THE OFFICIAL -GOOODBYE- THREAD

13»

Comments

• Seems like a foolish idea to devote an entire restaurant to either thing, as much as I enjoy them both!

Worst Goodbye Dumping:
    A friend wanted to dump his girlfriend when he returned from his latest tour w/his band. They were in Japan I believe before this....sometime around 2001 or so. He has been with her for 5 years and has wanted to end it for a while. He picks her up to take her out to lunch as it is her birthday. She asks to go to Denny's since she gets to eat free on her birthday. (hey, we were in early 20s - free was always a good idea!)
    During this lunch she presses him on their relationship and where it is headed. He tried to change the subject enough to let him get away w/o telling her what he really was thinking on her birthday, at Denny's. She keeps pressing and he tells her the truth.
    She obviously was very upset. Her best friend was my girlfriend (and now wife) so I was good friends with her too.
    I felt badly for her but also, in a way, badly for him. He didnt want to lie to her and it was the first time he had seen her since he returned the previous day from his last tour...so when she boxed him in, he didnt feel like he had a choice other than to be honest.

We still refer to it as the Grand Slam Goodbye!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,638
    I'm constantly going and coming back at the same time. That way I can see where I've been and where I might be if I don't go where I might have been.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492

Seems like a foolish idea to devote an entire restaurant to either thing, as much as I enjoy them both!

Worst Goodbye Dumping:
    A friend wanted to dump his girlfriend when he returned from his latest tour w/his band. They were in Japan I believe before this....sometime around 2001 or so. He has been with her for 5 years and has wanted to end it for a while. He picks her up to take her out to lunch as it is her birthday. She asks to go to Denny's since she gets to eat free on her birthday. (hey, we were in early 20s - free was always a good idea!)
    During this lunch she presses him on their relationship and where it is headed. He tried to change the subject enough to let him get away w/o telling her what he really was thinking on her birthday, at Denny's. She keeps pressing and he tells her the truth.
    She obviously was very upset. Her best friend was my girlfriend (and now wife) so I was good friends with her too.
    I felt badly for her but also, in a way, badly for him. He didnt want to lie to her and it was the first time he had seen her since he returned the previous day from his last tour...so when she boxed him in, he didnt feel like he had a choice other than to be honest.

We still refer to it as the Grand Slam Goodbye!

haha...could also be referred to as the "moons over my hammy, i'm leaving you, sammy" goodbye (if her name was samantha, of course).
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    PJ_Soul said:

It's a good idea. There is a place dedicated entirely to fries where I live, called Spuds, and they are thriving as far as I can tell. They trick is to also serve beer that is paired to different french fry dishes on the menu. Bye.

without the beer, spuds would definitely be belly up.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    did losiento leave without saying goodbye?
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • I've noticed that dimitrispearljam has been MIA.

Hope we didn't lose him. :-O
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
  • He spends most of his time over on FB these days but he pops in from time to time.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    edited February 2014

He spends most of his time over on FB these days but he pops in from time to time.

He's pretty much done with this place except for the charity threads, and I guess maybe he'll come back for the show relays. The new forum drove him away - way to go 10C.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    Juggler, this is one of the funniest threads I've seen in a long time. Well done, all of you. Now get the hell out.
    I win.
    PJ_Soul said:

He spends most of his time over on FB these days but he pops in from time to time.

He's pretty much done with this place except for the charity threads, and I guess maybe he'll come back for the show relays. The new forum drove him away - way to go 10C.
    i'm convinced he actually lives inside of my facebook.
    www.myspace.com
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    dimitris is over on FB now? he followed the crowd. didn't he go on & on about how FB blew & he wouldn't follow over? this is a sad state of affairs right here, folks

no more learning greek
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • He lost almost all of his PMs and the mods wouldn't or couldn't get them back for him. He lost years of contact info and such so he said Fuck it and bounced. But I think deep down he loves it here and will slowly come back...he just needs time to heal.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    who?

He lost almost all of his PMs and the mods wouldn't or couldn't get them back for him. He lost years of contact info and such so he said Fuck it and bounced. But I think deep down he loves it here and will slowly come back...he just needs time to heal.

why would anyone store contact info in a pm on a message board?
    www.myspace.com
    www.myspace.com

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157

He lost almost all of his PMs and the mods wouldn't or couldn't get them back for him. He lost years of contact info and such so he said Fuck it and bounced. But I think deep down he loves it here and will slowly come back...he just needs time to heal.

why would anyone store contact info in a pm on a message board?
    because they are not thinking clearly or they rolled around in jello & pudding or they ate paint chips & huffed gasoline or they forgot or they lost their flashlight or they super-glued themselves 13 inches away from their computer & gave out their password to complete strangers
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    i didn't lose any PMs with the change, did any of you?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    FB :fp:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited February 2014

i didn't lose any PMs with the change, did any of you?

No, but some people did. Dimitris wasn't the only one who said that. I don't know about storing stuff in PMs, but I can understand why he was upset about his friends list. Not sure about any of you, but he used that feature, so when his friends list disappeared he lost a way to contact a lot of people - for HIM, that list was probably massive and included a lot of people who never post in the forum. I can see why that would piss him off - all he needed was some warning about the switch over, and he would have been able to write down his friends list before it just disappeared. Plus, I don't think it was so much contact info he was mad about losing in the PMs. It was message threads where he was in the middle of trying to make plans and ticket trades and stuff for the summer Euro tour, and given how many people he tends to be in touch with and helping find tix, etc, there was no way he could remember where all of that stood when the PM threads in progress went poof. It was pretty shitty that it happened. I do think he might drift back after he gets over it though.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    "friends", lol

sounds shady to me. people should find their own tickets.
    edited February 2014

"friends", lol

Wow. Yes, friends, as in friends list, which is what it was called. Not sure what you mean by that remark.
    I see nothing wrong with someone trying to connect people so they can do ticket trades or to hook up ticket buddies. I've done it myself, because I would hope that others might help me the same way when I'm seeking tix. I cannot fathom why someone helping others get 10C tix at face value would bother you. Plus, I'm sure he was also working on things for his own tix and making plans - he's going to some shows for that tour.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:

"friends", lol

Wow. Yes, friends, as in friends list, which is what it was called. Not sure what you mean by that remark.
    I see nothing wrong with someone trying to connect people so they can do ticket trades or to hook up ticket buddies. I've done it myself, because I would hope that others might help me the same way when I'm seeking tix. I cannot fathom why someone helping others get 10C tix at face value would bother you. Plus, I'm sure he was also working on things for his own tix and making plans - he's going to some shows for that tour.
    www.myspace.com

PJ_Soul said:

"friends", lol

:)) Yeah yeah, i see your point, lol. It's not a fucking sob story... but come on, calling Dimitris' help in getting people tix shady? I had to defend him! ;)
    PJ_Soul said:

:)) Yeah yeah, i see your point, lol. It's not a fucking sob story... but come on, calling Dimitris' help in getting people tix shady? I had to defend him! ;)

his intentions seem shady. there were no problems getting tix before he came around. who made him president of the fan club? do people think they are one step closer to the band by "knowing him"? does he think it will get him closer to the band? \:D/
  • KatKat Posts: 4,832
    And...say goodbye to this thread. It's not ok to gossip about other members and some of you need to learn to follow the Posting Guidelines and leave other people alone. That's the biggest thing about getting along here if you plan to keep visiting.

Admin

Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.