Options

Who doesn't tip pizza delivery persons, and why not?

Comments

• Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    My brother doesn't even tip in restaurants. He says that if they don't like it they can find a job that pays better. The prices are high enough as they are, why should I have to pay even more to someone that is doing their job.

Maybe HE should get a better job if the prices are too high for him, or at least cook his own food.

Actually, he owns his own construction company and doesn't really care about the money; he does very well. He just doesn't think that tipping should be something. Just pay the people right and they will do a good job without needing a tip.

Someone mentioned how if there are X amount of people or more they will add the tip automatically. They did this to my brother one time and he crossed it off paying only for the amount of the bill. When they approached him on it he said "I don't tip. If you don't like it, call the police", or something like that.

They could pay them "right", but they'd raise the price of the food. The reason it's not higher is because they're paying them less than minimum wage in most cases and expect the customer to pay the rest. It's an honor system. They could revamp the whole thing, but it works the way it does because people like your brother aren't the majority.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    jethrojam420jethrojam420 Foxborough MA Posts: 1,075
    My brother doesn't even tip in restaurants. He says that if they don't like it they can find a job that pays better. The prices are high enough as they are, why should I have to pay even more to someone that is doing their job.

Maybe HE should get a better job if the prices are too high for him, or at least cook his own food.

Actually, he owns his own construction company and doesn't really care about the money; he does very well. He just doesn't think that tipping should be something. Just pay the people right and they will do a good job without needing a tip.

Someone mentioned how if there are X amount of people or more they will add the tip automatically. They did this to my brother one time and he crossed it off paying only for the amount of the bill. When they approached him on it he said "I don't tip. If you don't like it, call the police", or something like that.

People can give all the excuses they want. Everyone knows that servers make 2 something an hour and the rest is tips. If they do a poor job, then you can pay accordingly. If they don't do a bad job, then you tip them a minimum of 15%. If they do an exceptional job you tip more than that. If you can't afford that - you eat at home. If you don't tip then you are not doing the server a service of "maybe they will get a better job." you are being a cheapskate who is using that as an excuse to continue to be a cheapskate.

If your brother is really doing that, than I would call him a cheap son of bitch. And if he came back the next time and I remembered his face then good luck getting any help from me. Karma's a bitch.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    heard that in the food industry the waiters/waitresses remember the cheap bastards by face. I am not talking about the people who leave a small tip, I am talking about the clowns that leave NOTHING. They remember and recognize them over time, and often times leave them a "tip" in their food. Just what I have heard.
  • Options
    PRL1JAM wrote:
    heard that in the food industry the waiters/waitresses remember the cheap bastards by face. I am not talking about the people who leave a small tip, I am talking about the clowns that leave NOTHING. They remember and recognize them over time, and often times leave them a "tip" in their food. Just what I have heard.

It's never a good idea to mess with the people who handle your food. :lol:

As I said earlier, in pizza delivery we'd make notes in the computer that would pop up when that phone number called for an order. Not for the intention of adding any special ingredients (though I can't attest for what anybody else did) but we weren't in a hurry to get to them.
  • Options
    jethrojam420jethrojam420 Foxborough MA Posts: 1,075
    PRL1JAM wrote:

It's never a good idea to mess with the people who handle your food. :lol:

As I said earlier, in pizza delivery we'd make notes in the computer that would pop up when that phone number called for an order. Not for the intention of adding any special ingredients (though I can't attest for what anybody else did) but we weren't in a hurry to get to them.

good. thats the way it should be.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    mca47 wrote:
    It's incredibly rare that I have food delivered anymore. Maybe once in the last 2-3 years...and I believe I was sick and didn't want to go anywhere. I like to go get pizza. Right out of the oven, burn your face hot is where it's at! :D

That said, I'm always a generous tipper. Unless the service is shitty, I tip well. I make good money now. I figure why not help out those who are busting their ass off, not getting paid shit and who are serving me?
    I tip well...
    I over tip...
    I have been told by many that I over tip....

But I will NEVER ever say that a pizza delivery guy is "busting his ass" :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Maybe not a pizza guy...buncha lazy stoners! :lol:
    Actually my roommate in college delivered pizza. Worked shit hours, delivered pizza to a bunch of drunk and poor college kids. He definitely earned whatever he made.
    I guess I was referring to restaurant servers. They put up with so much shit...a few extra bucks doesn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Actually my roommate in college delivered pizza. Worked shit hours, delivered pizza to a bunch of drunk and poor college kids. He definitely earned whatever he made.

Plus the wear and tear on his vehicle, gasoline, etc.
  • Options
    PRL1JAM wrote:

This is what i always think about, I want the people who handle or make my food to be happy. They get a long time with your pizza and I assume spit and other liquids are less noticeable than most of us would expect. They remember.
  • Options
  • Options
    Not including pizza delivery in this example....

I especially tip well at places I frequent often. It pays off!
    Special attention, on the house perks, stronger drinks, free drinks...
    Tipping pays off. I never understand bad tippers. Hell, I don't understand cheap people in general.
    I have a buddy who is one of the cheapest dudes you'd ever meet. I can give examples all night, but one that applies to this thread...

We would go to the local sports bar/restaurant to watch football games on Sunday. We'd be there for say...4 hours or so. Sitting at a busy joint at a table for 4 hours. Waitress would bust her ASS off for 4 hours...4 hours that would normally have probably 6 table sets...aka....more tips. The Bill would come at the end. If it was just him and I, we'll say the bill would be $80. We usually split stuff. He'd leave like $2-3 for a tip!!!! :fp:
    $40...4 hours...$2-3. :fp: I would feel bad and leave a $20-30 tip to cover his cheap ass! He'd do it all the fn time! :fp:
    I don't get people like that!
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I may or may not have answered the door for pizza with no pants on. Totally didnt mean to tho!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I may or may not have answered the door for pizza with no pants on. Totally didnt mean to tho!!
    Uh huh!
    Mamasan gets killer delivery service! :lol:
    Mamasan23: "Dominos has the best has the best delivery service ever! I ordered my drunken pizza 5 minutes ago and there are 6 delivery guys here to drop it off!" :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Uh huh!
    Mamasan23: "Dominos has the best has the best delivery service ever! I ordered my drunken pizza 5 minutes ago and there are 6 delivery guys here to drop it off!" :lol::lol::lol:

We used to fight over the deliveries to the strip clubs. Not just for the nudity, but strippers always tipped great. They had a bunch of cash that guys had been tossing at them all night and they'd share the wealth. One tipped me $10 for 1 pizza, which was probably only around $10-11.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    mca47 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Uh huh!
    Hey man! You can't beat their $7.99 medium pan pizza deal!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    jbarbian wrote:
    So the way the op titled this thread, are there really people who don't tip at all?

duska3419 wrote:
    Only assholes don't tip.

And a lot of people say that about my brother.

:lol: I have a feeling your brother has ingested a considerable amount of bodily fluids as a result of this. I also suggest he watch the movie "Waiting"

It's true that being a regular customer and a generous tipper gets you treated above average by staff. Not limited to restaurants either. I am a regular at this nail salon, where they all know me and I tip well. 4-5 days after getting a regular manicure (they usually start chipping at this point) I had ripped a nail on a box at a store around the corner, so I popped in an asked if they could fix it. The girl redid my entire nail from scratch for free, and refused to let me tip her.

I tip no less than $3 for food delivery. I've gotten 2 coffees and a bagel delivered for a grand total of $6, and I still tip $3. I've never seen anyone charge a delivery fee except for like Dominos, luckily I have other options.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:
    :lol: I have a feeling your brother has ingested a considerable amount of bodily fluids as a result of this. I also suggest he watch the movie "Waiting".

:lol:

That's the YouTube link I put on the previous page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS79YzlFuL8

ALFALFA SPROUTS!!!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    duska3419 wrote:
    :lol: I have a feeling your brother has ingested a considerable amount of bodily fluids as a result of this. I also suggest he watch the movie "Waiting".

ALFALFA SPROUTS!!!

Whoops! I tend to skip the youtube links cuz I stay signed into youtube and I don't want it to start suggesting a bunch of random crap when all I wanna watch is The Nerdist and concert videos :oops: :oops:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:
    duska3419 wrote:

ALFALFA SPROUTS!!!

Whoops! I tend to skip the youtube links cuz I stay signed into youtube and I don't want it to start suggesting a bunch of random crap when all I wanna watch is The Nerdist and concert videos :oops: :oops:

I was mainly saying it for Biggest Wave's benefit, I wasn't giving you shit for not opening the YouTube link. I often skip them too, especially if it goes to a long ad you can't skip right out of the gate.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    jbarbian wrote:
    So the way the op titled this thread, are there really people who don't tip at all?

duska3419 wrote:
    Only assholes don't tip.

Congratulations, he is an asshole.
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Uh huh!
    Hey man! You can't beat their $7.99 medium pan pizza deal!!!

yeah you can. They never cook it right

They did when it came out... now it's just garbage

I would rather have a Little C's pizza than that shitty pan from Domino's.
  • Options
    I got delivery a few weeks ago... gave the guy a little over 15 percent, I just round it up.

He goes "Thanks a lot man, that's more than I've been tipped at my last three deliveries"

"You're shitting me"

"No, have a good night"

That's fucking sad right there. Goddamn people are so cheap sometimes
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    jbarbian wrote:

duska3419 wrote:
    Only assholes don't tip.

I always tip in restaurants and pizza delivery guys, but I don't disagree with your brother saying, "if they don't like it they can find a job that pays better."
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I always tip in restaurants and pizza delivery guys, but I don't disagree with your brother saying, "if they don't like it they can find a job that pays better."

If everybody got a better job we wouldn't have waiters or pizza delivery people. And I'm sure for many people it's not that simple. If he doesn't like the system he shouldn't use it, I think it's pretty arrogant to go in there and use the service then say that they should find a better job. He should just find another place to eat, preferably at home if he's going to be that way.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

If he doesn't like it, he can go eat at home.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    rrivers wrote:

If everybody got a better job we wouldn't have waiters or pizza delivery people. And I'm sure for many people it's not that simple. If he doesn't like the system he shouldn't use it, I think it's pretty arrogant to go in there and use the service then say that they should find a better job. He should just find another place to eat, preferably at home if he's going to be that way.

There are a lot of jobs that pay minimum wage without depending on tips to make up the difference. I might be wrong, and you can answer this, but wouldn't a pizza delivery guy make minimum wage without tips anyway? Or is it like waiting tables?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

There are a lot of jobs that pay minimum wage without depending on tips to make up the difference. I might be wrong, and you can answer this, but wouldn't a pizza delivery guy make minimum wage without tips anyway? Or is it like waiting tables?

In my experience it's different. No place I worked paid below minimum wage, because you have to spend money to make money in pizza delivery, the biggest expense being gasoline. It probably wouldn't be worth it if they were paid like waiters and waitresses. Just being paid straight minimum wage or below minimum wage with tips wouldn't amount to very much money in the end when you take out expenses.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315

your brother sucks.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    JTH wrote:
    Hey, thanks for taking what I said and making wild assumptions about it. Did I say anything remotely close to "I consider the delivery fee to be a tip"? Nope. I just tip a bit less if there's a delivery fee. Is it fair? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. But that's what I do.

I wasn't talking to you.
    Apology accepted.
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    Hey, thanks for taking what I said and making wild assumptions about it. Did I say anything remotely close to "I consider the delivery fee to be a tip"? Nope. I just tip a bit less if there's a delivery fee. Is it fair? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. But that's what I do.

I wasn't talking to you.
    Apology accepted.

I'm serious though, I hadn't even seen your comment until you replied to me. I apologize if what I said was dickish, but I wasn't making any assumptions about what you said because I hadn't read what you said and I literally was not talking to you. But I apologize.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    It doesn't matter! If you do not tip... The entire restaurant knows it!
    The quality of your pizza suffers. I can only laugh at this!
    In the National average Tipping has declined 50 cents per tip or per hour for this type of job.

It's just a few dollars, and they know where you live... No big deal..