Options

Ash Wednesday

2»

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    edited March 2014

Traditions like these bring people, often strangers, together in a way that makes them feel a part of a community. My wife is Catholic, I am certainly not, am agnostic if anything, but when I was talking with a priest deciding whether or not to allow I asked him about the rituals. Part of it is the history behind it, the symbolism, but another part of it is that a catholic can walk into any church around the world, and will feel at home because of rituals and traditions like this. For me that opened my eyes a bit, I mean, everyone has their religion, whether it be the environment, Pearl Jam, football, theocratic organization (for lack of a better term), everyone has a religion and everyone has customs.

As for customs like Ash Wednesday, there is a comfort in it. There is a sense of community involved in a world that is becoming increasingly isolated by techonology.

as to the OP, I would think most things you have never encountered would be foreign to you, and it is up to you to find out more about it, or simply just assume everyone is crazy like I do...I look at these things through the eyes of my 3 year old, who is participating in a lot of these catholic customs for the first time and her interest and enjoyment and curiosity is quite infectious actually...it certainly has softened my stance on the importance of a religion in one's life and opened my eyes to the fact we all have, and to some extent, need a "religion".

it is just too bad that Mankind has segmented God along religious lines. It would be nice to walk into ANY church around the world and feel at home. I mean, aren't ALL Churches, Cathedrals, Temples and Mosques homes to the same God? I don't believe God (for lack of a better term for some omnipotent universal source that is beyond the comprehension of the highest evolved ape on this planet) picks which religion He wants to be officially associated with. Mankind is the one who created religion to a god that is created in Man's image. That way, he can claim God as his own and forsake all others and killed them with no remorse because of the belief that God is guiding his sword againt God's enemies.
    My personal belief is that we do not need religion to connect to God. All we need to do is connect with God. Go to the beach and watch the Sun set (or rise, depending on your coast) and talk to God in the church He built... the shoreline, the mountains, the desert a lake. Just find a nice quiet spot in Nature reflect on life. We really don't need someone else's direction to find God. I mean, what other institution do people just take what is said by another person and never question it? Your Government? No. Your educational institutions? No. Your parents? No. Your religion? Yes.
    Seek God. You may never find Him, but you will find solice in your journey.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732

Traditions like these bring people, often strangers, together in a way that makes them feel a part of a community. My wife is Catholic, I am certainly not, am agnostic if anything, but when I was talking with a priest deciding whether or not to allow I asked him about the rituals. Part of it is the history behind it, the symbolism, but another part of it is that a catholic can walk into any church around the world, and will feel at home because of rituals and traditions like this. For me that opened my eyes a bit, I mean, everyone has their religion, whether it be the environment, Pearl Jam, football, theocratic organization (for lack of a better term), everyone has a religion and everyone has customs.

As for customs like Ash Wednesday, there is a comfort in it. There is a sense of community involved in a world that is becoming increasingly isolated by techonology.

as to the OP, I would think most things you have never encountered would be foreign to you, and it is up to you to find out more about it, or simply just assume everyone is crazy like I do...I look at these things through the eyes of my 3 year old, who is participating in a lot of these catholic customs for the first time and her interest and enjoyment and curiosity is quite infectious actually...it certainly has softened my stance on the importance of a religion in one's life and opened my eyes to the fact we all have, and to some extent, need a "religion".

The bold lines above, Mike, remind me of something (hope I'm remembering this correctly) Annie Dillard said in one of her books about attending church when she live on the San Juan Islands. She said she did so not for the religion but for the community involvement. I think you can be an agnostic or even an atheist and still participate in community or communal rituals. My favorite along those line was a solstice celebration I went to many years ago.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Treyert14Treyert14 Louisiana Posts: 924
    CH156378 said:

Growing up catholic it was a good way to get a 1/2 day off of school..
    I remember when I was older and in high school my mom would call and get me excused for half day as long as I would go to afternoon mass. So Me and my buddies would go blow a bunch of joints and rub those ashes on our forehead so as to make my parents think I had attended mass.

That's horrible lol