Options

How About a Pearl Jam Obscure Fact Repository

Comments

• Options
    teeman wrote:
    'Gimme Some Truth' was the song Eddie originally planned on performing for "America: A Tribute to Heroes" as a statement against the political climate post-9/11. In the end, however, he decided to take part in the healing process with 'Long Road.'

Do you have a source on this one?
    Where, oh, where did my article go?
    The internet needs to do a better job of saving this stuff :oops:
  • Options
    Cliff Poncier= Jeff and Eddie's love child.
    Matt Dillon's character on Singles, Cliff, physical appearance was an amalgam of Jeff and Eddie. For a couple thousand bucks, Cameron Crowe and co. borrowed Jeff's clothing for Dillon and cut off a "big chunk" of Eddie's hair to make a wig! That wig belongs in the PJ20 museum!
  • Options
    pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    edited November 2013
    According to Billy Corgan, Pearl Jam was on the verge of losing interest from their label during the '91 RHCP, SP, and PJ tour. I know how grateful the guys are for having been added to the bill. Who knows, that tour may have saved them from being dropped by Sony. But I'll let Billy tell it.

"Pearl Jam's album had just come out, and they put out their first song, which was "Alive," and it was doing okay but it wasn't doing amazing. It was doing okay. And I walked into their dressing room at some point or something and they all had sad faces on. And I said, "What's going on?" And they were like, "We just found out that the record company is gonna pull all our money and we may even have to cancel the rest of the dates on the tour for us." And this was a successful tour. Chili Peppers had "Under the Bridge" and it went on to be a very big album for them. And it was a lot of energy, the tour was very exciting. And I was like, "Wow, that's incredible" and they were like, "Yeah, we don't know what to do." And of course like a week later, MTV added "Alive" and it became a massive hit. But I actually saw it happen with another band which obviously went on to be very successful. Of them sitting there going, "What the fuck are we gonna do?" And that's the part that a normal fan... it's not their problem, but a normal fan doesn't understand those moments in a musician's life ..."
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • Options
    NadjaZNadjaZ Posts: 33
    Dear Pearl Jam Fans,

I have a huge request,
    we are a man and woman from Germany/Berlin, Pearl Jam Fans since 20 years and can win a travel to the concert in Seattle with our local radio station. For this we need your help as much as possible.
    Can you vote for us to be the winner TODAY and very often!!! at

http://www.rockland.fm/start.php?uservoting

just click for Nadja and Thorsten and see our marry proposal on the vinyl as love letters.

Till thursday evening in Germany the winner will be announced in the radio. So long we need much much more votings to have a chance!!!

I have no Idea how to contact as many fans as possible.

So if you all can please send this to more fans, because they know how great this would be to meet Pearl Jam.

Please vote for the two of us as often as you have the time for (you can vote ever and ever again)
    thank you so much for this support,
    Nadja
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    NadjaZ wrote:
    Dear Pearl Jam Fans,

I have a huge request,
    we are a man and woman from Germany/Berlin, Pearl Jam Fans since 20 years and can win a travel to the concert in Seattle with our local radio station. For this we need your help as much as possible.
    Can you vote for us to be the winner TODAY and very often!!! at

http://www.rockland.fm/start.php?uservoting

just click for Nadja and Thorsten and see our marry proposal on the vinyl as love letters.

Till thursday evening in Germany the winner will be announced in the radio. So long we need much much more votings to have a chance!!!

I have no Idea how to contact as many fans as possible.

So if you all can please send this to more fans, because they know how great this would be to meet Pearl Jam.

Please vote for the two of us as often as you have the time for (you can vote ever and ever again)
    thank you so much for this support,
    Nadja

Please stop posting this everywhere. Keep it to the thread that you started. This does not belong here (or in the Phoenix review thread, or anywhere else)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Love this thread.

10/5/93 Pearl Jam played a surprise secret show at the Off Ramp to prep for the Vs. tour

10/25/93 - The Off Ramp: Seattle, WA
    attendance: 299
    set: Go, Animal, Baba O'Riley, Daughter, Dissident, Even Flow, Glorified G, Indifference, Once, Rats, Rearviewmirror, State of Love and Trust, Why Go, WMA, My Generation
    notes: A "secret" show in preparation for their tour in support of Vs.

We waited for hours outside trying to get in and were told NO ONE ELSE is getting in according to the fire marshal. McCready was waving at us from the top floor dressing room window.

To our dismay, right as the band started new Seahawks quarterback Rick Mirer walked right to the front of the line and was let right in.

Mirer was just selected #2 overall in the 1993 draft by the Seahawks. He started off well but rapidly sucked and was traded. PJ should have let me in instead.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    Tuesday night in Phoenix Ed changed the lyrics of Down to say "time to throw these cigarettes away' instead of 'these fucking pills' away.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    Eddie has a bong in the likeness of Michael Jordan

TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    San Diego

At one point, Ed has the lights turned on saying the band had sushi that night, he has some leftover rice and wants to "try something." He flings the rice into the crowd and it spews out in a million pieces. He says, "Now that's not Minute Rice. It was supposed to stick together." Apparently he was trying to launch a ball of the rice into the balcony

TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    The Incredible Floating Head of Pete Townshend

Ever notice that giant portrait of Pete Townshend behind Eddie.
    EV_TenSessjpg
    Well, it just so happened to have been part of the stage design for Bad Radio. Go to the 3:30 mark if you're interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjI9XzMHVdk
    It skipped town with Ed and eventually was put in a frame and found a nice home at the PJ warehouse.
    pj4comprjpg
    PJ20at20The20Warehouse20January202009-2jpg
    And here is the original source.
    Emptyglassjpg
  • Options
    EmmEmm Posts: 196
    The Incredible Floating Head of Pete Townshend

Ever notice that giant portrait of Pete Townshend behind Eddie-
    https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/images/medium/EV_TenSess.jpg
    Well, it just so happened to have been part of the set design for Bad Radio. Go to the 3:30 mark if you're interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjI9XzMHVdk
    It skipped town with Eddie and eventually was put in a frame and found a nice home in the PJ warehouse
    http://www.twofeetthick.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/pj4compr.jpg
    http://www.pearljamonline.it/LP9/Unofficial%20Photos/PJ%20at%20The%20Warehouse,%20January%202009-2.jpg

Sorry for all the crazy links but the dimensions are too big to paste any of the pix here. Except this one.
    Emptyglass.jpg

wheres the rest of the story in the last link?? :D
    Breath, breathe, engulfing .... Consuming, so beautiful ... Life ...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Mike McCready- The Shiva of Rock
    Shiva, the Hindu god of destruction/creation embodies itself during Mike's part in 2 Pearl Jam songs, "Go" and "Brain of J.F.K."
    He ends the recording in each of those songs with the levitation, crash, and possible demise of a six-string instrument. For "Go" it was a yellow Telecaster and for "Brain of J," a Fender bass. Both of which made it onto the final take and can especially be heard on "Brain of J." I'm sure the guitar tech is thankful he never replicates that sound live, except that one time for "Brain of J" during the MW radio broadcast captured in "The Fans are Alright".
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Ron Anderson has been credited with giving Eddie singing lessons

We all know Eddie began his career as a self-taught singer. But it makes sense at some point he might be interested in learning tricks of the trade to help either, realize his potential or at the very least preserve his capabilities so he can still knock us off our feet in his late-40's. So this Ron Anderson has been credited as a vocal coach for everyone from Mary J. Blige to LeAnn Rimes to Chris Cornell and, of course EV.

It would be really interesting to know when and what lessons he took from Anderson. There has been a lot of evolution in Eddie's delivery over the years, e.g. in '95 when he really loosened his throat or by the time of Binaural which he admits to finding his own "voice". I'm not that into the technical aspects of music but I think an interview with EV about his singing, which is the main instrument of the band, done comparable to Stone and Mike's Guitar World interviews is long overdue.
  • Options
    Ron Anderson has been credited with giving Eddie singing lessons

We all know Eddie began his career as a self-taught singer. But it makes sense at some point he might be interested in learning tricks of the trade to help either, realize his potential or at the very least preserve his capabilities so he can still knock us off our feet in his late-40's. Anyways, this Ron Anderson has been credited as a vocal coach for everyone from Mary J. Blige to LeAnn Rimes to Chris Cornell and, of course EV.

It would be really interesting to know when and what lessons he took from Anderson. There has been a lot of evolution in Eddie's delivery over the years, e.g. in '95 when he really loosened his throat or by the time of Binaural which he admits to finding his own "voice". I'm not that into the technical aspects of music but I think an interview with EV about his singing, which is the main instrument of the band, done comparable to Stone and Mike's Guitar World interviews is long overdue.

Love this thread!
    I've been especially curious about whether or not EV's had a vocal coach, so thanks!

:)
  • Options
    firstweek.jpg

A nice personalized Mookie Blaylock first recording from Eddie. I imagine this might have been given to the same ex-roommate of Ed's named Mike who also wrote and eventually abandoned an Eddie Vedder biography about his days in San Diego. This is right up there with the Mamason tape, in terms of historical significance.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    teeman wrote:
    'Gimme Some Truth' was the song Eddie originally planned on performing for "America: A Tribute to Heroes" as a statement against the political climate post-9/11. In the end, however, he decided to take part in the healing process with 'Long Road.'

Where, oh, where did my article go?
    The internet needs to do a better job of saving this stuff :oops:

It's in Pearl Jam Twenty, the book, on pg 247.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    teeman wrote:

Excellent. You think that would have been the first spot I checked :)
  • Options
    As documented in PJ20, the footage from 01/11/91 at Town Pump in Vancouver, BC during 'Breath' has been credited as the defining moment when "shy" Eddie became super "intense" Eddie.

However, as dynamic as that scene was, Jeff credits the show previous on 01/10/91 at Harpo’s in Victoria, BC as, in his words, the "big turning point for Eddie." The event that transpired on that particular night included an ambivalent audience completely disinterested in the opening act, Mookie Blaylock. To make his case, Eddie unscrewed the steel base from the microphone stand and proceeded to launch it an entire 50-60 ft. to the other end of the club, supposedly inches above their heads, until it crashed against the back wall.

From here on in, it became, according to Jeff a "circus event" as far as Eddie's stage persona was concerned.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

Excellent. You think that would have been the first spot I checked :)

I remember reading it there, and it's word for word from the book.

Google is your friend, although, let's face it, he or she is friend who knows WAY too much about you.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    We all know how strong Pearl Jam was in their convictions during the Ticketmaster debacle. It sidelined and strained the touring aspect of the band in the mid-90s. Once Pearl Jam rescinded so they could finally play in normal venues again, they reclaimed their status as the touring band we all know, love, and follow around. But at one point, they were so compelled to never fall under the control of Ticketmaster that Kelly Curtis offered this statement in 1995:

"It would be impossible to do a normal tour without Ticketmaster. But what that means is Pearl Jam will probably never do a regular tour again."
  • Options
    Another studio recording of 'Yellow Ledbetter' exists with actual complete lyrics!

Disclaimer: I am inferring this definitive version of YL has real lyrics because Kelly contrasts it to the mumbling b-side version in this 2001 article.
    -Among the treasures... a "proper" studio recording of fan favorite "Yellow Ledbetter" to replace the lo-fi import version. "Eddie [Vedder] kind of mumbled through that one," Curtis notes. "I don't think he even had the lyrics together when they did that."
  • Options
    Gotta give Kelly Curtis props for a couple things in particular.
    -initiating and then gathering up all the managers to orchestrate the Vote for Change tour, which couldn't have been an easy endeavor.
    - coming up with the idea in 2000 to sell bootlegs for every show. Seems so obvious now, but at the time it was a pretty bold move.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Chris Friel- The PJ drummer that never was.
    It's true Mike wanted his old bandmate from Shadow, Chris, to tryout for the drummer position after Dave A. was let go but never got the chance.
    Still, he was included in the Gossard instrumental demos and the version of Footsteps on the Mamason tape features Chris.
    And even though he never got to audition in 1994, somehow he still managed to drum for Pearl Jam when they backed up Jim Carroll on the song 'Catholic Boy.'
  • Options
    If anyone made it out to the early shows on the 2006 'Worldwide Tour' then they were lucky enough to witness super-sweet green lasers during 'Severed Hand' and 'Inside Job'. But once the band caught on that the added special effect was costing them a $1,000 a night, they quickly abandoned it. It's good to be frugal, but still... lasers!
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,083
    They used the lasers on the entire US tour, no? I heard bout that reason, but thought they stopped after the tour.
  • Options
    ceska wrote:
    They used the lasers on the entire US tour, no? I heard bout that reason, but thought they stopped after the tour.
    You could be right. I checked a couple West Coast shows and didn't see the lasers. But that doesn't mean they didn't use it for others.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Delete
  • Options
    Like many singers, Eddie has an oxygen mask handy to use before performances.
  • Options
    Shortly after 'Parting Ways' was soundchecked by Pearl Jam in Barcelona during the No Code tour, EV recorded that song along with MFC among other songs in Rome. He formed a trio in the studio (and played a couple shows) with 2 Italians by the names of Fausto and Francesco. This also sets a pattern for Eddie's later 3-piece bands with C-Average, and Flea + Jack Irons.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Matt Cameron's favorite PJ song (at least in 2009) also happens to be the most difficult for him to play- ' Who You Are.' Difficult or not, Matt was the reason that song finally got added to the setlist in 2008 for, I think, the first time since Jack left.

Another quick Matt fact: I don't know if this is normal or not but his drum tech, Jim Vincent, admitted Matt plays so hard that he "bends so many cymbals... There's no chance of a second show on a snare head."