,617
    Posting under the influence is a tricky business OP, lol. ;)
    Good of you to retract your statement.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Damn, I just read thru this whole thread. I was actually starting to feel bad for the OP. I mean you guys were shitting on him.
    I am glad this story had a happy ending.

and kiddies...the morale of the story: when you're drunk- stay away from cell phones and computers.... I can confirm that!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    Good on OP for retracting statement. Well done man.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Nice comeback OP. The demon alcohol strikes again... 8-X
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I am very happy for anybody who was at the Oslo show to witness this for the first time and hope it broke a spell and will make a reappearance!

Nevertheless, I am still wondering how you can spell BEE GIRL with the letters of Strangest Tribe :P hehehe ...
  • Options

I am still wondering how you can spell BEE GIRL with the letters of Strangest Tribe :P hehehe ...

no shit!! conspiracy! :ar!
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484

Nevertheless, I am still wondering how you can spell BEE GIRL with the letters of Strangest Tribe :P hehehe ...

You use a joker letter L. ;)
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Forgive & forget.......No worries.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    shep said:

when I asked what she did for a living that allows her that much time to travel the people around her looked at me like I was the retard...

I know the feeling. I don't question anyone's sanity or reasons for following a band whole tours through. But I'm just damn curious how people can make it happen. Made a shit ton of money in the stock market before 30 and retired early? Work part time half the year and travel the rest and don't care about saving for the future? Don't feel the need for a full-time gig and health insurance in exchange for the freedom of the open road? So many questions!

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

damn

not only i did that but i never sucked satans dick...true story...what ever u listen or see are rumors..lol
    Idk dimi, need I remind u of Amsterdam 1 and your buddies from Sweden? ;) that fucken clown even got our joint taken away. In fucken Amsterdam out of all the places. Thanks Sweden!!!! =))
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    As one there, my reaction was jaw-dropped awe, as it was for everyone around me. A bunch of hardcore, 10c vets, we all looked at each other in disbelief. It wasn't the time to sing our brains out, (rest assured, we did that quite loudly the rest of the time) but rather soak it in, bask in the sheer beauty of it. Trust me, it was more than appreciated by the crowd, and it was one hell of a crowd despite the small size.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

damn

Idk dimi, need I remind u of Amsterdam 1 and your buddies from Sweden? ;) that fucken clown even got our joint taken away. In fucken Amsterdam out of all the places. Thanks Sweden!!!! =))
    if i tell u satan dick story and see fotos,u will laugh for a year..eheheheh
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

damn

if i tell u satan dick story and see fotos,u will laugh for a year..eheheheh
    I'll be waiting for those pics buddy! I'm sure I'm gonna love the story too! =))
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    Crucify hi....... oh I see the OP apologized. All good now.
  • Options
    dreamtonicdreamtonic Posts: 127
    Contributing some history here: on the last tour (2012) fans at the Stockholm show made a massive sign from cardboard pieces. Each piece had a letter and it was spread along the rail. It spelled out "Strangest Tribe." Eddie slowly scanned it. His "concentrated reading" face went to a smile and eye roll when he realized it was a rarities request. He responded with a "Ah, you fckers" and kinda laughed it off. Maybe that has something to do with it being played in Oslo. Maybe they remembered it was Scandinavia, but didn't remember which city. It's definitely at least a possibility.
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,272

Contributing some history here: on the last tour (2012) fans at the Stockholm show made a massive sign from cardboard pieces. Each piece had a letter and it was spread along the rail. It spelled out "Strangest Tribe." Eddie slowly scanned it. His "concentrated reading" face went to a smile and eye roll when he realized it was a rarities request. He responded with a "Ah, you fckers" and kinda laughed it off. Maybe that has something to do with it being played in Oslo. Maybe they remembered it was Scandinavia, but didn't remember which city. It's definitely at least a possibility.

Could be but the Touring Poles had different ST signs at rail this tour. I helped them holding it in Berlin, Eddie asked if they could spell another song with those letters (Listen to the boot). Another ST sign in both STHLM and Oslo where Eddie got the sign after they played it, -We don't need this any more! Eddie also told before they played it - This is for you at the first row, doing 4 shows at 5 days. It's hard for us getting around (private jet and tour busses) don't know how you make it (using public transportstion).
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    edited July 2014
    So the same fans from Poland (and a Swede) has been at rail (or 2nd to rail) the last couple of shows with the ST sign, Eddie do know that IF you get to rail you need to be outside sleeping or early morning. It was a thank you to the 10C members touring with the band that tailgate outside the venue each show. I don't take any credits for ST, it's all thanks to the Touring Poles.
    Post edited by WhyNotSweden on
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options

So the same fans from Poland (and a Swede) has been at rail (or 2nd to rail) the last couple of shows with the ST sign, Eddie do know that IF you get to rail you need to be outside sleeping or early morning. It was a thank you to the 10C members touring with the band that tailgate outside the venue each show. I don't take any credits for ST, it's all thanks to the Touring Poles.

at 2012 we have 50 signs -flags for strangest tribe we put them up at every encore of shows..and if i remember well was at berlin 2 ..eddie gave us the finger...hehehehe
  • Options
    edited July 2014

at 2012 we have 50 signs -flags for strangest tribe we put them up at every encore of shows..and if i remember well was at berlin 2 ..eddie gave us the finger...hehehehe

Eddie wasn't that happy this year either......2 minutes mark is classic now....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5DQFxySvzk
    Post edited by WhyNotSweden on
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -13, London, Chicago