Options

did pj play it safe on setlists in 2013?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    YLed2 said:

No - Ed demonstrated a rather masterful job this past tour mixing up the set lists and changing them up from most recent years. I think they as a band went into the tour with a focus to challenge themselves to raise the bar on this tour in terms of set lists. Plus most all of the shows on this tour were pushing close to 3 hours.

A completely new diverse, mixed set to appease hardcore/casual/news fans each night while pushing close to a 3 hour show is one of the largest reasons why they're the best professional live band in the business.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    demetrios said:

pdalowsky said:

Those set lists looked incredible to me

Indeed! :)
    Agreed. I've digested all of leg #1 & it was musically delicious.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,894
    Amazing sets that were formulaic but still fun and mostly unpredictable every night
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    2013 was also about going back to markets that hadn't seen them in a long time. A lot of the hits were played but those markets more than likely missed them when they were 'hits'. That's why to me chorus one was so awesome this tour. I hope they keep this format going forward. Its a great mix of rarities and the so called hits.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    The band is on a whole different, more professional level than they have ever been on before. Choosing which of the 150 or so songs they can play each night is a very hard task. As professionals, I assume they all would rather play 90 of them fantastically than 130 of them so-so, missing changes and fucking up lyrics, tempo, etc. it benefits the band as well as their audiences to have them nailing every night. If the setlists are predictable to you.... Not sure how the hell they'd ever make you happy. I know I loved the 2 shows I was at and love the downloaded boots from is tour so far... Perhaps the best sounding e band has been, in my opinion.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639

The band is on a whole different, more professional level than they have ever been on before. Choosing which of the 150 or so songs they can play each night is a very hard task. As professionals, I assume they all would rather play 90 of them fantastically than 130 of them so-so, missing changes and fucking up lyrics, tempo, etc. it benefits the band as well as their audiences to have them nailing every night. If the setlists are predictable to you.... Not sure how the hell they'd ever make you happy. I know I loved the 2 shows I was at and love the downloaded boots from is tour so far... Perhaps the best sounding e band has been, in my opinion.

+1 couldn't have said it better
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    I got Low Light and Bee Girl in the same setlist for this tour. Two songs I never really thought I would ever get. I think if you want to talk about playing it safe look at the PJ20 sets. The setlist this past tour were nowhere near safe. And mind you, I'm not bagging on PJ20. I enjoyed the hell out of myself at Alpine. I just think the sets for this tour were much more interesting.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    edited February 2014
    I thought the setlists were very formulaic this year and sometimes repetitive. I saw the Brooklyn 2 and Philly 2 shows this year and they opened both shows with the exact same four songs. Two shows three days apart and they opened with the same exact four songs. I went to Metallica's Orion festival in 2012 and bitched and moaned after night 2 about how similar it was to night 1 (both nights opened with Hit The Lights/Master of Puppets and ended with Seek and Destroy among other similarities). I couldn't believe that a band with that many songs would do that. And I was especially shocked to see PJ do it. Sure it wasn't back-to-back nights like Metallica....but still....this is Pearl Jam. We expect more from them because that's what they've delivered for years.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    In 2003 this board went crazy when 1 leg of the tour got Satan's Bed, Deep, and Why Go.

Now if that happens in a single show, people are yawning.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149

In 2003 this board went crazy when 1 leg of the tour got Satan's Bed, Deep, and Why Go.

Now if that happens in a single show, people are yawning.

09' Philly shows raised expectations. I agree with a previous post about taking a set & playing the songs really well vs pulling out a bunch of rareities laced shows. This band does not sound like they are going through the motions. Never have - even early on when they got burned out & cancelled shows instead of pushing through. Its obvious to me by these 13' shows, that the bsnd cares about giving people the best they have. So many whiny posts about opening with the same 3-4 songs? Perhaps with all the please play Release, Long Road requests the band heard & responded. That's not 'safe' as the OP suggests, that's just fucking cool. B-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    My answer is no. This band is always taking gambles. The only predictable things on the tour: pj playing a lot of songs from lightning bolt (everyone knew would happen given that it was an album tour) and porch.
  • Options
    SkeeterBSkeeterB If I knew where it was, I would take you there... Posts: 422
    Apone said:

I think the setlists are varied more than any other band I can think of.

Phish. Although many people don't like their music on this board, they are masters of varying the setlists from night to night (good luck getting a repeat in back to back nights). I'm not a Phish fan but I have a friend who is (and who is also a huge Pearl Jam fan as well). The stories that he tells me, in regard to setlist variation, blows Pearl Jam away and Pearl Jam is very good at varying the setlists (the first leg of the tour was played a bit safe though, outside a few shows). There are a lot of other variables involved, but Phish is one band that is far and away more varied that Pearl Jam.
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    Bunch of spoiled brats.
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    They played out of their skins last year and played a huge variety of songs. They brought out some killer rarities thanks to the mellower first encores and delivered for over 3 hours most nights. Why isn't this enough for some people?
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Caught 4 shows on that tour and the only guarantee was Pendulum to open followed by a couple of slower songs then a banger. After that it was anything goes.

Incredible setlist variation.
    ARE YOU HIGH BRO?
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Only saw two shows this past tour, Worcester I and Hartford, but between those shows the band was definitely not playing it safe.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    While the approach to the setlists was fairly consistent across most nights, the setlists themselves were far from mailed in. In fact I think they were more varied than ever, and here's my proof:

I saw 5 shows (Worcester 1/2, Brooklyn 1/2, Hartford). The stats breakdown to:

-160 total songs (averaging over 30 a night? Ridiculous)
    -80 distinct songs
    -36 songs only played at 1 show
    -Only 6 songs played at all 5 shows (including 3 from the new album which is understandable)
    -Perhaps even more telling: Only 4 songs played at 4 of the 5 shows. and 2 of them were off the new album.
    -Several songs I had only seen once in my previous 37 shows (Alone, All Those Yesterdays, Oceans for example) or never (Chloe Dancer as an intro to Crown of Thorns, Ain't Talkin Bout Love, Fatal, Other Side, etc)
    -Many songs I would normally consider on the rarer side (Man of the Hour, Oceans, Wash, Rats, Sleight of Hand)
    -The SHORTEST show was 29 songs. 29 songs at any point more than 4-5 years ago would have been an epic standout of a tour.
    -Seeing shows that included multiple "openers" was a real treat...and something I thought would be special to only standout shows like Mansfield 3. Imagine a show like Brooklyn 1 where they played Release and Oceans in the same show. Or Hartford with Long Road and Sometimes back to back. Unheard of until this tour.

If anyone thinks PJ played it safe on this tour, I think it may be time to reassess going to multiple shows. Maybe it's just not your thing anymore and you're looking for validation. Seems odd to gripe about THIS tour...of all tours. That's crazy.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,079
    25 shows
    Avg 33 songs per show
    150 different songs played
    Only 4 songs played at all 25 shows (3 from LB understandably)
    7 different openers + all the "opener" combos to start shows

Yup. Played it real safe.