Where to move to in Florida?

Recently, my Wife and I decided that we can no longer take the cold winters in Massachusetts. We decided that we want to move to Florida due to the warmer weather and more relaxing atmosphere. The trouble is Florida is so damn big. Our thoughts is to take two weeks of vacation to explore some of the cities and towns that we might be interested in.

I was wondering if anyone could give us any ideas of towns or cities that we should check out. I am 31 and she is 25, ideally we would like to be someplace that also has a good population of twenty or thirty somethings. We also need to be close to a really nice beach that possibly has a nice boardwalk. Ideally, we do not want to be North of Cocoa Beach on the East Coast and probably only would want to be in the Tampa Bay area on the West Coast.

We are not huge party people and generally hate loud bars. I would love to find a nice hangout spot on the water that offers drinks, is relatively quite and relaxing but also has good crowd.

Thanks for any suggestions!
1996: Hartford
1998: Mansfield 1
2000: Mansfield 1 & 2
2003: Albany, Uniondale, Mansfield 1, 2 & 3
2004: Boston 1 & 2
2005: Montreal, Ottawa
2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston 1 & 2
2008: Columbia, Virginia Beach, Camden 1 & 2, Washington D. C., Hartford, Mansfield 1 & 2
2010: Boston
2011: East Troy 1 & 2
2012: Pensacola
2013: Worcester 1 & 2, Hartford

Comments

• I've lived in and around Florida for 36 years. Lived in Gainesville, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Lake Worth, and West Palm. There's a trend there - I keep moving north!

Its hard to make suggestions because some areas are so very different from others. But i'll give my two cents...

I've known a lot of people who moved here in their twenties and hated it for awhile, then they began to like it more and more after a few years. My guess is that there are some real assholes down here. The disparity between rich and poor is immense, yet they live on top of each other. Then there's the retirees. LOTS of old people. They will test your patience.

Do you have kids? or plan on having kids? I ask that because I have a few friends who grew up in Boca rAton and moved to Jupiter (Jupiter Farms) -- its a nice area for Families with great parks and beaches. But there's not much of a downtown or central area thats fun.

I'll start on east coast and work my way north...Ft. Lauderdale and Miami are cool, but I donw know much about them on a daily basis.

Boca Raton is (north of ft lauderdale) a nice area, but I think its overpriced and you'll find the most snobs here. I lived there the longest and couldnt wait to get the fuck out. But its centrally located on the south east, meaning its easy to visit Ft Lauderdale and Miami to the south, or up to west palm in the north.

I think you would like Delray (just north of Boca Raton) if you like laid back. beach type places. But its very crowded. The downtown was cool and quaint, but its getting kinda commercial and a bit cheesy in places. But I really enjoy Delray. Be casreful though, there are some rough neighborhoods that border good ones.

SKip Boyton beach (just north of Delray) it sucks. Its cheaper, but it sucks.

Lake worth (just north of Boytnon). I loved living in Lake WOrth. Its very unusual. But the bad areas are really scary. The downtown is up and coming, quaint and laid back, and the people are fun. There's a great artist/musician community in Lake Worth. The beaches are nice and the parks are good. The schools kinda suck though.

North of Lake Worth is West Palm Beach. I like WPB because I can go to Lake worth easily, or head up to Jupiter as well. West Palm also has a really great downtown and nearby City Place (movies, restaurants, bowling). Its took me awhile to get into WPB, but its by far my favorite now. There are some nice neighborhoods with decent priced houses and most of the schools are pretty good. The beaches are nice, but the parking and beach access is terrible here though. I usually go to Jupiter or Lake Worth for the beaches.

If you want to PM me for more details or call me anytime, I love helping folks out in this department because Ive learned a lot and lived all over south Florida.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • front spacerfront spacer Posts: 3,246
    I'll be interested to see the responses from local Floridians. I've vacationed in South Florida several times (Pompano Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami).

I'd love to do the same thing.....Indiana's winter this year kicked my ass!
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2014
    No offense to the OP, but you couldn't pay me enough to move to a crooked state like Florida. The laws alone keep me away.
  • Thanks for the info Jonny we really appreciate it. I think a lot of areas you mentioned in and around the Delray area we will be checking out. This seems like the area that keeps popping up. We went to Vero Beach a few years ago looking for treasure, and found that area to be kinda boring. There was also a lot of wind, is it always real windy down this way and on the east coast?

2008: Columbia, Virginia Beach, Camden 1 & 2, Washington D. C., Hartford, Mansfield 1 & 2
  • LosientoLosiento Posts: 282
    Where I used to in the panhandle is nice retirement. Lots of the older people I know are in Palm Beach.
  • Thanks for the info Jonny we really appreciate it. I think a lot of areas you mentioned in and around the Delray area we will be checking out. This seems like the area that keeps popping up. We went to Vero Beach a few years ago looking for treasure, and found that area to be kinda boring. There was also a lot of wind, is it always real windy down this way and on the east coast?

Yeah, anything north of Jupiter is going to be pretty boring...until you get to St. Augustine.
    No, its not usually very windy (aside from a hurricane every now and then haha)

Yeah, Delray has a good vibe!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Currently I live next to Mickey Mouse, smoke herb with goofy and I'm dating princess Jasmine. So I'm enjoying my time in Central Florida, otherwise I have a place on an Island, where only drones see me.

I like Miami, but not a fan of the congestion, I personally find Jupiter dull, otherwise I agree with Johnny P.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Madeira beach mate
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    Wma31394 said:

Madeira beach mate

a native seconds this. most of st. pete beach, really.

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Ya Madeira is nice,
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Yeah, F the cold! I moved from Chicago to Arizona 7 years ago and have no regrets whatsoever! 78 degrees here today and like 10 back in Chicago.
    Sorry I can't contribute much to the Florida inquiry. Not a fan of Florida. Too humid, too many old people for my liking. hahahaha! Not to say there aren't tons of old people here....
    hahahaha!
    dankind said:

Wma31394 said:

Madeira beach mate

a native seconds this. most of st. pete beach, really.

I'm from the Sarasota/Bradenton area myself, but I spent a lot of time in all of the little beach villages in St. Pete. Madeira Beach is really awesome, laid back, walkable, but it is being developed. You can still get waterfront homes there for a decent price, though. I look at real estate there almost every day. Treasure Island, Reddington Beach, Sunset Beach and St. Pete Beach are all also very cool. Old-school vibe everywhere.

Speaking of beach villages, Siesta Village on Siesta Key in Sarasota is just about one of the best spots in Florida. Amazing beaches, very laid back but not in a blue-haired way. It is pricey, though. Nokomis is a cool spot, too.

And speaking of old-school vibes, you don't get much more old Florida than Anna Maria Island and Cortez. There are three communities on AMI -- Anna Maria, Holmes Beach and Bradenton Beach -- all have their pros and not many cons, but Bradenton Beach is the least expensive of the three, and there is a free trolley that takes you everywhere you would need to go out there. As for Cortez, it is an old fishing village. If you're into that lifestyle, Cortez is where you want to live.

The Gulf Coast is certainly a little less windy than the Atlantic, and the water is warmer as well.

For the Atlantic Coast, JP has covered South Florida fairly well, so I'll head a little north on the Atlantic side, and go on record as saying that Stuart is a great town. Similar to Delray but less crowded. Great surfing, too. If you're into surfing at all, the Atlantic Coast is definitely where you want to be. Although I would stick to somewhere like Stuart a little more central with good waves of its own. That way, you can head north, where you need to go for the waves if it's flat in your area (Sebastian Inlet, Ponce Inlet, Flagler Beach) and still be a nice drive from South Florida's attractions.

Feel free to pm me as well.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    edited January 2014
    I know some people who live in Miami and they fucking HATE it - they say it's basically a festering shit hole for various reasons - so maybe don't pick Miami?
    I've been to Florida, and I will definitely never go back unless there is a very huge motivation somehow. I found it to be pretty much a broiling hot, sweaty crap hole mainly full of swamps and strip malls (not that I went everywhere in the state - that's just what I thought where I did go. Of course there must be some places that are okay). Just my opinion, and I apologize to anyone who lives there and I'm offending by trashing their state.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    PJ_Soul said:

I know some people who live in Miami and they fucking HATE it - they say it's basically a festering shit hole for various reasons - so maybe don't pick Miami?
    I've been to Florida, and I will definitely never go back unless there is a very huge motivation somehow. I found it to be pretty much a broiling hot, sweaty crap hole mainly full of swamps and strip malls. Just my opinion, and I apologize to anyone who lives there and I'm offending by trashing their state.

Agreed. I have to go there a few times a year for work. The best part of my trips is getting on the plane to get OUT of Florida.
    Again...no offense to those that live there. I just hate it quite a bit.
  • Dankind, I've been dying to explore the gulf coast...only been there a few times. I am planning on a kayak trip this summer, so I will use some of your advice, thanks!

And yes, Stuart is pretty cool too. Surfing is decent in Jupiter and definitely gets better as you head north towards Sebastian.

PjSoul, I am not a fan of most of Miami either, but my best friend lives in Coral Gables (south, south Miami) and that area is pretty sweet, but pricey! And Miami does have the nude beaches :)) X_X
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Why hasn't BD participated in this thread?

I spent 2 weeks in Orlando a while back, and couldn't stand the humidity. Granted, it was in mid-September, so it wasn't too horrible, but I can't imagine what it's like during the summer.

Mr. RK had to go to a conference at Sanibel Harbor for 2 weeks, said it was really nice there (it's on the west coast) so I may go back to see that someday. He has another conference later this month in Orlando. I might go, just because I want a little vacation.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Florida is huge.

If you've been there on business (or even on vacation) you likely haven't been to the real Florida.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    RKCNDY said:

I spent 2 weeks in Orlando a while back, and couldn't stand the humidity. Granted, it was in mid-September, so it wasn't too horrible, but I can't imagine what it's like during the summer.

Mr. RK had to go to a conference at Sanibel Harbor for 2 weeks, said it was really nice there (it's on the west coast) so I may go back to see that someday. He has another conference later this month in Orlando. I might go, just because I want a little vacation.

Love Sanibel for a little getaway. Orlando used to be a little artsier/edgier than it is now. I liked it back then. There is still a great regional theatre there as well as one of the best record stores in the state.

You can't really escape the humidity unless you are on the beach. The breeze sort of cancels it out.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Born and raised in Jacksonville. While I realize it's farther north than you are shopping, I'll give my two cents. Jax is a huge sprawling city. While our population is less than that of the other major cities, primarily, Miami, Orlando, and Tampa, geographically it is much larger. It literally takes 40 minutes to get from one side of town to the other in all directions. There are lots of different areas that all possess a character of its own. I feel like the median age of residents is getting younger which seems to be lending itself to a "hipper" (for a lack of a better term) feel. Traffic can suck sometimes but I dont think it's anywhere near the traffic you can encounter in the other cities (Tampa & Orlando are the WORST).
    Pros:
    -Beaches are great and there are numerous to choose from. I think that we technically have something like 40 miles of coastline that is considered the greater Jax area. Some more crowded than others. Great waves, great sand but not much of a boardwalk other than Jax beach near the pier.
    -Lots of cool districts to choose from
    - Traffic is not bad for a big city
    - Great entertainment venues, large and small. I know the Jaguars suck but we do have an NFL team if that interests you. We have a AA baseball team who plays in a great park. We have a 14k seat arena, two great theatres, a few cool clubs and a 25 minute drive to St. Aug lies one of my favorite little amphitheatres in the country.
    - Close proximity to other cities...20 minutes from St. Augustine, 2 hours from Orlando, 3 hours from Tampa, 5 hours to Atlanta. We are also only about an hour and half from Live Oak which has a gorgeous park that holds 4-5 stellar music festivals every year (Mag Fest, Wannee, Spring Fest, Bear Creek - this is my all time favorite setting for live music). We are also about an hour an a half from the fresh water springs of central florida which are a must visit if nearby. Great camping, pristine nature and gorgeous waters)
    - St. Johns River - the further south you go on the St. Johns the more creeks and tributaries there are for playing on the water
    - Slight change in seasons....south florida has NO winter, but we get a little chilly in Jan/Feb. It does get HOT in summer though ,but that's the case anywhere in FL
    - Beer: We are quickly growing as a great craft beer city. Nowhere near Tampa but we have 7 local breweries with lots more sprouting up
    - Seafood: Its fresh and its everywhere.
    - Growing health minded community: lots of runs, races and walks (the Gate RIver RUn is the largest 15k in the country)
    - St. JOhns River & Intracoastal Waterway: Two other great waterways which lend themselves to more water sport and recreation opportunities.
    - Airport: Jax is an international airport but never ever very crowded. It's a 20-30 minute drive from most parts of town and you never have to arrive super early for a flight. I love our airport.

CONS:
    - public transportation is nearly non-existent. You will drive a lot just through town. The running joke is that it takes 20 minutes to get anywhere in Jacksonville.
    - August - It seriously gets hotter than donkey nuts here in August...it's not so much the heat but the humidity. But taking a dip in the atlantic helps
    - Downtown: We are making huge efforts (with some positive effect) to make our downtown more of a destination, but right now its still more of a business district and can be dead at night or on the weekends.
    - Rednecks: We have our share of hillbillies and pick up trucks here but it's not that bad...you will most likely find them everywhere in FLorida in some shape or form. (no offense to any of you hillbillies out there)

All in all I love where I live and would be more than happy to share more details if you are the least bit interested.

You should share your interests so we can all give advice based on what you're really looking for in a place to live.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Pick an area where there are no crazy people .... hmmm .... Have you considered New Mexico?
    Jason P said:

Pick an area where there are no crazy people .... hmmm .... Have you considered New Mexico?

Heh. Or the moon, for that matter!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    edited January 2014
    I've been living in Miami Beach for the last two years (from NY/NJ for 45 years prior to that).. It's an amazing scene.. Great food and culture BUT
    REALLY EXPENSIVE (and I do pretty well, so take that into consideration)
    If you want more realistic living expenses look at Broward
    Not great for families as most people who live here are transients, so not great "family neighborhoods"
    The job market is weird and heavily in resort vacation type of businesses
    The schools are HORRIBLE
    And it's very hard to find friends... Most people are on their vacations lol

But I am really happy, because the weather and the proximity to my job afford me a much less stressful environment than working in NY.. so there's that,... and I am in the best shape I have ever been... keeping up with those hot people is HARD lol
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    after shoveling snow off the driveway again, in 2 degree, -14 windchill, I begin having thoughts of moving somewhere warm. maybe for the right job....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889

Dankind, I've been dying to explore the gulf coast...only been there a few times. I am planning on a kayak trip this summer, so I will use some of your advice, thanks!

And yes, Stuart is pretty cool too. Surfing is decent in Jupiter and definitely gets better as you head north towards Sebastian.

PjSoul, I am not a fan of most of Miami either, but my best friend lives in Coral Gables (south, south Miami) and that area is pretty sweet, but pricey! And Miami does have the nude beaches :)) X_X

Vancouver has a nude beach too, so that alone is not gonna get me down there. [-( image
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    dankind said:

RKCNDY said:

Love Sanibel for a little getaway. Orlando used to be a little artsier/edgier than it is now. I liked it back then. There is still a great regional theatre there as well as one of the best record stores in the state.

You can't really escape the humidity unless you are on the beach. The breeze sort of cancels it out.
    when u say "back then", how many years ago are you talking about?

I've noticed in the past few years Orlando's picked up in many positive ways. Art galleries/entertainment, a decent music scene, lots of underground activities etc.

I've also noticed an influx of 20/30 something's around town these days.
    Idris said:

dankind said:

RKCNDY said:

I've noticed in the past few years Orlando's picked up in many positive ways. Art galleries/entertainment, a decent music scene, lots of underground activities etc.

Early '90s. Yab Yum, The Edge, Firestone, etc.

One of my dearest friends lives downtown and takes me around when I visit. It's just a little cleaner and definitely more monied than it used to be, which isn't always a positive thing for a broke-ass dirtbag like me.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    dankind said:

Idris said:

dankind said:

RKCNDY said:

One of my dearest friends lives downtown and takes me around when I visit. It's just a little cleaner and definitely more monied than it used to be, which isn't always a positive thing for a broke-ass dirtbag like me.
    hahahaha...that's when I was in Orlando, '93.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    dankind said:

Idris said:

dankind said:

RKCNDY said:

True, I get your point, absolutely right about the 'monied' part, I think its going to continue in that direction. Having said that, its not all negatives, in the sense that this newer generation of people in Orlando will be (overall) pretty positive for the Orlando.
    I'm also kinda excited about the new MLS team,

In the early/mid 2000s late 90s I accused Orlando of not having much (any) soul, not being a real city, but its changing to a degree. I think the next 5-10 years are gonna be telling times for Orlando.

Things tend to be changing quickly, but like you said, just throwing money at it surely is not the answer.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    We moved to Florida from upstate NY a about four and a half years ago. I love the change. The weather is beautiful most of the year, there's a lot of water (we're in Tampa by the bay) and plants grow like crazy here!

If you're trying to get away from cold, depressing, dark winters, you'll like it.

It's not just the change in weather, but it's the mood of the place. The sun gets people outside and it seems like a more active place because of that.

I know Florida has a bad reputation because of the news but I've found it to be a good place to live!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Thanks everyone for your time. I think JP summed it up for me for the East Coast and HeWhoForgets summed it up for the guldf coast. I think we are leaning towards the East Coast but will definitely check out places like Madeira Beach and Cortez. I love to fish, and grew up in one of the largest and oldest fishing ports in the U.S., plus all my ancestors, dad, and uncle were fishermen. Kinda in my blood. I love to fish but hate seafood. I think its just the mystery of what I may pull up or how big it is.

I don't have a lot of interests. I don't drink. I guess I sorta of live for the real moments and beauty of nature and everything it gives. I love the unknown and mystery. I'm pretty young at 31 but I am sort of an old man. I flew to Florida a few years ago primarily just to search for treasure on the "treasure coast" not that I wanted to get rich but just the excitement of finding something. I also went to Deluna Fest in Pensacola. Pensacola was amazing and is bar far one of the greatest places I have been for beaches and atmosphere, its just too far away from everything else in Florida.

I love to relax on the beach and meeting new people that can keep it honest and interesting. People that are easy going. I feel like I used to be one of these people but then I moved to Boston and it absolutely ruined me. I want to be humble again, watch the stars at the beach at night. I think about 15 years ago I went to Key Largo for a night. It was amazing just to be on the water at night, so warm, and all the stars and lights out on the water. I was truly inspired then. Oh an I love music, seen PJ over 30 times (love the 90's seattle bands), rock music, and more laid back stuff like Jack Johnson, Jimmy Buffet, and Reggae.

I'm not really into foods of many cultures or foods in general. I just don't do well with spices and my taste buds are non-existent.

I did notice on my trip to Vero Beach that it seemed there was not a good sub/pizza shop to be found. Maybe it was just the location.

I think I will definitely stay away from Tampa as traffic will most definitely make me want to kill myself.

Im thinking Delray area is probably going to be the area. As it will only be a few hours to travel north to Daytona for NASCAR, Orlando for the attractions, Vero for Spanish Silver, South to Miami for some Panther Hockey games, and easier to get to the Keys than if we were more North or on the West Coast.