So my kitty.....Samantha

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,421
edited November 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Hasn't eaten in 3 days.
Minimum water.
Walking around like a zombie....

So we get her to the vet.
To find out after bloodwork, Sammy has an overactive thyroid?
And now we are going to put her on medication? 2 pills a day?

Little Samantha will scratch my fucking eyes out the 1st time I attempt to give her a pill.
:lol::lol::lol:

Funny when the vet asked what Sammy eats...
Umm...She likes Ribeyes, she prefers Perdue chicken over Tyson, Turkey is one of her favorites, she likes lunchmeat, but not the cheap shit, and she just loves pork chops. :lol::lol:
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Awwww ... Poor Samantha!

When we had to give Mr. Pickles pills three times a day, it worked best with a syringe. We crushed the pill into pieces and stuffed it into the syringe opening and then pulled up a little water. After a while you get a hold of the procedure and it goes really fast.

I hope she gets better soon!

Our Sam doesn't like meat at all. She only wants Solisticat with lots of goo and fish ...
  • Awwww ... Poor Samantha!

When we had to give Mr. Pickles pills three times a day, it worked best with a syringe. We crushed the pill into pieces and stuffed it into the syringe opening and then pulled up a little water. After a while you get a hold of the procedure and it goes really fast.

Our Sam doesn't like meat at all. She only wants Solisticat with lots of goo and fish ...
    We were happy to hear that her kidneys, liver, etc were all normal. Samantha is 15yrs, old. And I was prepared for the worst.

Actually I wasn't prepared for the worst, had we gotten bad news, I would have cried for a month.
    Hell, I cried this morning just because I got good news.
    Awwww ... Poor Samantha!

We were happy to hear that her kidneys, liver, etc were all normal. Samantha is 15yrs, old. And I was prepared for the worst.

Actually I wasn't prepared for the worst, had we gotten bad news, I would have cried for a month.
    Hell, I cried this morning just because I got good news.
    I'm very happy for you and the kitty :) It is the worst when they get sick ...
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    She should be feeling better in no time once she gets started on her meds.
    Very happy to hear the news wasn't too bad.

:P
    Nice shirt.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    glad to hear things are ok. good luck with the pills.

Just had a heck of a time with "Spot", our 14 year old kitty - we are having guys here to put more insulation, making holes in the walls and hammering - I had to rescue her and put her in a downstairs room. When they came to give us an estimate a few weeks back, she ended up behind the wall :shock: couldn't find her for hours.

the insulation guy - "I can't believe how much insulation you don't have up there" :fp:
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    My kitty has the same issue. At first giving her the pills was a nightmare. At first we used pill pockets which were like a dream http://www.chewy.com/cat/greenies-pill- ... 4AodolIAMg

But she caught onto those and started chewing around the pill and spitting it out :roll: Now I just use a pill shooter. It shoots the pill right down her throat. At first I used to have to wrap her in a blanket or towel and pry her little jaw open, but it's a lot easier now.

Glad she is ok. :)
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    Glad to hear it's nothing major, and Samantha will be OK.

And even better good news -- from what I understand, giving a pill to cat is a breeze! :lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    My kitty has the same issue. At first giving her the pills was a nightmare. At first we used pill pockets which were like a dream http://www.chewy.com/cat/greenies-pill- ... 4AodolIAMg

But she caught onto those and started chewing around the pill and spitting it out :roll: Now I just use a pill shooter. It shoots the pill right down her throat. At first I used to have to wrap her in a blanket or towel and pry her little jaw open, but it's a lot easier now.

don't know if it would work for a cat, but for dogs, I used to pinch the sides of the jaw to force it open then with the pill on the tip of my finger, shove it down the throat so he had to swallow it. actually with a cat, anything would result in having my face scratched off
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,782
    be sure to do this with bare arms and hands. Cats suspect the worst when you are all gloved up and shit.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • kw18 wrote:
    Glad to hear it's nothing major, and Samantha will be OK.

And even better good news -- from what I understand, giving a pill to cat is a breeze! :lol:
    So I finally got her to eat a few minutes ago.

Fried perch.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

don't know if it would work for a cat, but for dogs, I used to pinch the sides of the jaw to force it open then with the pill on the tip of my finger, shove it down the throat so he had to swallow it. actually with a cat, anything would result in having my face scratched off
    My arms used to be so scratched up that I looked like a cutter :? That's when I started wrapping her in a blanket. The worst was she caught on to my routine and I'd have to sneak up on her to catch her :fp: Now she's almost 18 and a little bit easier to catch :lol:

How to give the cat a pill:

Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
    Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
    Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.
    Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
    Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.
    Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.
    Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
    Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.
    Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
    Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
    Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
    Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.
    Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
    Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
    Arrange for SPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How to give the dog a pill:

Wrap it in bacon.

• How to give the cat a pill:

Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
    Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
    Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
    Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.
    Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.
    Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
    Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.
    Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
    Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
    Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
    Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.
    Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
    Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
    Arrange for SPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

Wrap it in bacon.
    hahahahahahahahayhahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    that is way too much to read, I'll stick to my method:

"she's your cat, you do it"
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:
    that is way too much to read, I'll stick to my method:

"she's your cat, you do it"
    Read it.
    Its fucking hysterical
    :lol:

oh yes, I have seen that one before, totally true
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Our little fucker nico passed away on sept 11, 2012 after a long ass battle with heart decease (2+ years). Was giving him pills 3 times a day and then it was pills and shots till he could no longer battle on. I miss that fucker everyday, and speedy, my eyes water up every time I think about him.
  • badbrains wrote:
    Our little fucker nico passed away on sept 11, 2012 after a long ass battle with heart decease (2+ years). Was giving him pills 3 times a day and then it was pills and shots till he could no longer battle on. I miss that fucker everyday, and speedy, my eyes water up every time I think about him.
    :( :( :(

I hear you.
    Sammy has been part of the family for 15 years.
    I have been a complete mess the last 3 days.

Im just thrilled she actually ate something today.
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    She ate. That's awesome!

BTW, today is National Cat Day (but isn't everyday) :D
    badbrains wrote:
    :( My other kitty, Freckles passed away on Sept 10, 2012. I was in shock because she had always been the healthy one. Started declining with liver disease pretty quickly. She had such catitude. I still miss her so much. So sorry that you lost nico.

I'm glad Samantha is eating Speedy. At this stage in the game I let Sweet Pea eat what she wants. The vet said as long as she's eating, that's a good thing.

...as long as she's eating, that's a good thing.

Indeed! In the end, I fed Mr Pickles dry food by the pieces to get something into him. He was already too weak to even get up and eat :(

Sorry to hear of the passing of your kitty, badbrains. We lost Mr. Pickles a year ago in December. We had him just for two months (from a shelter), then he died. He was 1,5 years old and had a fucking heart condition and we couldn't help him at all, just had to watch him deteriorating every day ... He was one of the most loving cats I have ever met. I cried for days.

I'm so happy to hear that Samantha is eating, Speedy :thumbup: Hopefully, she makes a speedy ( ;) ) recovery!

Happy cat day, everyone!

I saw this today, thought it was cute :mrgreen:
    cathalloween_zps07c22ca7.jpg
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I hope Samantha feels better!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    edited October 2013
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes for fuckface Nico. Or the Prince of Cambridge as some knew him. 8-)

Ya speedy, awesome that Samantha's eating. And enjoy her man, that's awesome.
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Glad to hear she is eating, Speedy. :thumbup:

My cat, Miss Moo, passed away a little over 2 years ago. I miss her every GD day. She was a part of my life for over 20 years, and I was a mess the day she died.
    ELITIST FUK
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    So you ever call her Sam or Sammy instead of Samantha?
    is this not a good thread for pussy jokes?
    badbrains wrote:
    :( My other kitty, Freckles passed away on Sept 10, 2012. I was in shock because she had always been the healthy one. Started declining with liver disease pretty quickly. She had such catitude. I still miss her so much. So sorry that you lost nico.

I'm glad Samantha is eating Speedy. At this stage in the game I let Sweet Pea eat what she wants. The vet said as long as she's eating, that's a good thing.

Wow, just reread your post comeback girl, and noticed you lost freckles the day after Nico. I know how you guys felt and shit hurts. To this day I think about fuckface Nico and miss him very much. Have 2 new kids, jinxy, a cat that was over a year and running out of options and my little girl roxy who was fucken taken to a shelter by a woman who I'll just leave her name at that and not call her what I really think of her, and taken out of her trunk, not in a cat carrier, and told to get rid of her! Told didn't care what happened to her. :twisted:
    But my gf took them in a few months after Nico passed and was ready. One good thing when you adopt from a shelter, for every 1 adopted cat, it frees up 2 more spots in the shelter to help others. And the 2 we got are the shit! Fatboy jinxy and little roxy. If I knew how to post pics from my iPhone I'd put them up, but I'm a fucktard when it comes to this shit!
    :thumbup:
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    glad she is ok.

igby takes 1/2 a benadryl, 1/2 a prilosec, every morning, then 1 chemo pill in his dinner, plus 2 others with peanut butter, EVERY day at a cost of $500 a month. :shock: all meds he must take for the rest of his life to remain cancer-free. and, just this weekend while brushing his teeth - yes, i brush my dogs teeth, found one of his molars cracked. gonna be close to 1k for that - IF they even think it's safe to put him under anesthesia at his age, 10, and with his chemo issues. sigh. i love this dog, mr. dream loves this dog ... he is bankrupting us. :lol:

our kitty suki made it to almost 21. she was on thyroid meds a good long while. pretty typical it seems.

hope samantha has a LOT of good and happy years ahead of her! 8-)

btw - cbg that was awesome! tho i must say, while usually true about dogs, some - like our zack - are fighters too. thank bejeebus he doesn't need to take meds regularly. igby, cover ANYthing in peanut butter, and he will eat it. :)

oh and speedy, my sister used to have a gorgeous calico, fat as a house, named kitty, who would swipe chicken wings right out of your hands in one swoop. haha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859

How to give the cat a pill:

Wrap it in bacon.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My fatty Chance had an infection a while ago and had to take medicine that was a liquid, in pre-loaded syringes. The vet gave me the exact number of doses plus one extra. The next day I had to go back and buy more because I spent ALL of the ones they gave me just trying to get her to take the first dose! :fp: She wasn't a lapcat she would not allow me to hold her, EVER. I tried forcing it down her throat like the vet instructed but it was impossible. I tried mixing the shit with food, tuna water, treats, milk, you name it. The pills that she had to take I wrapped in butter, but she did the same thing and ate around it. I tried pill pockets, different meats, cheese and everything I tried worked exactly once. Which ended up working out cuz it was just antibotics so she only had to take like 5 or 7 pills. :lol:
    The first time I tried to force the liquid down her throat with the syringe she made a fucking mental note of exactly what the thing was and what bottle it came out of and the minute she saw me with it in my hand or me grab the bottle she went and hid thereafter. I eventually tricked her by covering the syringe with a little cloth and taking in a considerable amount of milk or tuna water so that would be what comes out first... that didn't work too well either.

I pray she won't ever need to get medicine regularly because I see NO WAY of that working out.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I do give a rat's ass about your kitty Speedy... :lol:

Best thing ever invented:

211QiAsfTJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

smear a bit of petromalt (hairball gel) on the tip after you load it with the pill, it helps the kitty swallow the pill better.

So sorry to hear about Nico and Freckles :( ...lost one of my kitties just a few months ago, 17 years old.

CBG, my kitty had such a personality too, there are some cats that are just cats, and then there are cats that just...well, damn, have a fucking awesome personality.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless