*** Dallas Fanviews Here 11/15/13 ***

SeaSea Posts: 3,013
edited January 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
American Airlines Center
Dallas, TX
Nov. 15, 2013
Set List
With opening band Midlake

01. Pendulum-from the new album “Lightning Bolt”
02. Nothingman
03. Can’t Keep
04. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright)
05. Corduroy
06. Lightning Bolt-from the new album “Lightning Bolt”
07. Mind Your Manners-from the new album “Lightning Bolt”
08. Got Some

(Ed notes that they have friends from all over at the show tonight.  “We have played here about ten times over the last 20 years or so.  That’s not bad.  It works out to about once every two years.  We had a pretty good relationship.  We haven’t played here in about ten years and I don’t know how that happened but thanks for welcoming us back.  From up here it looks like you haven’t aged a day.  Cheers.”)

09. Brain Of J
10. World Wide Suicide
11. Given To Fly 
12. Sirens (with crowd Ah ah oh oh outro)-from the new album “Lightning Bolt”

(That was really good.  We should do another quiet sing a long.  This song is dedicated to a guy called Zonk.  He knows who he is.  This called I’m going to New Orleans (?)”)

13. Lukin
14. Not For You/Modern Girl-(Sleater Kinney)
15. Jeremy
(“We weren’t gonna say anything about it but it is coming up an anniversary of national tragedy.  And if I say the name it is going to sound weird if you cheer.  There have been many more tragedies. (lists some).  The kid that last song is about was from Richardson Texas.  We have to find a way to try and prevent more tragedies...This song is called Glorified G and thanks for listening.”)

16. Glorified G. 
(at the end of the song Ed jumps down on the subs and pours some wine for people along the barricade)
17. Infallible-from the new album “Lightning Bolt”
(during intro Ed says, “Before we continue let’s have a hand for the first band, MIdlake, local boys”)

18. Unthought Known
19. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)

(during outro Jeff and Stone switch sides of the stage)

Encore Break 1

(“I wouldn’t be a good host if I didn’t ask how everyone is doing but I mean it.  We have a nice place and no one is going to kick us out...Truly, if I don’t stop toasting soon I won’t remember this night but thats okay, they are recording it...somewhere.  The group that played before us is from Denton.  I just wanted toast them again, they were great..Cheers Midlake.  We are going to continue on with a song called ‘Yellow Moon’.”)

20. Yellow Moon-from the new album “Lightning Bolt”

(“Some of you may know, I don’t know if I have mentioned it but I have sister here in Texas.  The great thing about sisters they can introduce you to things.  Like nephews.  So this is for Garrett and Garrett’s mom.”)

21. Future Days -from the new album “Lightning Bolt”
22. Footsteps
23. Daughter
24. Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns-(Mother Love Bone, A. Wood)
(“That was for Andy Wood.  He loved Dallas.”
25. Why Go
(Ed plays a long intro for ‘Porch’ and doesn’t notice at first that the audience has started singing the song.  Once he does notice he asks them to do it again and starts the first verse over)
26. Porch

Encore Break 2

(Crowd enthusiastically welcomes the band back.  Ed says, “I warn ya, I got a brand new bottle so, thank you Pittsburgh.”  Ed talks about the club Trees and a shirt that Jeff got.  “We are going to play to a club five times bigger than Trees.  We will be right back.”

27. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town (played to audience behind the stage)
28. The Real Me-(Townshend)
29. Do The Evolution
30. Alive
31. Rockin’ In The Free World (with Carrie Brownstein (Portlandia/Sleater Kinney)  and Annie Clark (St. Vincent)
32. Indifference

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Had a great time at the show, except for the drunk frat boys that tried to start a fight with me and wife durning Jeremy. We walked way explained to security we drove 600 miles. We wanted no problems. Security was extra cool went ahead and put us n new seats a few sections over. Oh yeah, reason for the trouble because we were standund durning show and their dates could not see. Good set. The guys sounded great. Awesome venue and surrounding area to see a concert. Off to Oklahoma we go.
  • Unbelievable show. Great crowd, great energy.
  • clane880 wrote:
    Unbelievable show. Great crowd, great energy.

I would agree.
  • What an outstanding show! Tremendous energy, outstanding songs, the band KILLED it tonight. Can't wait for tomorrow in OK!
  • The first 10-11 songs were a blur. Energy was off the hook!
  • RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    really impressed w/the band tonight, that sounds like a no brainer but their energy was off the charts. jeff and stone switching sides, a group huddle and stone rocking as hard as i've ever seen him. what a sight, the break energized them to a place i was amazed to view.

thanks you boys, off to night 2 in the pit, my wife is exhausted.

p.s. blackdiamond, thanks for the 10c "app" pic, we got it after 3 tries. looking forward to finding shep tmrw for some brews at the pre-party and great job to wishlist for the gig at hob.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
    Really amazing set. The energy of the band and the crowd was off the charts. The band looked like they were all having a blast.

As for the "gun control " speech, it really wasn't. I thought Ed referenced the upcoming JFK assassination in a respectful way, and also the student Jeremy from Richardson, TX who was referenced in the song. It's an emotional topic for me and i imagine for others coming of age in Dallas at that time, when there was what seemed like an epidemic of student suicides in Plano and Richardson particularly. I thought Ed expressed himself in a non confrontational way, and that's why he got the cheers, even in Texas. Who can disagree that we need to find a way to avert these tragedies?

Thanks to the band for another great show!
  • Truly historic show. Never thought that I'd see Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns live. I've never seen Ed so happy. He truly seemed to be having a great time up there. Mike, Stone, Jeff, Matt, and Boom were smokin'! When I saw Carrie Brownstein and St. Vincent, I was sure that Harvest Moon was to follow. I was wrong but loved every minute of the show. Forgot how much I love Evolution live.

Proud of the energy Dallas brought to the show. My past shows here were mediocre from a fan perspective but tonight's crowd was great.

Can't wait to download the bootleg.
  • I agree with all the comments about the crowd, the band and the energy. All were great. (Stone was as animated and happy as I've seen him, and this was my seventh show of the tour.)

Three things:
    1. How great was the kid who was pointed at and received a tambourine from Ed!

2. Watching Jeff put a pick in Mike's mouth was oddly funny.

3. Did Ed spit out a small amount of vomit during Given to Fly?! It looked like more than spit!
    1998: Auburn Hills (8/23) | 2000: Noblesville (8/18) | 2003: Tampa (4/13), MSG (7/9) | 2004: Boston (9/28), Toledo (10/2) | 2006: Boston 1 (5/24), Boston 2 (5/25) | 2008: Mansfield 2 (6/30) | 2010: Hartford (5/15), Boston (5/17) | 2013: Wrigley Field (7/19), Worcester 1 (10/15), Worcester 2 (10/16), Brooklyn 2 (10/19), Hartford (10/25), Charlottesville (10/29), Charlotte (10/30), Dallas (11/15), Oklahoma City (11/16) | 2016: Raleigh (4/20), Boston 1 (8/5), Boston 2 (8/7) | 2018: Boston 1 (9/2), Boston 2 (9/4) | 2022: Quebec City (9/1) | 2024: Wrigley 2 (8/31), Boston 1 (9/15), Boston 2 (9/17)
  • Awesome, awesome, awesome. God, I hope we don't have to wait another decade again for them to come back.
  • It seems from the forums that this show was only the 4th time Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorn has been performed live in its entirety. Is that true? And are they offering this show in the bootlegs?
  • AMAZING! What a show!!! Thank you so much!
    san antonio tx 2003
    austin tx 2009
    EV san antonio tx 2011
    dallas tx 2013
    austin tx 2014
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited November 2013
    what a Great show! Pretty unique/ awesome set and Dallas got CROWNED! :D

footsteps, indifference, Chloe dancer/ crown of thorns, infallible, Future days (dedicated to Ed's sister/ nephew). Those were some of the highlights for me, oh, along with us, all singing "Betterman."
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • It seems from the forums that this show was only the 4th time Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorn has been performed live in its entirety. Is that true? And are they offering this show in the bootlegs?

4th time on THIS tour. 5th if you include Wrigley.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,550
    What is this EV solo song After Hours that got scratched!?
  • tcadd94tcadd94 Posts: 611
    Wow! Very nice! Happy all enjoyed! :D
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    31. Rockin’ In The Free World (with Carrie Brownstein (Portlandia/Sleater Kinney)

Oh boy. I hope her mic was turned off
  • What is this EV solo song After Hours that got scratched!?

That was probably a Lou Reed (Velvet Underground) cover....
  • Did anyone catch Midlake's set? How were they?
    * Randall's Island - Sep 28 & 29, 1996 * Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14 & 15, 1997 * Thomas and Mack Center - Jul 11, 1998 * Great Western Forum - Jul 13 & 14, 1998 * Desert Sky Pavilion - Oct 21, 2000 * MGM Grand - Oct 22, 2000 * Greek Theatre - Oct 24, 2000 * Glen Helen Blockbuster - Oct 28, 2000 * Shoreline Amphitheatre - Oct 20, 2001 * Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre - Jun 02 & 03, 2003 * San Diego Sports Arena - Jun 05, 2003 * MGM Grand - Jun 06, 2003 * Cricket Pavilion - Jun 07, 2003 * Santa Barbara - Oct 28, 2003 * Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004 * Borgata - Sep 30, 2005 * Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005 * The Forum - Jul 09 & 10, 2006 * United Center - Aug 23, 2009 * Sprint Center - May 3, 2010 * Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013 * Chesapeake Energy Arena - Nov 16, 2013
  • Did anyone catch Midlake's set? How were they?

I though they were tolerable. Their songs sounded all very similar to me. Just soft, melodic, type..... A little too much keyboard for me. They did have one song that jammed and lead guitarist really shredded it. You can tell they are really talented but would have liked to hear at least one song that was a little heavier.
  • I was concerned PJ might cut it short with Midlake opening, but I was not disappointed. The energy level of the crowd & band was outstanding. Add in the great setlist and this was a show to remember. I hope OKC is just as good.
    Pre-1013...Married to a buzzkill...
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Dallas 2013
    Oklahoma City 2013
    St. Paul 2014
    Milwaukee 2014
    Denver 2014
  • I was concerned PJ might cut it short with Midlake opening, but I was not disappointed. The energy level of the crowd & band was outstanding. Add in the great setlist and this was a show to remember. I hope OKC is just as good.
    Pre-1013...Married to a buzzkill...
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Dallas 2013
    Oklahoma City 2013
    St. Paul 2014
    Milwaukee 2014
    Denver 2014
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    Interstellar, BRAIN OF J, WWS!!, Lukin, Not For You!, Glorified G, Footsteps :shock: Gotta have this boot! Stone and Jeff switched places! :D Sounds amazing - lovin this set list!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Great show. Experienced some fairly bad sound issues like a bad echo and muffled sound. Was about midway back on the floor. Anyone else?
  • Mean Joe wrote:
    What is this EV solo song After Hours that got scratched!?

That was probably a Lou Reed (Velvet Underground) cover....

FYI here's Maureen Tucker - the VU drummer who sang After Hours on the original recording - performing it in 1989:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH9OaI1Vidg

Looking forward to a Vedder cover.
    Mansfield 7/3/2003 | Boston 5/24/2006 | Boston 5/17/2010 | Worcester 10/15-16/2013
  • Congratulations Dallas. I guess we won't get CoT or RITFW or Porch or Indifference in OKC. I hope we get Wash
    or Blood or Fuckin UP ... pls pass on YL.
    It seems from the forums that this show was only the 4th time Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorn has been performed live in its entirety. Is that true? And are they offering this show in the bootlegs?

4th time on THIS tour. 5th if you include Wrigley.
    Nacogdoches `93 Dallas`98 BSB `01 OKC `03 Houston `03 Vic `07 OKC `13 Tulsa `14  EV Tulsa 1 `12
  • GrandpaGrandpa Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Near perfect show for me. Set list was solid and FUN.
    Nothing too off the beaten path except Can't Keep.

First time I had seen them since Austin '95; 11 repeat songs, but felt like a brand new experience.
    Glad they played something off of every album--amazing. (Aww, crap, nothing from binaural--never mind, but almost)

Highlights for me:
    Nothingman
    The sirens outro
    The kid that got the tambourine who was rocking out

Thank you PJ
    Post edited by Grandpa on
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    bwamble wrote:
    Great show. Experienced some fairly bad sound issues like a bad echo and muffled sound. Was about midway back on the floor. Anyone else?
    Agree sound was okay. Sounded much better at Voo Doo. Great show and looking forward to tonight. Oh Stone's on fire and taking lots of leads.
  • JJ42005JJ42005 Posts: 119
    wow. where to begin?

I have not seen PJ in Dallas for 10 years.. and man.. they did not disappoint this town last night.

The crowds energy was phenomenal!! Thank you Dallas, i think we made the Band feel like they are welcome here anytime and that the South misses them and still knows how to show our appreciation.

The band.. wow.. they were TIGHT.. a guy beside me said.. they sound just like the CD's.. and i have to say.. it was kinda weird. but i think what he meant was they were spot on.. in every way they nailing every riff, every bass line.. every drum bit.. Vedder vocally was awesome.. best i have heard in years... the sound was very clear.. just amazing..

one comment.. fan club seats seemed kinda weird.. last time in dallas.. i was 5th row.. just off center.. and that was 10 years ago.. last night i was in row U of the wing section just to the left of the stage, Mikes side.. so.. luckily...there were empty seats below about 10 rows.. was able to move down there.. so.. we were almost right on the stage.. but we were at a weird angle.. I AM NOT complaining... the show was awesome.. and even that vantage point was different... so.. it was a new experience..

OVERALL: Fantastic show, fantastic night.. now on to OKC!!!

response to sound comment above: we didnt experience that at all.. there was one microphone squealch.. but it was over quick.. overall.. sound seemed perfect to us.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,044
    Great time and show.... To the cool people I met in the merch line and went and had a beer with while we were waiting, you all rock!! It was great meeting everyone.. Back to D.C. for me and no more shows this tour, bummer....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby