Options

Lightning Bolt v King Animal v The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
edited November 2013 in Other Music
The three remaining bands of the 'big four' grunge bands have released albums in the last year or so...how would you order them? And why?

51nFlkTO9eL._AA160_.jpg51L8mhyyHsL._AA160_.jpg41IgQ6Zb9yL._AA160_.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    Lightning Bolt.... Because I keep listening to it over and over...
    Vanishing Point ...Because Mudhoney!
    King Animal..... Because I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I did see SG this past summer.
    The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here.... Because I'm not sure that I'll ever listen to this album..
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Options
    EdLawEdLaw Posts: 194
    Lightning Bolt takes it comfortably, for me. Good variety of songs, but still cohesive and as always, Eddie has a way with words that just connects with me.

King Animal comes second. Solid all the way through, and some very good songs. Doesn't quite match up with their best efforts, but then that is a tall order.

Dinosaurs brings up the rear. It's quite samey, and as a consequence it's a harder listen front to back than the above albums, but there is a lot of great stuff in there. Surprising how much I enjoy it now, compared to my first underwhelming listen.

So glad all these guys are still putting records out. All worthy additions to their respective catalogues.
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
    Now I'm over near the bandstand, every hand moving on John Finn's wife...
  • Options
    1) King Animal
    2) Lightning Bolt

354) Devil

and it's not a knock against the "new" AIC. I loved BGWTB. But Devil is just crap.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Lightning Bolt, because PJ is still my favorite band.

King Animal, because it's a damn good album but I don't listen to it too often for some reason. (I think I'll spin it right now that I'm thinking about it.)

Dinosaurs, because I've never listened to nor do I have any plans to. Yes, I'm one of those people that won't listen to it because it's not Layne. :?
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    seems to be a mostly unanimous order, but jshin made a good point, vanishing point should be on the list, great album
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Lightning Bolt
    King Animal

AIC Is The Devil For Dropping that Load of Crap Here

LB keeps at a pretty high level throughout most of the album, them trails off at the end. Not closing with Yellow Moon is an unforgivable sin.

King Animal is solid, but I don't think any song is truly great.

AIC is really a one note affair and really lacks the melody that makes other AIC records great.

Don't give a crap about Mudhoney.

I'm waiting for Tool's new one and it'll likely top all of these.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

it's going to be the same thing they've released the last 3 albums.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

If you're speaking from a quality standpoint, right on and exactly my point.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    of these 3, Lightning Bolt by a mile.

In my opinion, King Animal is ok & the AIC album is horrible. AIC is not AIC (again, in my opinion) without Layne.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

releasing the same songs in different packaging is not quality. it's boring.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Lighting Bolt by a mile. King Animal is boring, only great song is "A Thousand Days Before" and there's a few other passable ones. The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here is the worst album ever released by the big Grunge four. Shocking how terrible it was after Black Gives Way to Blue had some really inspired stuff on there.
  • Options
    Agree with other posters..

LB
    KA
    Dinos.

Although I do enjoy dinos more than other people seem to. and KA is a great comeback album and possibly better then LB.
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    King Animal easily. Still great a year later. Half of Lightning Bolt is throw away. I'd happily take another soundgarden album over Pearl Jam right now. I feel their next album could be even better than KA but with Pearl Jam I'm not so sure. The AiC album was very disappointing, I liked Black Gives Way to Blue but this album is just boring bar two songs.

So:

KA

LB

TDPDBH

If we were to include Mudhoney it would be after King Animal.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    Lightning Bolt - because it's a really fucking great record!

King Animal - A good comeback but I couldn't pick a single track that stands up to 90s SG

Vanishing Point - cos I love Mudhoney too :D

Devil whatever - is just an awful album. In terms of the 'big names' of the 90s, it's on a par with Weiland's Christmas album for me!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    King Animal - Blows both of the others away

The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here - Not as good as BGWTB but I really do like it

Lightning Bolt - Utter crap
  • Options

:shock:

I don't like Sirens or Future Days, but utter crap?? Seriously? what did you think of Backspacer?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

releasing the same songs in different packaging is not quality. it's boring.

:thumbdown:
  • Options
    King Animal is my faourite, then Lightning Bolt, then AIC - which I was really diappointed with.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Agreed.

Tool were better in the nineties.
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 818
    WOW!!! Such disdain and hatred for Dinosaurs!!!???

As a lover of all things 'Big 4' (PJ, AIC, SG, Nirvana), I loved all 3 albums and they are all about equal to me.

If I had to rank I guess I'd put LB first, cuz they are PJ and it's a great album.

As far as the SG and AIC releases, that's a really tough call, but I guess if I had to keep one album over the other it would be SG's (just because it was their triumphant return).

Back to AIC...I thought it was just as good of an album as Black Gives Way to Blue. I love both of those, and don't even miss Layne too much.

How can you deny songs such as...

Hollow, Pretty Done, Stone, and Phantom Limb just to name some of my favorites???

Crazy stuff people! :problem:
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493

:shock:

I don't like Sirens or Future Days, but utter crap?? Seriously? what did you think of Backspacer?

I don't care much for Backspacer either but if I had to choose which one to listen to, it would be Backspacer.
  • Options
    1 Lightning Bolt
    2 King Animal
    3 The Devil Put Dimosaurs Here

I think the first two are good albums, while the third just doesn't strike me. It's not bad, it just doesn't have stand out moments.

I've seen Soundgarden and AIC live since these albums came out and the KA songs stood up better alongside classic SG than TDPDH tracks did against the old AIC.

I think BGWTB is a much better album of the two Duvall albums.
  • Options
    My issue with new AIC is that they won't let Duvall be a lead vocalist, it's a shame really.
  • Options
    Olivavu wrote:
    Cantrell always featured heavily on vox with Layne.

Ha, believe it or not I AM familiar with their older material :lol:

Obviously they harmonised a lot, but there was still plenty of lead from both of them, now they seem to be just blending the vocals together into something not all that exciting. It's like they're trying not to piss off the naysayers by making Jerry's voice heard more.
  • Options
  • Options
    Olivavu wrote:
    Or perhaps they are trying to make it sound more authentically AIC?

But it doesn't because there's no juxtaposition between the voices, that's my point. To me it seems like Duvall is kind of in the background on the newer stuff, not really given the opportunity to let his vocals soar like Layne did, and it's making for some pretty boring songs.
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,251
    Olivavu wrote:
    Or perhaps they are trying to make it sound more authentically AIC?

But it doesn't because there's no juxtaposition between the voices, that's my point. To me it seems like Duvall is kind of in the background on the newer stuff, not really given the opportunity to let his vocals soar like Layne did, and it's making for some pretty boring songs.

Yeah its true. Phantom Limb is a fantastic track, which is the only track he really has full lead vocal duties. Having said that, i really like stuff like Lab Monkey, Scalpel, Choke, Breath On A Window, Voices, Pretty Done....its a pretty damn solid album, I think. I dont really get why people are hating on it so much.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    Edved82 wrote:
    Yeah its true. Phantom Limb is a fantastic track, which is the only track he really has full lead vocal duties. Having said that, i really like stuff like Lab Monkey, Scalpel, Choke, Breath On A Window, Voices, Pretty Done....its a pretty damn solid album, I think. I dont really get why people are hating on it so much.

It's not awful by any stretch, it just feels a bit lacklustre.