Options

Dumb And Dumber To

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    =))
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    trailer is amazing, cant wait for this movie.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Trailer looks outrageous.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    There's no diamonds in here!
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    So you're saying there's a chance!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    Nami said:

trailer is amazing, cant wait for this movie.

I must have watched it like 30 times. Most anticipated movie for me in my life-time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGXHVlEklgQ&hd=1
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

Slayed me
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited June 2014
    showed the trailer to the wife and she laughed her ass off....November release now thats dumb....lol
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Looks hilarious - can't wait for this movie!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I can't wait. It will be interesting to see how they got the shaggin wagon back. Lloyd traded it to a kid in town, straight up, for the moped.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,122
    Saw the trailer before 22 jump st... Fuckin awesome
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,253
    i cant wait

....dear god these guys look old though
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158

I can't wait. It will be interesting to see how they got the shaggin wagon back. Lloyd traded it to a kid in town, straight up, for the moped.

Maybe he traded it back for another dead bird? Lol
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Maybe he traded it back for another dead bird? Lol
    "You sold a dead bird to a blind kid?"
  • Options
    Really really enjoyed it.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I thought it was fun and better than I expected based on the previews. Definitely no where near the first but I didn't think it was awful like a lot of the reviews
  • Options
    i can't believe you guys liked it that much. i had low expectations, so it exceeded them somewhat. i mean it was kind of funny.....but overall, i left the theater feeling bad for jim carey. he is just not nearly as funny as he was 20 years ago. anyone see him on snl a few weeks ago? it's like he tries too hard now. and i thought he was the weak link of the move. jeff daniels carried it. he acted just like harry from the first one. lloyd's character came off way more unlikeable in this one. something about carey's facial expressions throughout the movie--so much more pronounced than in the first one. for as outlandish as the first one was, a lot of the jokes were subtle.

and the montage at the end during the credits only served to remind me how much inferior this one was to the original.

with all that said, the crowd i was with really like it. people actually clapped at the end. they clapped?!

.......so when i got home, i watched the original to get the bad stench out of my mouth. for my money, it is the greatest comedy ever made.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Hey now. I didn't say I liked I that much. I said it was better than I expected, which was about nothing.

I do agree. Carey seemed like he was playing a character of Lloyd and the facial expressions were way over the top.

Agreed on the montage as well.

I just thought it was better than my low expectations.
  • Options

Hey now. I didn't say I liked I that much. I said it was better than I expected, which was about nothing.

I do agree. Carey seemed like he was playing a character of Lloyd and the facial expressions were way over the top.

Agreed on the montage as well.

I just thought it was better than my low expectations.

touche....it did have it's moments though.

"why do you call him butt hole?"
    "because of this"

ha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    edited November 2014

i can't believe you guys liked it that much. i had low expectations, so it exceeded them somewhat. i mean it was kind of funny.....but overall, i left the theater feeling bad for jim carey. he is just not nearly as funny as he was 20 years ago. anyone see him on snl a few weeks ago? it's like he tries too hard now. and i thought he was the weak link of the move. jeff daniels carried it. he acted just like harry from the first one. lloyd's character came off way more unlikeable in this one. something about carey's facial expressions throughout the movie--so much more pronounced than in the first one. for as outlandish as the first one was, a lot of the jokes were subtle.

and the montage at the end during the credits only served to remind me how much inferior this one was to the original.

with all that said, the crowd i was with really like it. people actually clapped at the end. they clapped?!

.......so when i got home, i watched the original to get the bad stench out of my mouth. for my money, it is the greatest comedy ever made.

You left the theater feeling bad for Jim Carrey because you think he's not as funny as he was 20 years ago? Who in the world is as good at their craft as they were 20 years ago in their prime? Is Lightning Bolt as good as Vitalogy? Not even close. But am I happy there is a Lightning Bolt and do I like few things about it? Sure I do.

Even though I really liked it, I can see what others didn't like about it. But for me, just seeing these two back on the screen was a big deal. I likened it yesterday to seeing a Pearl Jam concert. That's how big a deal it was for me. And like how you and others walked out of Dumb and Dumber To thinking it wasn't that good ("people actually clapped at the end. they clapped?!"), I've walked out of Pearl Jam concerts with the same thinking. "You guys thought THAT was a great Pearl Jam concert? It was okay."

I agree with you though that Lloyd (especially for the first twenty or so minutes) was a bit of an annoying dick. Some said that was consistent with his character in the first one (selling a dead bird to a blind kid) but I think he was more mean-spirited here. I thought Harry was gonna kick his ass at some point.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    yeah. i actually felt embarrassed for him watching him host snl a few weeks ago.

lightning bolt is a pretty good album, in my opinion. so i don't think that is a good analogy. i don't think jim carrey has been in a good movie since the 90's. and i was a big fan of his and was hoping his career would have evolved over the last 10-15 years.

your last paragraph sums it up perfectly. he's the main character of the movie, yet didn't seem much like the character from the first one. he was way more likeable in the first one. you laughed at him, but the way carey portrayed him, you also rooted for him and felt empathy for him. that's what was so great about it. in this one, i just felt like he was a mean spirited douche. jeff daniels managed to portray harry the same way he did back in the day.

and not that it's his fault.....but i think the more youthful jim carey just looked more funny than this older version.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Well you get my point with the Lightning Bolt/Vitalogy thing. Nothing and nobody is as good 20 years after their prime as they were in their prime. Maybe I should have used Blandspacer as an example instead of Lightning Bolt.

Anyway, yeah I was a bit disappointed with Lloyd early on in the movie and you hit the nail on the head when you said in the first movie, you rooted for him and wanted him to succeed. He was way too much of a dick early on in this movie. Again, some might argue that it's consistent with his character ("You are one pathetic loser", "Old people, while slow, can still serve a purpose") but it seemed a little much here how little sympathy he had for Harry's kidney. But overall I still enjoyed it. Probably because it was all new to me. I'm sure I won't watch this a million times like the first movie. And a lot of the gags I laughed my ass off in the theater yesterday might now play as well on a second viewing. But that's okay. For me, it was about yesterday; the first viewing. I went in wanting to enjoy it, wanting to laugh, and I did.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Well you get my point with the Lightning Bolt/Vitalogy thing. Nothing and nobody is as good 20 years after their prime as they were in their prime. Maybe I should have used Blandspacer as an example instead of Lightning Bolt.

Anyway, yeah I was a bit disappointed with Lloyd early on in the movie and you hit the nail on the head when you said in the first movie, you rooted for him and wanted him to succeed. He was way too much of a dick early on in this movie. Again, some might argue that it's consistent with his character ("You are one pathetic loser", "Old people, while slow, can still serve a purpose") but it seemed a little much here how little sympathy he had for Harry's kidney. But overall I still enjoyed it. Probably because it was all new to me. I'm sure I won't watch this a million times like the first movie. And a lot of the gags I laughed my ass off in the theater yesterday might now play as well on a second viewing. But that's okay. For me, it was about yesterday; the first viewing. I went in wanting to enjoy it, wanting to laugh, and I did.

well i think it's still a poor analogy. better to keep it with cinema...because there are plenty of actors who were good/funny 20 years later than they were when they first started. jeff daniels is actually one of them. i think music is the opposite in most cases.

overall, i hear what you're saying though. i don't want to make it seem like i hated the movie. i enjoyed it more than i thought i would. just felt carey's performance was subpar.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Well I haven't seen or cared to see a Jim Carrey movie since like Me, Myself and Irene so maybe I'm being defensive because from 1994 through 2000, I was such huge a Jim Carrey fanboy. So for me, (one last music analogy), his "return" as Lloyd is kinda like a band I loved coming back after a 14 year hiatus, putting out an album that was poorly received, and leaving me to say "Aren't you all just happy they're back? Who would have ever thought they'd come back?!?" So it's just hard for me to judge Carrey's performance as par, subpar, birdie, double bogey, etc, because I really would have taken anything just about anything yesterday. Kinda like how Pink Floyd's "The Endless River" (okay, THIS is the one last music analogy) is made up of 20-year-old rejected instrumentals from a second-rate/Roger Waters-less Pink Floyd, but I'll take it. It's still more Pink Floyd.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited November 2014

You left the theater feeling bad for Jim Carrey because you think he's not as funny as he was 20 years ago? Who in the world is as good at their craft as they were 20 years ago in their prime? Is Lightning Bolt as good as Vitalogy? Not even close. But am I happy there is a Lightning Bolt and do I like few things about it? Sure I do.

Even though I really liked it, I can see what others didn't like about it. But for me, just seeing these two back on the screen was a big deal. I likened it yesterday to seeing a Pearl Jam concert. That's how big a deal it was for me. And like how you and others walked out of Dumb and Dumber To thinking it wasn't that good ("people actually clapped at the end. they clapped?!"), I've walked out of Pearl Jam concerts with the same thinking. "You guys thought THAT was a great Pearl Jam concert? It was okay."

I agree with you though that Lloyd (especially for the first twenty or so minutes) was a bit of an annoying dick. Some said that was consistent with his character in the first one (selling a dead bird to a blind kid) but I think he was more mean-spirited here. I thought Harry was gonna kick his ass at some point.
    I think the rule rather than the exception is that people continue to improve as they gain wisdom and experience throughout their careers. "Peaking" at a younger age in a skilled career is not normal unless you're an athlete or do something else related to using parts of the body (so yes, musicians count.... but not because of losing song writing skills). I expect actors to continually improve as they gain experience and a richer understanding of the range human emotion and behaviour, at least until they start going senile or something. What a strange perspective you just laid out in the context of acting!

Anyway, as far as Jim Carey is concerned, I wonder if his skills just don't suit slapstick comedy anymore. I think he has indeed developed as an actor, but that made him more suitable to more dramatic roles, and just isn't in the right mindset for his dumb and dumber character.... meaning he did indeed drop the ball here - he should have worked harder to find the character - but indon't think it has anything at all to do with his 'reaching his talent peak' 20 years ago. He just flubbed a role. The best of the best do that every once in a while (not that JC is the best of the best).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I think the rule rather than the exception is that people continue to improve as they gain wisdom and experience throughout their careers. "Peaking" at a younger age in a skilled career is not normal unless you're an athlete or do something else related to using parts of the body (so yes, musicians count.... but not because of losing song writing skills). I expect actors to continually improve as they gain experience and a richer understanding of the range human emotion and behaviour, at least until they start going senile or something. What a strange perspective you just laid out in the context of acting!

Anyway, as far as Jim Carey is concerned, I wonder if his skills just don't suit slapstick comedy anymore. I think he has indeed developed as an actor, but that made him more suitable to more dramatic roles, and just isn't in the right mindset for his dumb and dumber character.... meaning he did indeed drop the ball here - he should have worked harder to find the character - but indon't think it has anything at all to do with his 'reaching his talent peak' 20 years ago. He just flubbed a role. The best of the best do that every once in a while (not that JC is the best of the best).
    Yeah and it's also hard to evolve over twenty years and then try to time-travel back to reprise a role.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah and it's also hard to evolve over twenty years and then try to time-travel back to reprise a role.
    I haven't seen the new one but, I imagine all of the years he spent not doing his normal shtick had caught up with him. He tried doing alot of different and off the wall types of stuff and now it seems like he is a parody of himself. Maybe he just lost his mojo. He always was a bit of an overactor. I will catch this one on blu ray.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I wil wait for Netflix.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,847
    highest film this weekend at $38 million image

I didn't care for the first one at all and this one looked even dumber (pun intended)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611

your last paragraph sums it up perfectly. he's the main character of the movie, yet didn't seem much like the character from the first one. he was way more likeable in the first one. you laughed at him, but the way carey portrayed him, you also rooted for him and felt empathy for him. that's what was so great about it. in this one, i just felt like he was a mean spirited douche. jeff daniels managed to portray harry the same way he did back in the day.

and not that it's his fault.....but i think the more youthful jim carey just looked more funny than this older version.

Was it his acting? Or writing?