Options

Will you sit down!

shane davisshane davis Posts: 84
edited November 2013 in The Porch
I'm hearing more and more of this, people complaining and asking or telling the people in front of them to sit down! How can anyone sit down during a PJ concert? "I paid good money for these tickets, I don't want to see the back of your head!" Then stand up like everyone else is and enjoy the show! I too paid good money along with travel expense to attend this concert! I've heard of fights almost breaking out for this reason, my question is, how do you deal with this? I certainly don't want to be sitting down throughout one of the most exciting days if my year.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited November 2013
    Meh. Just say no. That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard. They may as well be asking you not to clap. I wouldn't bother giving those people a second thought.
    But yet another reason i am glad GA is back.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I do get that there are times during a show where sitting would alright, campfire mode, but come on!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited November 2013
    I do get that there are times during a show where sitting would alright, campfire mode, but come on!
    Sitting is always alright if that's what you want to do... asking other people to sit is where the problem comes in. If you want to sit at a rock concert, you've got to expect that you might not be able to see anything other than the asses of the people in front of you. (but yeah, campfire mode is the perfect time to rest your back and your feet)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,244
    I'm lucky enough that I'm on the floor for most concerts (in which case people have no choice but to stand) but I've been in the wings the odd time.

We got scolded pretty bad at a Def Leppard concert about 10 years ago.. lol. My wife nearly tore them a new one. We never sat.

I generally find the most annoying behaviour at concerts coming from people that don't go to many concerts. IE people who have no idea what to expect or haven't learned any concert etiquette. If you go to alot of shows, you should probably expect to standing.

I did break this cardinal rule once though. About two years ago the Foo Fighters played a show in Vancouver and I worked a long day.. then took the ferry over to go see it. We got there and the floor was packed. They put a walkway down the middle for Dave Grohl to walk down but sold the same amount of floor tickets... so it was a bit of a gong show. I was completely fatigued and saw my wife was too. Then I notice they didn't sell all the side stage tickets. There was a profound line where they stopped putting them up for sale, but the view would be spectacular. So I talked her into going up there. So we left the floor, sat 10th row beside the stage, and took it all in. One of the few concerts that I actually sat.. and it was a pretty cool experience, just chilling out, and taking it all in with these crazy awesome seats. I don't think I was pissing anyone off though. A half dozen other people saw what we did and sporadically took some of the seats as well. Security looked at as funny, but because were harmless they never did anything about it :)
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    edited November 2013
    In my particular case it is difficult to stand throughout an entire show. Though I don't tell those in front of me to sit down, I do say something when they stand on their seats. That I feel is inconsiderate. For Bk1, I was floor on an aisle. No problem. Bk2 up top and the pitch of the sections are steep enough that even when someone stands it didn't impede my few. Balt was mid top side 2/3 way and the angle posed no problem when sitting. So stand away, just please, not on your seat. I'd rather look at the back of your head than the crack of your ass.
    Post edited by HollisBrown on
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Ummmmmmm . . . NO ! :mrgreen:
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    Oh, and if you're gonna stand, kindly stand in front of your seat. Some douchebag, BK1 Sec F4 row B Seat 3 stood more than halfway into the guy next to him . The guy had to literally stand in the aisle cause there was no room for him in front of his seat. I felt bad for him. But I guess he was too timid to say something.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    If anyone ever told me to sit down at a concert I would laugh in their face.
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    For real, what do you expect? If you want people sitting down then you're at the wrong concert.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    Yeah, I try to be mindful of other people when they ask, but the most I'll do is just kinda move out of the way. Luckily, I've never had to deal with it at a PJ show.

I was once yelled at to sit down during Battery at a Metallica show. I didn't even know what to say.

Also got in an argument with an usher at Yankee Stadium during Paul McCartney. The people behind us tattled on us apparently, so I yelled at the guy, sat for one song and stood back up. I spent a fortune on those tickets, and there was no way I was going to be miserable during the show.

I guess my point is, try to be mindful and thoughtful within reason, but a rock show is a rock show and as long as you're within your seat area, people really shouldn't be complaining.
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    I've heard more and more comments about this.

Philly and Hartford, people were packed to the ceiling and I saw no one sitting except a few, older people.

I saw No one asking ppl to sit down. That could be because I was in the 10c section... But those shows I didn't really hear about that.

Sorry to hear about the problems you were having!
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    If somebody behind me tells me to sit down....I'll just stand on the seat, just to piss them off. pfffft....Sit down?!...thats crazy talk

This thread should be titled "will you STAND UP!"
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    This thread should be titled "will you STAND UP!"
    This is so true in the non 10club ticket seats. So many people sitting, texting and most of all, talking. When Eddie was eulogizing Lou Reed or for the acoustic set in Balt. the roar of people bullshitting was deafening. I sometimes wonder why do they even bother coming. All they do is anything other than rockin' and rollin' to the music.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Saw Tom Petty in Saratoga this summer and fucknuts sitting on beach chairs towards the back of the venue had the audacity to tell me and my friends to not stand in front of them. There's no seats. It's fucking grass and trees and Hippy Joe and his woman Sally want to kick their feet up during a 2 hour show and not have anyone stand in front of them. Seriously, go fuck yourselves. Fortunately in my string of 5 PJ shows this tour no one had a problem with me standing.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I'm fucking standing. My arms are up, I'm dancin' and yellin' at the top of my tone deaf voice, and I'm timing it and jumping just like Ed and JA at the end of songs. I'm in a Reserved Seat and this is my four feet of space. It extends clear up to the ceiling. Your sight line is not my responsibility. It sucks to be you and it sucks that you don't get it.

It's a rock concert. You can sit in the car on the way home. You can probably check your fucking phone then, too.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Here's an idea: As a tribute to the Doors, how about one performance where there is no GA, no mosh pit, no open floor- everyone in the audience is seated, everyone stays in their seats (no standing) and no applause. This is basically what happened at one of the Doors shows in Europe. What do you? Is this gonna fly?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    axellaire8axellaire8 Belgium Posts: 234
    ryph raph wrote:
    Ummmmmmm . . . NO ! :mrgreen:

+1

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

EV: 2012: Amsterdam/2017: Antwerpen/2019: Bruxelles

• Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    People wanting to sit also paid good money to watch the concert.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Saw Tom Petty in Saratoga this summer and fucknuts sitting on beach chairs towards the back of the venue had the audacity to tell me and my friends to not stand in front of them. There's no seats. It's fucking grass and trees and Hippy Joe and his woman Sally want to kick their feet up during a 2 hour show and not have anyone stand in front of them. Seriously, go fuck yourselves. Fortunately in my string of 5 PJ shows this tour no one had a problem with me standing.

:lol::lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    JV130312 wrote:

Right, so they have a choice to make. Stand and watch, or sit and listen.

Their choice.
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:
    JV130312 wrote:

Right, so they have a choice to make. Stand and watch, or sit and listen.

Their choice.

I agree. Their choice, like its ours to stand..

I would never yell at someone to stand up, so we shouldn't be yelled at to sit down..

That's only fair, right?
  • Options
    JV130312 wrote:

So did I.

They can choose to sit or stand.

I can also choose to sit or stand.
  • Options
    Are seating tickets for seating? Are standing tickets for standing?
    Not everyone wants to stand . If u wanna stand go on too the floor
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    London, Ontario and Pittsburgh - we were up real high on the side, in the front of the sections and were able to sit through the whole show. Had a great, great time rocking out in my seat. No problem. Other shows this tour on our feet for the whole thing.

I can enjoy the show the way I want, no one is going to tell me any different.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    The only time I sit is during an intermission. If asked, I would say no.

I saw the Who this year. People behind us were pissed that we were standing. Tough shit! :lol:
  • Options
    Pick your moments though.

At an ACDC concert back in 1991... fans rushed the floor and left a lot of the lower bowl empty.

The section to my right was barren, but there was a 'clump' of Hells Angels. They were all sitting together- some of them looking quite pleased that they could stretch their legs out over top of the seats in front of them.

A few songs later, scanning the crowd, I noticed some guy standing directly in front of the Angels. He had his shirt off- tucked into his jeans- and had his hands held high (clapping and waving). The Angels behind him didn't look too impressed.

Another song or two later I happened to look over and, wouldn't you know it, the Angels were shitcanning this guy who was trying to pull away, but was being held so that numerous shots could be thrown.

Bloodied, the guy managed to wrestle himself away and ran for the floor- running on top of the seats leading to it. As he jumped over the boards to get on the floor, multiple flashlights were running towards him. The flashlights went out for about 30 seconds. Then they came back on. The guy was dragged out- he seemed unconscious.

I think he took a second beating from security who were tired of losing the battle keeping people from storming the floor.

Bottom line: don't tell the Hells Angels to 'go fuck themselves' when they tell you to sit down. In fact, if they are seated behind you... maybe just sit down.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mattdingle wrote:

Really? If it were only that easy.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    mattdingle wrote:

In the case of all concerts it truly is majority/mob rule.

If the majority is standing you either have to stand to see or sit down and shut up. Why?

Because if you want the person in front of you to sit, then the person in front of him needs to sit. Can you imagine the security that would be needed to run from the top of the building to the last row imploring everyone to sit?

It is ridiculous.

By that same token if 15000 people are sitting and you've got some that want to stand, then those that want to stand lose out. Why? Cause the majority spoke and the security will be plentiful to ask those still standing to sit.

There is no getting upset about it all, it just is what it is.

Pearl Jam (although not in the Stones Category yet), will start to see a shift from young people who want to stand and older folks who want to sit.

As that transition takes place, and it might never materialize, there will always be one side or the other that is upset.

I will say I was at a Stones concert this summer and most people (including myself of course), stood the whole time.... So they are in their 70's.... it just might be a standing environment for ever.

Wilds
  • Options
    Sadly the questions occurs much more than you think.

Buy the bootlegs if you wanna sit and listen
    2003: Nashville, Lexington, St.Louis
    2004: St. Louis
    2006: Cincinnati
    2008: Columbia, VA Beach
    2009: Chicago x2, Atlanta (EV) x2
    2010: St. Louis, Noblesville
    2011: St.Louis (EV), Alpine Valley x2
    2012: Pensacola, Atlanta, Memphis (EV)
    2013: Chicago, OKC
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Lexington, chicago x2
  • Options
    Last in Dallas my wife I started standing at the lights going down. Rocked out together. A group of 6 people asked us if we could sit down (they were also standing). The girlfriends could not see the show because we were standing. I told them I drove 9 hrs and no way I would sit down, I stand you guys are standing what is the problem. The guy backed off. Then durning Jeremy, I had a drink spilled down the back of my shirt, 2 guys yelling in each one of my ears and my Wrigley hat flicked off my head. At this point I took my wife a removed our self from the situation. Went and talked with security, explained the problem. They told me I had every write to stand, I told them if we went back to our seats there would be more problems. They completely understood and moved my wife and I a few sections down. Besides the local trouble makers the crowd was great last night. And the end of the night we ran into a couple sitting a few seat down from us. He asked about the situation and I explained it to him. He then told me after we left the girls moved down to our seats. A couple told them that was not their seats. One of the assholes informed them all the my seats were his season ticket seats and he had a write to the and the arena released them without his permission (whatever).
    Tonight we are back with our 10 clubbers. I know we will not be yeald at and treated that way.

Thank you Dallas ang PJ for a great night (besides the little hump).