Options

Who doesn't tip pizza delivery persons, and why not?

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Just wondering.
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    frauds. that's who.

why would anyone not tip delivery people?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I did some pizza delivery back in the day, and it was rare when somebody would get stiffed. But that was a long time ago, maybe people are getting cheaper. But given that gas is so much more expensive than it was back then, people SHOULD be tipping more. If you don't want to tip, get off your lazy ass and go pick it up yourself. I only remember getting stiffed one time, and it was some old lady. I thought it was bad when she gave the price of the order plus 5 cents (it was like 19.95 and she gave me 20), I went to walk away already pissed off, and she said "Excuse me, can I have my change?". She wouldn't even give me a nickle. Our manager made note of such people in the computer and for future orders they were given a 2 hour estimated delivery time, so that they would either come pick it up themselves or a trip could be planned accordingly so nobody had to make a special trip or go out of their way to deliver the pizza. I can only imagine other places might have more creative ways to deal with them. ;)
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I always tip well, but not quite as well if there is a delivery charge.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I usually give the remaining change. Usually they tack on a charge and I give them 3/4 dollars extra

Maybe more if it's raining or snowing.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Scottish people. Just because.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    JTH wrote:
    I always tip well, but not quite as well if there is a delivery charge.

Same here. I get a delivery charge if it's a far distance to deliver, but there are place that charge a delivery fee regardless of how close you are. I ordered from some new place that's only a few blocks away and I had $4 delivery charge....that's bullshit. And my tip reflected that.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,779
    place I get from is only about a mile up the road. Time of day/traffic(which can suck getting into our neighborhood having to turn left off this 2 lane thats very bust at rush.) and weather are factors for tipping for me. they tack on a $2 delivery charge as well. But I still give most at least $2. Sometimes more if I'm in a good mood.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    The delivery charge covers the cost of the insurance premiums for driver's liability.

I usually tip 3 bucks, maybe twice a year we will get our entire order for free by surprise which is always a nice perk to tipping well (if that has anything to do with it).
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    If you don't like delivery fees you should look for a place that doesn't charge them, or go get it yourself. The delivery fee is NOT a tip. They might get a dollar of it if they're lucky, other places nothing at all.

While it's a bit of a scam (as I'm sure high volume chains do profit as opposed to just covering the cost), it is supposed to cover the extra overhead that comes from the delivery side of the business. And there is extra overhead: computer mapping, insurance (as mookeywrench said), hot bags, keyed rate charges by some CC companies, etc. Back when I delivered pizza there was no such thing as a delivery fee at most places. I used to find the advertisement of "No Delivery Fee" pretty funny, as I'd never heard of anybody doing it in the first place. The costs were just seen as part of the overall cost of running the business. At some point they decided to just pass those costs on to those using the service instead of spreading it out across all prices. Is that a good move? Probably not, they could probably cover it by just charging a little bit more across the board. But at the same time I know how customers can be, somebody would complain about paying that little bit extra for a service they're not using.

In any case, your problem is with the company, not the person delivering it. You should tip drivers based on performance, or what you normally tip people, and consider the devilery fee as part of the price of the pizza, which it is. I doubt you'll find any place that gives all or a majority of it to the driver though.
  • Options
    jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    Blessed with a lot of family owned pizza places in town, including my uncle's restaurant. None of the family owned businesses charge a delivery fee. I ALWAYS tip the driver and tip generously, more so when weather is crappy too. Helps them to pay their insurance and wear and tear on their vehicle.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    If you don't like delivery fees you should look for a place that doesn't charge them, or go get it yourself. The delivery fee is NOT a tip. They might get a dollar of it if they're lucky, other places nothing at all.

While it's a bit of a scam (as I'm sure high volume chains do profit as opposed to just covering the cost), it is supposed to cover the extra overhead that comes from the delivery side of the business. And there is extra overhead: computer mapping, insurance (as mookeywrench said), hot bags, keyed rate charges by some CC companies, etc. Back when I delivered pizza there was no such thing as a delivery fee at most places. I used to find the advertisement of "No Delivery Fee" pretty funny, as I'd never heard of anybody doing it in the first place. The costs were just seen as part of the overall cost of running the business. At some point they decided to just pass those costs on to those using the service instead of spreading it out across all prices. Is that a good move? Probably not, they could probably cover it by just charging a little bit more across the board. But at the same time I know how customers can be, somebody would complain about paying that little bit extra for a service they're not using.

In any case, your problem is with the company, not the person delivering it. You should tip drivers based on performance, or what you normally tip people, and consider the devilery fee as part of the price of the pizza, which it is. I doubt you'll find any place that gives all or a majority of it to the driver though.
    Hey, thanks for taking what I said and making wild assumptions about it. Did I say anything remotely close to "I consider the delivery fee to be a tip"? Nope. I just tip a bit less if there's a delivery fee. Is it fair? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. But that's what I do.

You know what else? If I'm dining out, I will pretty much automatically give at least 20% of the total check (post-tax) as a tip. But if you add in the 18% (pre- or post-tax) gratuity to my check for a party of 6 or 8 or whatever? Yep, that's all you're getting.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    JTH wrote:
    I just tip a bit less if there's a delivery fee. Is it fair? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. But that's what I do.

You know what else? If I'm dining out, I will pretty much automatically give at least 20% of the total check (post-tax) as a tip. But if you add in the 18% (pre- or post-tax) gratuity to my check for a party of 6 or 8 or whatever? Yep, that's all you're getting.
    I absolutely agree with this.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    It's incredibly rare that I have food delivered anymore. Maybe once in the last 2-3 years...and I believe I was sick and didn't want to go anywhere. I like to go get pizza. Right out of the oven, burn your face hot is where it's at! :D

That said, I'm always a generous tipper. Unless the service is shitty, I tip well. I make good money now. I figure why not help out those who are busting their ass off, not getting paid shit and who are serving me?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Poncier wrote:
    Dunkmaaan!! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm with the Juggler.

We always tip standard or above on deliveries, a bit more when it's from one of our regular places.

Good back-scratching and everybody's happy, happy, happy.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Some reason they don't see the humor in customers answering the door naked.. :?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    I live so far out in the sticks that no place will deliver here. I will,
    however, tip the counter person, when I pick up, but only if she's hot.
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    Hey, thanks for taking what I said and making wild assumptions about it. Did I say anything remotely close to "I consider the delivery fee to be a tip"? Nope. I just tip a bit less if there's a delivery fee. Is it fair? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. But that's what I do.

I wasn't talking to you.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    I live so far out in the sticks that no place will deliver here. I will,
    however, tip the counter person, when I pick up, but only if she's hot.
    :lol:
    Hot chicks have it so damn easy!

But yeah...I probably tip more if whoever is serving me is hot.
  • Options
    jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    So the way the op titled this thread, are there really people who don't tip at all?
  • Options
    jbarbian wrote:
    So the way the op titled this thread, are there really people who don't tip at all?

Reservoir-Dogs-Mr-Pink-Tip-Percent.jpg
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Only assholes don't tip.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    jethrojam420jethrojam420 Foxborough MA Posts: 1,075
    I usually tip 1 dollar per item, with a minimum of $4 plus whatever change.

Even after this http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=222648 I still gave 4. I guess I just remember having a job working for tips.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    Poncier wrote:

OI !!!!
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    How do you get a pothead off of your porch???

pay for the pizza
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    jbarbian wrote:

My brother doesn't even tip in restaurants. He says that if they don't like it they can find a job that pays better. The prices are high enough as they are, why should I have to pay even more to someone that is doing their job.

duska3419 wrote:
    Only assholes don't tip.

And a lot of people say that about my brother.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    It's incredibly rare that I have food delivered anymore. Maybe once in the last 2-3 years...and I believe I was sick and didn't want to go anywhere. I like to go get pizza. Right out of the oven, burn your face hot is where it's at! :D

That said, I'm always a generous tipper. Unless the service is shitty, I tip well. I make good money now. I figure why not help out those who are busting their ass off, not getting paid shit and who are serving me?
    I tip well...
    I over tip...
    I have been told by many that I over tip....

But I will NEVER ever say that a pizza delivery guy is "busting his ass" :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:
    How do you get a pothead off of your porch???
    pay for the pizza

That is fucking CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    My brother doesn't even tip in restaurants. He says that if they don't like it they can find a job that pays better. The prices are high enough as they are, why should I have to pay even more to someone that is doing their job.

Maybe HE should get a better job if the prices are too high for him, or at least cook his own food.
    But I will NEVER ever say that a pizza delivery guy is "busting his ass" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It really was the easiest job I ever had. I just drove around smoking cigarettes and listening to music, occasionally jumping out and delivering a pizza. The last days of my pizza delivery career coincided with the first official bootleg releases, and I'd just listen to PJ shows all night. Come to think of it, maybe I should quit my job and become a pizza guy again. :lol:
  • Options

Maybe HE should get a better job if the prices are too high for him, or at least cook his own food.

Actually, he owns his own construction company and doesn't really care about the money; he does very well. He just doesn't think that tipping should be something. Just pay the people right and they will do a good job without needing a tip.

Someone mentioned how if there are X amount of people or more they will add the tip automatically. They did this to my brother one time and he crossed it off paying only for the amount of the bill. When they approached him on it he said "I don't tip. If you don't like it, call the police", or something like that.