Brady vs Manning?

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Manning

Although if Brady and Belichick came as a package, definitely them.

Not taking anything from Brady. A top 5 QB in the history of the NFL.

Its a few factors.
    You have the consistent body of statistics

Manning goes down and the Colts go into the toilet. Brady goes down and Matt Cassel goes 11-5

Bill Belichick and Brady together the entire time and on the same page. Manning has had numerous coaches and 2 teams

The head-to-head matchups always seemed on Brady's turf more than not. Also, the Hoody is the same mastermind who was able to stop the 1990 Bills in Super Bowl XXV. Its no surprise he can stamp out Manning. Also, quarterbacks do not play one another.

AFC South > AFC East over the past 13 years. The Patriots always walk into the playoffs and usually a bye with free wins vs Buffalo, Miami, and NY Jets.

You cant ignore the cheating aspect.

Its a personal observation based on a somewhat limited sample space, but I would be willing to bet Brady has a much higher of % of his yards YAC than Manning. For years he lived on the quick slant and long runs in a offensive gameplan machine (it does take a special QB to execute it though).

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    JimmyV said:

It will be very interesting if Brady makes it to the SB and loses for the third time in a row (after winning his first 3). 6 SB appearances is just insane. Hell, 5 is insane.

Eight AFC Championship games is insane too.

If the Pats lose on Sunday, or if they win and then lose the SB, there will be talking heads debating what that does to his legacy. It does nothing to his legacy. The career numbers are already staggering. He is the winningest post season QB in history. He and Belichick broke a record three or four years ago for most wins by a QB/Coach combo. They break their own record every time they win a game. Never gets talked about anymore because it is ho-hum. Whenever Brady retires and the full body of work is taken into account, his legacy is secure.

I'm too emotionally involved to fully appreciate how special Sunday is. Two of the greatest of all time on their sport's second biggest stage. That doesn't happen all the time. The last one was in January of 2007. After Sunday, the next one might be never.
    Belichick will always be a cheating scumbag and if he doesn't win another title I think he would be a bit tainted having not won another one after being convicted of cheating. and yes I am a bitter eagles fan who thinks that ahole stole the Super Bowl from us.

That being said the game has way more to do with Manning's legacy than Brady's. If Manning loses this game going to be hard to argue Manning over Brady. fair or not? I'm not sure but that's what is going to happen. A lot more pressure on Peyton in this game.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    The cheating thing was ridiculous in 2007 and is even worse today. Apparently it only helps you win the actual Super Bowl as Belichick has had a pretty impressive overall record since then. The commissioner said not to do it and they did, so yes they were wrong. But for as long as I can remember coaches and coordinators who speak into headsets always have covered their mouths when calling plays. Why? Because they know their opponent is watching. Spygate was ridiculously overblown.

As for the Eagles...you don't win too many Super Bowls with a QB throwing up on the field from nerves.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:

The cheating thing was ridiculous in 2007 and is even worse today. Apparently it only helps you win the actual Super Bowl as Belichick has had a pretty impressive overall record since then. The commissioner said not to do it and they did, so yes they were wrong. But for as long as I can remember coaches and coordinators who speak into headsets always have covered their mouths when calling plays. Why? Because they know their opponent is watching. Spygate was ridiculously overblown.

As for the Eagles...you don't win too many Super Bowls with a QB throwing up on the field from nerves.

never let the facts get in the way of your opinion. fact: only one coach/team ever convicted of doing it
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    Poncier said:

JimmyV said:

It will be very interesting if Brady makes it to the SB and loses for the third time in a row (after winning his first 3). 6 SB appearances is just insane. Hell, 5 is insane.

Eight AFC Championship games is insane too.

If the Pats lose on Sunday, or if they win and then lose the SB, there will be talking heads debating what that does to his legacy. It does nothing to his legacy. The career numbers are already staggering. He is the winningest post season QB in history. He and Belichick broke a record three or four years ago for most wins by a QB/Coach combo. They break their own record every time they win a game. Never gets talked about anymore because it is ho-hum. Whenever Brady retires and the full body of work is taken into account, his legacy is secure.

I'm too emotionally involved to fully appreciate how special Sunday is. Two of the greatest of all time on their sport's second biggest stage. That doesn't happen all the time. The last one was in January of 2007. After Sunday, the next one might be never.
    Just to get as far as the Pats have gotten this year considering all the injuries, losing either Sunday or Groundhog's Day can't diminish Brady or Belichick's legacy. Imagine if Gronkowski, Wilfork, Mayo, Kelly, Vollmer and Spikes (let alone Hernandez) are all healthy and playing this weekend. The Pats would be the heavy odds on favorites to win the Super Bowl instead of 4th choice in Vegas.
    Should they somehow win the next 2 games, it will be Belichick's best coaching job ever and possibly the best single season head coaching job in NFL history to hold this team together considering the injuries and adversity (the Hernandez situation alone in training camp could have easily subverted many teams' season before it got started)
    i'd say it's already his best coaching job. the way he adapts to his personnel is unlike anything we've seen.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

never let the facts get in the way of your opinion. fact: only one coach/team ever convicted of doing it
    Yep, and the fact is that the Pats have won quite a few games since Belichick was "convicted". Spygate is such a hilarious last resort argument. If you are doing it in clear view of your opponent it should be fair game, anyway. Think your opponent has your signs? Change them up. In baseball signs have been stolen from second base for more than a hundred years. It was an overblown scandal.

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

Yep, and the fact is that the Pats have won quite a few games since Belichick was "convicted". Spygate is such a hilarious last resort argument. If you are doing it in clear view of your opponent it should be fair game, anyway. Think your opponent has your signs? Change them up. In baseball signs have been stolen from second base for more than a hundred years. It was an overblown scandal.
    yes they have but never that last one. even with the best QB of all time. if belichick doesn't win another one...
    pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

yes they have but never that last one. even with the best QB of all time. if belichick doesn't win another one...
    ...he'll only have three.

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

...he'll only have three.

and he'll always be a convicted cheater. can't erase that.

back on topic: do you agree this game will be much more on Manning's legacy than Brady's though? if peyton doesn't win this one he is going to get ripped fairly or not.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    St. Louis Rams Super Bowl XXXVI Pregame Practice Walkthrough

~:>
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    JimmyV said:

It wasn't nerves, it was from Westbrook and LJ Smith dropping passes. Must have been some pretty bad evidence if they had to destroy it.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    I have always maintained that destroying the tapes was the forgotten first in the series of bad decisions we have seen from Roger Goodell. He was brand new on the job and he botched that bad.

JimmyV said:

I have always maintained that destroying the tapes was the forgotten first in the series of bad decisions we have seen from Roger Goodell. He was brand new on the job and he botched that bad.

or smartly covered it up since it could have been a scandal that brought the league to it's knees.
    pjhawks said:

back on topic: do you agree this game will be much more on Manning's legacy than Brady's though? if peyton doesn't win this one he is going to get ripped fairly or not.

If Manning does not win this game he will get ripped. But if he wins this and loses the SB he will also get ripped. I think Manning has more work to do on his legacy than Brady does. On that we agree.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I finally realized a few years ago that this a dumb arguement. We should just count ourselves lucky that we get to see two of the all-time greats go head-to-head once again.

Plus, everyone knows that Manning is the best that's ever played the game ... O:-)
    pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

or smartly covered it up since it could have been a scandal that brought the league to it's knees.
    Really? To it's knees? Hilarious.

"Smartly" is not a description I often hear of Roger Goodell.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,662
    JK_Livin said:

JimmyV said:

It wasn't nerves, it was from Westbrook and LJ Smith dropping passes. Must have been some pretty bad evidence if they had to destroy it.
    I thought it was a bad can of (blow) Chunky Soup his Mom fed him at halftime.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

yes, so you don't think video evidence of the most watched and most bet on American sporting event every year being essentially 'fixed' would have been a scandal in America that would have done unduly harm to the league is possible? hell the Rutgers basketball coach throwing balls at his players was on the news 24-7 for about a week. video evidence of cheating to win the super bowl? newsworthy of epic proportions. like the black sox. that's most likely the reason the evidence was destroyed. literally no other reason to destroy the evidence other than making sure no one ever sees any of it. not sure how you can dispute that.
  • oysterjaroysterjar Posts: 1,235
    Given the build up of "oh how much the Patriots have done with nothing" this year it would seem acceptable for the Pats to lose, although it will not be very helpful for Brady's legacy to lose to Peyton. If Peyton doesn't win another superbowl he won't be considered Toms equal.

Wind this thing up.

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

yes, so you don't think video evidence of the most watched and most bet on American sporting event every year being essentially 'fixed' would have been a scandal in America that would have done unduly harm to the league is possible? hell the Rutgers basketball coach throwing balls at his players was on the news 24-7 for about a week. video evidence of cheating to win the super bowl? newsworthy of epic proportions. like the black sox. that's most likely the reason the evidence was destroyed. literally no other reason to destroy the evidence other than making sure no one ever sees any of it. not sure how you can dispute that.
    The Boston Herald retracted and actually apologized for its story claiming there was a videotape of the Rams walkthru. To my knowledge that is the most serious accusation from any credible source.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/boston-herald-spygate-story-false-apologizes-article-1.327372

They filmed their opponents signals and they paid a price for it. Pretending there was anything more to it is a happy fantasy.

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

The Boston Herald retracted and actually apologized for its story claiming there was a videotape of the Rams walkthru. To my knowledge that is the most serious accusation from any credible source.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/boston-herald-spygate-story-false-apologizes-article-1.327372

They filmed their opponents signals and they paid a price for it. Pretending there was anything more to it is a happy fantasy.

that dude has been salty about this for an entire decade. i'm an eagles fan too but i recognize the thing was blown out of proportion and it's not the reason they lost. rational thinking goes out the window sometimes with some people.

our baseball team in this town was even warned by mlb to stop stealing signs from the bullpen and phoning them into the dugout a few years ago but he never brings that up:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/12/phillies-warned-by-mlb-to-stop-stealing-signs/

teams have been doing these types of things in all sports since sports were invented.

sunday cannot get here fast enough.
    www.myspace.com
  • oysterjaroysterjar Posts: 1,235

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

that dude has been salty about this for an entire decade. i'm an eagles fan too but i recognize the thing was blown out of proportion and it's not the reason they lost. rational thinking goes out the window sometimes with some people.

our baseball team in this town was even warned by mlb to stop stealing signs from the bullpen and phoning them into the dugout a few years ago but he never brings that up:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/12/phillies-warned-by-mlb-to-stop-stealing-signs/

teams have been doing these types of things in all sports since sports were invented.

Its called being competitive, get away with what you can, when you can. Everyone in every sport is doing something to gain and advantage. Players are still using 'roids even after it was looked down upon by society and leagues (I hate the Yankees with severe passion but Arod was the goat {IMO the league let him get away with it for years because he brought in $ and made baseball more entertaining}). It is about being the best any team or individual could possibly be. That will never change and players/teams will never stop doing everything they can to gain an advantage, right or wrong.

Wind this thing up.

• going with manning this time
    san antonio tx 2003
    austin tx 2009
    EV san antonio tx 2011
    dallas tx 2013
    austin tx 2014

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

good to have reiterate that you are ok with your Eagles team being cheated in the Super Bowl. now give me one rational reason the evidence was destroyed other than it being so incriminating the NFL felt it had to be destroyed before it got out.

should I get over Leon Stickle fucking the Flyers in the 1980 Stanley Cup Finals too?

as for this weekend I like Denver and San Fran.
    edited January 2014
    pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

good to have reiterate that you are ok with your Eagles team being cheated in the Super Bowl. now give me one rational reason the evidence was destroyed other than it being so incriminating the NFL felt it had to be destroyed before it got out.

should I get over Leon Stickle fucking the Flyers in the 1980 Stanley Cup Finals too?

i'm just rational about it. it's upsetting they lost but to blame it on another team cheating is just silly. the eagles didn't play their best game and they lost to a better team. plus it's been 10 years. i moved on a decade ago. after all this time, i'm more upset that they blew the tampa game because they would have steam rolled the raiders.

how come you have never railed against the phillies over the 2010 thing? they were also accused of the same thing multiple times in the years leading up to that, including '08. if you are taking such a hard stand against new england, one would think your same moral standard would apply to the phils...unless you're a hypocrite.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,662
    edited January 2014
    Its great that every time the Patriots have a big game, some folks decide to bring up Spygate while their opponents the Denver Broncos got a fine almost double what the Patriots got and lost a draft pick for cheating the salary cap in 3 successive seasons, 2 of which coincidentally ended with Bronco Super Bowl victories and nobody ever brings that up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1883127

Because the public adores a goober driving a Buick and abhors Bill Belichick I guess.

ETA, that's right I forgot, they were fined just short of a million twice, and lost draft picks on two occasions:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28969-2004Sep17.html
    Post edited by Poncier on
    This weekend we rock Portland
    If the Patriots had seven defensive backs over two season get suspended for "adderall" it would have been the biggest story of the season.

If another team had gotten caught recording the signals of their opponent that were being displayed in clear view on the field of play it probably doesn't even lead off SportsCenter.

edited January 2014

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

i'm just rational about it. it's upsetting they lost but to blame it on another team cheating is just silly. the eagles didn't play their best game and they lost to a better team. plus it's been 10 years. i moved on a decade ago. after all this time, i'm more upset that they blew the tampa game because they would have steam rolled the raiders.

how come you have never railed against the phillies over the 2010 thing? they were also accused of the same thing multiple times in the years leading up to that, including '08. if you are taking such a hard stand against new england, one would think your same moral standard would apply to the phils...unless you're a hypocrite.
    because I think there is a big distinction between sending someone out to hide and secretly tape practices as opposed to reading lips or using binoculars in the stadium during the game. it's the difference between the NSA/CIA bugging your phone to listen to your conversations as opposed to you talking on a phone in a public place and others get to hear your conversation. one is underhanded and devious and the other is open to the public. and frankly I don't like belichick personally even a little bit. and the phils weren't caught doing it in a championship game and the league didn't suppress or destroy any incriminating evidence. you still didn't answer my question about what rational reasoning did the NFL have for destroying the evidence. only one reason to do that. to cover it up.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

because I think there is a big distinction between sending someone out to hide and secretly tape practices as opposed to reading lips or using binoculars in the stadium during the game. it's the difference between the NSA/CIA bugging your phone to listen to your conversations as opposed to you talking on a phone in a public place and others get to hear your conversation. one is underhanded and devious and the other is open to the public. and frankly I don't like belichick personally even a little bit. and the phils weren't caught doing it in a championship game and the league didn't suppress or destroy any incriminating evidence. you still didn't answer my question about what rational reasoning did the NFL have for destroying the evidence. only one reason to do that. to cover it up.
    Every word here oozes hypocrisy, man. Painfully obvious.
    www.myspace.com