Ed and his wine

YieldmanYieldman Posts: 119
edited December 2013 in The Porch
I love to follow the tour and read the fanviews and have noticed a lot of comments remarking that Ed needs to slow down on the wine, or Ed was totally drunk last night, etc. After seeing 5 shows in AZ and CA, with decent 10c seats in the wings each night, I understand but do not agree with these comments. Ed seems to always be holding a wine bottle and takes regular swigs from it, but truth be told, he also pours much of it into cups in the front row, or even gives the remainder of the bottles away to lucky fans!

Yeah, it looks like he's pounding the wine all night long... always bringing out a new bottle, etc. But I haven't seen the obvious signs of someone who's had too much to drink. I'm sure he's got a great wine buzz going for most of the show, especially the encores, which is great. The criticism, when noted in the reviews, I believe is due to the perception that he's been drinking a lot all night, and not based on actions of someone who really was in fact wasted: falling off the drum riser, constantly forgetting lyrics, etc. Instead I see a man who can handle his wine having a great time and doing a great job delivering these epic shows with his bandmates! Just my take.
M.Y.T.H.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I agree. Yeah, he stumbled upon a speaker in Philly, but so what? Is he not allowed to have some fun? I think he is doing good. He has Gatorade in one of his bottles, fer chrissake :P People need to chill.
  • I saw both LA shows and whatever he is doing seems to be working, his performances are top notch ;)
  • YieldmanYieldman Posts: 119
    I agree. Yeah, he stumbled upon a speaker in Philly, but so what? Is he not allowed to have some fun? I think he is doing good. He has Gatorade in one of his bottles, fer chrissake :P People need to chill.

Forgot to mention that - some of those bottles supposedly are filled with just thirst quenchers, not wine.
    M.Y.T.H.
  • He tripped in Philly because a kid in the front row was trying to get his attention. He missed the monitor and fell. I was at the Baltimore show as well and he didn't drink that much at all. I do not see this as a problem.
  • BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    This isn't the 2003 tour. Eddie and the boys are performing the best that they ever have. They have truly moved into legend land...

Gimme some of that wine - along with some truth.

Just don't gimme no lip!
  • TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    I think he's playing into the whole drinking too much to make himself look more like a rock star. We know its often water Ed, no need for games.
  • Preview: Re: Ed and his wine
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. I have always noticed Ed's drinking to be a problem. It's fun that he drinks and gives out wine to lucky fans. But when he is stumbling and falling down drunk, that could be an issue and concern to people like myself and I'm sure to a lot of other people that care about his health and well-being. My favorite video to watch is the show from Manitoba, Canada 08/14/1993. It's a lot of fun to watch as I have seen it dozens of times, just like most of us. He falling down and stumbling all over the place all while doing an outstanding performance, somehow. Edward Louis Severson III is an artist, an entertainer, a poet, and a performer. It's what he does, he reaches out to people like us and we love him for it.

In a PJ fan perspective, one of my more favorite things to do in the world is join with a good pair of headphones and the latest Pearl Jam bootleg purchase for the evening. Friends, roommates found me passed out next to the pool in the morning. Funny, yeah, but really? Not last February. Anyway, the reason you may be interested in this write up and that you too are into Pearl Jam, the band that would change your life forever.

The fact is, we take things like Ed's drinking for granted. I was in a coma back in February this year (2013) and my family was given the green light to let me go because my liver had shut down and I was in terrible, terrible health. I saw a few pictures of the guy, oh wait of myself, and that guy was yellow skinned from jaundice, looked about 15 years older, getting skinnier by the minute, and blue circles around his eyes. With my eye lids pulled open by a doctor, blood shot red eyes.

Well, there is some kind of energy in the world that we know nothing of, I beleive. I bounced back somehow and less than a year later, here I am. I stood at the longest show in PJ history for over 3 hours in Oakland, CA barely able to stand for such a long time in one place. My doctor told me that not even money could do what happened to me. The late great Mickey Mantle had the Yankee organization willing to pay for anything he needed to stay alive and healthy. He got a liver transplant, and passed shortly after. All the money in the world cannot help a sickness such as Alcoholism. It's a horrific disease that takes over a normal, intelligent person and puts you on the ride of your life (that would be me as a good example). As a university graduate, from a well off family, a professional job, and a competitor in the golf world, how the heck do you end up losing it all over a bottle? It's easy.

I went unemployed once again, met some new friends that sail yachts around the San Francisco Bay and the California West Coast. I've sailed since I was born, and for the first time, I found a reason to incorporate Grey Goose, Kettle One, Belvedere, and any other clear stuff to have some fun and not worry so much about the redundant job search. Alcoholism is all too easy when you surround yourself with a group of drinkers, cocaine users, and marijuana users. It seems okay, normal, and feels GREAT.

Long story short, I called my best friend's mother (a former nurse in Holland), and told her I needed to stop drinking but didn't know what to do. She told me she cannot live a day wondering what is going to happen to me, so she said her and her husband would drive me to the ER and get checked out at once. After being given a routine physical, they admitted me and I was treated for withdrawals. Then after a brief stint with the Grim Reaper, they gave me a medically induced coma to be able to stop and figure out what to do while keeping me alive on respirators before I died very shortly before the month of March would allow me to see the light of day again.

I was in ICU for 2 months and then released only a few weeks later because of my miraculous recovery all on the Alameda County Medical system in California. No health insurance, no job, and running through my savings account like a wildfire. Sure, family wanted to help but not if it were because of drinking my life away. People tend to ignore these type of problems (just like Layne Staley and his drug problems that he did it in privacy where he was found dead on his coach from an OD). I was never arrested, given a DUI, neither in any kind of trouble with the law. I was a quiet, and functional alcoholic. Hung over to all hell in the morning trying to get to work to stuff my face behind a newspaper during a meeting or taking a nap in my car before I had presentations and consultations to do on construction and sales management for the elitists of our society. How I did that, I have no answer. Perhaps, the fact that I had a bottle waiting for me on my granite countertop was the answer everyday after work? Maybe...

Ed is drunk on the stage and we all see it. It makes me wonder if anyone that is close to him has given him the 3rd degree about it yet. But either way, he seems to drink like a fish. We all know he has more support for himself than he knows what to do with. But in my case, I had one person in my life that helped me and get out of the war against alcoholism; my girlfriend Lisa. She helped me get the assistance I needed. The love and caring voice to help me feel like I was wanted in the world and depression is just a state of mind. Drinking is not the answer to anything when you drink a gallon of Vodka in a day and a half on a daily basis. It becomes second nature.

Sorry for the rant, but it's true and I'd hate to see Ed get into trouble with his health and have no way out. Realistically, I should be dead as of now. But I guess it wasn't my time. It's a very rocky, uphill, into the wind battle that I will face for the rest of my life, but a SOBER life no matter how hard it gets. As Jeff Tweedy from WIlco says, "on and on and on..."

Salude,

Bryan
    #30 coming up in Chicago at Wrigley Field in August 2015
  • Ed mentioned something in one of the recent videos and he said something to the effect of "drinking heavily every night will do that to you". I was in shock. I thought he only did that during tours. But he was referring to daily life. He also mentioned he has calmed that down, but jeezus.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • DPrival78DPrival78 Posts: 2,263
    gatorade in wine bottles, swinging on a light globe that hangs 2 feet above the stage and is fitted with a little platform to stand on and a strap to hold on to... enough of the schtick ed. go back to keeping it real.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • He's having fun. And doing ok. People need to learn to keep their noses out of everyone else's business. He's obviously holding his own. And yes many botes have Gatorade or other such replenishes in them. I think he's ok. Besides, what he does is between he and his family.. Not us.
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,709
    Maybe he could wait until after the shows to have a few beers/wines instead of before and during. Would be more respectful to the fans who put in a lot of money, time and effort to see their band. Thanks Ed. :)
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

• -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    I think Ed hams it up quite a bit for the crowd for fun...I don't think he would have been able to play the way he did the other night (at Sydney Big Day Out) for 2 hours & 45 minutes if he was actually drunk.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Does anyone know he's Favourite Wine?...Might try some Myself...lol
  • Preview: Re: Ed and his wine
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. I have always noticed Ed's drinking to be a problem. It's fun that he drinks and gives out wine to lucky fans. But when he is stumbling and falling down drunk, that could be an issue and concern to people like myself and I'm sure to a lot of other people that care about his health and well-being. My favorite video to watch is the show from Manitoba, Canada 08/14/1993. It's a lot of fun to watch as I have seen it dozens of times, just like most of us. He falling down and stumbling all over the place all while doing an outstanding performance, somehow. Edward Louis Severson III is an artist, an entertainer, a poet, and a performer. It's what he does, he reaches out to people like us and we love him for it.

In a PJ fan perspective, one of my more favorite things to do in the world is join with a good pair of headphones and the latest Pearl Jam bootleg purchase for the evening. Friends, roommates found me passed out next to the pool in the morning. Funny, yeah, but really? Not last February. Anyway, the reason you may be interested in this write up and that you too are into Pearl Jam, the band that would change your life forever.

The fact is, we take things like Ed's drinking for granted. I was in a coma back in February this year (2013) and my family was given the green light to let me go because my liver had shut down and I was in terrible, terrible health. I saw a few pictures of the guy, oh wait of myself, and that guy was yellow skinned from jaundice, looked about 15 years older, getting skinnier by the minute, and blue circles around his eyes. With my eye lids pulled open by a doctor, blood shot red eyes.

Well, there is some kind of energy in the world that we know nothing of, I beleive. I bounced back somehow and less than a year later, here I am. I stood at the longest show in PJ history for over 3 hours in Oakland, CA barely able to stand for such a long time in one place. My doctor told me that not even money could do what happened to me. The late great Mickey Mantle had the Yankee organization willing to pay for anything he needed to stay alive and healthy. He got a liver transplant, and passed shortly after. All the money in the world cannot help a sickness such as Alcoholism. It's a horrific disease that takes over a normal, intelligent person and puts you on the ride of your life (that would be me as a good example). As a university graduate, from a well off family, a professional job, and a competitor in the golf world, how the heck do you end up losing it all over a bottle? It's easy.

I went unemployed once again, met some new friends that sail yachts around the San Francisco Bay and the California West Coast. I've sailed since I was born, and for the first time, I found a reason to incorporate Grey Goose, Kettle One, Belvedere, and any other clear stuff to have some fun and not worry so much about the redundant job search. Alcoholism is all too easy when you surround yourself with a group of drinkers, cocaine users, and marijuana users. It seems okay, normal, and feels GREAT.

Long story short, I called my best friend's mother (a former nurse in Holland), and told her I needed to stop drinking but didn't know what to do. She told me she cannot live a day wondering what is going to happen to me, so she said her and her husband would drive me to the ER and get checked out at once. After being given a routine physical, they admitted me and I was treated for withdrawals. Then after a brief stint with the Grim Reaper, they gave me a medically induced coma to be able to stop and figure out what to do while keeping me alive on respirators before I died very shortly before the month of March would allow me to see the light of day again.

I was in ICU for 2 months and then released only a few weeks later because of my miraculous recovery all on the Alameda County Medical system in California. No health insurance, no job, and running through my savings account like a wildfire. Sure, family wanted to help but not if it were because of drinking my life away. People tend to ignore these type of problems (just like Layne Staley and his drug problems that he did it in privacy where he was found dead on his coach from an OD). I was never arrested, given a DUI, neither in any kind of trouble with the law. I was a quiet, and functional alcoholic. Hung over to all hell in the morning trying to get to work to stuff my face behind a newspaper during a meeting or taking a nap in my car before I had presentations and consultations to do on construction and sales management for the elitists of our society. How I did that, I have no answer. Perhaps, the fact that I had a bottle waiting for me on my granite countertop was the answer everyday after work? Maybe...

Ed is drunk on the stage and we all see it. It makes me wonder if anyone that is close to him has given him the 3rd degree about it yet. But either way, he seems to drink like a fish. We all know he has more support for himself than he knows what to do with. But in my case, I had one person in my life that helped me and get out of the war against alcoholism; my girlfriend Lisa. She helped me get the assistance I needed. The love and caring voice to help me feel like I was wanted in the world and depression is just a state of mind. Drinking is not the answer to anything when you drink a gallon of Vodka in a day and a half on a daily basis. It becomes second nature.

Sorry for the rant, but it's true and I'd hate to see Ed get into trouble with his health and have no way out. Realistically, I should be dead as of now. But I guess it wasn't my time. It's a very rocky, uphill, into the wind battle that I will face for the rest of my life, but a SOBER life no matter how hard it gets. As Jeff Tweedy from WIlco says, "on and on and on..."

Salude,

Bryan

Never noticed this thread before.

Bryan, this was a good, personal read. I hope you can continue your diligence and refrain from your corruption!

Good luck man.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, it's not even all wine. I've seen him drink it close up. He's hydrating a lot more than he is drinking wine, and passes out half of what actually is wine. I'd estimate that he drinks maybe half a bottle of wine during an average show. He is not a drunk (drunks don't perform that well). Sometimes he gets a good buzz on stage, which is totally appropriate for a rockstar.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • He was buzzing in Vancouver. I'd say he had a bit more to drink than half a bottle. I was okay with it- it assisted with his enthusiasm.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    DPrival78 said:

gatorade in wine bottles, swinging on a light globe that hangs 2 feet above the stage and is fitted with a little platform to stand on and a strap to hold on to... enough of the schtick ed. go back to keeping it real.

i agree 100% with this. at first the new stage set up was pretty cool but got old pretty quickly. ahhh, here comes porch. ed is going to swing around on these globes for a little bit, go six inches into the crowd, etc, etc, etc. yawn.

always appreciated how the band was such minimalists with their stage set up and performance. seems like they are trying to incorporate more 'show' into their routine and it's just all becoming a bit too predictable.
  • Thirty Bills Unpaid

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I haven't been on this forum for some time. "I'm still here"

Up and anyway from "corruption" Not sure about that word choice, but I think I get it. Thanks again for your time and attention and reading my words. It was really just a rant, but I have no one to blame except myself for my party lifestyle I have left in 2013...I didnt think I could still listen to PJ and go to shows without being drunk. Guess what? its 1000000000 times better

Be good to yourselves...

Bryan
    #30 coming up in Chicago at Wrigley Field in August 2015
  • jp307677jp307677 Posts: 417
    Ed can do whatever he wants, mind your manners. They're putting on the longest quality shows they ever have, I'm sure he's just fine
  • Some of the best shows I've ever seen. Ed was shit faced drunk. Some of the most mediocre shows I've seen, I suspect Ed had a little bit of a hangover. I know this because he was shit faced drunk 1 or 2 nights before and the show was kick ass. In the earlier days, like 91-96 I don't know what he was on if anything but whatever it was it was working great every night.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    Instead of acting like we know exactly what they're doing, I think we all could benefit from minding our own business regarding the band members' personal habits.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Drunk was Ed at the awards show in the PJ20 movie...that was hilarious...so lets look at it this way he doesn't get like that now so we are good
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    pjalive21 said:

Drunk was Ed at the awards show in the PJ20 movie...that was hilarious...so lets look at it this way he doesn't get like that now so we are good

The Singles promo show was fucking hilarious. That is by far the best part of PJ20, lol. "The birth of No." :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BH304897BH304897 Posts: 137
    I've always said to fellow fans that there was no way Ed drank nearly as much as is perceived. I'm sure he gets a good buzz on occasion but he's constantly running around, catching tambourines from the crew, etc during the last few songs. A few drinks, maybe but let's not act like he's Weiland up there. I've never heard the Gatorade reference before but it makes sense. The band isn't dumb, some things are for perception, if you want to rant at that aspect then go for it.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    What kind of wine does Ed drink? Pinot noir?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • DeamonDeamon Posts: 167
    mcgruff10 said:

He usually drinks Barolo, or at least he did a lot of the last couple tours and he says it's his favourite. As a Sommelier, I always seem to try to see what he's drinking whenever I'm close enough to the stage haha. He also used to drink Siduri Pinot Noir from California. I visited them once and they said they used to ship Eddie unlabeled bottles that he would drink on stage. But lately it's been various Barolos
    1998: Vancouver 7/19
    2005: Calgary 9/4
    2009: Calgary 8/8, San Diego 10/9
    2011: Calgary 9/21, Edmonton 9/23, Vancouver 9/25
    2012: Missoula 9/30
    2013: Calgary 12/2
    2014: Amsterdam1 6/16, Amsterdam2 6/17, Trieste 6/22, Berlin 6/26
    2016: Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto2 5/12
    2019: Dusseldorf 6/30 (EV)
    2022: Sacramento 5/18
    2024: Portland 5/10
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    It's waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy overblown
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    Deamon said:

mcgruff10 said:

He usually drinks Barolo, or at least he did a lot of the last couple tours and he says it's his favourite. As a Sommelier, I always seem to try to see what he's drinking whenever I'm close enough to the stage haha. He also used to drink Siduri Pinot Noir from California. I visited them once and they said they used to ship Eddie unlabeled bottles that he would drink on stage. But lately it's been various Barolos
    you are a sommelier? that is awesome! what part of the country are you from?
    i've never had a barolo since they are pretty pricey. i might get one since they occasionally go on sale on wtso.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • lolobugglolobugg Posts: 8,192

Thirty Bills Unpaid

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I haven't been on this forum for some time. "I'm still here"

Up and anyway from "corruption" Not sure about that word choice, but I think I get it. Thanks again for your time and attention and reading my words. It was really just a rant, but I have no one to blame except myself for my party lifestyle I have left in 2013...I didnt think I could still listen to PJ and go to shows without being drunk. Guess what? its 1000000000 times better

Be good to yourselves...

Bryan

I can totally relate to your struggles... went thru some of the same stuff last year.
    I used to think it was cool that Ed was fucked up... not anymore.
    I really hope that he has slowed down on his drinking and is staying hydrated.
    for himself and his family.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Drinking Gatorade out of a wine bottle is one of the stupidest things I've heard. Why not just drink Gatorade out of a Gatorade bottle or a plastic bottle??
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"