Options

predictable setlists???

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think they're filming a DVD this tour.
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Only complaint....open with a rocker once in a while.

I think that will happen. Even though I have to admit: I like the slow building concerts. I haven't been at the concerts, but I can imagine that they start with that strange piano/ guitar soundscape when they enter the stage. (Like they used to do with Philip Glass and/or Master Slave.) And just slowly start jamming.

Would be interesting to see Pendulum at the end of a set once, for I think that this song can be used both ways.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    Still, am I the only one buzzed that they played Other Side?

It blew my mind. There is a great youtube clip of this floating around where you can see Stone turn to Eddie at the end with a smile and "Wow!"

You still didn't explain to me, why this was played at Worcester. It could be that I missed something on this board.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    JimmyV wrote:
    Still, am I the only one buzzed that they played Other Side?

It blew my mind. There is a great youtube clip of this floating around where you can see Stone turn to Eddie at the end with a smile and "Wow!"

You still didn't explain to me, why this was played at Worcester. It could be that I missed something on this board.

None of us know. Eddie (I think) said it was a request but didn't elaborate who requested it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

None of us know. Eddie (I think) said it was a request but didn't elaborate who requested it.

Was it a request on this board? If so, I am gonna flood it when the European tour comes ;) .
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

Was it a request on this board? If so, I am gonna flood it when the European tour comes ;) .

I didn't see it on the board. There was a request to have it played in Pittsburgh but that one didn't happen. My guess is the request came from a friend of the band. Maybe even Theo Epstein. (Former GM of Boston Red Sox. Friendly with Eddie and the band.)

• Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    I agree with you OP. I saw Brooklyn 2, and Philly 1 & 2 and this is the only time I've seen a PJ multiple night run where the shows were completely formulaic. The same certain songs were played at the same certain parts of the show every single night. It used to be that with the setlists Ed would try to create a different energy every night. By playing the songs in the same slots every night he seems to want to create the same energy every night. Pendulum opener here. Porch closer with light schtick there. Insert token rarity. Finish with Alive and a cover. Not saying its bad and I'm not complaining. However it does lend more predictability to the shows than they've ever had. Personally I'd rather they keep those songs in the sets but experiment with moving them around again. Open with Lightning Bolt one night. Come out and start an encore with Pendulum. Close the first set with Alive one night. End the show with Porch into Ledbetter. I like it when they keep me on my toes.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    smanchac1 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    That was like 7 songs you mentioned out of shows with 34 songs (BK had 31).

Here's what was not predictable:

- Chloe/Crown in main set
    - Oceans to open encore
    - Brain of J and Hail Hail not in very beginning of set
    - 1/2 Full
    - A ten song first encore
    - Eruption
    - Sleight of Hand
    - Parachutes
    - Leaving Here
    - Amongst the Waves
    - Satan's Bed
    - Untitled --> MFC
    - DTE --> Go --> Porch
    - All those Yesterdays!!!!

And all those songs in predictable slots are fantastic every time

+100!

If you are unhappy with the shows, try doing less next time.

People are unhappy when they don't tour.
    When they do tour, they must complain.

Just be greatful to have them still playing music after 23 years. That's all that I care about.

They could play all of ten every night and I'd still attend. But that's just me I guess.

Agreed. I think the sets this tour have beaten the overall setlists from the last four years. IMO these are the best sets since 2006. But its so true, when the band doesn't tour it means they are breaking up or the end is coming. When they do tour, they play repeat too many songs. I agree with you, this behavior is almost nonsense. I know many on the board disagree. They have already roughly played 90 different songs this tour, that's incredible to me.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Felt, to me, like Philly 2 was a deja vu of Brooklyn 2. Still great shows, nonetheless.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    Album tours, especially early on, tend to be like this.

If you remember the Backspacer shows, there started being quite a bit of predictable setlist complaints because of the constant use of Just Breathe at the beginning of the first encore. The end of show sequence they use now has been in place for awhile.

We're still early in the tour, so I'm sure the structure will evolve a bit as they go. Still, these longer shows also really let them pull out some pretty unexpected stuff!
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    Felt, to me, like Philly 2 was a deja vu of Brooklyn 2. Still great shows, nonetheless.

Yes I felt that too in certain spots but overall I thought it was different enough to justify going to both of these
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    Pendulum > Three mellow songs > Rest of the first set. > Encore Break > Sit-down acoustic set > Four hard rockers > Encore Break > Covers/Hard Rockers/Alive > Songs with house lights up

That's the basic formula at this point. Certainly they can surprise you with song placements. But this, at least for right now, is the setlist structure.

The three "mellow songs" at Worcester 2 were Low Light, Given to Fly, and Do The Evolution.

Yeah I guess I just looked at the Philly and Brooklyn shows. Color me wrong. But still...Brooklyn 2 and Philly 2 had the exact same four opening songs. Sure there was a show in between. But that's still strange.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    Pendulum > Three mellow songs > Rest of the first set. > Encore Break > Sit-down acoustic set > Four hard rockers > Encore Break > Covers/Hard Rockers/Alive > Songs with house lights up

That's the basic formula at this point. Certainly they can surprise you with song placements. But this, at least for right now, is the setlist structure.

The three "mellow songs" at Worcester 2 were Low Light, Given to Fly, and Do The Evolution.

Yeah I guess I just looked at the Philly and Brooklyn shows. Color me wrong. But still...Brooklyn 2 and Philly 2 had the exact same four opening songs. Sure there was a show in between. But that's still strange.

And I really only looked at Worcester. There are a bunch of similarities between Philly and Brooklyn. You aren't wrong on that.

• Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    for gods sake.. really. I've been a fan since day 1, and only be lucky to see them 7 times. i'd give my left ball to be in your shoes... sure the setlist seem to have a certain structure or formular to them, more so than usual, but if you take a second a look at those setlist, and think to yourself, how many more band do you know that would do that, brooklyn night 1 and 2, had what 66 songs and only 10 repeats.. then philly 34 songs each night,... not sure of the reapeats there.. bottom line.. feel blessed .. would you rather they did an 18 song setlist, the same setlist every night.

i think not.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

I didn't see it on the board. There was a request to have it played in Pittsburgh but that one didn't happen. My guess is the request came from a friend of the band. Maybe even Theo Epstein. (Former GM of Boston Red Sox. Friendly with Eddie and the band.)

Than Mr. Epstein has some damn good taste!
  • Options
    GetRight13GetRight13 NY Posts: 586
    I agree with you OP. I saw Brooklyn 2, and Philly 1 & 2 and this is the only time I've seen a PJ multiple night run where the shows were completely formulaic. The same certain songs were played at the same certain parts of the show every single night. It used to be that with the setlists Ed would try to create a different energy every night. By playing the songs in the same slots every night he seems to want to create the same energy every night. Pendulum opener here. Porch closer with light schtick there. Insert token rarity. Finish with Alive and a cover. Not saying its bad and I'm not complaining. However it does lend more predictability to the shows than they've ever had. Personally I'd rather they keep those songs in the sets but experiment with moving them around again. Open with Lightning Bolt one night. Come out and start an encore with Pendulum. Close the first set with Alive one night. End the show with Porch into Ledbetter. I like it when they keep me on my toes.

I agree to a point with these peeps too as I was at all 4....Shows were great but it was just odd that they would play some songs on back to back nights like DTE both nights in brooklyn and Unthought Known both nights in philly or GTF...I expected to see sirens and the new stuff every night but not some of the older stuff. Still the shows were awesome and I am very grateful to be there for all 4. But I do see what these guys are saying. It just felt alittle more predictable then normal for PJ shows. I think the best two nights were Brooklyn 2 and Philly 1, although we did get Oceans and Sieght of Hand BK 1

Anyways just my 2 cents 8-)
    2023 Austin 1 & 2
    Ottawa 09/03
    MSG 1 & 2
    2013 Brooklyn (10/18, 10/19) Philadelphia (10/21, 10/22)
    2012 Atlanta 09/22
    2009 Albany 06/08 (Eddie Solo)
    2008 Bonnaroo 6/14
    2006 Albany 05/12
    2005 Philadelphia 10/03
    2000 Saratoga Springs 08/27
  • Options
    Here's what's predictable...

LB opener followed by usual opener.
    7-8 LB songs.
    Better man has the woah woah sing along and Eddie ramble runaway.
    Porch has a jam session and Ed on a light.
    Who you are will never be played.
    Last two songs the lights come on.
    Last two songs won't be anything new.

Everything in between is what's magic.
  • Options
    Here's what's predictable...

LB opener followed by usual opener.
    7-8 LB songs.
    Better man has the woah woah sing along and Eddie ramble runaway.
    Porch has a jam session and Ed on a light.
    Who you are will never be played.
    Last two songs the lights come on.
    Last two songs won't be anything new.

Everything in between is what's magic.

I would like to add: Tremor Christ will never be played!

Where in the name of Christ (all pun intended) is the love for Tremor Christ???
  • Options
    rylanrylan Posts: 206
    No offense, but are you guys that spoiled. We're in the middle of one if their best tours ever, they play 35 fucking songs a night, just put out a great album. Maybe it's time sell your tickets some more appreciative fans. Ah man I seen 4 shows in 5 nights and they repeated songs......unacceptable PJ. I know we all have high expectations for the greatest band in the world but come on this thread seems like a slap in the face to the effort they throw out there everynight. Anyway sorry for the rant.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    rylan wrote:
    No offense, but are you guys that spoiled. We're in the middle of one if their best tours ever, they play 35 fucking songs a night, just put out a great album. Maybe it's time sell your tickets some more appreciative fans. Ah man I seen 4 shows in 5 nights and they repeated songs......unacceptable PJ. I know we all have high expectations for the greatest band in the world but come on this thread seems like a slap in the face to the effort they throw out there everynight. Anyway sorry for the rant.
    I like you
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    listen all i was saying was this was the first time ever i knew what songs were coming next on more than 1 occasion. predictable was probably the wrong word to use, but a few songs were locked into certain slots which they never did before. brooklyn 2 and philly 2 started off with the exact same 4 songs. they were very similar shows which is probably why i left philly 2 slightly disappointed. heres the repeat songs from brooklyn 2 and philly 2 and their slot in each setlist

pendulum (1, 1)
    wash (2, 2)
    nothingman (3, 3)
    lightning bolt (4, 4)
    mind your manners (5, 6)
    hail hail (7, 8)
    sirens (10, 13)
    even flow (11, 12)
    infallible (12, 17)
    present tense (13, 16)
    unthought known (15, 27)
    state of love and trust (17, 26)
    given to fly (19, 15)
    better man (20, 20, main set closer both nites)
    yellow moon (22, 22)
    future days (24, 24)
    do the evolution (25, 19)
    porch (27, 28)
    blood (29, 31)
    leaving here (30, 30)
    alive (32, 32)
    yellow ledbetter (34, 34)

ive seen them 22 times, many multiple nite stands in nyc area, i seriously doubt youll find so many songs played in either the exact same spot or almost the exact same spot.

i love pearl jam. i had tons of fun. ill never stop going to see them. it was just something i felt during these shows, i know whats coming next, i never felt that before.