Perth, AU
Show 1
Feb. 7, 2014

Set List

walk on music Tuolumne

01. Trouble-(Stevens)
02. Sometimes
03. Man Of The Hour

(Ed chats with audience, wants to play them some ukulele songs)

04. Can’t Keep
05. Sleeping By Myself
06. Without You
07. More Than You Know

(Ed talks about how much he enjoys Glen Hansard’s set and how pleased he is that Glen could come back out on tour)

08. Good Woman-(Marshall)
09. Thumbing My Way

( Ed pays tribute to Pete Seeger and how important he was an how much he will be missed. )
10. Driftin’
11. No Ceiling
12. Far Behind
13. Guaranteed
14. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard
15. The End
16. Needle and The Damage Done-(Young)
17. Parting Ways
18. Open All Night-(Springsteen)
19. Porch

Encore Break 1

(Ed relates a story about certain hand gestures including the Sign Of The Horns and the variations of “peace” or “V for victory” or in some places like Australia and the UK when done with the knuckles facing forward is a vulgar or obscene gesture. He notes that Bush came to Australia and flashed what he meant to be a peace sign but was in fact the more vulgar variant. Ed then sings a song for a young boy in the front row named Conner.)

20. I’m Honored To Play For My Friend Conner (improv)
21. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
22. Sleepless Nights w/ Glen Hansard [busking style]-(Bryant, Bryant)
23. Falling Slowly w/ Glen Hansard-(Hansard, Irglová)
24. Unthought Known
(audience member requests Lukin. Ed says he will play it but they have to sing it.)
25. Lukin
26. Arc

Encore Break 2

(Ed talks about the ukulele and how playing it can affect your out look and feels the next song goes into that.)

27. Ukulele Anthem-(Amanda Palmer)
28. Hard Sun w/ Glen Hansard-(Peterson)

Glen Hansard Setlist

01. Leave
02. Love, Don’t Leave Me Waiting/Respect-(Redding)
03. Star Star/Pure Imagination-(Bricusse, Newly) {From “Willy Wonka” film}
04. You’re Hearts Just Not In It
05. Revelate
06. This Gift
07. Gimme A Bullet-(Young, Young, Scott) {AC/DC cover}
08. Song Of Good Hope

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Kat on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bchagnonbchagnon Posts: 164
    Wow. Looks like a good show. Thanks, Kat!

"Leave it to me as I find a way to be.
    Consider me a satellite forever orbiting.
    I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me.
    Guaranteed."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    Ed's solo show has come a long way since 2008. It might not be Pearl Jam but it is always good! Sounds like this show was no exception.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    16. Needle and The Damage Done-(Young)
    17. Parting Ways
    18. Open All Night-(Springsteen)
    19. Porch

holy shit! that is an amazing bunch of songs right there.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    Fab setlist but no society is a shock
  • Options
    So awesome that Eddie paid tribute to Pete Seeger -- much respect to those who pay tribute to the generation(s) that came before them!
  • Options
    Wow! Awesome set!!
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,013
    OMG what a set! yeah no society is a surprise paul...
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    mr.macmr.mac Posts: 162
    I'm curious if some of the Eddie written Lightning Bolt songs (not including SBM because that's a pre-LB song, I suppose) will start showing up in the sets. Would love to hear stripped down versions of Getaway and Lightning Bolt.
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Wow, awesome setlist. I hope Sydneys is just as great :)
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    no drive all night?
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    It was a great show last night!

Apart from watching a few youtube videos, I am not familiar with Glen's music, but last night he was really good. If you're going to any other solo shows I would highly recommend watching Glen's opening set.

When Ed started playing "Needle and the Damage Done" he didn't start singing straight away and woman in the audience yelled out "breathe Eddie" and Ed said "I was just thinking about a friend". After the song, Eddie spoke about how it is good to share your emotions and he mentioned Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He spoke about having seen him in a play many years ago and that he had met him then and on later occasions as well.

There were also a lot of morons yelling out at Ed...it got quite annoying at times, but Ed was great with them. Some guy yelled out "VB" (a brand of beer) and Ed said responded with "VD? You've got VD!". :))

Ed also spoke about how his fingernails don't last long due to his playing, and that he had been to an Asian nail salon to get them fixed. He said that he had been doing this for the past 10 years and that he always has to explain that he only wants one hand done :). Ed said a lady or a couple of ladies approached him and asked for a photo while he was getting his nails done. Ed said that he felt like asking if he could get a photo with them when she was getting waxed :)).

On a side note, security was VERY strict with enforcing the no photography rule and there were 2 warnings from a lady onstage before Ed started playing, so don't bother trying to take any photos/video!
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    mr.mac said:

I'm curious if some of the Eddie written Lightning Bolt songs (not including SBM because that's a pre-LB song, I suppose) will start showing up in the sets. Would love to hear stripped down versions of Getaway and Lightning Bolt.

I think Future Days would be a good one, except the piano part would have to be replaced

• Options
    I was always going to love this, but what a phenomenal show it was. The set list was perfect, despite there being no yellow moon as predicted by my daughter.

Went with a couple of friends... Been a long time since both of them had seen Ed (and last time for each was with Pearl Jam). They both walked away saying that they had forgotten how good he was. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Last Sunday Pearl Jam played at big day out (perth's last). They were great. Rocking. Tight. They are collectively such great musicians. Looked like they were enjoying themselves despite a reasonably lacklustre crowd. I danced all night and gave my fitbit a workout like never before. But I had other things running through my mind. I am trying mindfulness in 2014 and I failed miserably that night. I loved it, loads of highlights, but I have forgotten the detail. So I promised myself that wouldn't happen for last night.

Got the train with my friend and we got there early for the poster, which I like! Also tried my luck with an exchange for better tickets as I had heard more had been released. We went from row U to row LL!!! Tonight my tickets are 10 club and hoping for better than LL... Met my other friend for a drink and dinner. Headed back to the convention centre and arrived just in time for glen hansard's set. Which loads of people stayed outside for. Don't do this, people, he is amazing. All 3 of us loved it. He was a wonderful performer. Funny. Fabulous singer. So good. He talked about being grateful for touring with Ed which he has done a few times before. He said he couldn't believe it after the weird circumstances in which they had met. He said it was a long story. Someone in the crowd yelled out and said tell us. So he said he would. We all cheered and then he said he was about to bum us all out.

So he tells the story. He is playing at a beautiful winery with the swell season and he is mid song and there is a Big Bang next to him. We all laughed. He told us that it actually wasn't funny, it was a guy who had committed suicide jumping from the ceiling of the stage. You could tell he was just genuinely gutted about this scenario (who wouldn't be). He said that the next day he got loads of calls from family and friends and then one saying 'hi glen, this is eddie vedder'. He reckons he said 'hi eddie vedder' ;-) anyway, of course with roskilde Ed knew a little of what glen was going through. He rang every day for four days at the same time and spoke for an hour each time. Just checking to make sure he was okay. He gave glen his number and invited him to call if he was ever in Seattle. Glen did (though he said he thought he would break his head in doing so!) and they have forged a fabulous friendship 'thanks to Ed's generosity'. It was an amazing story. I had no idea. It set the tone for an emotional night.

Ed came out looking awkward and humble and tiny and soon all that changed (humble remained, of course!)

So many set highlights. Ed was in a good mood. A chatty mood. He was carefully choosing his words and was so good with the IDIOTS yelling out stuff (Side note, people: don't heckle Ed. You aren't funny. He doesn't want you yelling out requests. You are embarrassing tools and make me cringe! That goes for people trying to give him stuff. Look, I get it, I love him too, he is amazing. But let's not scare him away, okay! End side note).

I loved the nail story. He was very clear that he wasn't 'getting his nails done' but 'getting his tools repaired'. Loved the story he told about using a typewriter on planes back in the day (even he was laughing at himself for that one) and how he was 'upset' ("save the typewriters!") seeing a typewriter destroyed on stage in a play with Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He went on to say he had seen him a few times since then and was upset he wouldn't get a chance to see him again. He was really moved. It was a lovely, heartfelt tribute.

I have young kids and they would have loved the show but I am selfish and like ed for myself. So I wasn't surprised at the number of small kids there... Still, lucky Conner in the front row. He got up and rocked out to porch. I thought Ed's improv song was so sweet. How special for Conner. He will have great news to tell at school this week!

Just loved it. The End, Man of the Hour, Falling Slowly, Sleepless Nights were all highlights for me. Loved, loved, loved Good Woman (my son's favourite bedtime song). My friend turned to me at the end of that and said 'I can't work out what you see in him', with her tongue firmly planted in her cheek! I love Unthought Known and Guaranteed so they were awesome and Long Nights with glen on bass was amazing. Such a deep, low song, you can feel it... I was surprised by Parting Ways. The sound was phenomenal. The Springsteen cover was fabulous. I had another friend at Springsteen on the other side of town and thought of her during it...

I know not everyone loves Arc, but the meaning behind it and on such an emotion charged night, it sounded great (plus I love it anyway). It just looks spectacular with him in darkness on the stage... And the sound. So good.

I had never heard the ukulele anthem but I loved it. I try to play the uke and it just makes me want to keep trying. So funny. Will have to check out the original.

One other comment Ed made was about one of Glen's songs (the good hope one) where he talks about a 'boat' going with the tide. With his accent, for years Ed has thought he is talking about a 'bull' going with the tide. Someone in the crowd yelled out that cows can't swim and he said that bulls have flotation devices. Classic. He was just so chatty. I saw him solo in Adelaide and perth last time and it was the end of the tour, and he really wasn't as chatty, so really grateful to have seen night one... And so excited to take my husband to night two tonight....
  • Options
    It really was an amazing show! Yeah, there were a couple of morons yelling out - some dick in the upper part of the audience yelling out for Alive and stuff which was really irritating, but Ed either ignored the comments or turned the others around - I liked when he asked the guy if he had VD. That was funny.
    There was a dude in front of us using his phone and the security guy thought it was the woman next to him - why she didn't just say 'it was him' I'll never know, but it was really distracting. SO STAY OFF YOUR PHONES PEOPLE!!!

It was seriously an amazing show though - when he played Driftin' I got so so excited. I love that song. And seriously, no bad seats. We were smack bang in front of Ed, but the last row of the lower section and it was perfect. Cannot wait for tonight!

When he and Glen stood up and played Sleepless Nights, the audience was silent - it was so special. Great great show!
  • Options
    AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    Fantastic show. My 10C tickets were 3rd row, centre stage ... So extremely happy with that.

Eddie was in a very chatty and happy mood, no wine to be seen either. Some others have filled in a lot of the blanks from the OP. If you added up all his banter, it would have taken up a big chunk of the 2 hours (maybe 25-30 minutes?).

The typewriter story was the funniest for me ... To sort of paraphrase ... "What would people be thinking, sitting next to some long haired guy wearing shorts and tights, and he pulls out ... A fucking typewriter!" He went through how he'd sit down and type away, then ding, move the barrel thing back for the next line. "Sorry, it's only over there for a second". Kind of need to have been there to know how funny it was. He also said he sent one of his typewriters to Hoffman/John C Reilly to smash in their play.

There was lots of interaction between Eddie and Connor throughout the whole show, that was one lucky kid. He was just in front of me and got up and really started rocking out during Porch ... Ed could see him and you could tell it gave Ed a big kick.

There were a few other little anecdotes, like a few nice words about Chan Marshall; a bit about Gimme a Bullet (which Glen covered) and a quick jab about his anti-gun stance; also a fairly lengthy spiel before the Ukulele Anthem song (basically related to what the song says).

Eddie is just a fantastic performer and one of the rare few who have the gift to truly pull off a solo show.
  • Options
    I'm so looking forward to tonight's show - like the previous tour I managed to score front row tickets ;) ..I'm spewing I had to miss last night (I had tickets to The Boss prior to EV's solo tour being announced).

Anyone have a photo or a link to the Perth or Tour poster?
  • Options
    Great reviews guys, thanks thewayyoudo for mentioning Glen's set in detail....I really love him too so was stoked to hear he was supporting. A shame some people decided not to watch him, he's fantastic. Really looking forward to tonight, I'm gonna be very emotional I think! I'm hoping to hear Blue, red and Grey. Cheers, Eden
    "In fact, punk rock means exemplary manners to your fellow human being. Fuck being an arsehole" - Joe Strummer.

Instagram: pipingroller
    Facebook: Eden Sandwell
  • Options
    RenaeRenae Perth, WA Posts: 38
    When I first heard Arc live I was blown away to tears it was that great, but the literal unplugged Sleepless Nights topped that last night. I sure hope they do this at all the gigs for everyone to experience. Goosebumps and watery eyes from shear fucking brilliance.
  • Options
    Renae said:

When I first heard Arc live I was blown away to tears it was that great, but the literal unplugged Sleepless Nights topped that last night. I sure hope they do this at all the gigs for everyone to experience. Goosebumps and watery eyes from shear fucking brilliance.

Definitely the highlight, Eddie and Glen compliment each other so well and this was the perfect example.
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    Can't wait. Seeing them on the 23rd. :)
  • Options
    Great show last night
    Small town "goosebumps"
    Carnt wait for tonight.
    Taking my little girl
    Gave my Springsteen tix away
    Enough said :-)
  • Options
    CrazyboutevCrazyboutev Burns Beach WA Posts: 45
    Thank for those reviews ! Couldn't sleep last night in anticipation for tonight's show . Taking a friend who hasn't seen a solo show before - I have a feeling she's gonna be speechless after :) EXCITED
  • Options
    Jen07Jen07 Posts: 116
    Absolutely brilliant night, although I didnt think the crowd were as into it as last time Ed was here. Perhaps everyone was just as mesmerised as I was. Finally got to hear Long Nights live. Brought me to tears. Found myself closing my eyes many times through the night just to focus on Ed's amazing voice.

First time hearing Glen Hansard too. Def recommend everyone to get there early for him, its well worth it. And Ed and Glen are fantastic together.

Damn wish I was going again tonight...but alas I'm now a few hundred kms away....enjoy everyone.
    Perth Nov 14, 2009
    Perth April 1, 2011 (EV solo)
  • Options
    Ridiculous set last night, Lukin sounded amazing.

If you're going tonight do not hang outside and drink during Glen Hansard's set, do yourself a favor and do in, he's a great musician and has excellent stage presence

fanclub tix tonight, hope I won the lottery
    I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    Jen07 said:

Absolutely brilliant night, although I didnt think the crowd were as into it as last time Ed was here. Perhaps everyone was just as mesmerised as I was. Finally got to hear Long Nights live. Brought me to tears. Found myself closing my eyes many times through the night just to focus on Ed's amazing voice.

First time hearing Glen Hansard too. Def recommend everyone to get there early for him, its well worth it. And Ed and Glen are fantastic together.

Damn wish I was going again tonight...but alas I'm now a few hundred kms away....enjoy everyone.

The crowd didn't stand up much...in Sydney in 2011 I'm sure we stood up a whole lot more than everyone did last night.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    VarisVaris Posts: 38
    edited February 2014

Anyone have a photo or a link to the Perth or Tour poster?

Tried to post a pic of the fucking awesome poster and failed. Suffice to say it rocks though. Great show. great night. Love youse all!
    Post edited by Varis on
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,938
    Great Review!!! Can't wait for Melbourne.. My girls first show too!!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    thanks for posting that review BrainofBGA....
    since I've seen ed solo b4,... reading this review brought back the great memories of his shows....
  • Options
    pjamphilpjamphil Toms River Posts: 17
    jealous of the solo lukin sweet setlist