Options

Lollapalooza Chicago 2014 Rumors UPDATED!

13»

Comments

• Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    If they are playing Lollapalooza then these cities will most likely not see a show on the upcoming tour due to the radius clause.

The controversial radius clauses prohibit Lollapalooza acts ranging from the top headliners to the smallest "baby bands" at the bottom of the bill from playing anywhere else in the Chicago area for months before and after their appearance at Lollapalooza in August. Sources have said that the most extreme of these clauses stretch from six months before Lollapalooza to three months after it, and that they encompass a 300-mile radius -- which would include concert markets as far away as Milwaukee, Madison, Iowa City, Detroit, and Indianapolis.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    MN is still good by that logic! There's not a chance in hell PJ plays in MN.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438

MN is still good by that logic! There's not a chance in hell PJ plays in MN.

Crossing my fingers for a Minneapolis show if they are playing Lollapalooza.

Would also love to see Green Bay finally get a show... but that will never happen.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN POSTED ALREADY

To add to the rumor mill I saw a story posted yesterday in the Music News section of one of the radio station websites that I work for, which stating that Matt Cameron pulled out of the upcoming Soundgarden Tour. The tour starts in the end of July and goes through August, which means if Matt is not on tour with Soundgarden that most likely his efforts are being directed towards Pearl Jam. The funny thing is that Matt Chamberlin is filling in for Cameron, someone should do a 7 degrees of Pearl Jam and see how many bands we can connect back to them. :-)

Here is the link to the news alert: http://www.1057thepoint.com/Music-News/story.aspx?ID=2140866
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    Well the Trib report certainly puts a damper on things, but hopefully it just means there will be a real Chicago show instead. I'd love to see them play Northerly Island.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    mattcoz said:

Well the Trib report certainly puts a damper on things, but hopefully it just means there will be a real Chicago show instead. I'd love to see them play Northerly Island.

That would be great. Not the best venue, but what a setting right on the lake with the city in the background.
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,244
    mattcoz said:

WORST VENUE IN CHICAGO
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882

mattcoz said:

WORST VENUE IN CHICAGO
    The 3 worst things that could happen for a Chicago fan:

1 (by far). Lollapalooza
    2. Northerly Island
    3. Wrigley again or Comiskey

Play two nights at Alpine and two at the UC.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,244

mattcoz said:

WORST VENUE IN CHICAGO

1 (by far). Lollapalooza
    2. Northerly Island

Swap 1 and 2. Lolla would give some hope of a warm up or fan club only show. Northerly Island would just mean one show and at shitty venue.

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

mattcoz said:

WORST VENUE IN CHICAGO

1 (by far). Lollapalooza
    2. Northerly Island

I WANT THIS...
    2 nights at Alpine Valley would be SWEET!!!

OH...THE MEMORIES!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    The worst thing to happen to a chicago fan after Lolla would be a Tinley park show. Then Northerly.

I hope they just do 2-3 nights at the UC. Its been a while since Chicago just had a regular show. I'm tired of the PJ events here. They are usually one off and then everyone in the world tries for tickets. I just want a regular show in the middle of a tour, where less people travel to the show.

• Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    edited March 2014
    Rossum20 said:

Lolla 07' was not only the worst PJ show ive ever been to, but the worst show. PJ's performance was fine (and MMJ and KOL were amazing), but I've never been in a crowd that was filled with so many a**holes. A lot of the people were trying to reenact what Lolla would have been in 92. At one point, there was such a crowd surge from behind that I was pinned between the guy in front and in back of me...I could lift my feet off the ground while suspended in mid-air...it was a terrible feeling and it felt like we were about to get trampled. A little later on, a girl crowdsurfing was literally thrown from some people behind my gf and I, knocking my girlfriend and a teenage boy in front of her. The crazy part was that we were not even that close, about 100 yards back at right/center. If I were to go again, I would not go anywhere near the stage. I'm sure not everyone had this experience, but I wish they would just play Grant Park without the Lolla Fest title...I swear it brings out the biggest dick heads of all time who are there for every reason except the music. We had such a great time the entire day, until Evenflow hit...

Sounds about right... this is why I don't go to festivals. The asshole:true fan ratio is just not worth it. Not that true PJ fans are not also assholes sometimes :) But this kinda stuff just sounds "typical" of festival crowds.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882

The worst thing to happen to a chicago fan after Lolla would be a Tinley park show. Then Northerly.

I hope they just do 2-3 nights at the UC. Its been a while since Chicago just had a regular show. I'm tired of the PJ events here. They are usually one off and then everyone in the world tries for tickets. I just want a regular show in the middle of a tour, where less people travel to the show.

Not sure when the last time was that you went to Tinley, but I saw Radiohead there a couple years ago and it wasn't terrible. It still sucks to get to and probably sucks if you are far back, but we were in Row R and the view and sound (prob RH's own setup) was great. Seeing SG/NIN there in July from the front row.

But I agree, we need some regular shows, but I have a feeling since they'll probably skip the northeast, all those people will migrate to Chi w/ sky high expectations.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Hopefully we find out info on tour dates soon.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    Although it would be harder for me to get to, AllState Arena has better sound than the United Center. The UC is just too cavernous. Alpine would be best for sound. I'll take 2 at Tinley Park. Sound is MUCH improved in the last few years, and it would be easy for me to get to.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,606

mattcoz said:

WORST VENUE IN CHICAGO
    Yeah, I didn't like it. So hard to get to and from, floor is wide and shallow so the angle to the stage stinks for half the people on it, the stands are small and far away from the stage, the concession area sucked, the bathrooms were fairly gross (although at least they weren't porta-potties).....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678

mmm.... drooling just thinking about that QOTSA show... it was soooooo fucking awesome seeing them at the metro...

Now you've got me questioning when I should book my flight up to Chicago for lolla... if there's even a possibility of a 10C show, I must be there....

I saw Queens at the National in Richmond in December. 1500 person first rate club. It was awesome, but I am so spoiled. They played 90 minutes and I'm like WTF! I've been to countless Bruce, DMB and PJ shows and 90 minutes is just warming up. For everyone else, that's a wrap.
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    edited March 2014

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79657878/

Where is it confirmed they will play lolla? This article doesn't confirm it.

Eminem is playing August 22nd in Detroit, so this article is wrong (about Eminem as a headliner) or this Lolla no play clause doesn't affect Detroit shows? Just hoping for a PJ show in Detroit if they do play Lolla...

Grasping at straws.... Keep hope alive!

Post edited by jlaustin on
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    dtr0624dtr0624 south jersey Posts: 611
    just a few days away for lolla tix/lineup. tix are tuesday so sometime soon or same day we will know lineup
    2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2013 - Philly 1, philly 2, charlottesville,
    2015 - NYC (global citizen)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,648
    edited March 2014
    mrussel1 said:

mmm.... drooling just thinking about that QOTSA show... it was soooooo fucking awesome seeing them at the metro...

Now you've got me questioning when I should book my flight up to Chicago for lolla... if there's even a possibility of a 10C show, I must be there....

I saw Queens at the National in Richmond in December. 1500 person first rate club. It was awesome, but I am so spoiled. They played 90 minutes and I'm like WTF! I've been to countless Bruce, DMB and PJ shows and 90 minutes is just warming up. For everyone else, that's a wrap.

Did we mosh together at the metro?

:D

That show was so much fucking fun!!! Definitely highlight of the weekend last year.

This is the same problem I have right now for my lolla flights... I usually go up to chicago early thrusday, but I need to make sure I can get to any side PJ shows, in case they happen...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    TheseGoToElevenTheseGoToEleven Charlotte, NC Posts: 106
    I'm late to the party, but based on the announced headliners, this festival desperately needs PJ-caliber acts IMO. Interested to see what the remainder of the lineup will be.
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496
    jlaustin said:

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79657878/

Where is it confirmed they will play lolla? This article doesn't confirm it.

Eminem is playing August 22nd in Detroit, so this article is wrong (about Eminem as a headliner) or this Lolla no play clause doesn't affect Detroit shows? Just hoping for a PJ show in Detroit if they do play Lolla...

Grasping at straws.... Keep hope alive!

I'm sure the clause can be waived at Lollapaloozas discretion if they want the artist that bad.