Options

The Day that Ed cried.....

obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
edited July 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Listened to the 2nd Boston show from 98 this A.M. this was the infamous show where Ed became very emotional and reports had him in tears during "Dissident". He had mentioned before "Given to Fly" that sometimes people leave the earth when you least expect it and he was dedicating the song to "John". You can actually hear his voice crack.

Anyone have any information who "John" was?
San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    hmmm, no i don't know who John was. But it's always a bit weird being in attendance when Ed is visibly emotional. In Milano '06 and Dusseldorf this year, he was noticeably very emotional, with tears streaming down his face. It's a very intimate thing yet there's 12,000 people watching.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    he had tear at reading last year during alive as well
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    There's a 2003 bootleg where Ed sings "oh dear John" during Release. I think it might be Toronto. Or it could've been Santiago I from 2005. Agh i don't remember.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    I think the most emotional he was at any concert was in Copenhagen during Love Boat Captain... It was just so hard for Ed to sing the lyrics. He messed up entirely. Th 'Lost nine friends we'll never know, seven years ago today' especially, he had to almost sob the words out, the only part really audible was when he changed 'seven years ago today' to 'seems like yesterday' or something like that.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    He cried during No More in Werchter as well. I believe it was the size of the crowd that affected him.

His eyes were red through the entire show in Copenhagen, welling up during the speech, it broke my heart to see him like that...
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    There's a 2003 bootleg where Ed sings "oh dear John" during Release. I think it might be Toronto.

That was because it was on a few days 3 years after Roskilde and he sings "oh dear Anthony" if I recall correctly. You know for who that was.

the "dear Johnny" makes me think of Montreal 05 when it was the 1-year anniversary of Johnny Ramone's death.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    rvprvp Posts: 779
    During the first show in Buenos Aires (11.25.05) Eddie got emotional when he dedicated “I Believe in Miracles” to Johnny Ramone, he broke down in tears when saying that he misses Johnny every day or something like that. Supposedly this was very special because Eddie came to Argentina in 1996 with The Ramones for the final show of their last tour which was in Buenos Aires and is often said that Argentinean crowd and The Ramones shared a special bond…
    fuera de este mundo
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    "dear John" is indeed Boston 2 98. I asked this before, but noone seemed to know why he was that emotional. Clearly someone, a friend, died.

And yes, Copenhagen clearly topped them all.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    rvp wrote:
    During the first show in Buenos Aires (11.25.05) Eddie got emotional when he dedicated “I Believe in Miracles” to Johnny Ramone, he broke down in tears when saying that he misses Johnny every day or something like that. Supposedly this was very special because Eddie came to Argentina in 1996 with The Ramones for the final show of their last tour which was in Buenos Aires and is often said that Argentinean crowd and The Ramones shared a special bond…

Ahh yeah. Eddie mentioned Johnny's name and the whole crowd erupted in 'hey ho, let's go' chants and i think it just kinda knocked Eddie on his ass because he wasn't expecting such a huge response.

He can't even get through the song because he's so emotional, and the crowd take over.

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    There's a 2003 bootleg where Ed sings "oh dear John" during Release. I think it might be Toronto. Or it could've been Santiago I from 2005. Agh i don't remember.

He sang dear John in Verona. I assumed it was Johnny Ramones, since it was the anniversary of his death and he dedicated Come back to him later in the show.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    rvprvp Posts: 779
    Ahh yeah. Eddie mentioned Johnny's name and the whole crowd erupted in 'hey ho, let's go' chants and i think it just kinda knocked Eddie on his ass because he wasn't expecting such a huge response.

He can't even get through the song because he's so emotional, and the crowd take over.

You are right. I looked it up

First show (11.25.2005) he said "First time I came to Buenos Aires was 7 years ago, last year human kind lost a great man: Johnny" and that is when the crowd began “hey ho, let's go” and he couldn’t finish.

Last show (11.26.2005) he said “First time one of my best friends died was last year, you knew him too, his name was Jhonny Ramone, I miss him every day and today we dedicate this song to him (I Believe Miracles)". No crying this time. ;)
    fuera de este mundo
  • Options
    Wow, maybe I should change the subject to the "days" that Ed cried. It makes me feel good to know he takes the music and the emotions behind it so seriously it can bring him to tears. He truly feels what he sings.
    One other occasion was at Rock Im Ring 2000 when he dedicated "Light Years" to the Sony VIP who passed away.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    moho wrote:
    I think the most emotional he was at any concert was in Copenhagen during Love Boat Captain... It was just so hard for Ed to sing the lyrics. He messed up entirely. Th 'Lost nine friends we'll never know, seven years ago today' especially, he had to almost sob the words out, the only part really audible was when he changed 'seven years ago today' to 'seems like yesterday' or something like that.

already in my top 5 boots... he gets choked up and cant continue the words...then he comes back and absolutely rips the rest of the song perfectly

by far my fav version of lbc
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    he cries every 3 or 4 shows nowadays
  • Options
    JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    I think it's indearing. The passion he exhibits makes him real.
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

Pro-life by choice.
  • Options
    KirkwoodKirkwood Posts: 228
    For me I was really surprised when you could seee ,during the speech before Betterman in copenhaven, tears streaming down eddies cheeks. I could never imagine someone that big an famous just let all his emotions out infront of 12000 people. I have never witness it before, so beutiful.
    2006 Paris, Prague
    2007 Munich, Katowice, Kopenhaven, Nijmegen
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    moho wrote:

I remember the shivers that sent through me. At first I thought "can't believe he fucked that up", but that feeling was replaced with feeling sorry for him. Must have been hard for him.
    Although I'm sure they already know, it must have been nice (in lack of a better word) for the relatives to see that he/they still remember and care.

Constant recoil. Sometimes life don't leave you alone........
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    I love that Ed wears his heart on his sleeve.

REAL MEN DO CRY :cool:
    Dublin - August 23rd 2006
    Wembley - June 18th 2007
    Hopefully many more to come...
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    I love that Ed wears his heart on his sleeve.

REAL MEN DO CRY :cool:

No we don't. Stupid bugs keeps flying into our eyes......
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    obiwon76 wrote:
    Listened to the 2nd Boston show from 98 this A.M. this was the infamous show where Ed became very emotional and reports had him in tears during "Dissident". He had mentioned before "Given to Fly" that sometimes people leave the earth when you least expect it and he was dedicating the song to "John". You can actually hear his voice crack.

I don't want to say too much but I remember John was on this board years ago (03 or 06?) after one of the Boston shows and mentioned meeting Ed in 1998.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Kirkwood wrote:
    For me I was really surprised when you could seee ,during the speech before Betterman in copenhaven, tears streaming down eddies cheeks. I could never imagine someone that big an famous just let all his emotions out infront of 12000 people. I have never witness it before, so beutiful.
    I'd seen Ed get emotional in Reading and Milan.

but I'd never seen Jeff or Stone do.. they did in Copenhagen...
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    obiwon76 wrote:

From what I heard to answer your question ;)

A fan (John's sister) had written Ed a letter about her brother (John) and how depressed he was. Later as the story goes John ended up committing suicide and Ed found out. I believe John was from Boston.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    Pegasus wrote:

really??!

i mean...it was really hot...maybe it was sweat rather than tears...how can you tell?
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Pegasus wrote:

Remind me about milan... was it during Picture in a frame?
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    KirkwoodKirkwood Posts: 228
    Pegasus wrote:

Did they? Must be even more beutiful.

Whats was it about Milan?. Reading was that Eddie got so touch about the millions of people who was there right?
    2006 Paris, Prague
    2007 Munich, Katowice, Kopenhaven, Nijmegen
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    Pegasus wrote:

Yeah Stone and Jeff alo got pretty emotional. All I can remember thinking is how everyone in the room seemed equal, it wasn't a famous rock band playing to some crowd they don't give two fucks about, they were on the same level as us. Everyone applauded the family and releatives as the most important people in the building. Then when Eddie started Betterman my Niamh and me started crying too.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    meme wrote:

Ed's girlfriend Jill was crying during Picture in a Frame. Ed had tears at the end of Black when the crowd kept singing after they'd stopped playing. He just stood there watching us all and then he applauded us, rubbed his arm to tell us he had goosebumps, and from the front row we could see he had tears in his eyes.

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    knitted wrote:
    really??!

i mean...it was really hot...maybe it was sweat rather than tears...how can you tell?
    well stone looked not just hot at the very least (and I was front row as usual, so not too far).
    I might be wrong of course...
    meme wrote:
    Black
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    moho wrote:
    Yeah Stone and Jeff alo got pretty emotional. All I can remember thinking is how everyone in the room seemed equal, it wasn't a famous rock band playing to some crowd they don't give two fucks about, they were on the same level as us. Everyone applauded the family and releatives as the most important people in the building. Then when Eddie started Betterman my Niamh and me started crying too.
    Jeff was definitely crying, I think Mike was too... I was feckin sobbing :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    From what I heard to answer your question ;)

A fan (John's sister) had written Ed a letter about her brother (John) and how depressed he was. Later as the story goes John ended up committing suicide and Ed found out. I believe John was from Boston.

Thanks for the info, puts things into perspective now. Only Ed can take a simple letter and wear it on his sleeve to the point of becoming emotional onstage. I think we all at one point or another has cried while listening to PJ. One of my moments was to "Off He Goes" when I lost a close friend. It was part of the healing process.