Options

Pay It Forward: Mystery Box

Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
edited September 2015 in Lost Dogs
With all the negativity going on around over the mystery box (on Mothers Day weekend no less) it has really made me question why be a part of this club. Then I think about Hannah and all the good that was done to help her and her family. I think of Elwayvedder and Dead Man Walking who use time on this board to help raise money for an awesome cause. I think about PJ Soul who in my short time here seems to just be an amazing person.

I bought the box because I have been trained by 10c to just buy buy buy. Don't question it or it will sell out before you get yours. I don't need any of this stuff other than a t-shirt I will actually wear as I need some new shirts without holes in them. Yesterday I found out I need to move. I have 4 kids so we have a lot of stuff. Moving is my most hated thing in this world. So why did I add more junk to have to move? I don't know.

So to not have to move more stuff here is my pay it forward. This box is supposed to have all sorts of odds and ends. Is there an odds and end you want (I refuse to say need)? If so post what that odds and end is with a nice thing about your Mom (it is Mothers Day). If that odds and end is in my box it is yours. Everything but a t-shirt (I want a shirt) and the built to last water bottle (I promised it to Ryan already) is available out of my box. I will cover the shipping to everyone until I hit the $40 shipping budget I am setting. If I hit that mark I may ask you to just help cover the shipping. If you live in Siberia and shipping a small item will eat up the whole budget I may ask you to cover as well. When the box comes in if I have your item I will PM you for your address.

Please note I will only send to people who let me know a nice thing about your Mom. Take a minute and think about her. Here is mine about my Mom: She taught me to believe we are one in billions on this planet and to have common courtesy for everyone else. I am special of course (she was my Mom and has to say it) but in the grand scheme in l am not. My actions have consequences to everyone else. I love you Mom.
Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
Fuckus rules all
Rob
Seattle
Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    awesome post and I wish you the best with the move.
    No need for me to be awarded anything in your mystery box but I can't be here without my mama. She worked her tail off many years ago in a generation where women weren't supposed to go to a higher learning. She got 2 degrees and gave day in and day out both at home and teaching thousands of kids as a school teacher for 40 years. She along with my dad taught me to work hard and give back to others as you will feel better doing something for someone else.

I just got home from taking to her to brunch and following her around her yard with a shovel as she instructed me where to plant and dig. Don't tell her but I'd do this every day for her, not just today ;)
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Glad you are part of the club - thanks for your positivity! I don't want anything from the the box. My mom is special because she taught me to put out positivity into the universe and you will get it back - karma, but she didn't use those words! Love you, Mom!
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Awesome gesture. Mom's are awesome. Mine taught me to be wise with money, something many people seem to struggle with. It was nice being debt free until my mortgage came along.

If you score the Hartford bootleg or any 18x24 posters you don't want I'll gladly take them off your hands and pay it forward
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    count me out i dont have a mum lol
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    really nice thing your doing btw
  • Options
    cojobocojobo Ontario Posts: 299
    My mom taught me the virtue of patience - my family can be quite hot-headed and often get into heated "discussions" And we're quick to get their back up. it was nice to have that calm, understanding person to look up to and emulate how to deal with a situation with a level head.

If u land a pair of PJ socks in your box I'd definately put them to good use :)

Good on you and good luck wih your move! :)
    Halifax '05, Toronto '09, Toronto 2 '11, Hamilton '11, London '13, Chicago '13. Buffalo '13 , Leeds '14, Detroit '14, New York (GCF) '15, Ottawa '16, Toronto 1 '16, Toronto 2 '16
  • Options
    JB23237JB23237 Posts: 1,373
    What a generous gesture.
    Both of my parents taught me everything I know. My mother especially taught me how to be respectful and courteous to everyone I meet. She also taught me the importance of family.....Pretty sure this and other life lessons helped me land the lady of my dreams...thanks mom
    If you happen to recieve a 7" you don't need I'd love to add it to my growing collection
    Alpine Valley East Troy WI 1998...United Center Chicago IL1998...All State Arena Rosemont IL 2000 (anybody have a spare poster)
    United Center Chicago IL 2003...Alpine Valley East Troy WI 2003...Toledo OH 2004...Marcus Amphitheater Milwaukee WI 2006
    United Center Chicago IL Nite 1 2008...United Center Chicago IL Nite 2 2008...United Center Chicago IL Nite 1 2009
    PJ20 East Troy WI Nite 1 2011...PJ20 East Troy WI Nite 2 2011...Wrigley Field Chicago IL 2013...iWireless Center Moline IL 2014
    Bradley Center Milwaukee WI 2014...EV Auditorium Theatre Chicago IL Nite 1 2008...EV Chicago Theatre Chicago IL Nite 1 2011
    EV w/ PT celebrating the Who Rosemont Theatre Rosemont IL 2015
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,000
    edited May 2014
    Unlike my little rant on another thread I don't want anything from the box. It was all about opp to get one and the thing in your post that stuck with me most was the training to buy buy buy.... Think rationally later. I totally agree.

Great deed here. Well done
  • Options
    jweyersjweyers Lincoln,NE Posts: 364
    My Mom taught me a strong work ethic. When you do something you do it right, and to the best of your ability the first time.
    If you come across some Wrigley cards, keep me in mind please and thank you.
  • Options
    landolando Posts: 661
    Very generous and thoughtful. My mom is the best of the best. She took me to the mall for both midnight cd releases of vs. and vitalogy when I was 12. I had to go to treatment for drugs and alcohol in 2006 and when I got home she was there for me, like she always is and had a copy of avocado on my bed. I got sober on Mother's Day and I haven't touched a drink or drugs since and it's only because of my moms unconditional love, support and guidance.
    Edmonton 93, Vancouver 05, Vancouver 09, Edmonton 11, Vancouver 11
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    my really specific wishlist: olympic platinum 45, last soldier 45, sao paulo 11 poster, ev wallet, any neocon poster except the letter c (i'm trying to spell noone), easy street cd. thanks!

my mom's the most selfless person i know. she took an 80% pay cut to work for a charity.
  • Options
    dfishbergdfishberg Posts: 403
    Great gesture! Now that I am a parent and doing the same thing for my kids, I am thankful tha t my mom would take the time to schlep me to all of my events, sacrificing weekends and week nights for sports tournaments.

If you get anything related to the Brooklyn shows I would love them since I missed out.

The positivity on these boards far outweighs the negativity!
  • Options
    EJE201EJE201 Mason, MI Posts: 319
    edited May 2014
    Awesome idea. If you get any socks count me in. My mom is 5' tall but a giant to me. She always has a smile no matter how hard things get. She raised me to care for others before yourself. She cares for my dad with MS with a smile even when it gets hard, she teaches my children valuable lessons like patience, love and caring. She continues to teach me things and she ends every night with a glass of wine.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree,
    It's growing up just like me
  • Options
    lowlighterlowlighter Posts: 315
    This is great. Thanks!
    My mom knew how much I wanted to go see Pearl Jam so she surprised me with tickets to my first PJ show at Summerfest in 95. It was also her first concert EVER, besides the orchestra at local theater. We lived in Iowa so we packed up that morning drove 5 hours to Milwaukee with my Dad and Grandparent's and made a family trip out of the whole ordeal. She was amazed as I much as I was seeing them live. I was 16 at the time and 20 years later I still remember every bit of that trip.
    Milwaukee -- 07-08-1995 -- Salt Lake City - 1996 (Brad)-- Kansas City 07-03-1998-- Maryland Heights 07-02-1998-- Minneapolis 06-30-1998-- Alpine Valley 1999 - Tibet Freedom Concert (Eddie Solo)-- Kansas City 10-12-2000-- East Troy 10-08-2000-- Chicago 06-18-2003-- Council Bluffs 06-13-2003-- Bonner Springs 06-12-2003-- St. Paul 06-26-2006-- Milwaukee 06-30-2006-- Chicago 08-24-2009-- Kansas City 05-03-2010-- East Troy 09-03-2011-- East Troy 09-04-2011-- Chicago 07-19-2013-- Lincoln 10-9-2014 -- Moline 10-17-2014 -- Chicago 08-20-2016 -- Chicago 08-22-2016
  • Options
    ToledoJuttToledoJutt Toledo Ohio Posts: 61
    Great gesture don't want anything was lucky enough to get one. My mom is the best because she was a mom and a dad never missed a hockey or baseball or football always been behind me no matter what and she also got me pj tickets for my first show in 96 still can't put into words how much I love u mom :x
    what the
  • Options
    OilersRmylifeOilersRmylife Posts: 249
    My mom pushed Humpty off the wall......she tried to put him back together again....but nope, wasn't gonna happen.
    I still love her a bunch none the less...
  • Options
    OilersRmylifeOilersRmylife Posts: 249
    Happy Mothers day to all the moms out there!!!
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Didn't see my mom for 20 years..she disappeared one day and it was the best thing she ever did..she was a violent alcoholic...next time i saw her she was in a coffin.

There's my x factor sob story :)
    i do miss her though..
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    My mom taught me the value of empathy. She is amazing that way. If she is in a crowded room and someone there is feeling sad, she'll feel it. It is a burden sometimes for her, but it is also a gift because she is such a loving person and she can use it to help people.

I notice that no one has asked for a hoodie. I don't know if they would include such a thing, but if they do, I would love one.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited May 2014
    My mom taught me how to be a compulsive buyer/shopper. She liked to watch QVC and buy stuff from television. I think she enjoyed the rush when she bought something, and the anticipation of a package arriving to her doorstep. Sound familiar?
    Post edited by buck502000 on
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    edited May 2014
    My Mum is the most tenacious, hardest working person I know. She was born to a single teenage Mum and worked full time from the age of 14. She became a single Mum herself when I was 9 and raised me to the best of her ability, and with considerably more love and care than she had known as a child. She has always done her very best for me and others :x
    If you have a spare sticker in that mystery box - I would love it! I have only recently started collecting and I just put them on magnetic backing for my fridge and filing cabinet so any sticker is appreciated. Thanks!
    Post edited by moretonbayfig on
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,429
    I don't really have anything I am searching for, maybe a Portland Emek poster would be it.

Just wanted to share something about my Mom, my brother in law is on here, doesn't post much, but if he reads this I think he will remember his reaction to her when he first met her.

She is many things, but it surprises many how tough she is, cause she doesn't appear like she would be. She is a no nonesense type of person, and she had this piece of advice that she used on me when I was a teenager/young man.

She used to always say, "take a bite out of the ass of life". Great advice to make things happen, cause they won't just happen for you.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    My Mother really taught me the value of hard work and the value of a dollar. She instilled in me a sense of pride for my work. I love you mom.
    If you get a guitar pick in your box, I'd love it. I'll also make sure to spring for shipping and pay it forward.
    Later, Chris.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346
    Thanks!!

My mom is from Poland and Im American so I was taught a lot about dealing with other people. Just being nice to people and not to judge.
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    This is a cool idea.

I lost my real mother when I was just a baby, and grew up with a step-mother. Needless to say things were difficult in my teenage years and even still today.

I lost my father a year ago , and with that came a higher appreciation for the things my step-mother did that I may have taken for granted in past years.

Great thing your doing cdy....Im down with patches and/or hats...
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I hope everyone had a happy Mothers Day. And thank you for your kind words. To make this easier on me I will occasionally sum up the list of odds and ends so when the box comes in I don't have too many posts to go over.

Ryan: BTL Water Bottle
    Weekapaug19: Hartford Boot or 18 x 24 Posters
    cojobo: PJ Socks
    JB23237: 7" vinyl
    Jweyers: Wrigley Cards
    spnoone: Vinyl (olympic platinum, last soldier 45s), Sao Paulo 11 Poster, EV Wallet, neocon poster (except C), Easy St CD
    dfishberg: anything Brooklyn Shows
    EJE201: PJ Socks
    aurynsdad: Hoodie
    moretonbayfig: Stickers
    scurtis: Portland 13 Poster
    P34RL J4MM3R: Pick
    Dr.Delight: Patches Hats

If I missed you it was unintentional. Let me know and I will add you in.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    lowlighterlowlighter Posts: 315
    Oops forgot that part :)

Would be interested in the 2011 Ottawa poster. Like the basketball theme.
    Thanks!
    Milwaukee -- 07-08-1995 -- Salt Lake City - 1996 (Brad)-- Kansas City 07-03-1998-- Maryland Heights 07-02-1998-- Minneapolis 06-30-1998-- Alpine Valley 1999 - Tibet Freedom Concert (Eddie Solo)-- Kansas City 10-12-2000-- East Troy 10-08-2000-- Chicago 06-18-2003-- Council Bluffs 06-13-2003-- Bonner Springs 06-12-2003-- St. Paul 06-26-2006-- Milwaukee 06-30-2006-- Chicago 08-24-2009-- Kansas City 05-03-2010-- East Troy 09-03-2011-- East Troy 09-04-2011-- Chicago 07-19-2013-- Lincoln 10-9-2014 -- Moline 10-17-2014 -- Chicago 08-20-2016 -- Chicago 08-22-2016
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited May 2014
    Very nice thing to do! :)
    If there is a black EV Aussie wave zippo in your box, I would love to have that. :D;)

Just kidding - we all know those don't actually exist, lol.

But I will still say that my mom is the fucking best. Such a deep, thoughtful, passionate person who loves to think and examine everything in world. Never a dull moment with her - the conversation is always completely fascinating. And so incredibly generous and hard working too. She understand me better than anyone else in the world, which I appreciate so so much. And maybe most impressively, she is completely supportive and non-judgmental of my decisions and everything I do and how i live my life - she sincerely only cares about whether or not I am happy. And if for some reason I wasn't, she'd do anything to support me while I sought my happiness. I spent a nice day with her yesterday walking in the woods and cooking her dinner and drinking wine. :x
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bethwalker1987bethwalker1987 Washington Posts: 122
    edited May 2014
    Socks would be cool!
    Post edited by bethwalker1987 on
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    Positivity brings me back to this thread. Paying it forward is the best "fad" I've noticed in recent times. One I'm actually excited about and jumping on. It's good!
    My mom taught me calmness, patience, understanding, good home cooking and most important of all, "If you don't have anything nice to say... don't say anything at all."

I'm spewing love today. I love you all. the Jamily is a place I enjoy spending time with regularly, even if it's a digital relationship.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!