Options

PJ on Cassette - anyone collecting? pros & cons of Cassettes

Comments

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    HOW pschyed do you think I was when I found this on the super cheap do you?

8021ff47-8b4a-476b-96c6-b347f0682c12_zps504095c7.jpg

I ripped the cover off, saved the sticker, and put it in the Nakamichi at top volume with NO NOISE reduction (per neil's tape preferences...everything else is DOLBY DOLBY DOLBY)
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    53e22717-0a1c-49d9-9bad-ca01a32db5dc_zpsac0ae22a.jpg

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    buddy just hooked me up with the no code cassette when cleaning up wifes stuff...she did not want it...nice to have!
    At a flea market found binural, vitalogy, mad season, nin and others all for 25 cents each! like a pieces of history that someday may end up in the dump...must revise my will so that does not happen!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    pdalowsky said:

never understood why Minidiscs weren't super successful, I guess the digital age took care of it, but I too got all the Minidiscs.

Theres some super rare cassettes out there that are worth a mint too....

Which ones? I found some sort of vs sample cassette they other day.. It doesn't really say what is on it ill look
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Dammit! This makes me want to buy them on tape again.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    I am seeing more and more record stores expanding their used cassette sections. At first, I did a double take, ha ha. Easy Street and Silver Platters in Seattle, Amoeba in Los Angeles...At the moment they go for about $1.99-$4.99 but I saw "License to Ill" at Amoeba in LA for about $20! But, I don't think they will ever reach the rebirth status that vinyl has. May be just a passing "re-fad".

I still have my portable tape deck/cd boombox player as well as a Sony Dual deck. Biggest downfall has always been trying to rewind or forward to the song you want. Audio quality wise, other than tape hiss, they sound decent. Better than a lot of the tinny, compressed mp3s out there.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Tapes are cool if you're a hipster now though. Tight jeans, moronic attitude and tapes!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    But yeah, back in the day (for me, about 1985-1989) tape was the medium everybody bought their music on. I remember going to Tower Records in Seattle and the store was all tape cassettes with a small section in the back with this new medium called "compact disc". haha
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    I check the used tapes section every time I visit a record store to look for PJ tapes. I think I have a couple/few copies of Ten, vs, & Vitalogy I picked up for like a buck a piece.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    I have at least 2 advance promo cassettes from Epic that were released before Ten. I'll have to dig into the box to see what else I can find. :-&
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    Tapes are great if you're a bit OCD. I've got Vs. Vitalogy, Binaural and Mirror Ball on cassette. for Binaural and Mirror Ball I wanted the vinyl but I didn't want to shell out the $400 combined to get them. If you're playing through a decent, well maintained deck, which I am, tapes can sound great. I've also taped several vinyl albums for listening in the car or up at the cabin. Walking out of the thrift shop with 10 great albums for $5 is the shit :)
  • Options
    Just found the final and 9th No Code cover I needed! The Dartboard! Collection complete.
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    LloydXmas said:

Don't you miss the Good old days of having to get something or your Little finger and having to wind the Tape back up because it got a little loose haha
  • Options
    pablo5pablo5 Posts: 48
    The Go single with the free tape is an interesting one.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=23190
  • Options
    davetendaveten Ireland Posts: 143
    Animal from the vmas great version
    cork 96,dublin 96,dublin 00,dublin 06,london 08, dublin 10, belfast 10, ev solo London 2012
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    cassettes are a cool novelty. They'll never be revived like vinyl tho. Vinyl offers the sound quality over CDs. I think theyre awesome to collect but I dont miss playing cassettes one bit. LOL.
  • Options
    pearljamfan1992pearljamfan1992 East northport, NY Posts: 14
    Found my VS. cassette and haven't played it in years, just needed to FF and rewind a few times and it sounds decent.
  • Options
    korn-1korn-1 Los Angeles, transplanted from Chicago Posts: 925
    edited February 2014
    Headin to my bros house for the game tonight decided to stop at a thift store on the way to flip thru their vinyl. Didnt find anything interesting but cause i had read this thread earlier went ahead and dug thru their cassettes, scored these for 50cents each:
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    Temple of the Dog
    Superunknown
    Badmotorfinger
    In Utero
    Post edited by korn-1 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    I only own 2 cassettes now, 5 Against 1 (pre Vs.) and Green Jello's Cereal Killer Soundtrack, before they had to change their name to Jelly. But for some reason I was just looking for PJ tapes at the record store yesterday. It might be fun to buy them again, if they're cheap enough.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    korn-1 said:

Headin to my bros house for the game tonight decided to stop at a thift store on the way to flip thru their vinyl. Didnt find anything interesting but cause i had read this thread earlier went ahead and dug thru their cassettes, scored these for 50cents each:
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    Temple of the Dog
    Superunknown
    Badmotorfinger
    In Utero

You're Welcome
    \m/ :-j
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    evsgjamm said:

How's the cassette collecting coming along out there in Hardcore PJ land?

I've got:

Ten
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Yield
    Binaural

Strike now while they're cheap folks. Soon we'll be saying "wow... never thought cassettes would come back - I remember when people were practically giving them away."

Benefits of cassette:

100% Analog
    Vintage
    Collectible
    Currently cheap

Cons of cassette:

Delicate
    Cheaply made?
    Don't last as long as vinyl?

One thing rang true in this post...never thought cassettes would come back.

Perhaps Pearl Jam should release their next album on 8 track or reel to reel maybe DAT tapes?

Here's whats up. Vinyl is analog and enjoyed at home in the original concept. CD and mp3 is customizable and portable. Cassettes are as likely to be relevant the same time my box of computer discs are useable in my iPad.

On the other hand that box of floppy discs and my huge box of cassettes down in the basement......nah. Fuck 'em they're useless and worthless. But my rendition of Hey Jude I recorded on my tape recorder back in 88 could maybe be my shot at a Grammy.
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753

Back when Ten first came out in 1991, I went out and bought the cassette right away after a guy I was dating at the time played it for me! I was still mostly an album person at that time, but got the cassette instead since I wanted to play it in my car AND at home and couldn't do that with an album! The guy turned out to be a jerk, but I'm forever grateful that he introduced me to Pearl Jam - and I still have the cassette!

I'll give you ten bucks for it...
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    Yo yo yo... come here... come here... you're not 5-0 are you? Check this out I got some PRIMO Led Zeppelin III on... you sure you're not 5-0?... Led Zeppelin III on 8-Track. What about Foghat's Greatest Hits? Come on... Slow Ride... Fool for the City... on 8-TRACK!!! What about Foreigner Double Vision? You know you want it. What... that... oh that's nothing... I have no idea how Manilow's Greatest Hits got in there... that ain't mine... I swear...
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869

I have 100's of old bootlegs on maxwell xL II's, mostly from 92-98 tours, from the days when we mailed me to each other in padded envelopes. I've been thinking they're wasted space, especially since the band released their own bootlegs eventually. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows....

To me they'll never be equal to vinyl because the tape itself inside can break or get twisted, but what the hell do I know?!

Edit: Maxell XLII :)

guessing we traded back in the day.....fucking J-cards
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    MK13579 said:

RoleModelsinBlood31" said:
    I have 100's of old bootlegs on maxwell xL II's, mostly from 92-98 tours, from the days when we mailed me to each other in padded envelopes. I've been thinking they're wasted space, especially since the band released their own bootlegs eventually. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows....

To me they'll never be equal to vinyl because the tape itself inside can break or get twisted, but what the hell do I know?!

Edit: Maxell XLII :)
    Me too! I wonder if we ever traded? Ahhh, the good old days

Ditto. Mine were all given to me a couple yrs ago by a friend of mine who was big into trading in the 90s. I actually just started going thru and cataloging them recently. Not sure what I'll ever do with them as I don't have a cassette player.

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,856
    edited February 2014
    I collect, but times I think twice about buying these sealed cassettes tapes that are made in a different countries of the world. Lately I've been seeing new one's being popping up on eBay like jiffy pop. Wondering if they are official or not, just because it say's Sony Music on it. Are there any Made in Egypt, Sudan, Libya etc.. PJ cassette tapes? I mean, there's a Sony Music in pretty every country in the world.
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited February 2014
    I don't understand why anyone would want to collect or use cassettes when they can collect or use CDs or vinyl. Cassettes fucking suck. They sound bad, they degrade fast, tape players eat them on a regular basis. Even the cases break easily. And they aren't very portable compared to CDs. There was a Blind Melon Soup cassette on EBay that was up to $35 last I looked. There were CDs for $5. I just don't understand....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    ahhhhhh but PJ_Soul.... you're just not seeing through clear glasses. You see, all the things you listed are EXACTLY what gives cassettes the collectibility potential to the medium. They are not at allll popular right now and are still very cheap - buy low, sell high. Get in before the masses do. Get in when people are saying "whaaaaaaaaat??? well THAT doesn't make sense!!!" because the potential exists for "shoulda woulda coulda" IFFFFFF you are the collector type looking for the next big thing. Ya folla? Or simply just the fact that they aren't "cool" ads to the "coolness" of owning them. Not everyone has em - capeek?
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    They will be collector items for a small group. Mainly those that think they are ahead of the game. They think they will be the next vinyl resurgence item. The biggest issue aside from just shitty sound quality of cassettes, is that a huge part of vinyl isn't that it sounds so much better (audiophiles will argue that, but 9 out of 10 can't hear the difference between vinyl or digital unless they notice a pop) is that the albums give you something physical to hold, look at, watch spin ect. We all have digital copies but there is the ritual of opening, placing, dropping the needle, and watching the music be played. Compare the size of an LP cover to a cassette. No contest. But for those that want them, go for them. Just know that just because you paid x amount for something, that means you have to find someone else willing to pay that in order for it to be a true collectors item.
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    edited February 2014
    In addition to no code tape which is probably the coolest one(s) to get I also dig the riot act versions. They are Asian imports but they either have the different cover...or... have "riot act" written on the cover in that scratched font. Also I like how they placed all the black and white photos together almost like a collage. So with the tapes for me it's about the different artwork u get with them.