Options

Confront, Combat and Defeat Anti-Semitism in Every Form

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianlux said:

It seems like the lyrical version of Krauthammer's letter. Its the classic hasbara argument. Even for artistic merit, I am going to have to pass on anything Bob for me. Bob Dylan, Soundgarden, pixies, etc. don't know and for them it maybe easy for them to not want to know. I can not respect that. I want them to come to the other side of the wall, to walk in the rubble of demolished homes, to pick out the toys and pieces of homework left behind by children who are now landless and robbed of any similitude of a normal life. Maybe they can visit the young boy not far from a relative's house who was paralyzed because he was shot with the more "humane" rubber bullet. No bob, not the "neighborhood bully." Why would anyone think that.

A few things worth remembering-
    - Dylan wrote those words 31 years ago.
    -and this: "Here's the thing with me and the religious thing. This is the flat-out truth: I find the religiosity and philosophy in the music. I don't find it anywhere else...I don't adhere to rabbis, preachers, evangelists, all of that. I've learned more from the songs than I've learned from any of this kind of entity." (Gates, David, October 6, 1997. "Dylan Revisited". Newsweek.)

And of course the idea that we should make up our own minds and not let big name personalities make them up for us. I'm not taking sides with Israel here, I'm just pointing out that this picture is bigger when put into historical perspective.

War, religious fanaticism, nationalism, greed, earth abuse. It's all part of the same fucked up human condition.

I see what you are saying. But for me, I don't think I can disconnect the connection that I felt which made me become a fan in the first place, the words and music, there is something that is coming out there and hitting me and I want to know what this person or these people who have made me feel any emotion, happiness, anger, relief, anything, communicating that very human condition which can be so ugly with truth and beauty, have to say. I want to relate and understand and connect, and share what is good, so I am going to listen and want to hear. Which is not far from the Dylan quote, I think? I agree that they should not make up our minds for us, but what they say and do is important because of that connection. I also agree there is a bigger picture and some of us were born more political than others, but our singular parts in the human collective have meaning and can resonate or maybe more appropriately reverberate. Culture and arts are a part of society, and artists' expressions and participation in non-violent forms of resistance, such as boycott, have made waves in the movements to free South Africa of apartheid and in the civil rights movement in the US.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168

"Wholly responsible" You see that is the reason the Middle East will never have peace. Your biased judgment has rendered you blinders so you can't even acknowledge the faults of the side you take. It's pointless to try and have a conversation with someone that refuses to see the other sides perspective. I wish you well.

you can not be objective in this situation.

the israeli government is breaking international law. point blank, plain and simple. if you disagree with that fact i would like you to explain why you do not view it that way when most of the UN member states have repeatedly voted on resolutions to condemn israel's action relating to the palestinian conflict. the settlements are in direct violation of international law.

how about i move onto your front yard and gradually start taking more and more of your property and we will see how long it takes you to start retaliating against me. then you will know what the palestinians are going through right now. if you can not see why i say israel is the whole problem in this situation then you are not paying attention. the palestinian offenses against israel are in retaliation for israel stealing their land and expanding settlements.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    "Gimme" You ignore anything stated that goes against what you believe . Of course, you are right. Anyone that doesn't believe in the same thing as you are completely wrong. I've seen your other posts in this forum and you are obviously a strong opinionated person. Which will ultimately make you right.. Key word is opinionated...
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    So all Jews are Israelis? And there are people that hate all Jews because of some land dispute?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options

"Gimme" You ignore anything stated that goes against what you believe . Of course, you are right. Anyone that doesn't believe in the same thing as you are completely wrong. I've seen your other posts in this forum and you are obviously a strong opinionated person. Which will ultimately make you right.. Key word is opinionated...

you have not been paying attention to what i post on here. if you actually pay attention, i have done over a thousand posts on here where i have posted articles backing me up. so my opinions are validated. i am looking at the cause and effect, the action and the reaction.. you aren't. you are not looking at the big picture. you are not seeing that the united states allows israel to keep stealing land and expanding settlements. the united states gives over $3 billion in military aid to israel each year. you can fact check me if you want to.

to say that both sides are equally responsible would be like blaming black south africans for apartheid. by blaming the palestinians, you are essentially saying that.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    and to add, how long would it take you to violently act against me if i moved on to your front yard and started bullding a settlement there or worse, bulldoze your home and burn your olive grove? i can do that, because i have a powerful friend that allows me to do so...

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Time for another bump
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    How about Confronting, combating, and defeating racism in every form? Including Israeli racism towards Palestinians and other Arabs?
  • Options
    groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
    I am not anti-Semitic in any way, but I do not feel that that means I have to support every policy or action of Israel or support them no matter what, or risk being labelled anti-Semitic.

As an analogy, I am Indian by heritage, but I abhor the current Indian government support/enforcement of anti homosexual legislation ( a leftover from the Colonial era). This does not mean that I hate or look down on Indians.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763

and to add, how long would it take you to violently act against me if i moved on to your front yard and started bullding a settlement there or worse, bulldoze your home and burn your olive grove? i can do that, because i have a powerful friend that allows me to do so...

Never. Acting violently is wrong.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 said:

Never. Acting violently is wrong.
    This is 'fluff'.

It sounds good and al-l and I understand Tibetan monks subscribe to it- but unfortunately, some acts demand a violent response.

Do you think people's response to Germany's tyrannical invasion of Poland, Norway, Belgium, France et al should have been a shoulder shrug while uttering, "Why ya gotta be that way?"
    "My brain's a good brain!"