• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    500K in a suitcase - check
    Round trip airline tickets for everyone that needs them - check
    Two weeks all-inclusive 5 star resort - check

Happy Eddie - check
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,857
    I wonder which song PJ will sell to wal mart...
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    There are a lot of hungry people in the world. seriously a lot. just saying
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    Meh
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,961

oysterjar said:

I don't see working for money as selling out.

It is when you preached it was for a decade.
    so you re' the same person that you were 15 years ago? give me a break. kids change everything.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited March 2014
    I actually left the fan club over the whole target commercial and what I perceived to be selling out. After awhile I came to realize how ridiculous I was. Jeff has stated one of the biggest misconceptions about the band is they hated money. The band does their own promotions and releases now, which is great, however there is a business side that isn't always pleasant that comes with it. As for the sales force show, Eddie Vedder and the band have gone above and beyond most artists involving social issues and influenced a lot of people over the years. I will give him a pass. If the band wanted to play on a walmart commercial as means to get publicity and stay relevant to modern society, more power to them. As long as they continue their philanthropy and raise awareness and money for good causes, I am fine with whatever they choose to do. If Eddie Vedder got paid a million dollars for that show and kept every cent for himself...WHO CARES. He has earned it and if it affords him the lifestyle to continue to do a lot of good in this world, even better. Lighten up people, musicians get paid to play music. Nothing new.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,332
    edited March 2014
    People seem to forget these things pop up every now and then. I myself attended a show in Vancouver in 2000 where the local radio station (99.9 the fox) seemed to have someone finangled Pearl Jam into playing an exclusive gig for the radio station. It was pretty cool to see them play a 2 hour set in a bar, but I always thought it was a bit wierd that they did a gig to promote a radio station.

The Hawaii one makes more sense to me. He probably got a good chunk of change to play it, and it's located in what seems to be one of his favorite places on Earth. How do you say no to a few hundred grand and a chance to spend some time in Hawaii.

I'm not that daft. I wouldn't say no to that.. lol.

ps. The target thing never bugged me. It was of a bit of a fad at the time. PJ didn't use a major label to release that album. Even if you don't use a major label you still need one for distribution. I thought they were trying something different. There are target's everywhere. Avoid using the major record labels for disitribution and use a major chain instead. They didn't do it twice so I guess they were pretty meh about the results. It was worth a shot. Trials and Errors of how to avoid using major music labels? Sort of a new territory to blaze in the 21st century.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,583
    mcgruff10 said:

oysterjar said:

so you re' the same person that you were 15 years ago? give me a break. kids change everything.

I never said he wasn't allowed to change his mind. I didn't realize that I can declare my views to 20,000 people every other night for 10 years, preach against others with opposing views, and then father some children and say, "well, my circumstances have changed so I'm going to change my mind".

I guess I thought the integrity of music didn't fade over time. You all act like he changed from yellow mustard to honey mustard or something.

Anyway, don't know the circumstances of the event so all speculation.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,961

mcgruff10 said:

oysterjar said:

I never said he wasn't allowed to change his mind. I didn't realize that I can declare my views to 20,000 people every other night for 10 years, preach against others with opposing views, and then father some children and say, "well, my circumstances have changed so I'm going to change my mind".

I guess I thought the integrity of music didn't fade over time. You all act like he changed from yellow mustard to honey mustard or something.

You're judging a guy you know nothing about except for what you see on stage. So he said things for awhile; ed changed. Change is good.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PredakingPredaking Posts: 267
    Damn I love me some SFDC. Such a great tool for sales...
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    for people who don't know. ed has a home on one of the hawaiian islands. he probably SUP'd to the show
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Zod said:

People seem to forget these things pop up every now and then. I myself attended a show in Vancouver in 2000 where the local radio station (99.9 the fox) seemed to have someone finangled Pearl Jam into playing an exclusive gig for the radio station. It was pretty cool to see them play a 2 hour set in a bar, but I always thought it was a bit wierd that they did a gig to promote a radio station.

The Hawaii one makes more sense to me. He probably got a good chunk of change to play it, and it's located in what seems to be one of his favorite places on Earth. How do you say no to a few hundred grand and a chance to spend some time in Hawaii.

ps. The target thing never bugged me. It was of a bit of a fad at the time. PJ didn't use a major label to release that album. Even if you don't use a major label you still need one for distribution. I thought they were trying something different. There are target's everywhere. Avoid using the major record labels for disitribution and use a major chain instead. They didn't do it twice so I guess they were pretty meh about the results. It was worth a shot. Trials and Errors of how to avoid using major music labels? Sort of a new territory to blaze in the 21st century.

after reading about the reasoning behind it, those reasons were why I came to my senses. I am an example of why you shouldn't pretend to understand someone's motives. Unless you're personally involved, how would you know?

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    it is possible that he doesn't keep all that money. almost 40% goes to taxes. still not bad. i give the guy the benefit of the doubt. i think EV does what he can to support the causes he believes in. could he do more? maybe, maybe not. he might be giving away a lot of money as it is. you never know.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,489
    I think part of the change in the band came after the whole napster/free download fiasco started. The band has to look for new revenue streams due to lack of record sales and I think this is one of them. I remember Ed did an interview awhile ago in which he stated he felt like the the fans broke their end of the deal by downloading music for free and that it caused the band to change their mindset.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited March 2014
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

oysterjar said:

You're judging a guy you know nothing about except for what you see on stage. So he said things for awhile; ed changed. Change is good.
    We are both stating opinions on someone we don't know personally, and only on what we see publicly. I'm making my judgement on the actions I've seen. Based on the "actions" I would call the action of playing a private show in Hawaii for a corporation selling out if the "actions" that took place for over a decade prior were anti corporate greed and anti-corporate sponsorship.

Again, I don't know the circumstances, and my original post stated this fact but also my opinion that if it was for money, then I think it would be selling out. I didn't call Ed a bad man and don't think he is a bad person either (in 1994 or now - based on what I see publicly).

Someone brought up Napster: If the important thing is the integrity of music, then Napster has no bearing. The only thing that Napster had bearing on was cash flow. And so if Napster changed the band's behavior, then it really was all more about money and less about musical integrity. I don't know that I would go off the band's quotes now too much because we all use "spin" from time to time. I wouldn't care to type all of this if I didn't become a fan in 1995 in part because of their integrity and "it is about the music" ethos. Lots of bands put out great music, but I became a fan because of their music + integrity.

Would you all accept if Ed came out against abortion after experience of seeing his children born and say "he's just growing as a person and we all change our minds". I'm pretty sure this board would explode.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Just curious about the people who are judging Ed's credibility... Where are you employed? Does any part of your paycheck derive from a corporation or an industry that conducts business with any type of corporation?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited March 2014
    on2legs said:

Just curious about the people who are judging Ed's credibility... Where are you employed? Does any part of your paycheck derive from a corporation or an industry that conducts business with any type of corporation?

We didn't speak out against taking money from corporations before taking our jobs. I am not saying it is wrong to play a private show, but if you publicly ridiculed big business for decades and sold your product in part on what you say publicly, then it would be hypocritical to turn around then get friendly with big business.

This one is black and white.
  • Options

on2legs said:

We didn't speak out against taking money from corporations before taking our jobs. I am not saying it is wrong to play a private show, but if you publicly ridiculed big business for decades and sold your product in part on what you say publicly, then it would be hypocritical to turn around then get friendly with big business.

Black and white? Do you have some personal knowledge of the reasoning behind the show? Please fill us all in...
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,494
    Zod said:

I agree on all points, and think your past paragraph (the P.S.) is spot on
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    Remember, Pearl Jam is a million dollar corporation. They are in the music BUSINESS, like any other business they produce a product, music, merch, etc... They have workers that they need to pay, offer health insurance and so forth, they need ways to branch out. They have to keep moving foward and if branching out doing a private show helps business so be it. He railed against unethical big business, that mistreat workers, salesforce is not one of them. Niether is Pearl Jam, I bet they hook up their employees. I guess I've never seen it as selling out, viewed it as a product. Perhaps I'm in the wrong, just my belief. I always thought it was weird that people get so up set over people selling music, it's like the only industry that I can think of that that happens. If an artist sells a painting is that artist a sell out? I had a lemonade stand growing up, I made $. I had a product, supply and demand. Most likely he donated money to charity, we don't don't know. At the end of the day, he has a responsibility to his daughters to secure their future and that's the only thing that matters. Not fans opinions, not yours and not mine. I know if I was in that situation I'd do it in a heart beat, but I'd put that cash into an account in the Caymen's, it is perfectly legal. Haha
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,494

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

oysterjar said:

Would you all accept if Ed came out against abortion after experience of seeing his children born and say "he's just growing as a person and we all change our minds". I'm pretty sure this board would explode.
    Many, many people change their mind about abortion after having kids... Or faced with a real decision on the issue rather than theoretical discourse. I would not be surprised if he's changed his views on this issue. I certainly have.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    "Sponsored by no one"
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    KC2917 said:

"Sponsored by no one"

sponsored by no one...except Sony(one of the bigger corporations in the world) for half their career. My understanding was the band always took big companies to task for unethical and shady behavior. Like the above poster stated, the band itself is a business. I think the problem they had in the past was other people profiting off of their art. It seems now that they have this do it yourself setup, the price of tickets has gone up as well as the band using sponsors and other means to promote themselves. I personally don't care one way or the other. People tend to build unrealistic expectations in their head about what someone in Ed's position should be. Like he said at soldier field, you're a consumer and you vote every day. If you don't like something, don't buy in. You can't make everyone happy.

Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    Got_SomeGot_Some Posts: 77
    Where in Hawaii was the show? Just curious since I'm in HI right now.
  • Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    Puako.
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options

on2legs said:

It would also be hypocritical to hold other people to higher standard than you hold yourself to.

I'm guessing from your answer that you work for or do business with a corporation.

If you hate something... Don't you do it too.

• Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702

for people who don't know. ed has a home on one of the hawaiian islands. he probably SUP'd to the show

:) I was going to mention that he had a house in Hawaii too but thought it might piss people off knowing Ed owns more than one house. ;)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    It doesn't really bother me, but I can see why it ruffles longtime fans' feathers when EV does shows like this, after he's spent years griping in concerts and interviews.

I'm a realist and have always took Ed's preaching with a big grain of salt. In rock and roll, it's always been cool to rail against the establishment, and "the man" and all that, especially in the age that PJ gained popularity. I think people who totally bought into that show a certain level of naïveté, or maybe ignorance to the history of popular music.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,607
    It's a brilliant move on Ed's part. Salesforce makes an enticing offer, Ed accepts and most likely donates the entire amount to charity for a generous tax write-off to offset the year's earnings.

Win-win.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    TheseGoToElevenTheseGoToEleven Charlotte, NC Posts: 106
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
This discussion has been closed.