Options

PJ covering the Grateful Dead

Comments

• Options
    I'd trade indifference for Brokedown Palace to end any night.

They could also pull off Wharf Rat - plenty enough swears for Ed & crowd.
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    JK18472 wrote:

what pearl jam songs would you have liked the dead to cover?

Ledbetter
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    CM189191 wrote:
    It's like chugging orange juice after you've just brushed your teeth. Just don't go together imho.

Ole!
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    I'd love to see them play 'Franklin's Tower". I think they could really play that well.
  • Options
    PJ-10PJ-10 Senoia, Ga Posts: 6
    I've always thought Wharf Rat would be a perfect Dead cover for them
  • Options
    PJ-10 wrote:
    I've always thought Wharf Rat would be a perfect Dead cover for them

wow...that was my choice..what a great one to hear the fellas cover.

as a veteran of 142 Dead and Jerry Band shows this question has come up in conversations with my friends...so for shits and giggles heres my top 5:

brokedown palace
    feel like a stranger
    standing on the moon
    wharf rat
    we bid you goodnight

btw...if you can get a copy of 7-11-95 Chicago two nights after seeing the Deads last show they loaned PJ their stage and sound system....great show!!!
    Mans heart away from nature becomes hard.
    Put Life into living
    Greenville 2016 #114 for me
    12-6-1991 first show State Palace Theater, New Orleans
    "I can see the light, coming thru the clouds in rays!!!!"
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    yeah 'franklin's tower'
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    GD are awful :fp:
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • Options
    come to think of it, after listening to the dead for years, i think the only studio albums ive heard of theirs are "american beauty" and "terrapin station"

just dove head first into their live stuff to even bother with more studio albums.

Then i got involved with a lot of the vine trading on what i thought was their official website's forum. Cool way of trading stuff... then i discovered the torrent sites :shock: at the click of a button i would have entire dead tours. Holy soundboard bombardment! I should really try to update everything to flac :)

I was friends with a bunch of heads back in high school, mainly to party. I never understood. But now, years later I actually get it
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    certain GD song, how do i explain it, they just make me move. Honestly pj doesnt hit my soul like that, and thats crazy if you know me.

I can't wait until i have children. I tell my fiance (who can't stand the GD btw) how i can't wait to let our children listen to the dead.

*Mental picture of the little ones just moving their hips to, "Roll away...the Dew!" :mrgreen:
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    A lot of interesting choices in this thread. Someone a page or two back said Cream Puff War and I think that might be the winner. That would be right in their wheelhouse. They could rock that one out and play it fast and loud. Also some of the slower tunes from American Beauty or Workingman's Dead (Brokedown Palace, Uncle John's Band) could work too. Whart Rat would be incredible. That would be a boot I'd buy right away.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

if you're ignorant, they are
  • Options
    quimby20 wrote:
    As a veteran of over 80 Dead shows, Throwing Stones would be great. There are so many choices....
    Looks like Rain
    Black Muddy River
    Brokedown Palace
    Sugar Magnolia
    Scarlet Begonias

Shit the list is never ending....
    YES!!!!!

1992-8-18 Lollapalooza, Raleigh NC
    2012-11-24 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2012-11-25 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2013-10-27 Baltimore MD
    2013-10-29 Charlottesville VA
    2013-10-30 Charlotte NC
    2013=making up for lost time

[/img]
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    JK18472JK18472 Posts: 153
    Just heard lightning bolt on the jamband station on satellite radio. They have also been on the cover of relix magazine, great article if you haven't read it. Jambands are awesome and pearl jam,is a jam band.
  • Options
    lippy002lippy002 Posts: 120
    This thread made my day as it's my 2 favorite bands. One GD tune I didn't see mention that sounded right to me...Till the Morning Comes
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Anything off American beauty, ripple , box of rain, sugar magnolia. Touch of grey would be cool, now they do their acoustic encore. A dead song would fit perfectly between yellow moon and off he goes, just a thought..:)
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    mentioned throwing stones a while ago
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    edited September 2014
    rollings said:

if you're ignorant, they are
    Or if you just don't like them. No reason to put people down.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,640
    Black into Black Peter.
  • Options
    who has the info on when/where ed met jerry?
    i read about it on one of simon townshend's blogs but can't find that link now.
  • Options

I would LOVE to hear that story!!
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    Alright, I started thinking about songs that have been covered by both GD/Jerry Band and PJ/EV:

Rain
    I shall be released
    All along the Watchtower
    Forever young
    Baba Orielly
    .. and of course "jazz odyssey" :)

Some fancypants needs to make a cool mash-up!
    Your light made us stars
  • Options

http://www.simontownshend.com/2014/04/19/eds-kitchen/

is this the story? wish there was more!
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    TheGhost...that is indeed the link. TY
    i'm thinking that maybe through bill graham they somehow crossed paths that way...
    here's the story from simon's blog. if i ever happen to meet ed on the street i would have to find out how/where this happened.

in simon's words:
    "I’ll never forget the first time we met, he and Jerry Garcia were discussing songs from my debut album, Sweet Sound while I stood there with my jaw on the floor, speechless. Eddie leant forward and began singing into my ear the words to a favorite song from the album, Palace In The Air. Since then we’ve been good friends. We have a mutual respect for each others work. He, in my opinion, is the best artist that emerged from the nineties grunge scene out of Seattle. His voice is legendary and for me, the Into The Wild film soundtrack is some of his finest solo work. In May 2010 he joined The Who as special guest for the TCT Quadrophenia show at The Albert Hall, London, in September 2002 Pearl Jam played a double bill with us at the House of Blues, Chicago and in August 2009 I jumped up and played The Real Me with Pearl Jam at the Shepherds Bush Empire, London….. but we’ve have never had a chance to play any of my songs together which Ed has expressed an interest in doing over the years. There’s a strong chance this will happen when I perform at The Triple Door next Wednesday 23rd, amidst my US solo tour. I’m so psyched. It’s a dream come true for me and as Ed reminded me…. for him, too"
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    PJ should cover "Not Fade Away" I know its an original Buddy Holly song but The Dead cover my favorite version of it.
  • Options

TheGhost...that is indeed the link. TY
    i'm thinking that maybe through bill graham they somehow crossed paths that way...
    here's the story from simon's blog. if i ever happen to meet ed on the street i would have to find out how/where this happened.

in simon's words:
    "I’ll never forget the first time we met, he and Jerry Garcia were discussing songs from my debut album, Sweet Sound while I stood there with my jaw on the floor, speechless. Eddie leant forward and began singing into my ear the words to a favorite song from the album, Palace In The Air. Since then we’ve been good friends. We have a mutual respect for each others work. He, in my opinion, is the best artist that emerged from the nineties grunge scene out of Seattle. His voice is legendary and for me, the Into The Wild film soundtrack is some of his finest solo work. In May 2010 he joined The Who as special guest for the TCT Quadrophenia show at The Albert Hall, London, in September 2002 Pearl Jam played a double bill with us at the House of Blues, Chicago and in August 2009 I jumped up and played The Real Me with Pearl Jam at the Shepherds Bush Empire, London….. but we’ve have never had a chance to play any of my songs together which Ed has expressed an interest in doing over the years. There’s a strong chance this will happen when I perform at The Triple Door next Wednesday 23rd, amidst my US solo tour. I’m so psyched. It’s a dream come true for me and as Ed reminded me…. for him, too"

I can't even deal with Jerry and Ed meeting each other. What the hell did they talk about? The fact that PJ used the Dead's gear at Soldier Field after what ended up being the last Dead show is amazing to me. Some kind of torch was passed. PJ is in many ways far more of a kindred spirit to the Dead than the Jam Band scene the Dead supposedly spawned is. I know Jerry loved Jane's Addiction and I bet he would have loved Pearl Jam too, had he more time to appreciate it.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    URthekey said:

Black into Black Peter.

Very interesting...

As a firm believer that jerry could hold his own with anyone including mike, having been to 75+ GD shows and almost 30 pj, I will have to say that while the fans are similar in obsession etc, the music is vastly different and should probably not cross paths except in our minds... IMO
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    Bertha. Coincidently listening to the whole Europe 72 tour in order every night on my walks this month.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    TheGhost said:

I can't even deal with Jerry and Ed meeting each other. What the hell did they talk about? The fact that PJ used the Dead's gear at Soldier Field after what ended up being the last Dead show is amazing to me. Some kind of torch was passed. PJ is in many ways far more of a kindred spirit to the Dead than the Jam Band scene the Dead supposedly spawned is. I know Jerry loved Jane's Addiction and I bet he would have loved Pearl Jam too, had he more time to appreciate it.

i wonder if jeff ever met anyone from the band as well. i know at least he was/is a fan of their music and him and his brother caught dead shows together when pj wasn't touring.
    maybe it was through neil young how they met. it's another possibility. imo
    i didn't hear about pj using the dead's gear at soldier field but i did read they used the empty stage that the dead had set up and had left, as it was the last show of their summer tour.
    it definitely is mind blowing the how the pj peeps rave about that pj soldier field 1995 show and how it ties into the last ever played dead show. MINDBLOWING because i never saw pj play live until after jerry died...cause i was searching for another band to fill my time. my 50th pj show is this year in denver. saw 53 dead shows. good times.