Options

Eddie Vedder - Salesforce private show

13»

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,565
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Just curious about the people who are judging Ed's credibility... Where are you employed? Does any part of your paycheck derive from a corporation or an industry that conducts business with any type of corporation?

We didn't speak out against taking money from corporations before taking our jobs. I am not saying it is wrong to play a private show, but if you publicly ridiculed big business for decades and sold your product in part on what you say publicly, then it would be hypocritical to turn around then get friendly with big business.

This one is black and white.

It would also be hypocritical to hold other people to higher standard than you hold yourself to.

I'm guessing from your answer that you work for or do business with a corporation.

If you hate something... Don't you do it too.
    You are missing the whole point. It is not about corporations being good or bad. It is about saying they are bad for decades and then playing shows for them. I never said corporations are bad, so when I work for one and it wouldn't be hypocritical.

And for the 10th, I don't know the circumstances of the event (paid, all goes to charity, etc...) and am commenting on whether it would be selling out or not if it was just for cash.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,565

on2legs said:

Just curious about the people who are judging Ed's credibility... Where are you employed? Does any part of your paycheck derive from a corporation or an industry that conducts business with any type of corporation?

We didn't speak out against taking money from corporations before taking our jobs. I am not saying it is wrong to play a private show, but if you publicly ridiculed big business for decades and sold your product in part on what you say publicly, then it would be hypocritical to turn around then get friendly with big business.

This one is black and white.
    Black and white? Do you have some personal knowledge of the reasoning behind the show? Please fill us all in...
    My statement in my post doesn't even mention Eddie Vedder, but a situation where someone (anyone) ridiculed big business and then got friendly with them. That would be hypocritical and yes, black and white. In Ed's case, if he did it for free or for charity, then I don't think it would be hypocritical. If he took the cash and pocketed it, then I think it would be a little. But certainly not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,953
    So between pearl jam and ed solo they ve maybe done five of these types of shows out of 1000 ?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

oysterjar said:

I don't see working for money as selling out.

It is when you preached it was for a decade.
    preached what? everyone in the band was rich as fuck and their grandkid's grandkids were set for life by the time vitalogy came out.

are we acting like the band made no money and turned down paychecks from '91 - '96? i know you said decade, but i'll narrow it down to a five year timespan since your decade comment is so asinine.
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    It might have something to do with Neil's Pono Player
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Predaking said:

Damn I love me some SFDC. Such a great tool for sales...

I really like it. We started using it at work about a year ago. I'm very keen on organization and uniformity when it comes to my job, but I also have a short attention span and tend to get aggravated easily. SFDC has immensely helped me with keeping things in order and developing an actual method to my often self-imposed madness.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,682
    oysterjar said:

I don't see working for money as selling out.

+1

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,650
    I loved how people complained that for the Oracle show only rich folks would be in attendance. Thats when I learned that this forum had no understanding of training budgets and conferences.

But anyway I just heard Mudhoney sing on a PS4 commercial. Whether you're underground favorites or arena legends you're going to love making money.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    DewieCox said:

It doesn't really bother me, but I can see why it ruffles longtime fans' feathers when EV does shows like this, after he's spent years griping in concerts and interviews.

I'm a realist and have always took Ed's preaching with a big grain of salt. In rock and roll, it's always been cool to rail against the establishment, and "the man" and all that, especially in the age that PJ gained popularity. I think people who totally bought into that show a certain level of naïveté, or maybe ignorance to the history of popular music.

Exactly. It only takes 2 or 3 PJ shows to realize Ed plays the crowd just like any other rock singer in the history of live concerts. Don't take his mic drops as sermon, folks!
This discussion has been closed.