03. Hail Hail
04. Got Some
05. MInd Your Manners
06. Given To Fly
07. Big Wave
08. Corduroy
09. Lightning Bolt
10. Even Flow

(Ed introduces band. He says the next song was “written under an open sky and sounds best when played under one.” He goes on to say that when the band arrived in Australia the person at customs greeted them “with a ‘have a great fucking time! See you tomorrow.’ So I know she is here tonight. This goes out to your great ambassador Lisa.”

11. Unthought Known
12. Sirens w/ sing along outro
13. Down

(“This one goes out to Cosmic Psychos who played earlier and also to our next door neighbors Mudhoney. This is for their current bass player Guy and their old bass player Lukin.”)
14. Lukin
15. Not For You/Modern Girl-(Sleater-Kinney)
16. Let The Records Play
17. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 1

(Ed talks about the moon which he knows is out but can’t see it. He talks about how the moon does strange things to people and tides. He notes they have never played a festival in Australia before but he is happy to be here and it looks like the audience is being treated well. He dedicates the next song to the moon and to the audience)

18. Yellow Moon
19. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
20. Mother-(Waters)

(“From Mother to Daughter.”

21. Daughter (sings the line “It’s Okay” but not the Dead Moon version)
22. Jeremy

(Ed says” there is someone here that we have seen at a bunch of shows. I should know his name.” He asks the person if they have a request. Once Ed gets the request he tells the audience, “Okay, if you don’t know it it is his fault.”
23. Sad

(Ed mentions that so many great surfers have come from Australia. He brings out Mick Fanning and his friend and fellow surfer “Aki”. He dedicates the next song to them.)

24. Betterman/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
25. Porch

Encore Break 2

26. Alive
27. Rockin’ In The Free World

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :-bd
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    DM76DM76 Posts: 54
    What a night.... Flew into gold Coast from Adelaide.

First time I've been to a PJ concert by myself... The band was simply sensational

Set list was Unreal for a festival show.

DTE as an opener sent the place nuts.... PJ literally cranked the first note as arcade fire finished.... Caught the whole place by surprise.

Porch was memorable, as are all the songs. 27 songs at a festival is unheard of in oz

I love them and still have 2 shows to go.

ZITO PEARL JAM
    1995 ~ Canberra NATEX 1998 ~ Thebarton Oval Adelaide 2003 ~ Adelaide 1 & 2 (Ent Centre) 2006 ~ Adelaide 1 & 2 (Ent Centre) 2009 ~ Adelaide (Adelaide Oval) 2009 ~ Melbourne (Etihad Stadiuml) 2011 ~ Eddie Vedder 1& 2 ( Thebarton Theatre) 2014~ Gold Coast ( Big Day Out) 2014~ Melbourne ( Big Day Out) 2014~ Adelaide ( Big Day Out)
  • Options
    Fabulous show. Packed in heaps for a festival and had the crowd eating out of their hands. Cracking 4 songs to open set the tone for the show.

Personal highlight was seeing Mother for the first time.

Thanks boys for another great set.

Call out to the fans upfront too....everyone seemed to have a ball but also respected each others space.

Gold Coast. tick.
    TenVsRhys
    1995 - Sydney Mar 10th, Melbourne Mar 18th, Brisbane Mar 21st and 22nd
    1998 - Melbourne Mar 3rd, Brisbane Mar 14th and 15th
    2000 - London May 29th and 30th
    2009 - Sydney Nov 22nd
    2011 - EV Brisbane Mar 12th, Sydney Mar 18th and Mar 19th
    2014 - Gold Coast Jan 19th, EV Sydney Feb 11th, 12th and 13th
    2016 - Fort Lauderdale Apr 8th, Miami Apr 9th
    2017 - EV London Jun 6th and 7th
  • Options
    axellaire8axellaire8 Belgium Posts: 234
    Seems to be a good show and what a setlist for a festival!! Hope that they'll keep this kind of setlist for Werchter too!! =D>

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

EV: 2012: Amsterdam/2017: Antwerpen/2019: Bruxelles

• Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    I loved this show- ripped through the opening 4 songs and the band were on fire. They all seemed very at ease tonight , with Jeff and Mike having a great old time. I didn't feel like a short set and I agree that is was a great balance for a festival. Loved it!! Lukin into Not for You was Brilliant
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    awesome, I was in the front row and every one was respectful of each other. it was good to here 5 new tracks from LB as well as Mother and Sad Killer versions of Porch Rvm RITFW.
  • Options
    Brissy PhilBrissy Phil Brisbane, Australia Posts: 5
    edited January 2014
    Awesome show, thanks guys!

I was about 7th row initially but a few pilled up, shirtless meat heads saw to ruining the fun for everyone around them so I headed to the back for some air and space.

I am thankful for Pearl Jam maximising the amount of time to just knock out songs, having short gaps (if any) between songs, having a first encore break of no more than a minute and then not even having a second encore break, instead just playing through. Couldn't have been a better use of time.

And what I thought was really awesome was that the last chords of Arcade Fire hadn't even faded out yet (really) and DTE started blasting out. They were on task and festival ready! Never seen Ed look so buggered. They all worked so hard!

Respect. See you in Melbourne!
    Post edited by Brissy Phil on
    25 February 2014: Eddie Vedder, QPAC, Brisbane 23 February 2014: Eddie Vedder, QPAC, Brisbane 22 February 2014: Eddie Vedder, QPAC, Brisbane 26 January 2014: Big Day Out, Sydney Showgrounds, Sydney 24 January 2014: Big Day Out, Flemington, Melbourne 19 January 2014: Big Day Out, Metricon & Carrara Parklands, Gold Coast 12 March 2011: Eddie Vedder, QPAC, Brisbane 10 March 2011: Eddie Vedder, QPAC, Brisbane 25 November 2009: QSAC Stadium, Brisbane, Brisbane 11 November 2006: Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane 10 November 2006: Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane 8 November 2006: Acer Arena, Sydney 9 February 2003: Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane 8 February 2003: Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane 14 March 1998: Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane
  • Options
    are these bdoshows going to be released on bootleg? please say yes
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    Wasn't there but incredible start to the show. I missed this type of open on the US tour. Love the slow openers but sometimes you just beed to harness the energy of the crowd right away.
  • Options
    it was an awesome start Acarde fire hadnt finished their last note before Pearl Jam belted into DTE. Straight away you knew they meant business
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited January 2014
    Good rocking Setlist...:)
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 580
    Once again another awesome set list!

Roll on 8 July and Leeds, UK!
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Love the heavy start!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Yet another good show. Thats awesome that the customs person said that :))

Glad they gave her a shout out too!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    great set!!

thanks Kat!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    To everyone who whined about them doing BDO it was up there with some of the best PJ gigs I've seen. The atmosphere was awesome and felt just like every other PJ show with plenty of like minded fans around. Ed was rather loose but sounded fantastic and maintained a rather up tempo pace right through the night. They really delivered as always.
    The inbetween is mine.
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    good to hear you guys got them on time. it must have been out of their hands in auckland? or they didn't realise that they'd have no control over the end time after all and didn't wanna make the same mistake. lucky bastards getting sad!!
  • Options
    WickstaWicksta Posts: 100
    Yeah I think they wanted to make sure they didn't get caught short like in Auckland cause they were standing at the back of the stage ready to go for all of Arcade Fire's last song and as other people have said, AF hadn't even all left the stage when PJ raced out.
    PJ - Sydney 12 Mar 1998 - Sydney 11 & 14 Feb 2003 - Sydney 8 & 18 Nov 2006 - Sydney 22 Nov 2009 - Prague 2 Jul 2012 - Berlin 4 & 5 Jul 2012 - Stockholm 7 Jul 2012 - Copenhagen 10 Jul 2012 - Wrigley 19 Jul 2013 - Gold Coast 19 Jan 2014 - Melbourne 24 Jan 2014 - Sydney 26 Jan 2014 - Adelaide 31 Jan 2014 - Perth 2 Jan 2014 - Amsterdam 16 & 17 Jun 2014 - Milan 20 Jun 2014 - Trieste 22 Jun 2014 - Vienna 25 Jun 2014 - Berlin 26 Jun 2014 - New York City 1 & 2 May 2016 - Seattle 8 & 10 Aug 2018
    EV - Canberra 15 Mar 2011 - Sydney 18 Mar 2011 - Perth 7 & 8 Feb 2014 - Sydney 11,12 & 13 Feb 2014 - Melbourne 19 Feb 2014 - Brisbane 22, 23 & 25 Feb 2014 - London 6 Jun 2017 - Dublin 9 Jun 2017 
  • Options
    SchmaktSchmakt Charlotte Posts: 207
    The more I reflect on this, the happier I am. I flew over from NC for this show because it was on my birthday, and I'm glad I did . While there were certainly a good number of people who, for some reason, think they should be allowed to stand where I am standing if they just push me out of the way hard enough (God, I HATE festivals), it was, for the most part, fairly civil.

I thought the Arcade Fire set was really fantastic and, as others have said, having Pearl Jam just rip into their set immediately was amazing. Loved the fast start as well. Reminded me of being at Amsterdam I in 2012. Brilliant. What a great setlist for a festival too. Super stoked I finally got to hear Sad live and Mother was really great too. Everyone on stage sounded great; Ed looked like he was having a blast. I kind of wish they'd retire RitFW for a while, but if that's the only thing about which I can complain? Hell yeah. Loved the LB selections too... And Got Some! Yes. Just great. :)

Now if my luck can just extend until tomorrow morning so I can get my hands on a poster without dealing with the freaking ebay flippers... *fingers crossed*

Thanks Pearl Jam!
    Can't wait for June... see you in Sweden and Norway! :)
    2003-04-15: Raleigh, NC
    2003-04-16: Charlotte, NC
    2004-10-06: Asheville, NC
    2006-05-30: Washington, DC
    2006-08-29: Arnhem, The Netherlands
    2006-12-02: Honolulu, Hawaii
    2012-06-26: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    2012-09-22: Atlanta, GA
    2013-10-30: Charlotte, NC
    2014-01-19: Gold Coast, Australia
    2014-06-28: Stockholm, Sweden
    2014-06-29: Oslo, Norway
    2016-04-18: Hampton, VA
    2016-04-20: Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21: Columbia, SC
    2018-07-01: Prague, Czech Republic
    2018-07-03: Krakow, Poland
    2018-09-04: Boston, MA
    2020-07-15: Budapest, Hungary
    2020-07-17: Zurich, Switzerland
    2023-09-19: Austin, TX
  • Options
    BH98779BH98779 Brisbane Australia Posts: 1
    What an amazing set! I had an epic night surrounded by like minded fans who feel like they are apart of the religion that is Pearl Jam! I was lucky enough to be at the front on Mike's side. Love watching this man do his thing, he always looks like he is having the time of his life and that feeling is contagious! The only thing that bugged me was the Big Day Out organisers letting Arcade Fire run over by about 10 mins! They were meant to finish at 7:45 and didn't leave the stage until a little before 8:00... Pearl Jam definitely brought it though jumping straight in with DTE! I wish it didn't have to end. Occy and Mick Fanning getting up on stage to help the boys was pretty sweet moment too! Two of my all time fav surfers on stage with my favourite band of all time EPIC!!!! I can't wait to see Eddie doing his solo now!
  • Options
    How wasted was Occy!! I was a few rows back on Mike's side as well and he just does not stop. Jeff was the happiest and most playful I have seen for a long time as well. I enjoyed Arcade fire as we...but wanted them off as time was going over.
    I was praying whoever made the request for something different and Sad was a great choice!!
    What did people think of Beady Eye? I was actually suprised that I enjoyed them - Liam is such a cocky knob, but it was pretty funny I thought.

• Options
    Open with Evolution! Awesome! What a show. Privileged to have made it to the front again. Big Day Out was great, not a fan of PJ at festivals but everything worked out well and they played a full show like they would normally do if it was just them.
    Can't believe they played 'Sad' !! Can't wait for Eddie in Brisbane! imageimage
  • Options
    I was also on Mike's side about two deep, he was awesome, took about half the show before i could hear Stone though. There was a lot of pushing from people for the first 4 songs or so, settled down after that to a comfortable show. I thought the band hit there straps toward the second half of the show. Occy looked emotional when they played Betterman (dedicated to Kelly, Fanning, MR and Occy). BDO was pretty well organized , lots of water and people with sunscreen,even the food was good. Mother was a highlight (when mike comes in wow!! that tone) and RVM, just missed a few picks that came flying near me and my girl, all well hopefully get some in Sydney, Thanks PJ.:)
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,002
    So glad it was an aggressive start so it set a good tone for the night & great to see Mother live & most people seemed to have no idea what it was. Sad was amazing to hear live & the version of Not for You was the best i had seen live with such a great connection after Lukin. Only thing was Mike was very hard to hear from my side on occasions but Stone was crystal clear. That is why we keep coming back cause you always get a different set at every show. It will only get better for the rest of the BDO. My 10th show that is perfect for me.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    Kat said:

(Ed says” there is someone here that we have seen at a bunch of shows. I should know his name.” He asks the person if they have a request. Once Ed gets the request he tells the audience, “Okay, if you don’t know it it is his fault.”
    23. Sad

Good request Gus!
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options

Kat said:

23. Sad

Good request Gus!
    Awesome!!i know Gus is always on the rail!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    and im so glad everyone had a fantastic time,seems wasnt that bad that festival and all enjoy the show....2 hours and 22 minutes show for a festival is perfect and people are so lucky had so long set at a festival
  • Options
    loffy81loffy81 Posts: 153
    That was a great set from the boys, bring on melbourne!!!
  • Options
    Hey Guys - Was there a PJ 2014 tour poster for sale at the show? Anyone got pics - Im heading to Sydney -Dont want to carry poster around all day, but defo want one.
    hail hail
  • Options
    Anyone with an extra sticker from the show...looking for one.
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options

Hey Guys - Was there a PJ 2014 tour poster for sale at the show? Anyone got pics - Im heading to Sydney -Dont want to carry poster around all day, but defo want one.

I grabbed a poster early as I didn't want to miss out( they supplied poster tube with poster) and carried it all day- it wasn't too much of a pain to be honest and I was about 5th row on mikes side for the whole show. There was posters left at the end of the night though, but I didn't want to risk missing out- always get the poster of show attended.