Will there ever be another "Woodstock"?

I know the media framed the 1999 one as a huge disaster, but is there any chance one of these comes together again?

I would love to see a huge festival with all the remaining/surviving artists I hold in high regard in one place.

Comments

• It already did. It was called 121212. Sandy brought them together. Best show EVER.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    Coachella
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    There will only ever be one Woodstock. There will be other festivals and some may call themselves "Woodstock II" or "WoodstockXIV" but there will only ever be one Woodstock. Following generations would do well to build there own dreams and create there own movements and leave those old farts to quietly mold.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:

There will only ever be one Woodstock. There will be other festivals and some may call themselves "Woodstock II" or "WoodstockXIV" but there will only ever be one Woodstock. Following generations would do well to build there own dreams and create there own movements and leave those old farts to quietly mold.

Agreed. I don't think he was saying another Woodstock per se. More like another festival with a line up like Woodstock.

And even on that point it would still be impossible. If they tried to do that even 3 years later half those bands would have been too big, too broken up or too dead. It was just the right place right time kind of thing.

But in terms of seeing an amazing line up of bands that you'd never think possible I will stick with my 121212 reference.

And btw, WHO do those 2 shows/festivals have in common? You can't have the best show if you don't have the best live band ever. ;)

brianlux said:

Agreed. I don't think he was saying another Woodstock per se. More like another festival with a line up like Woodstock.

And even on that point it would still be impossible. If they tried to do that even 3 years later half those bands would have been too big, too broken up or too dead. It was just the right place right time kind of thing.

But in terms of seeing an amazing line up of bands that you'd never think possible I will stick with my 121212 reference.

And btw, WHO do those 2 shows/festivals have in common? You can't have the best show if you don't have the best live band ever. ;)
    Oh for Pete's sake, I very much Dalt. I could know WHO ARE YOU talking about!?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Oh for Pete's sake, I very much Dalt. I could know WHO ARE YOU talking about!?

Roger that!
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    There have been rumors of another Woodstock-like concert for this upcoming summer at the site of Woodstock '94 (Saugerties, NY, less than 10 miles from Woodstock but over an hour from the original Woodstock site). One of the promoters from the original Woodstock (as well as Woodstock '94 and '99), Michael Lang, keeps trying.
    ELITIST FUK
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Woodstock 99 changed me forever.... sunday night scared the shit out of me...

price gouging at its worst... make no wonder the outcome.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Yep Bonnaroo. Only difference is Bonnaroo is better!
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    No. Woodstock had the absolute best bands at or near their peak. Only the Stones and Zeppelin were missing, IMO. Even if you got the best bands today together, they don't stack up too well without adding all the nostalgia acts to the show.

That's without even bringing the cultural impact into it, which I think is pretty much impossible to match these days.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,136
    Don't call it Woodstock if so.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    It won't. People today only care about there being enough charging stations.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    I think there might be
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited January 2019
    1969 Woodstock capacity - 400,000

Woodstock 2019 capacity - 15,000

15,000 is the capacity of Riverbend in Cincinnati for those familiar.  It's not that large at all.  Certainly too small for the acts rumored to be headlining.  (PJ, Foos, The Who . . . )
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,072
    That's smaller than an arena.   400k seems stupidly large.  Even in 2019.  You'd still think it would be at least stadium sized?  50k to 100k?
    Sure, lets do it again in 2019 and call it... what else?  Woodstock 50!  150,000 old stoners (the other 250,000 are either no longer with us or got lost on the freeway just outside of Poughkeepsie), dropping acid, rolling in the mud and listening to the last of the living 60's rockers wheeze their way through the old hits.  What could be more fun?!

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Highly doubt it.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited January 2019
    deadendp said:

15,000 is the capacity of Riverbend in Cincinnati for those familiar.  It's not that large at all.  Certainly too small for the acts rumored to be headlining.  (PJ, Foos, The Who . . . )
    Where did you see 15,000? That doesn't sound right.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    deadendp said:

An article, several places online and I have a friend who lives in the town of Woodstock (not Bethel Woods where Woodstock actually took place) and she said that it is much, much smaller than what it was.  Phoned her yesterday about it. 

https://bethelwoodscenter.ticketoffices.com
    https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Bethel_Woods_Center_for_the_Arts
    Bethel Woods Center for the Arts - (866) 781-2922
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited January 2019
    deadendp said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    deadendp said:

An article, several places online and I have a friend who lives in the town of Woodstock (not Bethel Woods where Woodstock actually took place) and she said that it is much, much smaller than what it was.  Phoned her yesterday about it. 

https://bethelwoodscenter.ticketoffices.com
    https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Bethel_Woods_Center_for_the_Arts
    Bethel Woods Center for the Arts - (866) 781-2922
    I read something else where they were saying they were working something out in this context, and that it wasn't going to be what these rumours are suggesting. But sorry, I don't recall the source. I believe it was on facebook, and there was a quote from whoever deals with this stuff..... But yeah, I'm just going by this one thing I read. It seemed like it was trying to correct the disappointment coming from folks who think it's going to be too small.... ? I guess we'll find out!
    But seriously... if it really does turn out to be a 15,000 person festival, it really couldn't be any lamer, don't you think? That's so tiny - regular arena shows have more people than that at them, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    My friend stated that it is small, there is a general two lane road in and out... 

Moline looks to be 12,000, whereas Rupp Arena was maybe 24,500. I realize I am throwing arenas out there but my only outdoor reference I have personally been to is Riverbend in Cincinnati. I assure you that it is small.  We were at a sold out Korn/Rob Zombie show. It wasn't sardine tight, but not overly spacious either.