Options

The Concerned About Ed's Drinking Thread

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I would like to know if ed gets angry when he calls directv and has to push 1 for English.
  • Options
    Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    I understand that nuanced conversation has been more and more difficult to have, especially here on the internet, but I'm going to go ahead and jump in anyway on the unpopular side because I'm an idiot.

I was thinking this same thing and I didn't bring it up, but now that it's happened...here goes.

I started thinking about this after the Oakland show. I know if you go to the reviews you'll see tons of good stuff and it was long and who cares if Ed screws up, etc.

But that show wasn't good for Pearl Jam standards (please don't take off from here and tell me how lucky and spoiled I am, that's besides the point). The main reason is Ed seemed to have partied or something before the show. He messed up more than normal and was unclear (unclearer than usual) during his speeches and interacting with the crowd strangely. It really gave the whole show a strange and not completely enjoyable vibe. But it was cool because then I went on to Portland and Spokane, and those shows were outstanding.

But the next thing I thought about was Ed drinking Gatorade out of the wine bottle in Spokane (you could see that it wasn't wine, unlike what was in the big bottle). Why use a wine bottle? Is there an image concern? If so, what is that image and why?

And of course Ed's a big boy and can do what he wants. But if it was your brother or father or adult son, you wouldn't still be concerned? I think the fact that people are concerned is a result of the closeness and the realness that drew many of us into this band and that closeness still exists, for better or for worse.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I'm pretty sure the stuff he drinks is so carefully and expensively made it can be considered medicinal. :D
  • Options
    The "Is this thread for real?" comment.

We have finally reached rock bottom....
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Huh?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Even if it was two bottles over 3 hours, I could do that in my sleep.

he takes a few swigs, spills the other half and gives the rest to the people up front.

It is hight blown out of proportion.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    This has to win worst thread I've ever seen. :fp:
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    So what? Maybe he's a 'social drinker' or likes to drink on stage. I don't normally smoke, but when I go out to the bar, I can smoke a pack in a night and be done. <---also because I'm usually the DD, and don't handle my alcohol very well.

So maybe Ed doesn't drink during his 'off time'...who are we to judge? He's a big boy and can make big boy decisions for himself.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    worry of your own shit before you worry of others....he is a grown man and can and will do what he wants
    ajb
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,940
    I personally won't be happy until Ed is going to regular AA meetings and as his sponsor I expect him to call me daily for the first year. After that just during shows whenever he gets the desire to throw it all away and have a drink (or they are playing Crazy Mary).
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    Spags wrote:
    I personally won't be happy until Ed is going to regular AA meetings and as his sponsor I expect him to call me daily for the first year. After that just during shows whenever he gets the desire to throw it all away and have a drink (or they are playing Crazy Mary).

:lol:
    Now people can't bitch about him smoking anymore they need to find something new I guess. It's still none of our business.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Shit, back in 2000 Ed being hammered and drunk on stage was the norm. Can't tell you how many times I saw him puke on the side of the stage or face plant on stage cuz he was shit faced. He's having fun, just like all the 20,000 people at the shows. Well, all except Stoner! 8-):lol:
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Kathi wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the stuff he drinks is so carefully and expensively made it can be considered medicinal. :D

Exactly, you cannot call anyone drink who is inhaling that quality stuff. Actually, you should wish some of that stuff for your own . 8-)
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    First, it is Ed's decision on how nuch he drinks during the shows.
    To me, Ed's constant drinking in front of the audience just looks like a desperate cry for attention, like an atempt to be cool.
    Others might see it different and find it great.
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    Ok I get that you're concerned but....

Look at rule #5 on the "Posting Guidelines"

-The bands personal lives are private.
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    I wanna rock n roll all night and part of every day ......

It's PARTY every day, D. I don't think KISS wants to party for a perhaps a few minutes here and there.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

It's PARTY every day, D. I don't think KISS wants to party for a perhaps a few minutes here and there.

Wow that went right over your head. lol
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    I'm sure it's been said already, but IBTL.

None of our business.
  • Options
    Ed doesn't drink that much on stage. He maybe drinks a bottle at most, a lot of people do that everyday.
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    I'm concerned that when Ed wears a buttoned-up flannel shirt, and then he rolls the sleeves up above his elbows, he may roll it too tight.

That could cutoff circulation to his arms, you know. ;)

All kidding aside, we don't know the band members on a personal level. They don't appear to be engaging in self-destructive behavior but we all have our vices.

But how would you like this conversation to be had about you by other people around the water cooler at work?

Ibtl
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    He should drink more.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    It's similar to sharing some wine with your friends. The other guys have some swigs here and there, he spills a bunch, and gives a bunch to the crowd in the front. Could you not drink 2-3 bottles of wine over the course of 3+ hours? It's not that bad.

I'd be more concerned that he's putting Gatorade in his wine bottles. That's a little weird.
  • Options
    Doesn't everyone know that he's drinking to channel Mr Mojo Rison. Let the rock star be the rock star.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,272
    To me, Ed's constant drinking in front of the audience just looks like a desperate cry for attention, like an atempt to be cool.

:fp:

I don't know if you've noticed, but he's the front man for a rock band -- a really popular rock band. I think he already has our attention.

:lol:

IBTDeletion
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    IMO, I think it's sparkling nonalcoholic wine. And he slurs his speech towards the end of the show since his blood sugar is so high, cause he's glucose intolerant...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,272

:lol::lol::lol:

Um... no.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    This thread is why forums are mostly stupid.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Stop here...don't waste any more of your time reading this thread...why did I even post twice...WTF....I'm bored at work. :fp:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    One word: Singles Premiere Party...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    I don't know if you've noticed, but he's the front man for a rock band -- a really popular rock band. I think he already has our attention.
    Thank you!
    That also explains him drinking Gatorade out of a whine bottle. :fp:
This discussion has been closed.