What advice would you give to the 12 year old you??

we were talking about this earlier today at work and some of the things people said were pretty interesting. i thought i would expand the conversation here.

so, if you could do so, knowing what you know about life now, what advice, if any, would you give to the 12 year old you??

i'm 38 now, and have been through a lot in this crazy life of mine, so there is a lot i could say to the 12 y/o gimme. here are a few things i would say.

- don't be what everybody else wants you to be just because you feel like you have to. be you.
- study harder in undergrad than in grad school.
- choose your friends wisely.
- don't care so much about what other people think about you.
- don't be shy. if you like a girl, ask her out. the worst she can say is no.
- if you are unhappy in a relationship, you don't have to stay in a bad situation.
- you really need to follow your dreams. if you want to play guitar and tour, learn now. don't wait until college because it will be too late.
- if you want to do something, don't halfass it.
- put down the video game controller and go outside.
- try to stay in shape. it is much more fun to gain weight than to try to lose it.
- don't be afraid to go to your family if you need help.
- don't be a fool with your money.
- believe in yourself at all times. don't talk down on yourself and don't compromise who your are or what you believe in for anybody no matter what..

now you all go :)

"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

Comments

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited May 2014
    I thought this would be easy but it wasn't..
    - Try to have fun every day..
    - Learn to play the piano, don't quit only because your friend might do..
    - Don't be too afraid of boys, some of them can actually be nice..
    - Think about if you really want to work with health care when growing up, could something else be more interesting?..
    - You don't need alcohol to have fun plus it can get you in to trouble..
    - Be kind against yourself and others..
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    I love this idea. I agree with a lot of what Gimme posted, but I have a few to add. Okay...

Dear 12 year old Susan,

Please trust in yourself. You are a capable person, and I don't want you to wait until you are in your 40s to realize this.

Don't let other people make you feel as if you are not enough. They don't get you, and that's on them. Conversely, if you don't get some people, don't be condescending to them.

It's okay to change your mind (I'm specifically thinking about your major in college, one of your roommates, and some crappy jobs you stayed in because you thought you had to). You know what is best for you, so don't be afraid to change something if it is not working for you.

Know your limits when it comes to money and alcohol. I'm trying to save you years of digging out of debt, here. Also, mixing drinks never ends well for you, no matter how many times you try, so just stop.

Just because you are bored is no reason to watch that rerun of "Gilligan's Island" that you have already seen 5 times (spoiler alert: they don't get off the island). Read a book or go outside. Do something else.

As the saying goes: the days are long, but the years are short. Don't be so serious all the time--it's not all life and death (that stuff comes later on). Laugh more. A lot more.

Just be yourself. Follow your passions, your dreams, your interests. Other people's interests are just that: other people's. Don't get caught up in their stuff.

Maintain healthy boundaries.

It's okay to say you don't understand something. Most people are usually good about explaining when they realize you don't understand.

You are already pretty good about this, but I just want to remind you to say "Please" and "Thank You."

ELITIST FUK
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,491
    SD48277 said:

I love this idea. I agree with a lot of what Gimme posted, but I have a few to add. Okay...

Dear 12 year old Susan,

Please trust in yourself. You are a capable person, and I don't want you to wait until you are in your 40s to realize this.

Don't let other people make you feel as if you are not enough. They don't get you, and that's on them. Conversely, if you don't get some people, don't be condescending to them.

It's okay to change your mind (I'm specifically thinking about your major in college, one of your roommates, and some crappy jobs you stayed in because you thought you had to). You know what is best for you, so don't be afraid to change something if it is not working for you.

Know your limits when it comes to money and alcohol. I'm trying to save you years of digging out of debt, here. Also, mixing drinks never ends well for you, no matter how many times you try, so just stop.

Just because you are bored is no reason to watch that rerun of "Gilligan's Island" that you have already seen 5 times (spoiler alert: they don't get off the island). Read a book or go outside. Do something else.

As the saying goes: the days are long, but the years are short. Don't be so serious all the time--it's not all life and death (that stuff comes later on). Laugh more. A lot more.

Just be yourself. Follow your passions, your dreams, your interests. Other people's interests are just that: other people's. Don't get caught up in their stuff.

It's okay to say you don't understand something. Most people are usually good about explaining when they realize you don't understand.

You are already pretty good about this, but I just want to remind you to say "Please" and "Thank You."

susan???? wow--all this time i thought you were a dude!

www.myspace.com
    save your money
    www.myspace.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Put away the Star Wars action figures, original trilogy time period, and replace them with girls.

Don't be afraid to fail.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    continue to do hundreds of sit ups & push ups daily. continue to jog several miles a day. continue to kill it. always crush abusive idiots. do not drink or snort drugs. you can do anything. you shoulda told that teacher she was smokin
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243

SD48277 said:

Dear 12 year old Susan,

susan???? wow--all this time i thought you were a dude!

:-h It's true...I'm a girl.
    ELITIST FUK
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Good thread, gimme.

This is one of those topics that will continue to spur thought and reflection.

For now, I'd say don't be afraid to try and fail - learning from your mistakes is part of success.

And, know that your first and foremost obligation is to yourself - as in, respect yourself, and be the change you want to see.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Don't get any credit cards when you get to college.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    hedonist said:

Good thread, gimme.

For now, I'd say don't be afraid to try and fail - learning from your mistakes is part of success.

And, know that your first and foremost obligation is to yourself - as in, respect yourself, and be the change you want to see.

i am sorry you missed out on failure. it sure was a hoot
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

hedonist said:

Good thread, gimme.

i am sorry you missed out on failure. it sure was a hoot
    You lost me, man - my point was that it's OK - even necessary - to TRY and fail. I have misjudged myself and others and situations many a time. And I've gleaned a bit of knowledge from those failures.

(and known the beauty of the hoot)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    If the van is a rock'n, don't come a knock'n
    Don't let yourself get sucked into politics. You will find yourself constantly disappointed and frustrated.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    easy on the fapping, champ
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    tell your parents you love them. they will be gone before you realize it.

be yourself. believe it or not most people when you are younger are just as insecure as you are.

give people a chance. don't dismiss someone because of what you think they are like or how they might look or dress. some will really surprise you.

don't be afraid to give compliments to people. you will come to realize how much people appreciate even little sentiments

don't hide your mistakes and fuck ups or lie about them. own up to them right away. it will be easier for everyone involved.

be careful with words. they can hurt someone deeper than you think

speak with confidence

try (or take classes) in things out of your normal realm (guitar, surfing, cooking, dancing, etc.)

pjhawks, your first one made me smile. True and valuable.

Something else that came to mind - know the difference between settling and compromising (and go for the latter).
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    go tell
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    I'd just smile at my 12 yr old self. If I ask him to change anything, surely I'd not be exactly who I am today.

I'm sure 12 yr old me would smile right back.

(of course 12 year old me may ask adult me to change a few things in my life now)

After a day of really thinking about what I would sincerely say, this is it:

"Dear Jason P,

On the night that I go back in time at 1:30 AM, you will be shot by terrorists.

PLEASE take whatever precautions are neccessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

Your friend,

Jason P"

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    edited May 2014
    I've gotta just be logical and say that I'd tell myself when to buy and then sell particular stocks. :P

If I'm not being logical I'd tell myself to avoid my ex hubby like the plague, lol, and also make sure that I start going to Pearl Jam concerts in 1991 instead of letting life get in the way and not go my first for years and years and years. :D And of course I'd tell myself to make sure that dress I wore in Fiddler on the Roof was secured a lot better before the wedding dance. :\">
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,078
    "tell your parents you love them. they will be gone before you realize it."

this is a good one.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,187
    Don't be friends with the popular kids be friends with the smart kids ....

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    There's lots of advice I could give the younger me but I suspect I would have told myself to shut the fuck up bc I already know it all.

For sure I would have tried hard to convince myself that the attention of boys is not what will give way to higher self worth.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,078
    "don't get stagefright or anxiety. it's just music, and most of the people out there can't play an instrument, so don't worry about them."

• SarahMcNadiaSarahMcNadia Posts: 195
    pjhawks said:

tell your parents you love them. they will be gone before you realize it.

I'm late to this thread but I would add to this excellent pjhawks sentiment to soak up all the advice/knowledge you can before they're gone. I can't count how many times I've had split-second thoughts, wondering what my Dad thinks about some random thing only to remind myself that I can't ask him anymore. Hindsight is 20/20 though, right?
    An empty cup in the middle of the sea..
    Buffalo 12-Oct-2013 * Cincinnati 01-Oct-2014 * St. Louis 03-Oct-2014
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    edited June 2014
    I would tell 12 year old Mandy...
    ~Don't be so shy.
    ~Start going to PJ concerts as early as possible!!! Instead of waiting years and years, just like someone else said...
    ~Learn to surf...you always wanted to, so do it.
    ~I'd like to say don't date that one guy in college, You'll know the one, but then again, it probably helped make you who you are today...so maybe just don't take his shit for so long!
    ~Don't get so discouraged by so many frogs...your prince is out there!
    Post edited by PJSiren on
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    DONT START CHEWING NEXT YEAR!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Do something about your ADD and depression.....it'll really affect your life later down the road once you are diagnosed!
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Jon, if you're actually listening to the future, 40 year old version of yourself, you've started drugs too early buddy. :D

just kidding, this is great actually. I think about this all the time. But I kind like how I figured things out as a bumbling idiot. It would definitely revolve around taking more chances and focusing more on the future.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    a walk's as a good as a hit.
    www.myspace.com