Help me and Follow me on my quest to learn Guitar through PJ

mjd327mjd327 Posts: 160
edited December 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
So yeah..anyways I'm a college student and I want to learn the guitar. That's about it really. I have mild experience but not really. I've tried on and off for years. I know all the chords and stuff, and have had lessons here and there so I'm not a total novice, but that's about it. I can't play any actual songs.

I would like to learn, and I started a topic, where people gave me some resources for tabs and stuff like that. And I decided that the best way to do this would be to post my progress as I go so people can tell me why I suck and help follow me as I hopefully get better and learn to play things?

I'm open to doing this however, and taking whatever advice I get - what songs to play, technique, lessons to look at...I dunno I'd like you to guys to help me out and follow me in my "journey."

I don't have a guitar teacher and will teach myself but figured this whole forum could be my guitar teachers. YEAH!

So I started by trying to learn two songs...Lukin, and Satan's Bed. They seemed really simple. (Also I might not learn every song at once, might learn bits and pieces.) I made two videos which...well they're not exact. Pretty much just the pieces. Remember: I really suck at the guitar. I don't know exactly what I'm doing wrong, so you guys can tell me. I know this is terrible but I'm putting myself out there anyways, so yeah.

Satan's Bed (Just shortened verse and two choruses. I can't tell why my chords sound so bad, and I dunno if I'm strumming wrong but it sounds like I'm breaking the strings or something.):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yAlaDArrRM

Lukin (I added a second chorus I don't really know why. I sang along a bit but if you guys want I won't do that, I didn't even try to sound like Eddie I pretty much went through the motions because well, I can't actually sound like Eddie Vedder. My Marshall amp sucks because if I add distortion it suddenly becomes really loud and I dunno how to get audio straight to my computer, and I can't play that loudly in an apartment, so clean tone on everything.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2m3SWyatMA

So yeah. This is where we begin. Maybe we'll end with me playing well! Or maybe I'll always suck. I dunno....what do I play now? do I keep working on these or try something easier? Does this topic get totally ignored or will we continue for months? Who knows! Let's see!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    As a dude who completely blows at guitar, I have very little to offer you other than my best wishes. Keep at it bro!
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    justinguitar.com
  • mjd327mjd327 Posts: 160
    Also I tried this one before giving up because I'm ruining a Top 3 Pearl Jam song.

Elderly Woman:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B87Wez6ZsGY
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    justinguitar.com

I could just do it on there but it seemed fun to do it here so people can laugh at me while I suck and hopefully see me improve.

feel free to laugh at me lol
  • I would suggest learning some power chords to make songs like "Lukin" much easier. Also, timing is a big part of playing. Just listen to the songs and play along. Your timing will drastically improve by using this simple technique.
    2009: Philly 3 & 4
    2010: Newark, MSG I
    2011: EV Philly
    2012: Philly MIA
    2013: Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Philly 1 & 2, Baltimore
    InsideMan wrote:
    I would suggest learning some power chords to make songs like "Lukin" much easier. Also, timing is a big part of playing. Just listen to the songs and play along. Your timing will drastically improve by using this simple technique.

Yeah I know the power chords but for some reason I can't jump between them.
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    Looks like we gots ourselves a Cobain here! Are you a lefty?

Anyways, I'll pass on some advice. First of all: Your attitude towards learning appears to be right in check. I sense a "fuck it" attitude and that's all the motivation I think one really needs. Don't lose that.

So, how long have you been playing in total then?? I was seriously impressed by your coordination to be able to sing while playing rather coherently and in sync. This skill took me two years to even ATTEMPT to try. So, if you're able to sing and play this early on, you've got some ground covered.

Finger exercises will do you nothing but GOOD! Try this and do it often to build finger strength. It's like "wax-on, wax-off" Daniel Son! You can't just start learning how to drop-kick and karate chop young squire. You've got to put in the time and learn some technique ;)

Put your first finger on the low E string and then take your 2nd finger and hammer on, then pull off of the 2nd fret on the same string. Repeat until your finger gets exhausted. Keep your first finger on the first fret, and when your 2nd finger gets exhausted, take your 3rd finger and hammer on and pull off on the 3rd fret, same string. Do that until exhaustion. Then take your 4th finger and hammer on and pull off on the 4th fret until exhaustion. Do it as fast as you can. Once your 4th finger is exhausted, start working your way back down to the first finger. ie, when the 4th finger (pinky finger) is exhausted from hammering on and pulling off of the 4th fret (remember to keep your first finger glued to the first fret throughout this), then move back to your 3rd finger and hammer on and pull off on the 3rd fret and work your way back to the first finger. Repeat this process until your hand goes "Upside down face Stewie Griffin" on ya. Then, move up your whole position to the 2nd fret and repeat the whole thing. Then move it up to the 3rd fret and repeat. Then up to the 4th fret. The point of all of this is to start training your brain (well, your fingers really) the amount of space between each fret to the point it becomes 2nd nature. I've been playing for 17 years and I still do this exercise. Do this all over the guitar. Once your done on the low E string, do it on the A string and go all the way up the fret board. Then do it on the D string. etc. etc. You won't be able to do this for very long when you're first learning guitar, but don't forget this exercise and repeat it often.

String bending: similar to the above exercise except, instead of hammer-ons and pull-offs, do string bending. Bend the strings up, and bend them down. Starting, again, with your first finger on the low E string, first fret. Take your 2nd finger and just start bending the string up and down on the 2nd fret until the pain sets in. Keep your first finger on the 1st fret and take your 3rd finger and start bending the string up and down on the 3rd fret. Keep going with this, moving up to your 4th finger, then work your way back down to your first finger. Then move your position up to the 2nd fret and repeat it. Do this all over the guitar. Forever. Until you die.

Keep up with them tabs. Grab a printer and print off all the songs you want to learn and fill up a 3 inch binder.

Play with your eyes closed. Start doing this now.

Curious as to what kind of strings your using? Just be aware that there are some strings that are easier to play with than others. A good set of strings will run ya $20. D'Addario Phosphor Bronze (whatever guage you prefer: light, medium or heavy) are great strings. Elixer's are good as well and worth experimenting with.

The rest, young squire, is up to you. Keep on rockin!
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    Best of luck!! I just started a year ago, but I agree, follow Justin's beginner course and then go from there (finger exercises, etc., are great). One thing I did at the beginning was time the number of times I could switch between 2 chords in a minute, to get my speed down. Justin has a video lesson on that I think. If you're having a hard time with chord changes I think that's a good place to start.
  • Good luck! Tho I don't have much advice for you!..... Driftin' seems pretty simple.
  • LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    You're doing really well for a beginner. Some advice. Try to slow it down and focus on the rhythms of the strumming. It's easier to keep in time when it's slower. Try playing along with the studio versions. PJ songs are often much faster live. Just keep playing with the record over and over and over. The more you practice the better you'll get.
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    It's also harder trying to sing and play at the same time when you're starting out because sometimes the vocal timing is different than the guitar rhythm timing.
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
    evsgjamm wrote:
    Looks like we gots ourselves a Cobain here! Are you a lefty?

Haha, didn't even notice until you said that but while I am lefty, I play guitar right-handed (for no real reason besides that that's how I did it on guitar hero lol). The reason it looks lefty is because I'm using Photo Booth on my Mac to record and it's flipping the video (since it records you like you're looking into a mirror)

Just seemed like the easiest way to record things for the computer.

Now, as for experience. Since around...9th grade or maybe even a little before I've been trying to play on and off, but never stuck with it for more than a little while. I took a couple lessons but never practiced much, mostly because I had to practice piano and do homework and stuff, and so I learned the chords but was never able to play any songs or anything.

Then I got Rocksmith for my Xbox and thought it was fun and wanted to get better at guitar, and since Ive gotten majorly into Pearl Jam I thought it'd be fun to finally learn how to do stuff by using Pearl Jam songs as a motivation.

As for how long I've been playing in total, it's been so on and off I don't know exactly how to quantify it. I guess I'm not a total beginner in that I know the basic technique and I know the chords and stuff like that, and power chords etc, but I never have actually played any songs or solos or anything.

I don't remember what my strings are...I'll have to check when I'm home from school for Thanksgiving. I do know I probably should change them as I probably haven't changed my strings in years (But haven't played much either).

Also it's good advice when people said I should play with the studio versions, that should help me time especially because I have live versions stuck in my head (As seen by Lukin and Satan's bed being especially fast lmao)

Any songs that are even easier than those? Someone said Driftin is pretty easy? How about other acoustic songs like Thumbin my Way and Thin Air? Thin Air didn't seem so bad or corduroy, I looked at basics on them, but I want one that I can like perfect and say "Okay I know that one now"
    My take on Driftin after practicing for like a half hour. This is a good choice for a beginner song I think. Tuning down the guitar was weird...I don't think it's quite right but it's close enough I guess. It's literally three chords (G,C,D) but switching between them for me was good practice. I still need work (I always only "sort of" get the chord) but it's the closest I've got in any of my songs I think so far haha. My goal is to be able to check off that I know every Pearl Jam song (OR CLOSE at least lol). Not quite ready to check this one off as completed, but it's going to be probably the easiest one to do.

Driftin:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1xkBgpd3H8

BTW if anybody has a better way for me to record video I do have a Rocksmith cable that can hook my guitar up to GarageBand but I've never done it. Let me know if there's a better way to make these videos.
    BHealy wrote:
    Best of luck!! I just started a year ago, but I agree, follow Justin's beginner course and then go from there (finger exercises, etc., are great). One thing I did at the beginning was time the number of times I could switch between 2 chords in a minute, to get my speed down. Justin has a video lesson on that I think. If you're having a hard time with chord changes I think that's a good place to start.

Im going through the courses now like you guys said in addition to working on the songs I've been posting. I think it's a good idea. I mean I know how to do the chords, but I never really worked on the changes and it's really helpful for how he breaks it down so much that I can pick up on things I missed (I never really perfected the A chord).

The one minute changes things sounds like a good idea.
  • bchagnonbchagnon Posts: 164
    Some may have differing opinions but I've always thought it was best to learn on an acoustic.

This helps tremendously with finger strength. You'll notice a vast improvement when you move back to the electric.

As far as PJ songs are concerned: start with all the open chord based songs and get that down (seems like you've basically been doing this). Elderly, driftin, not for you, long road, thin air, etc...

Also, I applaud you putting yourself out there. I've been playing guitar (and a lot of PJ at that) for 15 years or more and do not have the balls to post videos of me playing.

Another good song that incorporates some easy finger picking and a pretty easy open chord chorus is Betterman. But save that (it) for later. See what I did there?

"Leave it to me as I find a way to be.
    Consider me a satellite forever orbiting.
    I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me.
    Guaranteed."
  • mjd327 wrote:
    evsgjamm wrote:
    Any songs that are even easier than those? Someone said Driftin is pretty easy? How about other acoustic songs like Thumbin my Way and Thin Air? Thin Air didn't seem so bad or corduroy, I looked at basics on them, but I want one that I can like perfect and say "Okay I know that one now"

Last Kiss is as easy as they get
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

bchagnon wrote:
    Some may have differing opinions but I've always thought it was best to learn on an acoustic.

This helps tremendously with finger strength. You'll notice a vast improvement when you move back to the electric.

As far as PJ songs are concerned: start with all the open chord based songs and get that down (seems like you've basically been doing this). Elderly, driftin, not for you, long road, thin air, etc...

Also, I applaud you putting yourself out there. I've been playing guitar (and a lot of PJ at that) for 15 years or more and do not have the balls to post videos of me playing.

I agree- Elderly Woman...is the first PJ song I learned to play all the way through- here's a lesson that I found super helpful. http://youtu.be/eAEndKstO7w

I also, mostly, agree with the idea of learning on an acoustic to start with. I'm a beginner too, I've just been playing for a year, so keep that in mind when you're reading this :D I found that I did develop finger strength starting on an acoustic, but I do have trouble sometimes pressing too hard on the higher strings on my electric and changing the tone.
  • Practice. That's how you get the strumming, picking, chord changes. I'm not being a smart ass. Pick up that guitar and play every spare second you can. It will improve.
  • Years ago I took No Code to my guitar teacher wanting to learn to play Off He Goes. He said I wasn't quite there yet but tabbed out Habit for me. That was actually pretty simple. Drop D tuning and some power chords. I don't have the tabs in front of me or anything and the solo is quite a different animal but that may be one you could play with the distortion for sure. I had a great time playing that one until I hung the guitar up for a while. I recently started picking mine up again and want to go on a similar quest as you. Best of luck.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Thumbing My Way is a pretty simple one to learn too
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
    Last Kiss seemed a little complicated to me, since it's not just strumming, he's playing pretty specific notes it sounds like and the tabs seem to show the same. I dunno how to do that really.

I think I'll work on elderly woman and check out thumbing my way and thin air. And keep practicing Driftin.

Anybody have advice on what to do with garageband? Is there a way I can get tones similar to the ones they use? I really have no idea how that program works at all.
  • lyearslyears Posts: 212
    In Hiding is a good one to learn: http://giventowail.com/tab/pearl-jam/yield/in-hiding

Good luck!
    Hyde Park 25/06/10 - Manchester 20/06/12 - Leeds 08/07/14
    Try Brain of J! I just found the tab today on the Given to Wail site. Just tune your guitar to Open- D (D-A-D-F#-A-D, I think) and start wailing away barring across all the strings on the 9, 8, 7th frets. Its fun. Here's a clip I made:

https://soundcloud.com/bhealy31/brain

P.s. I probably have the up/down strum direction wrong on the intro (among other things).
  • mjd327 wrote:
    Last Kiss seemed a little complicated to me, since it's not just strumming, he's playing pretty specific notes it sounds like and the tabs seem to show the same. I dunno how to do that really.

I wouldn't worry yourself too much about that. All the specific notes being played are just hitting different sets of strings from within the base chords, or doing some improvised noodling around those chords. At this point you should be focusing on getting the rhythm of the song, not getting lost in the tabs.

The basic structure of Last Kiss (G-Em-C-D) is very easy. Start by strumming those along with the song and eventually you will learn which strings to hit and what noodling to do to make it sound more like how they play it.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    the rhythm to black is easy as pie too and a great way to get good practice at those open chords.
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    edited November 2013
    There's an entire section of this forum dedicated to guitar, you know:
    http://community.pearljam.com/viewforum.php?f=8

That said, I took up guitar in January and found that there are some relatively easy PJ songs.

- Black is easy if you play just the chords (E, A, C, D and Em): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAFUUKMAE_E
    - The intro to Immortality is pretty easy once you figure out which strings to pluck (your fingers stay stationary pretty much the whole time).
    - The intro to Corduroy is pretty easy too.

Ultimate Guitar is another good site I use to find PJ (and other) tabs: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

I also recommend Justin Guitar as a few others have pointed out (http://www.justinguitar.com/). I honestly would not limit your learning to JUST PJ songs . . . watch Justin's beginner lessons and it will help a ton: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCAAA4629624F20D8

There are other songs & sites too . . . just have a search through this forum and the web. You'll find tons of resources! Keep practicing! The chords will come. 10 months ago I thought there would be no way I could figure out the chords and know which strings to hold and at what point . . . . but it comes, believe me. I'm far from an expert and have A LOT to learn still, but I have come super far in less than a year....
    Post edited by nevmiles on
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • A year ago I picked up a guitar for the first time as well. And like you, I bought rocksmith which was great for learning your technique.
    For learning songs it didn't really work for me, just can't seem to remember any song I play with that game.

What does work for me is Martyjamz
    http://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs
    PJ: Amsterdam 27-06-2012, Pittsburgh 11-10-2013, Buffalo 12-10-2013, Worcester 15-10-2013, Amsterdam 16-06-2014, Amsterdam 17-06-2014
    So I've been going through JustinGuitar's beginner course now, along with doing some work on PJ songs too. I like his course and I've gone through the first beginner stage, where you learn D,A, and E chords. I don't want to go too fast but I feel like I'm beyond this stage because the songs he teaches are pretty easy and VERY simplified versions. So I'm thinking I'll go a bit further and move on quickly so I can get to some more interesting songs to learn. But it has been helpful because his way of teaching the A chord is way better than the ways I tried to do it. I always glossed over that chord and never could really play it but now I can and I also like how he teaches switching between those 3 chords.

His one minute changes exercise has also been helpful.

I think I'll work on Last Kiss next, and continue working on Driftin' which I think is the first one I can probably pretty much complete if I can perfect the C and G chord switches (G to D is pretty easy).

I thank the people recommending JustinGuitar because it's been helpful.
    Right on!! I'm glad you're finding your way! Have a blast. I am.
  • The first song I played along with when I was learning was Long Road. It's a very easy song, the chord changes are nice and slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDth-pt9hk