Options

PEARL JAM TORONTO MAY 2014

Comments

• Options
    kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    The Stones played the Horseshoe as well as the Phoenix for their warmup gigs (Kool Haus too back when it was called RPM)... I would vote for Massey Hall or the Palais Royale (if it's still standing, Stones played a secret gig there too)
    Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,648
    Red Lukin said:

shep said:

Red Lukin said:

Let's see 5 nights at the Kool Haus and a warm up gig at the Phoenix!

barf.... Kool Haus is such a 'blah' venue... whenever I'm there I'm usually looking around, waiting for the stage to collapse, the lights to come down, lasers start coming on and the rave kids to start running through the door with glow sticks at any minute...

that being said, one of the coolest shows i've ever seen was at that place... Audioslave circa 2005 on the warm up tour prior to the Out of Exile stadium tour....

If I'm going to pick a venue in Toronto, I was Lee's Palace, Opera House, Massey Hall, or the Horseshoe.... Wouldn't mind a little Disease either, but that's just off the wall bonkers
    ;)
    Dude you can't compare the KH to venues like lees. Lees holds like 550 and KH like 2300.

Not sure what type of music you listen to but the sound and sight lines at the KH are one of the best in toronto, comparing it to venues it's size. ie sound academy.

We all have our favourite venues though buy being realistic I picked the KH since it holds a lot of people and still feels like a small show.

Venues under 1000 I'd go with the Phoenix and opera house any day.

I'll even take an amphitheatre show even though the sound sucks!

In all honesty, you're right, the KH is not bad.... my problem is just that the venue feels so sterile.... I mean, it has no character... it's basically just a warehouse with a bar in it.

And you're right, if you're comparing it against similarly sized venues, i.e. the sound academy, it blows it out of the water...

given the choice of all the above, I would go with Massey... just love the venue... so epic. it also helps that the only shows i saw there were wilco back in 2011, and that was from the 3rd row, dead center.

oh... and the amp- for large size venues (i.e. 15000+) the sound there is amazing. I've been to a lot of outdoor ampitheaters in the US, and the sound at molson blows it out of the water... if you think it's bad you should come experience the woodlands ampitheater here in houston, it's terrible...

You might be Teddy fan, Shep, but I am not. I don't like the guy at all....

The Horseshoe, when it's packed, is my least fave venue in Toronto. Sight-lines are terrible.

To tell you the honest truth... I don't think it's Teddy I was really looking for.... I remember meeting teddy a couple of times, but the guy I really remember is the older, huge guy with the long ass beard... looked like a biker... does he ring a bell with anyone else or am i imagining things??

Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    Consider this my vote..... I'm in!
    Monkey Wrench

Molson Park, Barrie - Aug 92
    CNE, Toronto - Aug 93
    Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto - Sep 96
    Molson Park, Barrie - Aug 98
    Air Canada Center, Toronto - Oct 00
    Copps Collesium, Hamilton - Sep 05
    ACC, Toronto - Sep 05
    ACC - Toronto - Tour Launch - Show I - May 06
    Chicago, IL - August 2009
    East Troy WI - Sept 3 & 4 2011 - PJ TWENTY
    Toronto, Ontario - Sept 11, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland - June 2010
    Belfast, Ireland - June 2010
    Buffalo, NY - Oct 2013
    Toronto, Canada - May 2016
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089

I would trade every piece of PJ memorabilia I own + pay face value for a ticket to Pearl Jam at Lee's Palace if I couldn't get tickets in the fan club lottery.

Jeff's already been there. I'm sure he liked it.

And therein lies the problem: if they actually played a show at a venue as small as those being thrown around in this thread, tickets would be impossible to come by and most of us locals would be shut out. I'd rather a show at the ACC that I can get a ticket to than a show at The Kool Haus that I can't.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Like I originally said to much of us fans for a show somewhere like that
  • Options
    nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    Welp, I guess with Eddie's Brazil shows in May, we can finally put the final nail into the coffin of this rumour.
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    yup sucks on so many levels...
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    you have to scratch your head at how they choose to promote new albums i'm to lazy to look it up but how many shows have they done to promote it ...I def expected another round of shows here in the states in this calendar yr ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,911
    Nami said:

Indeed. Well, here's hoping a Toronto show will happen Fall '14.

you have to scratch your head at how they choose to promote new albums i'm to lazy to look it up but how many shows have they done to promote it ...I def expected another round of shows here in the states in this calendar yr ...

Pearl Jam's Lightning Bolt record is what, 5 months old? And yet Ed continues to tour solo again?

It's totally shocking & very VERY confusing why Pearl Jam isn't on the road.
  • Options
    Hoping for some Canadian and US dates for the fall-and Bridge School too!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Versus13Versus13 Vancouver, BC Posts: 191
    PJ.....Toronto.....May

Count Me In!
    Pittsburgh, PA 10/11/13
    Detroit, MI 10/16/14
    Tampa, FL 4/11/16
    Jacksonville, FL 4/13/16
    Toronto, ON 5/12/16
    Chicago, IL 8/22/16
    Chicago, IL 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL 8/20/18
    Boston, MA 9/4/18
    Ottawa, ON 9/3/22
    Hamilton, ON 9/6/22
    Toronto, ON 9/8/22
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Nami said:

Pearl Jam's Lightning Bolt record is what, 5 months old? And yet Ed continues to tour solo again?

Im moving back to NS in July so now Im hoping they go to Halifax! Hehehe During my house search in Dartmouth I found another PJ fan selling their house - Montreal 2011 Soto print in the bar,,,,,awesome!

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Ya sucks for sure
  • Options
    And here we were... 2 or 3 months ago with people thinking (1) PJ was going to play Toronto in May and (2) it might clash with leafs playoff games....

:))

Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,911
    Nami said:

demetrios said:

Nami said:

Im moving back to NS in July so now Im hoping they go to Halifax! Hehehe During my house search in Dartmouth I found another PJ fan selling their house - Montreal 2011 Soto print in the bar,,,,,awesome!

Would love a Halifax '14 show. *crossing fingers O:-)

They need to come back to Atlantic Canada.

As for Toronto, got a feeling something will happen after their European show's this summer.
  • Options
    shep said:

And here we were... 2 or 3 months ago with people thinking (1) PJ was going to play Toronto in May and (2) it might clash with leafs playoff games....

:))

LOL. Thanks for that!
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,537
    edited April 2014
    http://www.torontolife.com/informer/toronto-sports/2014/01/08/joffrey-lupul-toronto-maple-leafs-the-list/

The List: 10 things Leafs winger Joffrey Lupul can’t live without

1 | My Yamaha acoustic
    I’ve been playing guitar for seven or eight years. It’s a good way to take my mind off work. This one’s great just to fool around with.

2 | My Beats by Dre headphones
    I spend about 40 per cent of my life on the road, so having good headphones to tune everything out is important. I listen mainly to hip hop or classics by the Pixies or Pearl Jam.

3 | My concert stills
    I have three amazing black-and-white photos from the Analogue Gallery on Queen: one of Arcade Fire, one of Eddie Vedder and a big one of Keith Richards. I love rock and roll photography—I love the emotion of live shows.

4 | My Klean Kanteen
    I drink about eight litres of water a day, and it makes me feel better about myself to do it in an eco-friendly way. I’m trying to get all my teammates to buy reusable bottles, because it sucks to look at the locker room garbage at the end of the day and see hundreds of plastic water bottles.

5 | My Pick Punch
    It’s like a heavy-duty hole punch, but it makes guitar picks out of old plastic. I’ve been using hotel key cards, which make cool souvenirs. I’ve got hundreds of them now.
    The List: 10 things Leafs winger Joffrey Lupul can't live without

6 | My watch collection
    I have watches for all different occasions—dressing up, going to work, to the gym, whatever. The Breitling is special because it was the first one I got when I had enough money to buy a serious watch.

7 | My nighttime ritual
    I read every night before bed. Some nights it’s two pages, some nights it’s 30. Right now I’m really into Chuck Klosterman and Jonathan Franzen.

8 | My peacoat
    It’s from Gotstyle, which is where I get a lot of my clothes. Style is important to me. And Toronto is a stylish city—a lot more than I anticipated when I moved here. I love to walk along College or Queen and people watch.

9 | My UGG slippers
    When I was living in L.A., I got invited to the Midsummer Night’s Dream party at the Playboy mansion. I needed some appropriate footwear, so I stopped on my way over to buy slippers. I thought they’d just be for one night of fun, but they’re amazing.

10 | Fresh flowers
    I always have flowers in my house. Usually orchids or sunflowers. I just think your house looks and smells better with flowers.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    As a Penguins fan, I love seeing the Leafs struggle like this.
    But hey, at least the Raptors made the playoffs!
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• Options
    102.1 were talking about a rumoured pj show this summer
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,478

oh that would be so nice
    8->
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options

Excellent! Who was it and what did they say? I think we are a good bet to get a show in Sept.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    BeerBaron said:

Excellent! Who was it and what did they say? I think we are a good bet to get a show in Sept.
    Maybe Toronto or Montreal starts a fall tour that runs down through the Midwest?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

BeerBaron said:

Maybe Toronto or Montreal starts a fall tour that runs down through the Midwest?
    That was my exact guess when talking to a friend this morning. They often start tours in Toronto or closeby, so if there's a Montreal and a Toronto show, I would expect them to bet he first two shows of the tour.

If they start the tour in Sept, they don't have to worry about arena availability either as the NHL season wouldn't have started yet, so I would also guess that the tour would end with the second ACL show. I'd say the tour starts in either Toronto or Montreal some time between Sept 15-20. That would allow for a tour of about 12-15 shows.
  • Options
    BeerBaron said:

BeerBaron said:

That was my exact guess when talking to a friend this morning. They often start tours in Toronto or closeby, so if there's a Montreal and a Toronto show, I would expect them to bet he first two shows of the tour.

If they start the tour in Sept, they don't have to worry about arena availability either as the NHL season wouldn't have started yet, so I would also guess that the tour would end with the second ACL show. I'd say the tour starts in either Toronto or Montreal some time between Sept 15-20. That would allow for a tour of about 12-15 shows.
    When do you think it will be announced tho?
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884

BeerBaron said:

BeerBaron said:

My guess is in June. Maybe the June newsletter right before they head to Europe.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

My guess is in June. Maybe the June newsletter right before they head to Europe.
    That would be my guess too.
  • Options
    Sweet cant wait hopefully it happens I have a good feeling it will
  • Options
    BeerBaron said:

I would also like to know what they said tho lol
  • Options
    BeerBaron said:

BeerBaron said:

Sounds like a pretty well educated guess. Hopefully it's somewhat close to reality... would love an excuse to visit Toronto in the fall, but hopefully not on my fiance's 30th birthday.... (although she was a little stunned when she got to see Uncle Neil take the stage with the boys on her 27th... still not sure how I pulled that one off... lol....)
  • Options
    Salmon Festival!!!!! lol

Halifax in the fall would be great along with TO and MTL.