Options

Major Mansfield Tailgaiting issues

Comments

• Options
    pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189
    J-P wrote:
    The venue doesn't profit from fans drinking outside in their lots when they could make us buy $9 drinks inside. After awhile, most ampitheaters will probably start cracking down and hope to make more money inside the venue. It's a shame for fans who love that experience but it seems to be the path for the future.

I heard Tom Petty created a lot of problems for the venue and tailgating. Plus DMB played 2 shows last week which might have also had a lot of drinking issues.

Live Nation, which owns the Tweeter Center, also owns the PNC Bank Arts Center in New Jersey which had a variety of tailgating issues last summer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNC%20Bank%20Arts%20Center

Maybe Live Nation is just taking steps to stop the problems by cracking down. I guess they've already banned tailgating for shows with younger audiences (Fall Out Boy, etc)

I'm not sure its a Live Nation issue, the Mansfield police basically implied that it was a Mansfield Town issue. I could be wrong but last night they were being real hard asses for a few hours and then i didnt see a cop for the last 3 hours. But earlier there were undercover cops, venue security and police all making the rounds, and contrary to what the earlier poster believes, they WERE taking peoples tickets, they WERE arresting people, and they WERE takin peoples beers away. With that said, just be smart about it. Dont mouth off to the cops and dont flaunt it and you will be fine.

And jeez, im sick of some people being "glad" that you cant drink before a show. Is it so wrong that i have a few beers on a beautiful Saturday afternoon while cooking out and hanging with friends before seeing my favorite band? I think not. Maybe next time i will come alone, with no beers and no fun so i can "focus" on the huge task at hand of watching a concert. Give me a break. There is a reason why they sell beer at shows, because there is a demand for it. I had at least a dozen beers in the parking lot and miraculously wasnt obnoxious, nor did i leave my row for either a beer or a bathroom break. However, the kid and his gf next to me who groped each other all night wasnt that cool.
  • Options
    I saw a post on another message board that said the new rules are to encourage people to buy beer inside the venue. Apparently the place is under new management (same owners still) and they are looking to increase revenue.

FWIW, the guy who posted it had heard it from a friend that works at Great Woods.

This doesn't make much sense to me as it would seem a drunk guy would be more willing to spend $9 on beer than a sober one .
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • Options
    i hope PJ doesn't play here again any time soon.the garden is much better in light of Mansfield PD's Gestapo bullshit.

Fuck the Police!!!!!!!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Just more proof that the best Pearl Jam tailgates in the country are in philly/camden

without a doubt
  • Options
    JammerJammer Posts: 85
    They are bad there. I usually bring extra cups because people always go there not knowing they are tough. I just copied this from the venues policy page;

"Any patron who passes alcohol to another patron who is unable to provide an acceptable form of identification as listed above may be subject to eviction.
    We will not serve more than two alcoholic beverages to a patron at one time and we reserve the right to limit service to one drink per patron.
    Our alcohol service will end at least one hour prior to the scheduled end of an event. We reserve the right to limit service to one drink per patron.
    We will not serve any patron whom we believe to be intoxicated.
    Alcoholic beverages may not be taken into or removed from these premises. Any patron in the possession of alcoholic beverages not obtained on the premises will be subject to eviction."

There used to be a sign indicating NO alcohol at the front of the parking lot, but I go there so often I don't look for it.
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    Guess I'm in the minority. Never got the tailgating before a concert thing. I just show, rock till i'm exhausted.
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    over_bends wrote:
    That makes no sense. Do you even realize how the constitution works? That parking lot is a private institution. They could do whatever they want concerning alcohol consumption. And obviously, they don't want you doing it there.

So by your logic, when I go to the grocery store (which is a private institution) any employee of the grocery store can search my wallet (or a female's purse)? Just because it is a private institution doesn't make them immune to illegal search and seizure laws.

Do I need to show you that in the constitution?

What's next, strip searching? Honestly, because of people like you looking the other way, our country is slowly losing our freedoms. This is a bigger issue than drinking a few beers in a parking lot before a concert. The fact that you need someone to cite an article from the constitution for you to see the big picture is truly sickening.

Peace.
  • Options
    So by your logic, when I go to the grocery store (which is a private institution) any employee of the grocery store can search my wallet (or a female's purse)? Just because it is a private institution doesn't make them immune to illegal search and seizure laws.

What's next, strip searching? Honestly, because of people like you looking the other way, our country is slowly losing our freedoms. This is a bigger issue than drinking a few beers in a parking lot before a concert. The fact that you need someone to cite an article from the constitution for you to see the big picture is truly sickening.

Peace.

thank you for making me not feel like I'm the only one who cares about this shit!!
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Not everybody got harrassed. We played it fairly low-key, used Solo cups, kept the cooler in the car, and put the beers down when the cops rolled by. It turned out to be no big deal. But we did see some people get busted.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    rival420rival420 Massachusetts Posts: 58
    It's probably a combo of Live Nation and the town of Mansfield that are involved in this crack down. Keep in mind that during these events the Mansfield police are most likely getting paid by both the PD and the Comcast Center..

For one it's a liability for Live Nation to serve already intoxicated patrons, so all those that are already drunk won't be able to be served those great $8 beers. So by cracking down on outside drinking, it bring more revenue into the venue!

As for the PD, it's their job to uphold the law. And in Massachusetts there is an open container law on the books.. But then some of them really enjoy being dicks!

I agree those drunk "frat boy" asses do suck, I mean they get so fuckin drunk they can barely remember the show after the fact! But I do enjoy having a few beers before going to a concert..
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568

Peace.

Great analogy.

There is nothing illegal about police busting of open alcohol containers in a zone that prohibits it. Did they force open every trunk to see if there was a beer keg? If they did, I am sorry. That is wrong and I'll get on their case for doing so. But otherwise, your analogy of employees (not police officers) forcing your wallet out of your pocket for no reason is absurd. It shows a lack of understanding of law aswell on a lot of levels if you think the two situations are the same.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424

They have the right to not sell alcohol to you. And they also have a right, as the owners of the parking lot, to ban alcohol consumption in the parking lot.

You see, when you buy tickets, you're in a sense signing a contract. They'll provide you with the entertainment guaranteed by the ticket, and in exchange you comply with anything they require of their patrons, as long as it isn't seriously infringing on your rights (drinking in the parking lot NOT being one of them). If you don't comply with their rules (and, thereby, breaking your side of the contract), they have every right to take the tickets back. Tickets are recognized by law as mini contracts. Read the small print on the back.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,444

Actually... yes they can. Its not uncommon for big department stores to have signs posted that bags and packages are subject to search (to deter shoplifting).

And yes.. they are immune for the most part from search and seizure laws. Since it private property they can establish just about any rules they want. If you want to patronize their business you have to follow the rules. The alternative is to shop somewhere else.

The 4th amendment only prohibits the government from unlawful/unreasonable searches and seizures... not private citizens.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    On2Legs wrote:
    The 4th amendment only prohibits the government from unlawful/unreasonable searches and seizures... not private citizens.

Exactly!!

Unlawful seizure by private citizens is called theft. ;)
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    It does suck, but by the same token, living in massachusetts all my life, there are a bunch of fucking toolbag frat boys that go to some of these shows. if people didn't act like savages, there would be no basis for them to be laying down the law. from past experiences, people are stupid at this venue. i really can't blame em too much.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    LostdoggieLostdoggie Posts: 257
    I'm not going to join in all the legal talk, but it did suck worrying about whether or not the cops were going to make me dump my beers. The vast majority of the people tailgating are civil and cause no problems but unfortunately there are some d-bags out there that ruin it for everybody.

I wonder what happened at the Tom Petty concert...
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • Options
    VacantVacant Posts: 50
    As I understand it, it was entirely a Mansfield issue. This new crackdown also happened to coincide with the name change of the venue, concerning employees that Comcast would get the crap for it. I was talking to the public relations rep for Live Nation (I was a photographer at the event) and she explained that it was the town's stricter rules that increased the police insanity, not theirs.

There were a damn load of cops in the lot, though, that's for sure. As soon as I parked the police were inspecting all the cars and were scolding people for all sorts of random stuff. I saw a few arrests, where they dragged the offender behind that large fence! I'm not sure when they released them all, but when I was leaving around 9:30 I spotted one person being let out.
    --Evenflow Psycho #0019--

Back after a 3 year personal hiatus!
  • Options
    jarothjaroth Forest Hills, NY Posts: 32
    Was one of the last cars into the $40 lot last night. Some people said there were some fights and a rape a couple of weeks ago, so they were cracking down. Saw some cops walking around to other cars, but we were careful (only two of us). Kept our cooler in the trunk and had our solo cups. When we saw the cops walking around, we just put the beers and cups down in the trunk and closed up shop. We just continued to grill and didn't get bothered. But definitely keep it low key on Monday.
    8/24/00 - Jones Beach
    9/4/00 - Merriweather Post
    4/28/03 - Spectrum
    6/24/08, 6/25/08 - MSG
    6/29/08 - Tweeter Center
    5/15/10 - XL Center
    5/18/10 - Prudential Center
    5/20/10, 5/21/10 - MSG
    9/2/12 - Made in America
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field
    10/18/13, 10/19/13 - Barclays Center
    9/26/15 - Global Citizen
    5/1/16, 5/2/16 - MSG
    8/5/16, 8/7/16 - Fenway Park
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:
    Great analogy.

There is nothing illegal about police busting of open alcohol containers in a zone that prohibits it. Did they force open every trunk to see if there was a beer keg? If they did, I am sorry. That is wrong and I'll get on their case for doing so. But otherwise, your analogy of employees (not police officers) forcing your wallet out of your pocket for no reason is absurd. It shows a lack of understanding of law aswell on a lot of levels if you think the two situations are the same.

Yes, they actually did open trunks and coolers of people who had no open containers (such as myself). That is my entire point. It isn't legal.

Thank you for your apology
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
    This was the worst tailgaiting experience of my life. I felt I was in Red China. Honestly security/Police literally would setup camp around us and just stare at us (the entire parking section of where I was).

The worst part about it, was that everyone was supercool and of age and just having a good time, nobody was out to get hammered/high, whatever.

Can anyone tell me if this was the same or different in the Pre-paid lot at the venue? If it isn't, I will certainly be parking there tomorrow. Otherwise, I will wait and park in one of the lots outside the venue.

Absolutely ridiculous...

Sorry to hear all your experiences sucked... consider an alternative to tailgating on Monday and come down to Picadilly Pub where we are having the fundraiser for the CCFA. Fairfield Taxi is providing cab/shuttle service and we have some sweet items for raffle/donation/auction :) inlcuding Flight to Mars t-shirts and one of the setlists from the Mansfield 1 night's show :)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    crowpoint01crowpoint01 Posts: 209
    Pearl Jam should never play there again after tomorrow night. Not sure what the capacity of the Copcast Center is but I think it may be similar to the Pavillion on the waterfront. I vote new venue.
    Did You see ONE SINGLE cop after the show? Where were they , at D&D having iced coffee while people spent two hours idling in their cars wasting gas and polluting the environment. They should of been there at the end to help people get out of that cluster fu*k! I have been going to this venue for 20 years and it always sucks to get out.
    4/11/94 Boston Garden 9/26/96 Augusta Maine
    8/20/98 Montreal 9/15 & 9/16/98 Great Woods 11/6/98 Karma Club 8/29 & 8/30/00 Tweeter Center
    6/6/03 Vegas 7/2 & 7/11/03 Tweeter Center
    9/28/04 Fleet Center 5/24 & 5/25/06 Boston Garden
    6/28 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
    8/1 & 8/2/08 EV Opera House
    5/17/10 Boston
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    Just more proof that the best Pearl Jam tailgates in the country are in philly/camden

without a doubt

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Took tickets?????? Uhhh, how is this legal? Are you sure about this?????

Guy right across from me had all his booze and his ticket taken.
    I witnessed it myself.
    Having tasted, a life wasted....

....I'll probably only go back a couple more times.
  • Options
    LostdoggieLostdoggie Posts: 257
    Guy right across from me had all his booze and his ticket taken.
    I witnessed it myself.

Did he do anything to provoke the cops? I got there at like 6:30 last night and I didn't have any problems. Now I'm nervouse about tomorrow.
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • Options
    Lostdoggie wrote:
    Did he do anything to provoke the cops? I got there at like 6:30 last night and I didn't have any problems. Now I'm nervouse about tomorrow.

By 6:30 they weren't really bothering people. They had the same number of cops/security patrolling the lots at 6:30 as they did 2:30.

Granted, some people were stupid, drunk, etc. and got themselves into their own mess.

I personally witnessed lots of cool, low-key folks just being harrassed for no reason. The guy next to me was told to toss his cup out, the cop didn't even look or ask what was in the cup (it wasn't even alcohol).

I think lots of people are ASSUMING that everyone who was harrassed was doing something wrong, when, in fact, they were not.

Just be careful tomorrow or don't drink at all. Be sure to wear your seatbelt when arriving to the venue, because they may claim that not wearing it is a reason for ticket revocation as well. After all, that is breaking the law as well...
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    I was there I didnt know this was the "Copcast Center" I've lived in Boston all my life you can read more about my review in the "Masfield 1 live Reviews"..... what is this f**kin Russia?
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    Lostdoggie wrote:

Yah actually, he was trying to be cute and it backfired:

Cops came rolling down our aisle
    Stopped and harassed 3 guys playing cribbage on a card table
    They ended up leaving the lot.
    This guy was like 3 cars from them.
    As cops are going by, he just has to say something and says "Look, see...just drinking cranberry juice officer", so the cops stop and one actually smells his drink which is obviously vodka/cranberry and he is told that he now has 2 options:

Go to jail.
    Give me you booze and tickets and don't go to jail.

We were right across from him as a 3 car group grilling and cooking. We just all put our cups down as they approached and just stood there in silence and had no problems. You just don't want to draw ANY attention to yourself. Like none...

Also, after 6 or so most of the police presence is gone, but from 3-6...watch the fuck out!
    Having tasted, a life wasted....

....I'll probably only go back a couple more times.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    never been there but this venue sucks
  • Options
    GangstacroGangstacro Posts: 104
    There was definately a bigger police presence than any show at Great Woods I have ever been to. However, if you played it smart, you could easily have a great time and get buzzed up for the concert.

Instructions for drinking at Mansfield:

1) Don't hang with a big crowd of people. The main people they were going after last night were the groups of people with the big grills, tents, etc. Try and keep your group to 4 people or so.

2) Keep the coolers in your trunk and drink from a solo cup. As soon as you see a cop or a golf cart, either place your solo cup in your trunk, under the car, or poor it out. My plan next time I go is to make a bunch of gin & tonics in Poland Spring bottles.

3) If a cop comes up to you and asks to see your cup, tell him yes it is alcohol and immediately poor it out. Ensure him it won't happen again. If you don't do this, you may lose your ticket, which is the worst possible outcome.

4) Do not use any type of attitude with these cops. As cool as you think you are and as much as you think you are right, you are not and you are not supposed to be drinking in that lot, no matter what your age.

My wife and I played it cool and I was able to finish a 12 pack from 4-7:30 last night without any trouble from the cops. I had a great time, and just kept reminding myself that no matter what, to be nice to the cops and do what they say.

This is always the best way to go.
  • Options
    Gangstacro wrote:
    3) If a cop comes up to you and asks to see your cup, tell him yes it is alcohol and immediately poor it out. Ensure him it won't happen again. If you don't do this, you may lose your ticket, which is the worst possible outcome.

I wonder what happens if you haven't picked up your 10c tix yet? Do they just tell you to leave? Just curious.