Options

This place is dead anyway...

Comments

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Ahhhh nostalgia.... What about Punky Brewster???
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Wretched show.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Charlie's Angels !!!

Yes I had the Farrah Fawcett poster.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,620
    well, I tried to sleep but I'm a little too pissed (sorry if I get all serious on y'all)...you see, I got a little warning earlier today...

"This isn't ok here; it's still name-calling and you're putting your posting privileges at risk. If you want your account to be read-only, just tell me now and it'll be done."

we all know what this is about....when some people clued me into what had happened to another member, I was literally crying with laughter as I read the PM's to my wife, telling her that ______ had been called a "bad influence" on us.....bad influence?? what are we, in middle school here? yes, we can all be juvenile....isn't laughter a good thing? judging from the use of that damn ROTFLMAO smiley, people are finding this a pretty funny thread.

If you want your account to be read-only, just tell me now and it'll be done.

yeah, that's what I want....rollseyes.....I want to pay $40 a year, year in and year out, so I can read only....I'm pretty sure I can "read only" almost anything on the internet except maybe the sick, fringe stuff that goes on in the world. I think one reason I'm so pissed is there coulda been a "hey, we know you're kidding, but we really can't have that kind of language, etc"...you know, maybe talk to me like an adult instead of scolding/threatening me like I'm your four year old kid...and, I am an adult...I've buried both parents, buried my best friend, seen some real nasty stuff in my job, etc...

this forum is a great place....I'd like to think that in my nearly 15,000 posts I've probably only had maybe 5 nasty ones....those were in the MT and I pretty much avoid that place because it's kind of an exercise in futility....no, I prefer the "stupid" threads and there have been some memorable ones over the years....give me the AET and let it truly be "all encompassing"! You know what else I have been a big part of? Helping people and being helped....you see, I had cancer and the people here played a huge role in my eventual recovery....chemo, radiation, surgery, more chemo, another surgery....it took over a year "out of my life" and the people here kept me going....I would post during chemo and make fun of my sorry existence...yeah, I was cynical before but cancer can really put an edge on you.

so, hey, to pay it forward, 2 other fine board members and I organized a t-shirt campaign when another board member's daughter was in stage four renal failure...a lot of people in the "this place is dead" thread helped us out....I feel like I know them....we had literally 100s of donors and we raised thousands of dollars....and I actually DO know a lot of people here...they've crashed at my place, I've crashed at theirs...I feel I know the original "bad influence" pretty well, even tho I've never met him in person....he and the butt of our "name calling" will get along great when we meet someday....I know that we/I have also supported people with brain tumors, ulcerative colitis, other cancers and all sorts of other nasty stuff.

you know another thread I'm "in" all the time? the doggie thread. over there we share to joy of having doggies but we also share grief and offer support when our doggies eventually leave this world....there is not one ounce of negativity over there...you see, we are mature enough (believe it or not) to know how to conduct ourselves in any given thread.....threads take on their own lives and if ONE person in the "dead" thread had said "hey, stop it," it would have stopped. But, no......

towards the end of that thread, headonist posted this (before the sh*t hit my fan): "Character, integrity, decency, self-deprecation, and a wicked sense of humor - those are among the traits by which I judge (and yes, I do judge, at least from this small personal perspective) and embrace people. All boxes checked from here, and I'm thankful there are many in this place I see similarly."

see? we're not bad people....we're not a "clique"....if anything, we wish more people would wander into that thread....because this place IS kinda dead....and it's because of petty crap like this while the shortcomings of this site are ignored...the ONE thread I've ever had locked was locked, IMHO, because I "found" one of the mods discussing reaching level 4 in Halo or some such shit in the "Video Game Thread" and pointed out that maybe they should be more concerned with the dwindling numbers in the forum....and instead of locking it....the "I'm taking my ball and going home" approach....maybe you coulda just deleted the "offensive" picture?

in closing, I'll use the nice ending you put on my warning email:

Have a great day!

I really hope I can sleep now and really hope I'm allowed to speak my mind....not sure about either.

and, halifaxxxx? I need a new song.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    :rage:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Well Rob, I hope you still get to come here and post. I don't go to FB much anymore, I'm really sick of certain aspects of it.
    Don't care much for some things here either, but what do you do.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I barely post here any more (since the "changes") and I miss so many of the people who used to post. I have to say, I'm a little afraid these days of posting the wrong thing and getting a warning or getting banned. That's not the way it used to be.

But I wouldn't be posting at all if there weren't people on here like Imalive. Hang in there, Rob.
  • Options
    ^^^^^^ these are two of the peeps I love! (and the rest of you degenerates)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Rob, I know you're pissed. More important, as far as I'm concerned, I know what a good guy you are and what you do for other people. You were the very first person here to make me feel welcome, don't know if you know that. This will pass. Please don't go anywhere!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options

Rob, I know you're pissed. More important, as far as I'm concerned, I know what a good guy you are and what you do for other people. You were the very first person here to make me feel welcome, don't know if you know that. This will pass. Please don't go anywhere!

I'm not going anywhere.....unless they send me off.

where am I gonna go? facefriendsspace? buwhahahaha!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Rob, you are one of the most genuine and truly great people that I've met here. There have been some that were cool at first, but then they turned out to be real fakes.
    Please don't go anywhere...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Was it earlier with you I had that weird timing? Because I just finished blasting Ringo's Back Off Boogaloo and it fits with your post up there right now.

I really don't get it - I don't know you well (personally, at least) but having read all pages of your kicking cancer's ass thread and your sweet dog(s) on the pooch thread...well, you're good people. And I don't say that about many.

Also, about the Farrah poster that rr mentioned. That alone is worth putting bs aside and just smiling.

Alright, done with the ramble.

*edit - the autosave thing is messing with me.
  • Options
    we're all good people...I'm just pissed about how I was dealt with.

do we need mods? yes, we do....I remember when the forum went away from that standard "blue" look....it was out of service or something....Given To Post started up.

no mods = anarchy.....total, minds in the gutter anarchy. I couldn't take it!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited February 2015
    Join the club. We are simply children waiting for our dad's to get home.

I felt the same way after my first scolding.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    imalive said:

do we need mods? yes, we do....I remember when the forum went away from that standard "blue" look....it was out of service or something....Given To Post started up.

Boy oh boy, I hope you can still post your post in the golf thread. I laugh every time I see you last posted and I know exactly what I'm going to read.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    Well, this is disheartening. As Hedonist said (and I'm paraphrasing here): it's nice to find good people with a wicked sense of humor here. I would hate to lose that. Besides, who else is going to bust my chops about my user name?

p.s. Rob, I have a Halts Maul button with your name on it--pm me your mailing address.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,792
    Should this thread title be changed to Save I'malive & Badbrains? lol
    I enjoy reading the posts you both make and exchanging in some banter....and I have also seen the great things that you both do for other people on these boards. Joking with other members (and it clearly is joking) should be encouraged, not censored.
    Hope that this forum does not lose either of you as it is fun to see people with a sense of humor neither give nor receive offense through fucking around with each other & others who are keen to take part.
    I consistently look past the fact that you are fans of the Buckeyes & Rangers....and know that you are both good dudes, even though I haven't had the chance to hang/party with either of you.

Mods, please take things in context. These are good people/ I refuse to ever go on FaceTard and this place is indeed losing significant steam.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    imalive said:

well, I tried to sleep but I'm a little too pissed (sorry if I get all serious on y'all)...you see, I got a little warning earlier today...

"This isn't ok here; it's still name-calling and you're putting your posting privileges at risk. If you want your account to be read-only, just tell me now and it'll be done."

we all know what this is about....when some people clued me into what had happened to another member, I was literally crying with laughter as I read the PM's to my wife, telling her that ______ had been called a "bad influence" on us.....bad influence?? what are we, in middle school here? yes, we can all be juvenile....isn't laughter a good thing? judging from the use of that damn ROTFLMAO smiley, people are finding this a pretty funny thread.

yeah, that's what I want....rollseyes.....I want to pay $40 a year, year in and year out, so I can read only....I'm pretty sure I can "read only" almost anything on the internet except maybe the sick, fringe stuff that goes on in the world. I think one reason I'm so pissed is there coulda been a "hey, we know you're kidding, but we really can't have that kind of language, etc"...you know, maybe talk to me like an adult instead of scolding/threatening me like I'm your four year old kid...and, I am an adult...I've buried both parents, buried my best friend, seen some real nasty stuff in my job, etc...

this forum is a great place....I'd like to think that in my nearly 15,000 posts I've probably only had maybe 5 nasty ones....those were in the MT and I pretty much avoid that place because it's kind of an exercise in futility....no, I prefer the "stupid" threads and there have been some memorable ones over the years....give me the AET and let it truly be "all encompassing"! You know what else I have been a big part of? Helping people and being helped....you see, I had cancer and the people here played a huge role in my eventual recovery....chemo, radiation, surgery, more chemo, another surgery....it took over a year "out of my life" and the people here kept me going....I would post during chemo and make fun of my sorry existence...yeah, I was cynical before but cancer can really put an edge on you.

so, hey, to pay it forward, 2 other fine board members and I organized a t-shirt campaign when another board member's daughter was in stage four renal failure...a lot of people in the "this place is dead" thread helped us out....I feel like I know them....we had literally 100s of donors and we raised thousands of dollars....and I actually DO know a lot of people here...they've crashed at my place, I've crashed at theirs...I feel I know the original "bad influence" pretty well, even tho I've never met him in person....he and the butt of our "name calling" will get along great when we meet someday....I know that we/I have also supported people with brain tumors, ulcerative colitis, other cancers and all sorts of other nasty stuff.

you know another thread I'm "in" all the time? the doggie thread. over there we share to joy of having doggies but we also share grief and offer support when our doggies eventually leave this world....there is not one ounce of negativity over there...you see, we are mature enough (believe it or not) to know how to conduct ourselves in any given thread.....threads take on their own lives and if ONE person in the "dead" thread had said "hey, stop it," it would have stopped. But, no......

towards the end of that thread, headonist posted this (before the sh*t hit my fan): "Character, integrity, decency, self-deprecation, and a wicked sense of humor - those are among the traits by which I judge (and yes, I do judge, at least from this small personal perspective) and embrace people. All boxes checked from here, and I'm thankful there are many in this place I see similarly."

see? we're not bad people....we're not a "clique"....if anything, we wish more people would wander into that thread....because this place IS kinda dead....and it's because of petty crap like this while the shortcomings of this site are ignored...the ONE thread I've ever had locked was locked, IMHO, because I "found" one of the mods discussing reaching level 4 in Halo or some such shit in the "Video Game Thread" and pointed out that maybe they should be more concerned with the dwindling numbers in the forum....and instead of locking it....the "I'm taking my ball and going home" approach....maybe you coulda just deleted the "offensive" picture?

in closing, I'll use the nice ending you put on my warning email:

Have a great day!

I really hope I can sleep now and really hope I'm allowed to speak my mind....not sure about either.

and, halifaxxxx? I need a new song.

Rob, you know I got your back 100%.

Reading your scolding reminded me of
    Mine and I to was pissed off at the talking down to aspect of it. I even said something to her about it. I hate that "have a nice day" tag at the end. It's amazing that they (the mods) are allowed to scold or talk down to people. I guess they feel since it's in a pm it's ok. I wonder if we're allowed do talk down to them as long as it's in a pm form. Losing you on the forums would be huge for the community.

Losing rob would be fucken lame. The dude has done so much for people here it's not even funny. Rob goes and I'm sure a lot of people follow. What I think this community needs is someone to check the mods. We have people checking us, well, maybe someone needs to check them. Again, how fucken funny/sad that a band like pearl jam where vedder has gone off on tangines (Leeds 2014) and yet the minute someone clowns around, they get scolded and talked to like they're 5. My opinion and this is clearly JUST ME, no offense mods but this talking down to members would get you fired from me. If I was in charge I wouldn't except it. Just like you guys don't want to accept us "joking around and calling each other assholes" I wouldn't accept you guys talking down to "paying" members. Didn't vedder say that in Australia in 95 when he went off on the security. "It's the fans that pay your salary" I believe is what he said.

And in closing, I'd like to say to the mods,"relax, smile and try to laugh" don't act so hard to people and most importantly, "have a great day."
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Should this thread title be changed to Save I'malive & Badbrains? lol
    I enjoy reading the posts you both make and exchanging in some banter....and I have also seen the great things that you both do for other people on these boards. Joking with other members (and it clearly is joking) should be encouraged, not censored.
    Hope that this forum does not lose either of you as it is fun to see people with a sense of humor neither give nor receive offense through fucking around with each other & others who are keen to take part.
    I consistently look past the fact that you are fans of the Buckeyes & Rangers....and know that you are both good dudes, even though I haven't had the chance to hang/party with either of you.

Mods, please take things in context. These are good people/ I refuse to ever go on FaceTard and this place is indeed losing significant steam.

Thanks for your kind words F. And everyone else who's supported us in this and for me in other threads as well. This community is fucken cool. Even tho I see screen names and not actually people, I to feel like I know some of u. And know that I'd love to party and catch a show with all of you. I don't come on the forums for pearl jam, I come on the forums to shoot the shit with some of my friends. And the mods need to know that. It's not about the band or them, it's about the friends and friendships we make in the community. Again, thank you all.
  • Options
    imalive said:

I've been on a message board with no mod. It was sheer chaos after a while. I've also been on a board where the mod was very arbitrary, penalizing some people and letting others off scot free.

Not a job I'd ever want.
  • Options
    enough, enough!! is there a blushing smiley?

after I "got that off my chest" (and had a couple of beers and went to bed) I thought of an absolute CLASSIC TV show......Green fucken Acres!

Oliver, Lisa, hired hand Eb, shyster Mr. Haney, county agent Hank. Kimball, carpenters Ralph and Alf.....

speaking of which...the other Alf was lame with a capital "L"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzT1kO_-xbQ

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    :
    imalive said:

enough, enough!! is there a blushing smiley

:blush:

Green Acres? Damn, you're old!
  • Options
    If your going there then you have to mention Beverly Hillbillies,I dream of Jeanie, and Gilligans Island.
    Boom!!!! That just happened.
  • Options

Cmon horse whisperer.Youre better than that.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    Here's the story....
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,982
    Dead, but not gone.
    I 'm lurking.
    As was said before, this place has saved a few good souls in some very trying times. I've been the benefactor of such giving people and my family has grown from a very small unit to a global hub of people that I would never have met, if not for the band and this INTERWEB!

I am beyond thankful that this is not the only place I can connect with the great folks that made this place what it WAS. Those of us that rode this pine bench for the last 9 years got to have one helluva ride and its just not the same. Too many changes, too many hurt feelings, too many assholes. (can I say that in this context?) Too many mods, maybe too many rules associated with being the bands' website. Too many smashed keyboards trying to post a picture.

I think it had to be the HOVER feature that broke me down... fuck. If I had known then...

Facebook sucks, but I enjoy the hell out of conversing with my PJ peeps in any other form possible. Group text, random phone calls, whatever! The best function I found on FB is the 'unfollow' button. Works well, even in the snow. (insert waving smiley aimed at HTtM)

Carry on.

"...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    All these pages and no mention of MTM OR Rhoda?

To reiterate what I said in another thread...

Fuckers! =)
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

If your going there then you have to mention Beverly Hillbillies,I dream of Jeanie, and Gilligans Island.
    Boom!!!! That just happened.

I'll vote for Beverly Hillbillies but not the other 2.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    The Munsters. The Addams Family (snap, snap)
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    what the actual fuck is going on?

This discussion has been closed.