Options

Eddie Vedder - Salesforce private show

Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
Looks like Ed played a private show last night for Salesforce in Hawaii. I wonder what he played, any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,901
    There's a Betterman clip up over @ YouTube from last night.
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    edited March 2014
    Is the stage on the right side of the picture and there are people looking at the giant monitor on the left side when they could walk 100 feet to the right and see the real thing?

Kind of odd. Live in the now people.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    TheseGoToElevenTheseGoToEleven Charlotte, NC Posts: 106
    Knew I should have buttered up my Salesforce reps a little more!
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    My friend worked the event.

SO JEALOUS
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    no one called him a sell out yet!
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,439
    JB128716 said:

Is the stage on the right side of the picture and there are people looking at the giant monitor on the left side when they could walk 100 feet to the right and see the real thing?

I'm guessing they're just not eddie vedder fans. I can think of plenty of popular musicians I'm not a fan of and I would probably be hanging in the back talking with coworkers instead of crowding the stage.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

JB128716 said:

I'm guessing they're just not eddie vedder fans. I can think of plenty of popular musicians I'm not a fan of and I would probably be hanging in the back talking with coworkers instead of crowding the stage.
    Yep, that was a networking event for non-PJ/EV fans.
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550

Exactly!!

Where is all the outrage about Eddie being a money hungry sellout capitalist????

Fugazi rules!!
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,612

Exactly!!

Where is all the outrage about Eddie being a money hungry sellout capitalist????

Fugazi rules!!
    Maybe Ed stuck that big fat wad of cash in his pocket and laughed his way to the bank. Maybe he played the show for free. Maybe he is donating his check to charity. Who the hell knows. Who the hell cares. But there's no real point in assuming things or jumping to conclusions with zero evidence.

words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    RiotAct10 said:

Exactly!!

Fugazi rules!!
    Maybe Ed stuck that big fat wad of cash in his pocket and laughed his way to the bank. Maybe he played the show for free. Maybe he is donating his check to charity. Who the hell knows. Who the hell cares. But there's no real point in assuming things or jumping to conclusions with zero evidence.

Agreed. I think it is a sellout move if he took the cash and ran with it, but we don't know the facts so no point making a big thing out of it.

I only think people like Ed can sellout. If you are money happy from the beginning than you can't really sellout, but if you talk about being there only for the music for 10 years, and then flip your actions, that is when you become a sellout.
  • Options
    I don't know. He's on the way back to the States from a solo tour in Aus so he stops there and plays another paying gig. He obviously doesn't need the cash so I'm guessing it's for someone he knows in the company or a cause they're supporting. Just my hunch.
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    I don't see working for money as selling out.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    oysterjar said:

It is when you preached it was for a decade.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I wonder how Cobain would react if he were still with us today.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    cdysinge said:

I bet he would be a totally different person than he was the four years before he died and wouldn't care in the slightest. Who knows though.
  • Options

oysterjar said:

Are you saying that for a decade he preached that he wasn't taking money for performing or writing music?

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    cdysinge said:

I wonder if anyone would actually care? Ed does what he wants. This could be anything, a favour for a friend, a charity promise, a corporate payout? Ed's a big boy now and does what Ed chooses, not anyone else and I'm sure he won't worry if he thinks he might offend anyone who believes that they might still be more punk than he is in his 50's.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    oysterjar said:

oysterjar said:

Are you saying that for a decade he preached that he wasn't taking money for performing or writing music?
    I don't recall that he was playing private shows for corporations that he hated so much from 1990-2004. I'm not interested in debating if you aren't going to debate the topic (playing private shows for corporations when for years Ed did little to hide his hatred for corporations).
  • Options
    We all know the band has changed over the years. My tickets said ticketmaster this fall. As I said I don't see working for money selling out, albeit he wouldn't have done that in '96.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,439
    As long as his art is not being influenced by the corporation that's paying him he's not selling out.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
    I'm just curious what songs he played, how long the set was.
  • Options
    Hawk123 said:

I'm just curious what songs he played, how long the set was.

Me too. Does anyone know the set list?
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    The music and performance still has integrity. People pay who want to see him perform. Same as always. If Walmart pays him to start writing jingles for them that's one thing... or if he plays for a bunch of neocons of bp or somwthing
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

oysterjar said:

I didn't realize it was still 1994.

And musicians get paid? That's crazy!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

oysterjar said:

I didn't realize it was still 1994.

And musicians get paid? That's crazy!
    Again, my original post indicated I didn't care and that we don't know if he was paid, how much, what he does with the money...

It is clearly selling out for Eddie to play a show for a corporation for money (if to pad the bank account). Is it a big deal? Nope.

Playing a show for a corporation and getting paid is not selling out on its own, but when you shout at people for 14 years that it is, and then do it yourself, that is selling out.

Integrity shouldn't change from 1994 to 2014. Especially in this example. The argument was in 1994 that money shouldn't be the focus and it is about the art. Well, as soon as the music industry changed and the money was't as plentiful, then it becomes okay to do commercials, TV, private shows, etc.... Clearly a situation where money was more important than art, but they just got paid more from CD's back then and could afford to take the "moral stand".

Again, I don't care like I would have 3 years ago when they did the Oracle show, but it is clearly selling out (whether it matters or not). It isn't like they do this very often though, so probably just helping out a friend.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    it doesn't thrill me to see this sort of thing. But look at it this way. Ed is probable squeezing Saleforce for some major cash. he gets to vacation in Hawaii and his crew gets a nice pay day. Everyone wins!
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    And don't forget...he is still playing music and does quite a fantastic job. Just so authentic...(then I think, I would love to have boots from the ed show's I've attended). Point is, he is playing music, getting in touch with an audience, definitely a few die hards there (so stoked)/maybe not, earning new fans along the way (which is good for PJ too). Yea, it is for money but---"don't you do it too..too?".
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    FYI -

Gap, Salesforce, Cisco make most ethical companies list:

blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2014/03/20/gap-salesforce-cisco-make-most-ethical-companies-list/

I've liked PJ through the years not just for their music but for the kind of people they are, and for the causes they support. I trust Ed's judgment, and he has a right to make his own choices in his life. I'm just jealous I wasn't there!
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    narnia said:

FYI -

Gap, Salesforce, Cisco make most ethical companies list:

blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2014/03/20/gap-salesforce-cisco-make-most-ethical-companies-list/

I've liked PJ through the years not just for their music but for the kind of people they are, and for the causes they support. I trust Ed's judgment, and he has a right to make his own choices in his life. I'm just jealous I wasn't there!

PJ played a show for Oracle a few years ago. I seriously doubt if they are on anyone's list of most ethical companies.
This discussion has been closed.