Options

How About a Pearl Jam Obscure Fact Repository

Comments

• Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    In 1995:
    While surfing with Tim Finn in New Zealand on March 25, 1995, Vedder was carried 250 feet (76 m) off the coast and had to be rescued by lifeguards.

In 2005:
    Vedder was rescued from a drowning death when Hawaiian fishermen spotted the rocker bobbing about in the waves.
    Vedder was paddling an outrigger canoe between the islands of Oahu and Molokai with local singer/songwriter Jack Johnson's dad when the vessel overturned in rough seas, leaving Vedder trying to stay afloat miles away from land.
    Johnson tells Rolling Stone magazine, "It was a big-wave day and they lost him in the swells. There was no way we could get back to him." Johnson reveals Vedder was only lost at sea for a few minutes before island fishermen rescued him.

In 2015:
    STAY OUT OF THE WATER!
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    EmmEmm Posts: 196
    Ty wrote:
    In 1995:
    While surfing with Tim Finn in New Zealand on March 25, 1995, Vedder was carried 250 feet (76 m) off the coast and had to be rescued by lifeguards.

In 2005:
    Vedder was rescued from a drowning death when Hawaiian fishermen spotted the rocker bobbing about in the waves.
    Vedder was paddling an outrigger canoe between the islands of Oahu and Molokai with local singer/songwriter Jack Johnson's dad when the vessel overturned in rough seas, leaving Vedder trying to stay afloat miles away from land.
    Johnson tells Rolling Stone magazine, "It was a big-wave day and they lost him in the swells. There was no way we could get back to him." Johnson reveals Vedder was only lost at sea for a few minutes before island fishermen rescued him.

In 2015:
    STAY OUT OF THE WATER!

:o :shock:
    Breath, breathe, engulfing .... Consuming, so beautiful ... Life ...
  • Options
    Ever wonder the origin of the scar on Mike McCready's forehead? Came courtesy of Mr. EV!
    From an interview circa 2001

MM: That was when Pearl Jam was playing in San Francisco about seven years ago and I was really high on mushrooms, and I went running into Eddie and we started tumbling and rolling around on the stage and he smacked me on the head with the mic.

DA: On purpose?

MM: He might have on purpose. I'm sure I was playing badly out of key that night. I got up and there was just massive blood coming down my face. I never really got it taken care of because I was tripping out.
  • Options
    This fact is debatable, but if true than it is too good to keep to myself. Scouring the Rumor Pit for a time when the PJ organization could be a bit more transparent while the internet community was still in its infancy, I came across this tidbit:

From January 12, 1997
    Rumor pit #21
    Q: On a Tower Records commercial, professional, multi-camera footage was shown of Hail, Hail from a live concert. Is there going to be a live show video released? When?
    A: Hope so.

From that coy response, I am going to infer the existence of pro-shot video from 1996 which would be amazing footage to see from such a reclusive era. I always felt the No Code tour had the worst quality bootleg videos than any other year, so this gives me hope when reissue time comes around!
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    edited November 2013
    1995 Australian tour:

How did a young Melbourne band, signed to a small independent record company, get to go on the road with one of the biggest bands in the world?

By meeting - and beating - them at a tenpin bowling alley THE MEANIES were in Seattle in the US playing and recording, when they went to a rock 'n' roll bowling night, featuring members of Pearl Jam, Mudhoney and Supersuckers. "We were up against Eddie Vedder, who was there with his wife, Beth", Wally Meanie (real name Wally Kempton) recalls.

"We kicked his butt and he prmoised that if Pearl Jam ever toured Australia, we could support them."

Eighteen months later, Pearl Jam arrived and Eddie was true to his word - The Meanies played to more than 100,000 people across Australia. The two bands didn't go bowling again, but they did hang out at some drag queen clubs in Sydney, "places where they wouldn't be mobbed".

The Meanies' record label, Au-Go-Go, now expects that the single and album, 10% Weird, will make it into the mainstream charts. It means that The Meanies will now be taken seriously. "People haven't always understood that we are a serious entity", Wally says of the band, whose members all take the last name "Meanie" (a la the Ramones).

"Sure, the main ingredient is fun, but if we were a novelty band we wouldn't have been around for six years". The next cover is It's A Long Way To The Top, for the upcoming AC/DC tribute album.

"BMG gave us a huge budget to record the song, so with the money left over we want to recreate that film clip down Melbourne's Swanston Street." The Meanies will tour Europe later this year and the US, where Vedder says he will get the band a record deal.
    Post edited by Ty on
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    Ty wrote:
    In 1995:

In 2005:

In 2015:
    STAY OUT OF THE WATER!

So you're saying that Eddie is the gremmie that's out of control?
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    Here are some other alternate album titles for the second album before they settled on Vs.
    Mike came up with 'A Shark in Blood Waters'
    Jeff's suggestion was 'Paul's Dead'
    Ed's favorite for awhile was simply 'Al' (in honor of Aleister Crowley)
  • Options
    great thread :clap::clap:
  • Options
    Remember Atlanta '94 during Glorified G, Eddie changed the lyrics to "that's okay man, cuz I love FROGS!" You probably thought he was referring to the band, The Frogs, but here's another take ;)
    This is from an article from March '95:

"Rock band wants frog dissection cut out

The rock band Pearl Jam wants to change the way students learn biology. The Seattle (Washington) band is calling for an end to frog dissections in classrooms. Pearl Jam singer, Eddie Vedder, is a member of the animal rights group, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). Vedder and his fellow PETA members want schools to end the practice of carving up frogs in science classes. They suggest replacing real frogs with life-size models or using simulations.

As part of their effort "to cut out dissection," the musicians have set up a toll-free U.S. phone number, 1-800-95FROGS. Students who call the number will be sent a petition which urges school principals to ban frog dissections in their schools.

And to make sure students participate in the petition drive, Pearl Jam is offering an incentive. The first 50 students to send in their signed petitions will receive a T-shirt, poster or record album autographed by Vedder."

But here was Pearl Jam's official response:

"...PJ states that they did not lend their name to the PETA Save-the-Frog project and in no way endorsed the compaign launched last week while PJ was touring out of the country. The band in fact had no knowledge of PETA's Save-the-Frog campaign until after it had been announced to the public.
    While Eddie Vedder is a PETA member and has been a PETA supporter for some time, the band has not endorsed any specific PETA campaign to date.

"What the band wants to make clear," says PJ spokeswoman Colleen Combs, "is that whether you decide to save the frogs or dissect them, do it because you are making your own informed choice, not because someone told you to do it, not because you thought PJ was doing it, and not because you thought you could get a free CD."

Years later, in 2008, Eddie was recognized for his work with PETA among other causes:

“Eddie Vedder is nominated for mtvU’s Good Woodie Award for humanitarian efforts involving veterans’ issues, the Bridge School Benefit, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), and children’s music programs.”
  • Options
    I love listening to Vault #3. And I'm sure I would have loved listening to it 15 years ago, when it was originally planned for release!
    This comes courtesy from fivehorizons.com (a fairly reliable source of info from back in the day).

"Live on Two Legs
    October 21, 1998: Well, that's the title of the live album. =) (Revised at the last minute from Pearl Jam Live At Constitution Hall. Obviously, they were thinking about releasing the entire Vote For Choice show -- "
  • Options
    The No Code Tour that never happened...
    In the spring of 1997, Pearl Jam planned on more touring in support of No Code across the U.S. and Canada. Probably not too different in how they divided the Backspacer tour between 2009 and 2010. Anyways, the tour subsequently got pushed back to the summer of '97. Then, obviously, the whole thing got scrapped. The reason being Jack Irons wasn't mentally ready to tackle another tour. And we all know the rest of the story- they stayed home and took their time to record another album, with such hits as 'The Color Red' and 'Hummus.'
  • Options
    Eddie's very first guitar was a Memphis Les Paul copy when he was 11 or 12, but his "first real guitar" was a Telecaster bought while working at a drugstore. It is now referred to as "EV Electric Uketar" because it's strung as a ukulele. You can hear it on Riot Act's "Can't Keep'" and Lost Dogs' "4/20/02".
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    I read somewhere that "Go" was inspired by Eddie's old truck failing on him. Always made me love the song more.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    TheGhost wrote:
    I read somewhere that "Go" was inspired by Eddie's old truck failing on him. Always made me love the song more.

That actually makes a ton of sense.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    Ever wonder the origin of the scar on Mike McCready's forehead? Came courtesy of Mr. EV!

MM: That was when Pearl Jam was playing in San Francisco about seven years ago and I was really high on mushrooms, and I went running into Eddie and we started tumbling and rolling around on the stage and he smacked me on the head with the mic.

MM: He might have on purpose. I'm sure I was playing badly out of key that night. I got up and there was just massive blood coming down my face. I never really got it taken care of because I was tripping out.

Wow! I'm surprised that didn't happen more often in the early days. I was just watching PinkPop and Ed was swinging the mic stand around and almost smashed Jeff. :o
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    Matt Cameron was the first-ever drummer for Queens of the Stone Age
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    Matt Cameron was in"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" singing a song called.... what was it?.... something like "puberty blues"? Anyone?
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    That's cool. And the first QOTSA album was on Stone's Loosegrove label.
    TheGhost wrote:
    I read that from a Dave A. quote in the book/hatchet job "Five Against One" after he asked Eddie what the song was about. Based on their relationship, I wonder if he was telling Dave the truth or not.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Owner of a Lonely Heart and another Beatles song (not I've got a Feeling) were also rehearsed and recorded during the infamous "1st week recording sessions" commonly referred to as the 10/13/90 demo tape.

Well that explains the joke in the latest Deep newsletter, about what rare songs one guy in the band might want to play.
  • Options
    Eddie Vedder introduced the world to Foo Fighters.
    No matter how it happened, Foo Fighters would have blown up regardless. But thanks to Eddie, the tidal wave hit early. So before Dave Grohl decided to make up a fake band name to try and avoid any preconceptions and attention a solo album (which is what the first FF record really was) from a former Nirvana drummer would receive, Eddie mentioned his song "Alone + Easy Tarrget" in an interview with Spin. At the time, those recordings had no commercial release and were just handed out to friends and such. Not long after, during the Self-Pollution radio broadcast, Ed premiered to the masses Grohl's new project by playing the cover song "Gas Chamber" and an original "Exhausted" (my favorite) a good 6 months before the single's release. As a result, the bidding war began. Suddenly, record labels were pretty much tripping over one another to sign him (or "them" once Grohl turned FF into a real band).
    Foo-Fighters-Exhausted-50404-991.jpg
  • Options
    ST279453ST279453 Posts: 195
    TheGhost wrote:
    Matt Cameron was in"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" singing a song called.... what was it?.... something like "puberty blues"? Anyone?

"Puberty Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsxwwhJ6GrY
  • Options
    Matt Cameron has been drumming for Pearl Jam 15+ years, and yet it took about 4 years later until he became a full-fledged member. Despite being asked to permanently join back in 1998, Matt opted out and only committed for an album/tour cycle (this would be the Binaural era). As much as he enjoyed playing with them, he did not have much interest in being a constant part of another "big" band after Soundgarden broke up. He was a bit more content on a smaller scale with Wellwater Conspiracy. It wasn't until the time of Riot Act that it was announced he was the permanent drummer for PJ. And thank goodness for that!
  • Options
    'Gimme Some Truth' was the song Eddie originally planned on performing for "America: A Tribute to Heroes" as a statement against the political climate post-9/11. In the end, however, he decided to take part in the healing process with 'Long Road.'
  • Options
    For anyone that has never been completely won over by the song 'Bushleaguer', know this- that is not the original version! Before the spoken-word verses were recorded, there existed a different "singing" version with a strong vocal melody. Unfortunately, Eddie found it too catchy and it was unceremoniously dismissed in favor of what became the album track.
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    For anyone that has never been completely won over by the song 'Bushleaguer', know this- that is not the original version! Before the spoken-word verses were recorded, there existed a different "singing" version with a strong vocal melody. Unfortunately, Eddie found it too catchy and it was unceremoniously dismissed in favor of what became the album track.

Anyone know where I can hear this??
  • Options
    pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    edited November 2013
    smanchac1 wrote:

Anyone know where I can hear this??

As far as I know, you can't. I only know of its existence because it was mentioned in a couple interviews with Jeff. But, on the other hand, I'm always the last person to know when something leaks.
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • Options
    Eddie Vedder was attached to a movie soundtrack 10 years prior to "Into the Wild".
    The weird thing is the movie would have been called "Black Pearl." Side note: the film has not been made. From 'Variety' back in January 1997. I included the entire article but the relevant info is contained in the last sentence.

"FORCING ‘BLACK PEARL’: Count Mark Hamill among those surprised at the strong reaction to Friday’s reissue of George Lucas’s “Star Wars.” “During lunch at his ranch, George dropped the bombshell that it was happening, and I don’t know if I kept a poker face, but I thought, what a terrible idea. How do you release a movie that never went away?” Hamill recalled.

Though Lucas told Hamill years ago he’d have a job around 2011 in a third “Star Wars” trilogy, Luke Skywalker’s hoping the pic will pay more immediate dividends. Hamill’s trying to secure financing for “Black Pearl,” a low-budget film he’ll direct from a script he co-wrote with Eric Johnson. It’s based on a popular Dark Horse comic se-ries written by Hamill. A disillusioned court reporter turns vigilante, complete with a ridiculous superhero cos-tume.

“It’s Travis Bickle lite, a thriller with humor inherent in the subject matter. It’s basically a tragic story like ‘Fargo’ riddled with laughs that catch in your throat because they’re so awful.”

It’s being shepherded by his attorney, Bob Lange, and Charlie Lippincott, who directed marketing for the original “Star Wars” and will be the producer. He’s leaning on friends and former “Star Wars” colleagues for help and if the force is with him, Hamill will have Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder doing the music. That’s because Vedder and his boyhood pals used to visit Hamill during his Skywalker days."
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    'Gimme Some Truth' was the song Eddie originally planned on performing for "America: A Tribute to Heroes" as a statement against the political climate post-9/11. In the end, however, he decided to take part in the healing process with 'Long Road.'

Do you have a source on this one?
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    narnia wrote:

Wow! I'm surprised that didn't happen more often in the early days. I was just watching PinkPop and Ed was swinging the mic stand around and almost smashed Jeff. :o

I wonder if Ed has hawked a loogie on anyone.....? :lol:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    I wonder if Ed has hawked a loogie on anyone.....? :lol:

I was listening to a concert on PJ Radio a few weeks ago, and Ed says that he spits when he sings because it takes less time than it does to swallow your saliva. He said, "go ahead, try it" and he's right. It's still gross though and I'm surprised Stone stands so close to him because he always spits to the left. :lol:
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again