Options

Why are we working ourselves to death?‏

PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,565
Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

Comments

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,771
    Because we are suckers and we sleeping on two legs..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    because I need money.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I would say 75% of my daily stress comes from my job. It's not healthy, but I refer to my first post.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    I'm not working myself to death. I'm working myself to live. I enjoy my job and being productive.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    Because productivity makes as feel more alive than sitting around doing nothing. Wait... So then what makes us feel alive is actually killing us?
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The question is why we work this way and not why we want to have a job. I guess all of you do not have a problem working overtime (sometimes even without getting paid). Hey chief, we found some test rats over here... Productivity is not about quantity, but quality.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    For all the 'improvements' we've made over the past 150 years, it does seem like we've gone backwards a bit. I love my job and I love being productive but I definitely have started to think that the way we live today is all wrong. We are working ourselves to death for money because we need money because we created this system that does nothing to nurture us that does nothing but require ever greater demands on our time, away from our family.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Why do I work?

Lets see, because running around naked, and eating dirt, doesnt really appeal to me.
    And sitting in my sweatpants, and living in my parents basement, mooching food? Well, that got old 30 years ago.
    But the biggest reason why I work?
    Because I ran out of shit to FLIP on ebay!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788

But the biggest reason why I work?
    Because I ran out of shit to FLIP on ebay!

=)) <<<I wish this guy could laugh without rolling on the ground bc it's funny but not THAT funny. It's nice to have the speedy perspective around here. Maybe AET will come back to life a bit

Anyway...as part of my job I work daily with people who have lost the ability to be productive in the manner they have become accustomed to either due to severe illness, stroke, brain injury, injury etc.... These people often become depressed and lose their sense of purpose. They have to learn to define themselves differently, to find new roles to play. They have to find new purpose or occupation. That's not easy. If you are fortunate enough to find an occupation (whether it's your paying job, a creative hobby, caregiving for someone else, whatever) that you enjoy and gives you purpose then you are a fortunate person for sure. Striving for that purpose and definition of self is why we work so hard
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Stone Gossard: The fact that we don't work so hard all the time... That we really... We work just enough to really keep us excited about what work is... Making records and then going doing some touring and then... Being able to get into that process... We're like dreaming about a record, then making it, doing artwork for it, doing some shows, learning those songs, having some of the songs become part of our, sort of, history and then the ones that people love and... We do that in a way that we don't... We don't kill ourselves and we work enough that it really feels that it's not work... It feels like... It's still... We're sort of in this dream that we can... You know... Even you can't believe, or you're actually able to kind of do what you want to do and sort of that it's sustaining us, but it's sustaining our friends and our family that... You know... And the people that work here... So, I think by not killing ourselves every time we do it, I think that's helped us maintain a certain freshness about it...
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    That sounds great what Stone is saying in that interview above!
    I think it's optimal if we can work about 75 % and not full time, with something meaningful. But as always money is the big issue..

• Options
    That's why!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    edited March 2015
    North Americans in particular seem to have a real problem with this. Many other cultures seem to have a MUCH better grasp of what makes life happy. Americans (and to some extent Canadians) seem to be way too focused on defining their lives, themselves, their success in life, on power and salary, and even just work-related bragging rights (i.e. I work 80 a week, I am so great!). And they tend to judge others based on that way too much as well.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    ^^^ :yin_yang:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    PJ_Soul said:

North Americans in particular seem to have a real problem with this. Many other cultures seem to have a MUCH better grasp of what makes life happy. Americans (and to some extent Canadians) seem to be way too focused on defining their lives, themselves, their success in life, on power and salary, and even just work-related bragging rights (i.e. I work 80 a week, I am so great!). And they tend to judge others based on that way too much as well.

The rat race is only a NA race? I work for the man but only until the moment I can retire :lol:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836
    I'm doing it right now because I had a hospital go live to oversee and now I'm about to be away for 8 weeks and I'm a department of one so everything has to be tucked in before I'm gone. So for the next two days it's more work than anything, but I don't get the appeal in anyway. What the hell good is the money if your not enjoying yourself......never thought I would be so excited for surgery and the drugged stupor to follow as I am right now.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    FoxyRedLa said:

PJ_Soul said:

The rat race is only a NA race? I work for the man but only until the moment I can retire :lol:
    EXACTLY! lol I work, and I work hard, but I don't work myself to death, and I don't live to work...I work to live...and when I can retire, I will!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

I'm doing it right now because I had a hospital go live to oversee and now I'm about to be away for 8 weeks and I'm a department of one so everything has to be tucked in before I'm gone. So for the next two days it's more work than anything, but I don't get the appeal in anyway. What the hell good is the money if your not enjoying yourself......never thought I would be so excited for surgery and the drugged stupor to follow as I am right now.

Good luck with the surgery - hope it all goes smoothly, that you get the results that you want, and that you do get some chill out time before you go back to work.

With your last point - a few years ago I had to get oral surgery. Because of the surgeon's schedule, I had to have it on a Thursday. That meant I had to have the Friday off work (I would not have been well enough to go back to work), and the weekend off, then back to work Monday. At some point I realized that I was actually excited to have the surgery because it meant two days off work, plus a weekend in which I wouldn't be running around like crazy doing all the things I don't have time to do during my work week. That was a shock, realizing how overworked I had become. (I wish I could tell you that this was an ah ha! moment that led to major life changes, but sadly no).
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I dunno man but I saw a headline that in NY we have the longest commute and longest hours. I didn't read the article cuz I don't wanna be sad. I'd like to figure out how to not get caught up in that cycle without having to emigrate
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    If I could not work, I would still have to have a job.. I get bored.. but I refuse to work
    Myself to death. I live very happily on a 14,000 a year pay scale. So it works, except that I live in my parents' basement.. ( yeah I'm deadbeat Rob Lowe),. But once school is done, I can live very very well, virtually extravagant for me, on a 26,000 a year job! To each their own I guess. :-) as long as I can squeeze a couple of PJ shows in every few years, I'm good!
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,929
    I don't know anybody who is working themselves to death. I work more hours than any friends and family that I have, yet I don't feel like I am working myself to death. Though I still have friends who at the age of 45+, still look at work like they did when they were 18 years old. I have friends who at the age of 45+, still haven't held a full time job for more than 2 years at a time, before quitting or getting fired, due to their childish attitudes. These people/friends have no pension or 401K, they haven't put a damned dime in social security, and they are miserable. And what is sad? The fact that because they made the choice not to "give in to the man" and they had that "I don't live to work...I work to live" attitude, they will forever work, because they never once thought of retirement. So many of them still, at the age of 45+, still live paycheck to paycheck.

But to each their own.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,847
    An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So the guy's going to have kids to play with everyday when he retires? ;) He's saving the fun for when he and everyone he knows are largely too old to enjoy it, lol.
    It's not like I don't believe in working hard (i do have a full time career that I enjoy and do well at). But i also believe in a much more healthy work-life balance than is considered the norm in North America. It's not an all or nothing kind of thing. The question here is not about working vs not working, or hard work vs laziness. People who strike a healthier balance aren't all poor or totally unprepared for retirement, as some have quite oddly suggested in this thread, lol. There is just true value in smelling the roses throughout life too, taking time for peace and enjoyment and calmness on a more day to day basis, and not just when you're old. I love how people think retirement is such an amazing state of being. Of course there are always exceptions, but the fact is that most people go downhill fast healthwise when they retire, because they're old. I realize that practically everyone thinks that they will be the exceptions, that they will be the ones who are fit as fiddles and raring to go when they're old and retired, ready to suck up as much living as they sacrificed for the almighty dollar when they were younger, but reality clearly shows us that this just won't be the case for a large number of people. The "popular, as-advertised" north American vision of retirement doesn't really match real life in most cases. So leaving it all for retirement seems like a pretty risky gamble to me. I don't mean everyone can just roll over and die when they retire, lol. Again, it's all about balance, both day to day, and long term.

I just think it seems odd to "save up" relaxation and fun and calm during the prime of their lives for a time in the future when in reality, the majority of folks are too troubled by medical conditions and aches and pains to really be able to feel free, when their friends and family are starting to drop dead around them, and when their kids have other shit to do because they are full grown adults.

Apparently, retirement rarely meets people's expectations. When that is the case, I think perhaps those who always said they'll work their asses off and enjoy shit when they retire feel pretty disappointed and regretful. Sure, they can afford a bigger house and more travel... but what about all those years behind them when they felt better, everyone around them were energetic, etc? Sacrificing 50 years of your prime to putting your head down and working your ass off for too many hours just because of this fantasy of being able to kick back on a beach for 20 years when you're old while probably dealing with various medical issues and declining mental abilities seems like a pretty lopsided deal.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    frozenwithsaltfrozenwithsalt Texas Posts: 765
    I work for my two boys. I feel lucky to have a job for one and even more so since I have great insurance for us. I also work to buy them things, to take them on nice vacations, and to provide them a home.

Then after my boys are taken care of I work because I love shopping at Ulta, I am a wanna be foodie (which can be an expensive hobby), I've saving to buy a classic car (67 RS SS Camero /swoon), I really like big TV's, I like Lego's just as much as my boys and of course to pay for PJ and related expenses (boots, posters, framing posters, travel expenses, tickets...ya'll get the idea).

What I think it comes down to is how happy you are at your job, I enjoy what I do. I work with our military community all day and nothing gives me more satisfaction than making things right for them.
  • Options
    Maybe working towards a retirement, and enjoying your later years, may be delusional to some.

But in my eyes, not working towards a retirement, not saving your money, and having to work well into your 70's, or work till you basically drop dead, all because you chose to "live your life" while you were young.......Seems pretty damned delusional to me.

But again, to each their own.
  • Options

Maybe working towards a retirement, and enjoying your later years, may be delusional to some.

But in my eyes, not working towards a retirement, not saving your money, and having to work well into your 70's, or work till you basically drop dead, all because you chose to "live your life" while you were young.......Seems pretty damned delusional to me.

But as I said, it's not an all or nothing deal. Balance. I think North America largely fails at that.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

But as I said, it's not an all or nothing deal. Balance. I think North America largely fails at that.
    Balance.
    Work your 40 hours a week, put your money in social security, be smart enough to have a retirement plan to go along with your social security, have money saved and invested. When the time comes for retirement, you should be able to enjoy your golden years.

Its not all that hard.

Yet I know plenty of friends, who at the age of 45, still haven't figured it out. Plus, they have the attitude that at the age of 45 they can still find a job and retire at 67. Yet, what they fail to realize, is they are now competing in a job market against people 20 years younger. And what do my 45 year old friends have to offer? A bad work history, no signs of stability, and they haven't had any type of education in the last 20+ years. In other words, they aren't going to get the job they desire. I have friends, that in 5-10 years, are going to truly regret the decisions they made in life, towards work. Or maybe they wont regret their decisions.