Options

Lottery: Does it need a home show priorty?

JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
So I got to thinking that I may not get to see the show in Moline despite having grown up in the Quad Cities (my Dad still lives there) due to the high ticket demand. Wondering if people thought the lottery needs to have some geographic preference metric. It seems depressing to have locals who have never experienced a show there to displaced by everyone in Chicago.

I currently live in KC so it wouldn't benefit me in any way, but I bet a lot of people are going to be bummed.

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

Comments

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,883
    No, because the next problem will be that they will define hometown as 100 miles and there will be endless people on here who live 101 miles away.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
    edited May 2014

No, because the next problem will be that they will define hometown as 100 miles and there will be endless people on here who live 101 miles away.

That made me chuckle....Ok let me change it to a population density/distance metric. If they have show in Wyoming, the circle will be much bigger than Boston.

Post edited by JB56195 on

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    That is a logistical nightmare that would be impossible to really pull off. No matter what they would have to draw somewhat arbitrary lines, you're talking about a huge amount of work for marginal benefit.

How would they determine where you live? I can go change my 10C address to anything I want right now. Billing address wouldn't really work because people don't always use their own cards.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,253
    I think most people would vote against it. Pearl Jam tours have become very small. It means there's a whole lot more places they don't play than they do play. For some people the closest show to them 500 (or more) miles away.

I don't really think it's fair for fans who are forced to travel to not be have access to 10c tickets.

10c probably wouldn't do it because they would lose out on a lot of subscription fees from people that live in places that PJ never tours.

The problem is that PJ doesn't do enough shows and people have to travel great distance to see them. Petition the band to play tours of reasonable size, not to prevent other 10c member from seeing the band :)
  • Options
    chaslilchaslil Westminster CO Posts: 306
    No need to draw boundaries, members would designate their hometown in their profile.

I share the OP's concern. After traveling a fair amount to see PJ, I might get shut oit in my hometown Denver. That's not right.
    Charles
    "The Who is my life. Pearl Jam is my retirement"
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    I disagree with the OP. I've been to every show I've wanted to go, about 14 without 10 Club help. Tickets are out there, just like any event.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    Plain and simple no. I live in New Jersey, where's my hometown show? Is it philly? Brooklyn? Manhattan ? None of the above? What about people from Delaware?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Absolutely not. They haven't played closer than 3.5 hours away from me in 8 years. They've only played once in what I'd consider my home town in their entire careers.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    It would be a decent idea ONLY if a venue has 2 scheduled shows and the hometown priority is done for 1 show.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    chaslil said:

After traveling a fair amount to see PJ, I might get shut oit in my hometown Denver. That's not right.

People not getting hometown 10C tickets has happened with every single method of 10C ticket sale methodology. Don't blame the lottery.
  • Options
    Edved007Edved007 Milwaukee, WI Posts: 1,021
    CopperTom said:

chaslil said:

After traveling a fair amount to see PJ, I might get shut oit in my hometown Denver. That's not right.

People not getting hometown 10C tickets has happened with every single method of 10C ticket sale methodology. Don't blame the lottery.
    This is only true in the last 15 years or so. Back in like 95 for example you just mailed a money order to them with your information, what show you wanted, and a SASE and a few weeks later you got the tickets in the mail. done deal. I understand it's not 1995 anymore, but those were the good ol' days. I think now with the power of the technogoy and the shrinking tours this is about the best way it can be done…. doesn't mean I like it because I don't, but there is no perfect system so trying to think one up is really a waste of time. I've lived in or around Milwaukee my entire 35 year life and there is a very real chance I won't get 10C tickets for it because there is no Chicago show this time around so they are all going to come to Milwaukee and Moline.
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    You guys are freaking out about something in October! October!!! Damn! =))
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,648
    chaslil said:

No need to draw boundaries, members would designate their hometown in their profile.

I share the OP's concern. After traveling a fair amount to see PJ, I might get shut oit in my hometown Denver. That's not right.

Explain to me how "That's not right". Use your logic.

Why does living in a particular city equate to being given preferential treatment for tickets?

This conversation seems to crop up everytime PJ tours and locals observe that the tickets in their city are in high demand...

The fact is that PJ has a large touring fanbase because they have been playing very few dates/year the last 8 years or so... people are going to travel to see them, it's the culture the band themselves has created by their touring patterns.

Putting in a clause like you state above makes no sense with the culture they've created. You want to piss off a lot of your own fanbase?

Further to this... people always find a loophole...

11+ years an counting without a show in the 4th largest city in the country, where I live... and you're telling me that now you deserve priority to a show in your town because I've got to spend my $ to get to your town, buy food, accommodations, etc, etc, and you're more entitled because you can sleep in your own bed?

pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    chaslil said:

And change it when there is a show they want to go to...

Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options

chaslil said:

And change it when there is a show they want to go to...

Then the hometown that is in your profile when shows are announced cannot be changed. Simple. Much like how you have to be a member the day before the tour is announced.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I live in a small town in the Midwest. The closest they ever play is 150 miles away (St. Louis or Nashville- not since 2003), of which both are in a different state than where I live. What would be my home town?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    no, that is what the #1 priority is for. scoring tickets can never be 100% guaranteed by the club no matter what system you use because of limitations on the number of tickets they receive.

having to choose a home town/city would still really only increase the chances of those in the non-traditional PJ cities of scoring tickets to their hometown shows. it wouldn't help the northeast cities at all because demand would still outweigh supply
  • Options

I live in a small town in the Midwest. The closest they ever play is 150 miles away (St. Louis or Nashville- not since 2003), of which both are in a different state than where I live. What would be my home town?

Obviously they'd need a way to designate it. Maybe they can use google maps to designate everyone's hometown based on closest big city on the tour itinerary.
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    BinFrog said:

Obviously they'd need a way to designate it. Maybe they can use google maps to designate everyone's hometown based on closest big city on the tour itinerary.
    That makes far too much sense, @BinFrog‌.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    The home town idea has absolutely no merit whatsoever. It would be wrong on so many levels that it would never be considered for more than just a few seconds. I actually can't believe there is still discussion on this.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 said:

The home town idea has absolutely no merit whatsoever. It would be wrong on so many levels that it would never be considered for more than just a few seconds. I actually can't believe there is still discussion on this.

Thankfully you have the ability, single-handedly, to derail and end any thread you want...so this should go well.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    BinFrog said:

It would be a decent idea ONLY if a venue has 2 scheduled shows and the hometown priority is done for 1 show.

This isn't a bad idea. I've been there though I know how much it hurts when you get shut out of tickets in your home town show. I'll ask you all to refrain from attacking me cuz I'm in a huge market, heartbreak feels the same regardless of your zip code.

However I'd have to agree that for general purposes, every single show, it would be a nightmare. Plus, it does give a leg up to the much loathed scalpers. And what would happen if you move? You need to submit proof of address to the 10c? No, the criteria alone for designating a hometown venue for every single member then maintaining that database.... nightmare.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,648
    ok.

I choose my hometown city as Toronto.

Glad we got that settled.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    BubbaBubba Posts: 630
    No, you aren't entitled to tickets, you are only entitled to the chance to get tickets...that's all.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited May 2014
    The Hometown Priority does have some Value to it though but hard for the 10C to Maintain.

Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:

Bubba said:

No, you aren't entitled to tickets, you are only entitled to the chance to get tickets...that's all.

Well that's Right...that's the way the Lottery works.

Exactly, and it's all the 10C has ever offered, a chance to buy tickets before the public sale...they never once guaranteed any member tickets to a show.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Think members forget this part of the 10C:

Although members are not guaranteed tickets, they are given the best chance at the best seats via a drawing, before the public on-sales.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,764
    Priority # 1 is naturally a person's most convenient pick. In effect, making it a home show priority. What defines a "home show" is entirely up to the individual.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Priority # 1 is naturally a person's most convenient pick. In effect, making it a home show priority. What defines a "home show" is entirely up to the individual.

Exactly

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    No. People shouldn't have priority at any show just because they happen to be lucky enough to live close enough to where PJ is playing. Doing this would ensure that a huge number of people would never get 10C tix just because of where they live. Actually becomes discrimination based on address.

Anyway, I don't see why you wouldn't get to see the Moline show. There are other ways to get tickets outside of the 10C lottery. There is literally no reason you can't get a ticket to the show one way or another.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata