Options

Dumb And Dumber To

2»

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315

highest film this weekend at $38 million image

I didn't care for the first one at all and this one looked even dumber (pun intended)

blasphemy. the original is a comedic masterpiece.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited November 2014
    Having been talking about Dumb and Dumber and the sequel non-stop over the past few months, I'm surprised by how many people I've come across that didn't like or didn't even see the original. More shocked than surprised. Today was a perfect example. I'm was telling a girl I work with (a fan of the original) about some of the scenes in the sequel. A new guy at work (Jim? John? Something) joins in the conversation asking me how it was. I acknowledged the bad reviews but then started mentioning all of the things I liked about it. I'm throwing names around (Frieda Feltcher, Billy in 4C, Seabass) like everybody in the world has seen the original movie a million times and loved it. He says he never seen it. A 27-year-old man who seems normal enough....has never seen Dumb and Dumber. What? In a funny exchange, he starts to talk about something he saw in the trailer and said "Well I saw the part where Jim Carrey's character...." and I quickly cut him off and said "LLOYD CHRISTMAS!"
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419

I didn't care for the first one at all and this one looked even dumber (pun intended)

Thank god I'm not alone in this world! Not a fan of the Farrelly Brothers all that much, to be honest. Kingpin was great...the rest, meh.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945

Thank god I'm not alone in this world! Not a fan of the Farrelly Brothers all that much, to be honest. Kingpin was great...the rest, meh.
    :) for a second there i thought i was the only one on the boards :))
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

Having been talking about Dumb and Dumber and the sequel non-stop over the past few months, I'm surprised by how many people I've come across that didn't like or didn't even see the original. More shocked than surprised. Today was a perfect example. I'm was telling a girl I work with (a fan of the original) about some of the scenes in the sequel. A new guy at work (Jim? John? Something) joins in the conversation asking me how it was. I acknowledged the bad reviews but then started mentioning all of the things I liked about it. I'm throwing names around (Frieda Feltcher, Billy in 4C, Seabass) like everybody in the world has seen the original movie a million times and loved it. He says he never seen it. A 27-year-old man who seems normal enough....has never seen Dumb and Dumber. What? In a funny exchange, he starts to talk about something he saw in the trailer and said "Well I saw the part where Jim Carrey's character...." and I quickly cut him off and said "LLOYD CHRISTMAS!"

funny thing is i saw "to" with someone (my sister in law) who never saw the first one.....and she actually liked it more than i did. haha.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Something About Mary?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,500
    "To" is getting ripped.....even by folks who loved the original.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Something About Mary?
    come on! you didn't like something about mary? I think it still holds up almost as well as dumb and dumber does
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i don't understand why people are going into the theaters with such high expectation on this one. the first is an all-time comedy classic. this one? clearly made for the fans that have been begging for a sequel for the past 20 years. of course they will make some dough off of it, but i really think carrey finally threw in the towel and finally signed on to get this one done to give back to the people that made him such a rich fucker off the first.

nothing more, nothing less. you asked for a sequel, here it is. for better or for worse.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    JK_Livin said:

Something About Mary?
    overrated and no where near the same class as dumb and dumber.
  • Options
    rival. said:

JK_Livin said:

Something About Mary?
    overrated and no where near the same class as dumb and dumber.
    Nope
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    JK_Livin said:

Something About Mary?
    That movie is so funny (I actually bought that dvd)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited November 2014
    rival. said:

i don't understand why people are going into the theaters with such high expectation on this one. the first is an all-time comedy classic. this one? clearly made for the fans that have been begging for a sequel for the past 20 years. of course they will make some dough off of it, but i really think carrey finally threw in the towel and finally signed on to get this one done to give back to the people that made him such a rich fucker off the first.

nothing more, nothing less. you asked for a sequel, here it is. for better or for worse.

I completely agree. And the thing is, while I as there, I knew there was some shit on the screen that wasn't good. But I didn't care. The entire scene with Pee Stain's parents, Harry as a science fair judge and that memory machine that shows him putting peanut butter on his dick for his dog to lick off. I could go on. But I don't wanna. There was enough stuff to make me laugh and that made for an enjoyable movie experience. Just good to see them back.

As for my favorite movie buffoons coming back, what's everybody's opinion on Dirt-Ball about to begin filming a sequel? I'm a big fan of the first one. But I know it's a polarizing movie that people either love or hate. This sequel will probably be similar to Dumb and Dumber To as far as dividing the hardcore fans of the original. But like with D&D, I'll just be happy to see another one.

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945
    JK_Livin said:

Something About Mary?
    i thought it was ok. same with Shallow Hal and Stuck On You. They had their moments.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

JK_Livin said:

Something About Mary?
    i was in tears watching it for the first time. still funny 16 years later too.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    There's like a one in a million chance I will go see this movie.

:D
    Ha! I liked the first one, but i'll wait for this one netflix...I do think Jim Carey can get annoying when he tries too hard...which is often. I really liked him in Yes Man and Eternal Sunshine.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

rival. said:

I completely agree. And the thing is, while I as there, I knew there was some shit on the screen that wasn't good. But I didn't care. The entire scene with Pee Stain's parents, Harry as a science fair judge and that memory machine that shows him putting peanut butter on his dick for his dog to lick off. I could go on. But I don't wanna. There was enough stuff to make me laugh and that made for an enjoyable movie experience. Just good to see them back.

As for my favorite movie buffoons coming back, what's everybody's opinion on Dirt-Ball about to begin filming a sequel? I'm a big fan of the first one. But I know it's a polarizing movie that people either love or hate. This sequel will probably be similar to Dumb and Dumber To as far as dividing the hardcore fans of the original. But like with D&D, I'll just be happy to see another one.

I believe sandler is gonna be directing this one? I liked the first one so mite be down with seeing part 2.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248

Annafalk said:

JK_Livin said:

Something About Mary?
    i was in tears watching it for the first time. still funny 16 years later too.
    I literally laughed so hard I fell out of my seat in the theater during the whole Puffy fight and ensuing montage scene.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    JK_Livin said:

Something About Mary?
    It was ok, nothing to write home about. Ben Stiller and Cameron Diaz are two of my least favorite actors.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

JK_Livin said:

Something About Mary?
    come on! you didn't like something about mary? I think it still holds up almost as well as dumb and dumber does
    I did. Someone said that King Pin was the only good Farelly brothers movie so I threw that out there.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    It is very very difficult, if not, impossible, to do a sequel of a comedy. The longer the hiatus, the harder it is.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Ok, so I didn't expect an Oscar winning script or performance. The first dumb and dumber may be the funniest movie of all time. But the second one has the same jokes and bits as the first. I don't know. Maybe they should have left this one alone.