*** Los Angeles 2 Fanviews Here 11/24/13 ***

SeaSea Posts: 3,015
edited January 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
LA Sports Arena
Los Angeles, CA
Nov. 24, 2013
Set List

01. Oceans
02. Low Light
03. Present Tense
04. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright)
05. Corduroy
06. Lightning Bolt-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
07. Amongst The Waves
(This is for anyone who had a father in prison)
08. My Father’s Son-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
(That was just a light children’s story...This next one is a fairy tale)
09. Given To Fly
10. Swallowed Whole-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
11. Immortality
12. Infallible-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
(this one is specifically for anyone from (starts listing smaller cities in Southern California))
13. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
(this one is for all the amazing couples out there. There are many here tonight that are friends of ours. This is for them and especially Judd and Leslie (sp))
14. Future Days-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
15. Even Flow
(Hey everyone, there was a guy that got taken out. He was having some kind of emergency and it took me out of the game for a bit but the guy is okay..It’s just that we have a history. But the guy is okay and I’m back)
16. Do The Evolution
17. Mind Your Manners-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
18. Sirens-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”
(Ed says he is officially going to start drinking now. Up until this point it has just been child’s play. He goes on to say that they had been talking to the box office and they say they have never seen so many passports used as ID. He acknowledges the flags and signs from Brazil and other countries. He also mentions their new friend Rob from the Philippines. “This one is about continuing to give a damn.”)
19. No Way
20. Blood

Encore Break

(Ed thanks the band that helped them get started. He also compliments Matt Cameron by saying that the bands Matt is in are so great because Matt is in them. He says this song comes from before I ever met these guys.)

21. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
22. Daughter/Another Brick In The Wall Part 2-(Waters)

(about ten years we were going through that Roskilde thing, well we are still going through it because you never get over it. That first year was so difficult.... and I got to spend some time in New York with the great Lou Reed and I want to play one of his songs. You know things happen in your life, you have kids and..well I just really miss him. This would all make sense after a bottle of wine)

23. After Hours-(Loud Reed) (originally on “The Velvet Underground” sung by Maureen Tucker) Ed plays on electric guitar
24. Sleeping By Myself-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
25. Mother-(Waters)
26. Breath
27. Go
28. Porch

Encore Break 2

(When does a Pearl Jam concert end? When they kick us out. How many songs until a Pearl Jam concert is over? The world may never know. Not to be rude but not to be rude. We are gonna play one for the back. These are the size of the crowds we started out with)
29. Last Kiss-(Cochran)
30. Unthought Known
31. Love, Reign O’re Me-(Townshend)
32. Alive
33. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Amazing show and amazing setlist! I am so pumped that I got to hear Breath and No Way!
  • pjfansincetenpjfansinceten Posts: 107
    edited November 2013
    It was a fantastic night. Since my fan club lottery seats were last night, I resorted to SH to purchase tickets behind the stage. While the sound wasn't as good as it is in front or to the side, it does give an unique interesting perspective to the band. Tonight was show #35 and the last of 4 this week. Thanks for completing Ten for me with Oceans, took me 22 years to hear the whole thing. The band is playing with so much fire these days. Eddie fell at the end of RITFW and was still able to drink from his wine bottle while laying down. Mother was fantastic, as Eddie's voice is perfect for that song. Love, Reign was a nice surprise, still will never be as good as 2008 Pauley Pavilion with the strings added, but it was very welcomed tonight. Wish I could follow them up the coast, but not this time. Enjoy all. See you in 2014?

Will add that Eddie kept changing the set list on the fly, especially during Encore 1.
    Post edited by pjfansinceten on
    91 - 11/22 Detroit (opening for RHCP)
    98 - 7/14 Los Angeles Forum (missed Tenacious D)
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    03 - 6/2 & 3 Irvine, 5 San Diego, 6 Las Vegas MGM (10th Annivesary), 7 Phoenix
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    10 - 5/20 & 21 MSG, 10/23 Bridge School
    12 - 6/20 & 21 Manchester, UK
    13 - 11/19 Phoenix, 21 San Diego, 23 & 24 Los Angeles, 12/6 Seattle (finally)!
    14 - 10/16 Detroit, 20 Milwaukee (YIELDED), 22 Denver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
    18 - 8/18 Wrigley #1 (40th show!), 8/20 Wrigley #2
  • demaydemay Posts: 67
    It would have been more appropriate if Ed played something off "Loaded."
  • This was my only show in 2013 and after seeing LA1 and SD sets, I was preparing to be hit by a falling penis in a tour where it was raining vaginas. But I was pleasantly surprised on many fronts. One being that I've never seen them play with such intensity. What may look typical on paper came across in person amazingly well. LB is a great album and the songs live were great. Infallible in particular had the place dancing and rocking. LB is amazing live. No way and Breath were insane. Great show.

As for seats, it appears that on leg 2, non GA is up the sides. I am thankful for that. Mid 250k and great view from Stone's side.

As for sound, I saw Ozzy at the Sports Arena with Randy Rhoades on New Years Eve 1981 becoming 1982 and the sound was muddy then. It is still muddy now. I can't wait for the boots to hear the details of what they played.

Oh- Mother was insanely great.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • I also might add that while people in the setlist thread don't seem that pumped about this set in person the crowd loved it! It was really unique
  • Great show tonight- my friend Stephen's very first PJ show and my 20th. Thanks for the great tickets Ten Club!
  • StoveStove Posts: 320
    Wow, an intense show. It started off very cool but the incident with an audience member convulsing during "Future Days" definitely surprised the band. Good that he was ok.

I was on Stone's side. Ed was pissed, not like the previous night with the audience member but with his guitar tech and maybe Stone? I'm not sure what was going on. They definitely changed the second part of the set. I know he got frustrated when there was some tech trouble with "Sirens"

There were some good ones in here though. Glad I got to here an electric version of "Sleeping By Myself" and it was a treat to hear "No Way". "Mother" wow, got me choked up. I'd love to hear them cover something else from The Wall.

Also met some amazingly nice people, cheers to everyone in the front on Stone's side!
  • Another fantastic show, though definitely less fantastic than Thursday and particularly last night in my eyes.

Something was going on with Ed all night. I think the reason Betterman and Daughter opened the encores prior to the sit down set was because Ed waved them off after Blood. When Blood finished, he motioned to the rest of the band that he was done and walked off. By the end of the show he seemed legitimately trashed. During Sirens, Ed's guitar must have been out of tune because he threw it down angrily and didn't do the sing along portion at the end.

In our section 29, the 10c section closest to the stage were Judd Apatow and his wife Leslie Mann as well as Cindy Crawford that I saw. Ed's wife also was in the section prior to the show starting and then she moved down to side stage. Very excited that they played No Way and Alive was particularly awesome tonight.

Main set had sort of a weird vibe. There was a run of new songs that I think sort of lost the crowd. Picked up with No Way and then Blood. For my own personal preference, I much preferred the set list on Saturday but that's what you get when a band is changing things up that much from night to night. I think there's been 74 different songs played over the 3 nights in CA so far, which is pretty amazing.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    To all my friends at the sports coliseum

:). Bitchin show

Just unreal, 2 nights of GA :)
  • Well the LA1 thread got locked due to that stupid girl that got kicked out, she came in there and started a huge fight...

But anyway, the 10C really hooked us up! The seats were amazing!! Section 2, first row. Right next to that little security checkpoint for the celeb section next to the stage. So needless to say, we saw a few big names. I think someone already mentioned Duff McKagan from GNR/Velvet Revolver... didn't know he was a fan.

But an interesting encounter... I went to the restroom and on the way out, I went by the carne asada stand they had, and Jerry Cantrell was leaning against the railing, eating some tacos. Yes, Jerry F'ing Cantrell from Alice In Chains. The odd thing was he was eating some tacos by himself and nobody was bugging him for autographs or anything. 8-) Later I saw him walking through the security line and he shook hands with me and a few other guys in my row. :D
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,370
    Ed's guitar was plainly out of tune during "Sirens," like nails on a chalkboard, and he immediately threw it down in frustration. He got the words right for the first time since Phoenix, but the guitar screwed him. He was not happy about it.

This show was a bit like listening to a classic-rock station: two Pink Floyd covers (and a third Floyd tag), a Who cover, a Neil Young cover and a Velvet Underground cover.

I didn't enjoy this show as much as last night's, but it very well could have been me since this was my fourth show in three cities in six nights. I did not have the same energy I did last night, but others may have felt differently. I do think the sound was worse tonight. Last night, on Mike's side, I thought the sound was great. Tonight, on Stone's side, I thought it was muddy.

On to Oakland, Portland and Spokane for shows 53 through 55...
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Regarding Sirens, when Mike solos, Ed takes an acoustic guitar to play mike's part. When Ed started playing his part, there was no sound to the PA system. The tech ran out to get the guitar but instead of handing it to the tech, Ed flipped it over his back and let it drop instead.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,370
    edited November 2013
    Regarding Sirens, when Mike solos, Ed takes an acoustic guitar to play mike's part. When Ed started playing his part, there was no sound to the PA system. The tech ran out to get the guitar but instead of handing it to the tech, Ed flipped it over his back and let it drop instead.

If there was no sound to the monitor, Ed was lucky because the sound that went out to the crowd was distinct and horribly out of tune.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BF25394 wrote:
    I didn't enjoy this show as much as last night's, but it very well could have been me since this was my fourth show in three cities in six nights. I did not have the same energy I did last night, but others may have felt differently. I do think the sound was worse tonight. Last night, on Mike's side, I thought the sound was great. Tonight, on Stone's side, I thought it was muddy.

On to Oakland, Portland and Spokane for shows 53 through 55...

I went to LA1 but not LA2 tonight... today I was REALLY tempted to buy those ridiculous priced tickets on Stubhub, but in the end I'm glad I didn't go.

NOT because of the setlist... although I was BLOWN AWAY by our songs last night, but because by the time we got out of the parking lot around midnight, drove home, and blasted PJ songs for another 1-2 hours (adrenaline was pumping) we didn't get to bed until about 4 AM, and woke up early today... we would have been DEAD tired tonight. I was already yawning at about 8:30 tonight. And tonight was my mom's bday party so I would've missed that.

BTW I would've loved to see Low Light, but I'm content I got to see Release last night.

Given To Fly is my favorite song, and it almost brought tears to my eyes watching the entire crowd scream it out loud along with me. In Hiding is another that I love, but they didn't play it either night...
  • Certainly not a bad show, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed -- can't really put it into words, but I suppose I was expecting more. Saturday was much better, but I don't for a second regret coming all the way from Chicago to see both shows.
    2006 -- Chicago II
    2011 -- PJ20 II
    2012 -- Midtown Music Fest
    2013 -- Wrigley Field, Los Angeles I + III, Seattle
    2014 -- Moline, Milwaukee
    2016 -- Wrigley Field I + II
  • Much different show from night 1. Ed did seem bothered, and he had problems with acoustic guitar during Sirens. From GA in front of Mike I couldn't tell if he dropped or threw it down when the tech came out, but either way, the guitar went down. Main set struggled to find momentum, but some real gems with Present Tense, Immortality and No Way (highlight of the night).

Overall good show, and really good crowd. This might just be one of those 'had to be there' shows. Mike crowd surfing at end of Alive was great... Gene Simmons was in the Loge seats just in front Mike, who really seemed to play it up.
    2003 - Santa Barbara
    2005 - Vancouver
    2006 - San Diego, Los Angeles I & II, Santa Barbara
    2008 - Mansfield II, Westwood (VH1 Honors the Who)
    2009 - Universal City III
    2013 - Los Angeles I & II
  • I'm again surprised to see the reactions in here. I thought last night's show was good, but the setlist was incredibly dull. Tonight's setlist was the PJ diehard's dream...I was about 15 people back in GA last night, and way up in the Concourse tonight and I thought tonight blew last night out of the damn water. No comparison.

San Diego was still the best overall show of the CA shows, though.
  • chalonchalon Posts: 114
    I thought the setlist was great. They played a lot of "first for me" songs so that was awesome. No Way. Immortality. Low Light. Blood. And so on.

It definitely was very different from night 1, which was more of a "Greatest Hits" set list, but I thought the crowd was mostly into it, though there were a couple of Lighting Bolt songs that the crowd seemed pretty dead for (like Father's Son). But then on other songs it was crazy how enthusiastic the crowd was.

Only wish I wasn't behind the stage, because although I was really close, the sound definitely was not as good as it was when I was on the front side last night.

Overall, I'm really happy I ended up going to SD and both LA shows. All three shows were a lot of fun!

I'd probably agree SD was the best of the three, but LA 2 was almost there.
  • TallGuyCM wrote:
    I'm again surprised to see the reactions in here. I thought last night's show was good, but the setlist was incredibly dull. Tonight's setlist was the PJ diehard's dream...I was about 15 people back in GA last night, and way up in the Concourse tonight and I thought tonight blew last night out of the damn water. No comparison.
    I totally agree! I guess on paper it may not look like all that besides Breath and No Way - it was definitely as another person said a "had to be there" set

I too am surprised by how many people are saying this set was disappointing, for me it blew Night 1 out of the water in terms of general flow and vibe.

The only downsides were Eddie not talking to the crowd as much as Night 1 and Ledbetter not having enough time to be squeezed in after RITFW. But seeing Present Tense, No Way, Breath, and Oceans was a real treat

Amazing show!
  • TallGuyCM wrote:
    I'm again surprised to see the reactions in here. I thought last night's show was good, but the setlist was incredibly dull. Tonight's setlist was the PJ diehard's dream...I was about 15 people back in GA last night, and way up in the Concourse tonight and I thought tonight blew last night out of the damn water. No comparison.

I agree the set list was strong, especially for the die hards, and it made for a real nice contrast to night 1, providing a whole different experience. That said, the flow seemed a bit choppy, but that's really not a complaint - just observation. Was a really cool, different show.
    2003 - Santa Barbara
    2005 - Vancouver
    2006 - San Diego, Los Angeles I & II, Santa Barbara
    2008 - Mansfield II, Westwood (VH1 Honors the Who)
    2009 - Universal City III
    2013 - Los Angeles I & II
  • thanks Sea :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Got to see both nights and they were a tale of 2 shows. Night one had AMAZING energy from the crowd. The GA section never seemed to drop energy the whole night and the rest of the crowd followed suit. But I will keep this to Sunday's show.

I think Ed was upset over some of the mistakes that were made. He jacked up the lyrics of Future Days and you could tell he was upset with himself. Then on Sirens, as someone else mentioned, his 12 string acoustic was not plugged in properly as no sound was coming out once Stone started n his electric and Ed was to fill in for the rhythm. He took the strap off and just tossed his guitar behind him. They definitely went in for their 1st encore break early I think to figure out what was going wrong. I also noticed on one song Mike's guitar was coming in way too loudly and it was overpowering the rest of the band and Ed's voice.

Was my first time hearing Love/Reign live and it was awesome! Between the 2 nights in LA I think we got the entire Ten Album. Also, lot more covers for night #2 with Lou Reed, RITFW, love/reign, pink Floyd Segway, etc. I was really bummed to see Crazy Mary knocked off of both setlists. The wife was excited though since she really wanted to hear Breath and Present Tense.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    Anyone else see BABA BOOEY ???

I could have sworn Gary em was back of the floor during show start??

I glanced mid way through

He was gone....
  • My brother, Sean, was the one who had to get taken out during Future Days. He is doing fine. I want to thank everyone who helped me get him to the front and over the rail. He basically fainted and his legs just buckled. It was scary at first because I thought he was having some kind of seizure. They checked his vitals and he was fine, just a little bit out of it for awhile. They said it might have been a combination of dehydration and lack of air.

The arena medical crew was great. A doctor told us that the band was telling the crowd that Sean was doing alright and then he told Sean to go back out there and prove the band right. We made it back on the floor for the first encore. Thanks again to the best fan community in the world for helping out in what was a pretty scary situation.

(Got my Oceans opener...first time in 27 shows.)
  • Ed's guitar tech with the Amish beard was taking the brunt of his ire and then was gone the rest of the show. It was really weird. I've been to 30 shows and he has been Ed's guy every time.
    You can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    CristianB wrote:
    My brother, Sean, was the one who had to get taken out during Future Days. He is doing fine. I want to thank everyone who helped me get him to the front and over the rail. He basically fainted and his legs just buckled. It was scary at first because I thought he was having some kind of seizure. They checked his vitals and he was fine, just a little bit out of it for awhile. They said it might have been a combination of dehydration and lack of air.

The arena medical crew was great. A doctor told us that the band was telling the crowd that Sean was doing alright and then he told Sean to go back out there and prove the band right. We made it back on the floor for the first encore. Thanks again to the best fan community in the world for helping out in what was a pretty scary situation.

(Got my Oceans opener...first time in 27 shows.)

That's good to hear...it looked kinda scary when they took him out...awesome that he finished the show
  • I liked LA 1 better than LA 2.

Highlights tonight was Mother. And loved seeing Mike crowdsurf too.

I thought there were too many covers in tonights set. That is just me though. I prefer Pearl Jam songs to cover songs at a Pearl Jam show.

I thought the sound Night 1 was better too.

Also, do not understand why they cannot start earlier, so that songs do not have to be cut in the end. Seemed like they were rushing through songs tonight.

Both nights were great(even after a bit of my whining), but of the 3 shows I saw this past week I would put PHX #1, LA1 #2 and LA2 #3.

That was show #42 tonight. May do Oakland and Vancouver coming up. We shall see.
  • Great setlist. Hope Mike is ok after falling.
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • I don't really understand the need or desire to pick apart set lists, shows or performances. I have nothing but the absolute, utmost appreciation, admiration and respect for Pearl Jam. After more than two decades of entertaining us, STILL night after night these amazingly talented and special men come out there and absolutely give us THEIR ALL. I don't think Eddie keeps anything for himself. In addition, he genuinely interacts and reaches out to as many as possible. LOVE/NURTURE to Pearl Jam. I have seen maybe about 8 shows with first one at Ventura Theatre (early/mid 90's). Am so gratetful that you are still together and have it in you to entertain us for 3+ hours night after night. You don't have to do that, but you do. I will always have your back. You deserve nothing less.
  • I thought there were too many covers in tonights set. That is just me though. I prefer Pearl Jam songs to cover songs at a Pearl Jam show.

I mean, they're playing for nearly an hour longer than they did last album tour. So you're getting more or less the same amount of PJ songs.

And in regards to the common criticism of the difference in energy levels between the two shows - obviously at big arena shows your main attendant is a casual to above casual fan. Who mainly knows Ten and perhaps a few other albums. So on the night that the band plays 8/11 songs from Ten of course the energy is going to be a lot higher.

It's always been about the setlist/song selection for me, though. No Way, Breath, Immortality...the crowd was standing virtually motionless for all of these songs, because they're not well known songs. You can't blame the band for that.