Options

Lightning Bolt Vinyl Issue

Dror IsraelDror Israel Israel Posts: 507
edited November 2013 in The Porch
Hi,
Just got my Lightning Bolt Vinyl.
Still didn't open it.
What was the issue with the pressing of the vinyl?
I don't have a record play, so if it's about the sound, I won't be able to check it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    Hi,
    Still didn't open it.
    I don't have a record play, so if it's about the sound, I won't be able to check it.

So, I hate to ask a dumb sounding question but, why did you buy it?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    You should probably read the lightning bolt thread at the top of this page. I'm pretty sure it describes all the different problems ranging from pops in sound to oily stains on the vinyl. Mine has strange pops and a weird off and on buzz sound. So far I have been to lazy to try to replace it. Visually my vinyl looks fine though so I think you would have to play it to know for sure.
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Hi,
    Still didn't open it.

you are right, it's a dumb question.
  • Options
    You should probably read the lightning bolt thread at the top of this page. I'm pretty sure it describes all the different problems ranging from pops in sound to oily stains on the vinyl. Mine has strange pops and a weird off and on buzz sound. So far I have been to lazy to try to replace it. Visually my vinyl looks fine though so I think you would have to play it to know for sure.

thanks, i'll check the thread
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Hi,
    Still didn't open it.

:lol:

Ok, so the dumb answer is...?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hahaha, what a prick. logical guess would be the record is about to get flipped and if it's coming out of Israel you don't want your buyer getting mad and returning it as I imagine the shipping is outrageous.

brianlux wrote:
    Hi,
    Still didn't open it.

if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    Hi,

That's like buying tires and don't own a car.
    That's like buying bullets and no gun.
    That's like buying cake mix and no oven....I could keep going....
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    My god.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    He's going to buy a turn table ? :oops:
  • Options
    Yes, because if we know one thing about vinyl, it definitely doesn't increase in value....

oh no wait. It does.

I'm keeping my 1st edition sealed. somebody might not want to buy it because it possibly has a defect...

or perhaps that is what will make it more valuable. it's worth a 25.00 bet. :P
  • Options
    People are actually considering flipping LB? :lol: Good luck with that capital venture. :roll:

• Options
    jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    But, if you don't open it, you won't know if it's red!
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    brianlux wrote:
    Hi,
    Still didn't open it.

Haven't wanted to bump this annoying thread but since it's at the top already, I'll comment.

What's so dumb about Brian's question exactly? Is his question dumber than starting a thread about something you could have easily googled?
  • Options
    Thank you all:
    Those who tried to help and those who didn't.
    A little more tolerance & acceptance could be nice
  • Options
    Thank you all:

I think the confusion stems from buying something which you admit to not planning on using.
    Reminds me of this http://youtu.be/pn4Frslsq8M
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    Thank you all:

I think the confusion stems from buying something which you admit to not planning on using.
    Reminds me of this http://youtu.be/pn4Frslsq8M

This is your interpretation.
    Have you thought about a situation that maybe my record player is broken?...
    As I said: A little more tolerance & acceptance could be nice.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,958
    I bought a new TV but I'm not going to take it out of the box.

Does it work?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,707
    fucking hell, the OP has had a bit of a rough ride in this thread.

What if he is just a collector?

I know this is a mind blowing concept but not everyone who buys vinyl plays it. It really is as simple as that. No one is asking if that is right or wrong. But it is entirely possible that even those who don't, will buy the records, in the hope that one day they may have more time and space to have a record player and really enjoy it.

Seriously sad fucking response to a pretty innocent question.

welcoming forum? yeah when its convenient.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Still didn't open it.

Dude, some folk found their centre sticker actually stuck to the record and totally misplaced, some found the record to be gauged with scratches, some were filthy, some had bumps and dents, and clear distress to the vinyl. Others looked ok but skipped, and hissed and popped during playback.....

From those who have received the record a very high percentage seemed to have issues
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,958
    I would request the replacement vinyl regardless.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

I know this is a mind blowing concept but not everyone who buys vinyl plays it. It really is as simple as that. No one is asking if that is right or wrong. But it is entirely possible that even those who don't, will buy the records, in the hope that one day they may have more time and space to have a record player and really enjoy it.

Here in the United States it is perfectly and within a person rights to collect stuff. In fact, it might even be an unwritten law that here in America "thou shalt amass a shit load of useless or unused stuff".

It is also perfectly legal for someone to voice their disapproval of this habit.

I don't know if anything I said here has anything to do with the OP's issues but then no where in this thread has the OP stated his or her intentions so I'm just throwing darts here in the dark.

• Options
    HongKongHongKong Posts: 312
    in defense of the OP, there are MANY people on this board that buy posters and never hang them up, am i wrong?
    ET, Wi 08-29-92
    Mke, Wi 07-09-95
    Mke, Wi 07-08-95
    ET, Wi 06-27-98
    Tibetan FC (EV)99 East Troy, WI, US
    ET, Wi 10-08-00
    ET, Wi 06-21-03
    Mke, Wi 06-30-06
    Lolla Chi, Il 08-05-07
    EV Mke 08.19.08
    PJ20, Wi 09-04-11
    PJ20, Wi 09-03-11
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

Here in the United States it is perfectly and within a person rights to collect stuff. In fact, it might even be an unwritten law that here in America "thou shalt amass a shit load of useless or unused stuff".

It is also perfectly legal for someone to voice their disapproval of this habit.

I don't know if anything I said here has anything to do with the OP's issues but then no where in this thread has the OP stated his or her intentions so I'm just throwing darts here in the dark.

The OP just asked a very simple question.
  • Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    Thank you all:

OP...yeah, this got a little harsh. Don't know how much you look on the boards, but in general it's a much more helpful place. You could've been politely directed to the thread that does explain the issues, hopefully you've found the answers you were looking for.

To some of the others here, why come down on this guy? Look around your house/apt and see if you have anything that has a purpose, but maybe you have it....just because you liked it.

Please, if you decide to throw some negativity out, so find the folks who's objective it is to raid merch for the sole purpose of turning a buck. That's their right, of course, but at least there's something to legitimately complain about.
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    The last vinyl that I bought and couldn't play(because I did not have a working turntable) was in '94 when Vitalogy was pre-released on vinyl. We used a sewing needle with a piece of paper rolled into a cone and listened to it like that for a week.

Still have that same album, it doesn't sound great.

As far as the OP goes, and flipping etc I am getting tempted to buy a flipped version after waiting 6 weeks for my copy to arrive....
  • Options
    well I "came down" on this guy because brianlux politely asked a reasonable question, and instead of ignoring it or answering it politely, he had a smartass comment. not sure why you guys are bobbing this guys knob so much.

PJinIL wrote:
    Thank you all:

OP...yeah, this got a little harsh. Don't know how much you look on the boards, but in general it's a much more helpful place. You could've been politely directed to the thread that does explain the issues, hopefully you've found the answers you were looking for.

To some of the others here, why come down on this guy? Look around your house/apt and see if you have anything that has a purpose, but maybe you have it....just because you liked it.

Please, if you decide to throw some negativity out, so find the folks who's objective it is to raid merch for the sole purpose of turning a buck. That's their right, of course, but at least there's something to legitimately complain about.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    well I "came down" on this guy because brianlux politely asked a reasonable question, and instead of ignoring it or answering it politely, he had a smartass comment. not sure why you guys are bobbing this guys knob so much.

PJinIL wrote:
    Thank you all:

I know, dude asked a simple question and OP got all uppity. That's why I chimed in.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    WORST - VINYL - PRESS - IN - ENTIRE - CATALOG 
  • Options
    You just play yours for the first time?
    (I still haven't played mine....)
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    You just play yours for the first time?
    (I still haven't played mine....)
    No, just coming up on the 5-year anniversary of the tour and spinning this craptastic slab of wax.... for the first time in forever