no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    THE OTHER ONE.... :shock:
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    my2hands wrote:
    to the dead haters...

take a ride in the mountains/woods/backroads on a beautiful day... smoke a joint... put on the dead... thank me the next time you see me

I do that anyway instead of the dead for music it's Hendrix. Just because I don't care them does not mean I'm a hater. I respect what they did but the music just isn't for me.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    the dead covering dylan's "desolation row"

desolation row would most likely fuck pearl jam up.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    As a huge DH, I sat 3 rows in front of Phil at MSG and he blew my fucking head on this song. Jeff dropping a bomb at thew beginning of this song would kill.
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    quimby20 wrote:
    As a huge DH, I sat 3 rows in front of Phil at MSG and he blew my fucking head on this song. Jeff dropping a bomb at thew beginning of this song would kill.
    Hell yes
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    I don't think it would work. A jam band is what you become if you know how to play instruments but can't write songs.
    That may be true of some bands, but GD aint a "jam band" they are THE jam band. Incredible songwriters
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    TheGhost wrote:
    I don't think it would work. A jam band is what you become if you know how to play instruments but can't write songs.
    That may be true of some bands, but GD aint a "jam band" they are THE jam band. Incredible songwriters
    This.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    JK18472JK18472 Posts: 153
    A jam band is what you become if you can really master your instrument(that didn't sound right in my head,,,forget it). Anyway, to play in a jam band you must be really skilled, have an excellent ear, and the ability to stop on a dime change modes and then blend musical ideas together to connect musical pieces. You might get lost but you always find your way home. I always thought of this style of music as more complex. Its got a lot of layers. Almost lke a symphony. I know a lot if people might nit appreciate that kind if music but it is more complex, more challenging fir the players and the listeners. For example the part of Presentence at the end where the band picks up then slows it down and brings it back up again is exactly like a jam band. Pearl jam is written up in jam and magazines because they kinda are a jamband.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:
    I know absolutely nothing about the GD so quick question... Why is the topic of PJ covering them controversial?

Unclear on this myself. This band regularly covers songs by classic bands. Why would covering the Dead be any different?
    well, hopefully not so much anymore, but the Dead have always had a huge stigma attached to them. Y'know "hippie band" and all that. In the 90's "punk" and "Hippie" were like oil and water.

In other news I hear there is a Dead tribute record in the works with a bunch of hipster bands (vampire weekend, the national) so their image seems to be changing.

Also, anyone remember when Jane's Addiction did "ripple"? EPIC
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    The grateful dead were not a jam band they were a rock roll band oh wait was it a country band. No it was a jazz band right jazz. Wait no.. Blues or was it a jug band, psychedelic, calypso, electronic, dance, avant-garde, bluegrass, folk,rag time, Americana, or world music. No it was all of them
    The dead could do it ALL, that's why some like to say they were the best. But really everyone knows they aren't the best at what they do they are the only ones who do what they do.
    No disrespect , your either on the bus ir your not, that basically means you either dug the music or you don't. Either the music speaks to you and you love it ir ut doesn't and its not your bag if tea. No worries. "ain't no time to hate". If you dint like the music just pass it on. Its all good
  • Options
    JK18472 wrote:
    The grateful dead were not a jam band they were a rock roll band oh wait was it a country band. No it was a jazz band right jazz. Wait no.. Blues or was it a jug band, psychedelic, calypso, electronic, dance, avant-garde, bluegrass, folk,rag time, Americana, or world music. No it was all of them
    The dead could do it ALL, that's why some like to say they were the best. But really everyone knows they aren't the best at what they do they are the only ones who do what they do.
    No disrespect , your either on the bus ir your not, that basically means you either dug the music or you don't. Either the music speaks to you and you love it ir ut doesn't and its not your bag if tea. No worries. "ain't no time to hate". If you dint like the music just pass it on. Its all good
    spoken like a true Deadhead! :D:D
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    JK36392JK36392 Posts: 840
    standing on the moon please.
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    The only negative I can say about the Dead is that I was so Into the Dead that I had blinders on to other bands. Pearl Jam was so off my radar that I never experienced their magic until PJ20. I guess a pretty good introduction. The reason I was dug PJ so much was the community. It is so similar to the Dead community. Love the fans of both bands.

My last count, there are 40 Dead songs listed her as covers. Maybe if the boys read this forum, maybe we will hear a cover in Seattle. That would be way cool.
  • Options
    mk5877mk5877 Posts: 13
    jniko wrote:
    I think Morning Dew would be Epic. My favorite band playing my favorite GD song.

what a funny discussion. If Mike hit that first note to Morning Dew I would have to think i was losing my mind. The closest thing I could see the boys playing would be Knockin on Heavens door, but thats Dylan. As for a Dead cover .... Maybe Help on The Way ...

my vote is

Help>Slip>You Are
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    DURP wrote:
    Grateful Dead sucks. One of the most over rated bands of all time.

This dude's taste in music is what sucks.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited November 2013
    I like the Grateful Dead, and I don't like this at all.
    It's a really, really bad idea.

However...http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201310 ... teful-dead
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    How about Ed on the yuke covering Garcia and Grisman? Watching him play Grisman's mandolin parts...I think I'd laugh a bit but I still would like to see it.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

Agreed, PJ covering the Dead sounds like my personal nightmare. No thank you!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 wrote:

why?
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    Unbroken Chain into Yellow Ledbetter to end a show...
  • Options
    west LA fade away

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    I like the Dead and I like PJ, but I'm not sure I like them mixing. It's kinda like, I like hummus and I like tomato sauce, but I wouldn't mix them together.

That being said, I think I could see them doing The Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion). It's the kind of song Ed could nail, with a lot of hey-heys and other vocal melodies up his alley.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    i'd like to say a word or two to those who don't know any dead songs, never listened to them or whatever.
    please do yourself a favor, get online & put some dead tunes on. this is probably the greatest band of all time. ok ok ok... the grateful dead are one of the greatest bands of all time.

jerry garcia is without a doubt the coolest guy that ever walked the planet & is one incredible guitarist who is soo humble it is ridiculous. the man sweated talent

give the dead a try; if you are grabbed by them you will be thrilled
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    seriously "Cassidy" with a harder rocking PJ style groove. I can hear it so clear.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    Althea!!!!!
    west la fadeaway
    minglewood blues
    me and my uncle
    FOTD
    Alabama getaway

what pearl jam songs would you have liked the dead to cover?
  • Options
    new speedway boogie
    pearl jam will need a pigpen harmonica player

eat it, mick jagger :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    CM189191 wrote:

why?

It's like chugging orange juice after you've just brushed your teeth. Just don't go together imho.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    i'd like to say a word or two to those who don't know any dead songs, never listened to them or whatever.
    please do yourself a favor, get online & put some dead tunes on. this is probably the greatest band of all time. ok ok ok... the grateful dead are one of the greatest bands of all time.

jerry garcia is without a doubt the coolest guy that ever walked the planet & is one incredible guitarist who is soo humble it is ridiculous. the man sweated talent

give the dead a try; if you are grabbed by them you will be thrilled

I'm sure there are dozens of sites out there, but might I suggest archive.org?

https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead
    https://archive.org/browse.php?collecti ... %2Fcreator
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Cant see PJ doing any of the bluesy dead tunes.

If you want to try the dead, just put on europe 72

if you cant dig those jams you have no soul